Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I know mining and prospecting advice for Vintage Story has been posted here quite a few times, but I'm having trouble digging it up. Whatever the bottom line is, or whatever the common approach is, I'm trying to convince a friend to give it a shot and he's still daunted from playing TFC. All I really remember is that you should turn on the easy chunk prospecting mode option at worldgen.
If anyone knows what page I can find those posts on, or just has basic advice, I'd appreciate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Private Speech posted:

Sounds like a very scientific book.

E: I know that the first thing to do in an apocalypse is to take an rv on a jaunt to the arctic of all places.

Max Brooks is a historian. Most of the chapters are based on a historical event, but reskinned as a zombie apocalypse.

Its not like heading into the wilderness to speed run The Long Dark was what everyone did, mostly a few suburbanites. And they mostly thought they were just going to be gone a little while because the government at the time was monstrously incompetent and pursued a policy of denial and obfuscation about the infection (luckily that could never happen irl).

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Vib Rib posted:

I know mining and prospecting advice for Vintage Story has been posted here quite a few times, but I'm having trouble digging it up. Whatever the bottom line is, or whatever the common approach is, I'm trying to convince a friend to give it a shot and he's still daunted from playing TFC. All I really remember is that you should turn on the easy chunk prospecting mode option at worldgen.
If anyone knows what page I can find those posts on, or just has basic advice, I'd appreciate it.

Turn on the actual prospecting mode for sure. Come into it with the idea that ore is hard to find but when you do find it there will be tons of it. Build like an actual mine with exploration tunnels and shafts. A single deposit of a given ore will last you for ages.

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!
I'll admit I haven't read 'World War Z' in a while, but from what I remember the zombie apocalypse there was a rather slow-burn affair at first. When it started actually spreading through the US, the news recommended people ride out the 'minor outbreaks' where it was cold, since zombies tended to freeze. And it only picked up as the outbreak got worse, making people head to the northern states at first, then further north into Canada.

The book makes a point of mentioning that most of the people doing this didn't even have basic 'hang out in the woods for an afternoon' camping experience, so strike one for survival. Strike two was that all the good or even moderate camping equipment/food stores got bought out fast, so a lot of people were going up there with bad equipment. And strike three, they're out, everyone was expecting things to be over and done with inside of a month, so nobody thought about rationing things or preparing for long-term survival.

End result of all of it was that everyone who went north exhausted their supplies and pretty much used up all of the food, hunting all the game to local extinction and dynamite-fishing and so on. Presumably all the stuff from towns was exhausted fast as well. Easy wood was likely all burned up on several hundred campfires per site. People got angry and fought over the remaining supplies. Cannibalism started to run rampant. And while the zombies tended to freeze, newly-infected zombies had a bit to wander, warmer days happened, and people were ignorant about how the zombie virus worked (or just plain selfish enough to hide it) that a lot of infected but not turned people showed up. Zombies started running rampant and it only got worse when it finally started warming up.

(And as mentioned, fleeing the area was rather difficult, due to people using up their fuel for fires/heaters. A lot of people didn't even want to go until it was too late, because they were afraid of zombies to the south.)

In-universe, Canada (or at least the border) is still a horrific death zone, with a lot of local extinctions of flora and fauna, a lot of frozen zombies that wake up every Spring, and a lot of pollution from trash.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Vib Rib posted:

To expand upon SM -

At game start there is a menu setting for allowing prospect pick node search - turn it on. I do 3 or 5 range, 6 or 7 just gets huge. The number refers to the number of blocks in each axis the game looks through with the broken block as center when in node search mode (press f default while holding the propick to toggle between density and node). This will tell you how many blocks in that radius are things it can detect. This is in contrast to standard density mode which just tells you what parts per 1k the chunk was designed with, which sometimes means something can have a low chance so it doesn’t actually spawn, even if the chunk data tells you it could have.

There was a prospecting pick mod that overlaid propick data on the map and was amazing but there are some bugs in 1.16 that need to be fixed. That mod makes prospecting way easier as it saves data rather than you making notes somewhere else.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Here's' what I said earlier in the thread about finding the local peak for ore using the propick in Vintage Story (minus the mod which I guess is broken now):

quote:

It took me FOREVER to figure out how to effectively use the prospecting pick, and finding tin can be a real pain. Some things to realize:

In density search mode, it's going to give you the same results for everything in the same "chunk" (map square you are standing on). Only the first block you destroy matters, the other two are just there to make prospecting a non-trivial task.

What you want to do is find any chunk with any appreciable amount of what you're looking for, and then use that as a starting point to find the "local peak" for that ore. Meaning that there will be a chunk with the highest percentage of ore somewhere, and then a lot of chunks with less surrounding it, like a heat map almost. So if you're seeing, say, 0.5%, move a few chunks in one direction, pro-pick again, and see if that percentage goes up or down. If it went down, try the other direction. If it went up, keep going in that direction until it peaks and starts to go down again. Then find the peak on the other axis. In this way, you can go from that crappy 0.5% which may just be the very edge of the ore area to a more respectable percentage. Then start digging shafts down and use the node search mode (if you have that enabled) to find what you're looking for.

Also, don't be afraid to prospect underwater. You can't drown, and the local peak can be at the bottom of an ocean. Well, at least you couldn't drown in the previous version, I haven't tried the newest release yet.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

StarkRavingMad posted:

Here's' what I said earlier in the thread about finding the local peak for ore using the propick in Vintage Story (minus the mod which I guess is broken now):
Thanks, I appreciate this and everyone else giving their advice. I'll try to keep this sorted! Seems like prospecting without the optional node search on is a pretty blind crapshoot.

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017
So I've held off on Icarus after hearing about the buggy mess when it first opened into early access.

How is it now? I've been itching for a survival crafting/building game, and been really wanting something like Green Hell but with more building and not in the jungle, or The Forest without zombies.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Perfectly generic, extremely grindy especially for Tier 4 technology items (required for a few of the later-stage missions).

I don't think it's super buggy, though I can't compare it to its early access state, but I can say there's still clearly some balancing and whatnot to be done.

Seems like there's a lot of trap skill points and whatnot especially if you only play solo.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Bears in space.
But not space bears.

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

I enjoyed Icarus' early crafting grind a lot, but I can't recommend the game right now. I'd check back on it in a year or so. The devs calling this a "1.0" release is bullshit. It should still be early access.
- There's stuff in the tech tree that is disabled with a "coming soon!" message
- Several buildings that are implemented are completely pointless, like the expensive 4th tier chemistry bench that adds no new recipes and only crafts slightly faster
- Alien creatures that were shown in the trailer video aren't in the game
- Space station gameplay shown in the trailer was also cut
- Most of the talent tree is crap, and there's no way to respec yet (coming soon! lol).
- The world is full of earth animals walking around, but you have to wear a spacesuit and eat rocks to breathe
- Bears can run up steep rock cliffs to get you

Also if you do try it out, be aware that the mission timer is real-time, not game-time. If you're on mission when the timer runs out, your character is permanently deleted. This is weird because if you die on a mission, you can respawn. So... get my face torn off by bears: no problem, respawn. Forget to finish a mission before I leave on vacation: dead forever. :shrug:

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Vib Rib posted:

this was the most in-depth discussion of it iirc

Short version find copper nuggets on the ground -> mark their locations as you collect them > once you've foraged enough to make a pick and hammer go back and mine under those locations > make a propick with your now much larger supply and try to find tin (which sucks) or iron (which is abundant but usually deeper).

usually you should just devote any bronze-making alloys you find to bootstrapping directly into iron forging, if you start wasting your tin or whatever on bronze spears and poo poo before you have iron production figured out you're liable to rapidly hit a dead end where you can't do anything better than copper without starting over in a totally new area

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jan 24, 2022

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
So far, every time I've found copper nuggets on the surface, it's been only one. In TFC I'd get clusters of them in an area, sometimes 10 or more, but here I can never find more than one, maybe two per spot. I mark them diligently but it's been days and I have only about 6 nuggets. Not a great start.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Believe there should be more like 4-5 in a deposit on average, still low enough that you need to find several copper sites but not so rare that you won't be well into mining and metalworking by late summer. If that's happening over multiple worldgens I'd hit up the devs and ask them what the hell. There's definitely still a lot of jank in how the world gets populated

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jan 24, 2022

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Short version find copper nuggets on the ground -> mark their locations as you collect them > once you've foraged enough to make a pick and hammer go back and mine under those locations > make a propick with your now much larger supply and try to find tin (which sucks) or iron (which is abundant but usually deeper).
So how far under should I be looking? I actually did luck into a premade copper pick from an urn in a ruins so I was able to make a prospecting pick, too. Do you just dig more or less straight down from wherever you found the nugget? Is doing this even without a propick viable? Because I've sampled the nearby stone and not found any copper, but maybe I just need to trust it.

E: It was this. Just dug straight down from where I found those nuggets and eventually hit a thin, disc-shaped deposit of native copper. Prospector's pick in node mode didn't say there was anything, but I guess my range is only 4 so maybe not a great indicator to begin with.

Vib Rib fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Jan 24, 2022

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

Vib Rib posted:

So how far under should I be looking? I actually did luck into a premade copper pick from an urn in a ruins so I was able to make a prospecting pick, too. Do you just dig more or less straight down from wherever you found the nugget? Is doing this even without a propick viable? Because I've sampled the nearby stone and not found any copper, but maybe I just need to trust it.

E: It was this. Just dug straight down from where I found those nuggets and eventually hit a thin, disc-shaped deposit of native copper. Prospector's pick in node mode didn't say there was anything, but I guess my range is only 4 so maybe not a great indicator to begin with.

Yeah, that's a surface deposit. They are only tiny to small, but one or two will usually give you enough material to make enough picks for some real mining. Do note that, as you've seen, surface deposits like that are non-indicative of a bigger deposit deeper; they are their own independent things and don't show up in the propick prospecting results afaik.

As said, you should always find the highest local peak using the propick first before starting your main shaft. For copper, you can hit 60-70% on the upper-end for more copper than you'll ever need, but ~30% is solid enough to be worth it if that's what you peak at. And you can still get dud shafts, which sucks, but that's life.

Jawnycat fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Jan 24, 2022

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Jawnycat posted:

Yeah, that's a surface deposit. They are only tiny to small, but one or two will usually give you enough material to make enough picks for some real mining. Do note that, as you've seen, surface deposits like that are non-indicative of a bigger deposit deeper; they are their own independent things and don't show up in the propick prospecting results afaik.

As said, you should always find the highest local peak using the propick first before starting your main shaft. For copper, you can hit 60-70% on the upper-end for more copper than you'll ever need, but ~30% is solid enough to be worth it if that's what you peak at. And you can still get dud shafts, which sucks, but that's life.
So since finding surface ore doesn't indicate large deposits, the only real way of finding those large deposits is just to roam around and test every now and then? I did the zeroing to find an actual copper deposit, but it only reached as high as about 9% so I think I'm best served packing up elsewhere. Did find some sphalerite along the way which briefly got me excited because I'd confused it for cassiterite.

I'd like prospecting a lot more if it just gave results on the first block instead of having to do three separate not-too-close, not-too-far samples.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

There should always be a copper vein under a cluster of nuggets, that's the main point of the nuggets. Other, deeper stuff, like iron, you have to propick for or stumble across in a cave. To the extent you feel like you can survive it wandering around the underground is probably going to get you results quicker than taking samples all over the surface, the propick only works in an iirc 32 block radius, which is a lot of ground but won't reach far enough down to regularly find high-tier ores from ground level.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Vib Rib posted:

I'd like prospecting a lot more if it just gave results on the first block instead of having to do three separate not-too-close, not-too-far samples.

This is the difference between node and density search. Node search (initially off by default) breaks one block and tells you exactly what is within the range of the node search (which is set at game start or when node search is enabled in an active game). Density search requires breaking 3 rocks and is the one that gives parts per 1000 (it looks like % but there are two 0s in the lower one).

Turns out I didn't have the latest version of the prospecting pick map overlay mod. That one helps a ton because it lets you know not only the things you've found, but where chunk boundaries are so you know you're testing in a new spot.

Once you have an area where you want to find the deeper ores, I make a fuckload of ladders and make boreholes, doing node searches every now and then along the way. Sometimes I drill right through an ore disc, sometimes my node search will get a positive and I go digging around the local area.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Yeah, I know about the two modes. I just wish the broader search also only took one break, it's obnoxious to have to keep digging 3 tile deep holes just to prospect. TFC let you just tap the dirt and keep going, which was nice, even if it was a less exhaustive search.

As long as I'm getting the newbie run-through, a few more assorted questions:
1. Is there any benefit to smithing something that could just be cast? In TFC there was, you got a slight durability bump, but here it just seems to cost hammer durability for no benefit, so anything that can be cast probably should be. Plus the smithing minigame is... very strange and not a lot of fun.
2. What do the actual numbers mean on the broad search? The game goes to great lengths to say it's not how much ore there actually is but rather an indication of the generation chance? If I find a chunk that says 8‰ galena does that mean that's the chance of there being a galena deposit there, or what? I know bigger number = more likely big deposit, but I'm not really sure where the line is between "exists, but probably not a big vein" and "ignore this, there's no ore at all" like the game guides seem to keep insisting.
3. Are drifters meant to be this annoying, because god drat I dip underground in a tunnel for about 1 second and there's 8 of the bastards on me. Now they can throw rocks, too? Followup: Is it just me, or does the rock throwing animation drifters do not actually sync up with the rock throw itself? Like they'll do the animation and a rock comes out of them a second later. Or not at all. Or it comes out as soon as they start the animation. I assumed it was meant to give you warning but it just feels completely broken.
4. If I accidentally jump in water with my torch selected I extinguish the entire loving stack. Is there any quicker way to re light these than placing them and holding a lit torch to them?
Thanks in advance, I'm still getting my footing here.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

TFC?

afaict there's no difference between casting and forging, except that some things you can only forge. I could see having the option being useful if you were trying to throw together a one-off of something you didn't want to go through the whole mold-making process for, like a helve hammer, but most of the castable stuff is the things you're gonna go through a lot of copies of anyway

the percentages seem to be very low for 'overall chance of a vein spawning anywhere nearby' and very high for 'chance any given block will have ore', hosed if I know what they're calculating. Just go by low, decent, high, very high

drifters suck poo poo, they're kinda a load-bearing suck since half the game's balanced around them encouraging you to stay in at night and keep your trips underground short but they're absolutely no fun at all yes

Don't keep all your torches in one stack in the quickbar. Every other portable light source is waterproof and lasts forever, so as soon as possible make an oil lamp and stick it in your left hand slot. If you still need torches keep 'em in your pack and break one or two out as you use em.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jan 25, 2022

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Helve hammer making is the only thing in vanilla where there's a benefit to smithing than casting. The helve hammer mold takes 300 units, the smithed helve hammer takes 2 ingots. There's a mod that adds metal bits that you collect as you split off bits.

I'm also unsure of how, exactly, the calculations are done. When there's a 15‰ chance of copper, I feel like I run into copper constantly. When there's a 3‰ chance of hematite, I feel like there's sometimes maybe one hematite vein. I do wonder if it takes into account the size of the vein in that ppt, as in each 32x32 layer there's just over 1k blocks so you'd expect 15 of them to be copper or 3 of them to be hematite in this example. That would make sense why there's maybe 1 hematite vein because those veins are absolutely huge in comparison to a standard copper vein which are distributed everywhere. For ignoring or not, I agree with our Wizard, go by the relative densities the game describes them as or you hunt for things specifically. I'll make bore holes in a 2‰ hematite area because iron is super important and the vein's properties means it can be easy to find, but I will absolutely ignore a 2‰ cassiterite hit.

Drifters are meant to be the thing to keep you on your toes locusts and bells too, but there are ways to mitigate their interference. Above ground, having a homestead encircling fence that's lit by lanterns/protected torches means they can't spawn due to light levels and the temporal rifts are driven off by the light level itself. Underground, I place torches in dark areas to prevent spawning, and if I come to a fork I'll often block off the routes I'm not going so as to keep from being swarmed from a side tunnel. I regularly carry 20-30 blocks of dirt for this purpose, as well as 20-30 ladders. Note for ladders that while drifters can climb them they can't jump as high as you, so if you put a ladder 3 blocks up you can jump and "grab" it and climb up, but drifters can't. Stone throwing is new as of last patch, they'll likely be tweaking it.

Falling into the water holding a full stack of torches only to extinguish them all is a time honored tradition, welcome to the club. I have a lantern for belt/offhand usage, torches in the bag for exploration lighting usage. Early game, you can make do with an oil lamp.

TFC is Terra Firm Craft, the Minecraft mod that Vintage Story likely got most of its complexity ideas from.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

Vib Rib posted:

As long as I'm getting the newbie run-through, a few more assorted questions:

No direct benefit to forging over casting, tho if you've gotten quite good at forging it's much faster to crank out a single thing when you need it right now, doesn't take as long for the metal to heat up as it does to melt, and you can bang out simple stuff quicker than a cast can cool. Also convenience for being able to keep stacks of ingots lying around.

And yeah, drifters are absolutely the worst part of the game, I'm cool with the other enemy types cause they actually interesting visually and mechanically but drifters are just... ugh. Not fun.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Anyone play the harder wilderness survival mode for Vintage Story? It makes it very difficult, disabling the world map and coordinates among other things, and when you die it respawns you randomly somewhere within 5k blocks (unless you have one of those temporal gear thingies), which may as well be permadeath because you will never find your old stuff again without a map.

Even though it's so difficult I do kinda like the game on this mode. It makes it more of a survival horror experience the game seems to want to be. Drifters are very dangerous instead of just a nuisance and it really feels more like a struggle for survival. Without the map you really have to pay close attention to your surroundings and explore slowly to avoid getting lost. You usually have to travel long distances to find what you need in this game so having no map is a problem, and the world is so huge that getting lost could easily mean game over. Exploration becomes a huge challenge and it's a very different game when you can't just run for miles in any direction without getting lost. I try to do things like set up landmarks or build multiple little outposts all over the place within sight of each other, so I always know where I am. Or I pay attention to the sun to determine direction (clouds always move from west to east too). Having oil lamps set up on hills in the distance acts like a little beacon in the night. I've made it pretty far in this mode but finding ores is even more of a pain in the rear end.

I just wish there were more enemy types than the drifters. I know there are other types deep underground but you rarely see them, and there really isn't much reason to even go that deep underground anyway. The game needs more animals too but I guess future updates will add more.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
That's pretty cool, and would be a genuinely tempting way to play if 90% of all my deaths hadn't been from wolves. They give little to no warning if you just bumble into one over a hill or something, they run as fast as me (or faster), and I've run for a long time and not had them give up the hunt. Those bastards don't seem to de-aggro. Also they kill me in literally two hits. Drifters are annoying, but more easily avoided or ignored. Wolves are just terrible.

Also what do you plan on doing when you get a temporal gear and set your spawn, finally? Just go back to playing normally?

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Vib Rib posted:

That's pretty cool, and would be a genuinely tempting way to play if 90% of all my deaths hadn't been from wolves. They give little to no warning if you just bumble into one over a hill or something, they run as fast as me (or faster), and I've run for a long time and not had them give up the hunt. Those bastards don't seem to de-aggro. Also they kill me in literally two hits. Drifters are annoying, but more easily avoided or ignored. Wolves are just terrible.

Also what do you plan on doing when you get a temporal gear and set your spawn, finally? Just go back to playing normally?

This will change your life: Water. Water is the secret to killing everything. Everything sucks at swimming and you can just swim slightly farther away than it can bite/punch you and stab it to death. My first move when a wolf shows up is to immediately head straight for the nearest pond.

Of course, before I found that out I always kept a wolf pit outside my house so I could lead the stupid fuckers into it and stab them to death there. The growing collection of wolf bones adds character to any settlement.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Wolves also can't climb ladders, so my stack of ladders sometimes get panic placed on the side of a tree, built 3 up from the ground, that sort of thing and I stand up on top while it growls on the bottom and I shoot it with my bow. I usually roll Hunter for the move speed buff anyway.

The water thing is great though, that was and is remains a main anti wolf strategy.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I'll keep that advice in mind. Usually I get bit the second it shows up, turn to run, and then it reaches the bottom of the hill faster than I do, so I'm unlikely to make it to a nearby lake, but maybe I just need to be more vigilant.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Shout out to Wildlander, a new Skyrim overhaul out this month. It focuses on survival and immersion and I think it'd be worth a look.

https://www.wildlandermod.com/

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

Ivan Shitskin posted:

Anyone play the harder wilderness survival mode for Vintage Story? It makes it very difficult, disabling the world map and coordinates among other things, and when you die it respawns you randomly somewhere within 5k blocks (unless you have one of those temporal gear thingies), which may as well be permadeath because you will never find your old stuff again without a map.

Sounds like they were inspired by Better Than Wolves minecraft mod also, which was like that. Just make sure to always build up infrastructure when you respawn, and make roads/markers for exploring and eventually that will pay off. Better Than Wolves had it where you could build the compass to find your way back to main spawn though, so you would always eventually get back to your main base. Maybe something similar is possible in VS. So dying was to be avoided but mainly just a delay as you had to work back up to the compass. I liked that mod until he one day redid the whole early game to be super grindy.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Vib Rib posted:

The temporal gears are only good for two respawns, so you can breathe easy and play normally for a while when you have one, but not forever.

In my most recent game, I got lucky and got one of those gears early, then proceeded to die twice and lose my spawn point again. Both times I died from high level drifters sneaking up behind me and one-shotting me, scaring the crap outta me in the process. I got nervous and paranoid for a while after that but eventually got a new gear from a temporal storm. The 1.16 update added a new two-headed drifter type that spawns only in the storms and has a 100% chance of dropping a temporal gear along with a bunch of the normal gears for trading, which is nice. Before that, the temporal storms didn't really seem to have much of a point to them and were kind of annoying after a while (though they look cool).

And yeah wolves can definitely be a pain. I think the hunter class might be the best class in the game for that reason. You get that slight speed boost that lets you outrun them more easily, and you get that ranged damage and accuracy bonus allowing you to kill them more easily before they get too close. I've had them de-aggro me before but I think you might have to get far enough away from them before they give up. You can also pelt them with spears or arrows from a distance without aggroing them but you have to be pretty far away. And as others have said, water and pit traps are your best friends. I try to dig pits and trenches all over the place to catch wolves and drifters and everything else.

Another tip I don't think I've seen mentioned here yet is that you get more hit points if you eat more variety of foods. There are nutrition bars for grains, proteins, fruits and so on, and if you max out as many of those bars as possible, you get higher max hit points. Doing that combined with wearing even the most basic armor, like the improvised wooden armor or wooden lamellar armor can go a long way to help deal with surprise wolf attacks. Thrown spears do the most damage of any weapon, so when a wolf surprises me I try to throw a spear at it and then immediately switch to the sword and hit it a couple of times, which should be enough to make the wolf run away quickly without it killing me.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

Pie making is enormous for food too. Once you can get some real grain farming going you can make all sorts of stuff into pie, which fills you up super well and lets you get a variety of nutrients.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Ivan Shitskin posted:

The temporal gears are only good for two respawns, so you can breathe easy and play normally for a while when you have one, but not forever.
Ahh, I totally misunderstood what that mechanic in the world options was for. In the default settings they're good for infinite respawns, I hadn't thought to compare. That's a neat mechanic then!

Spanish Matlock posted:

Pie making is enormous for food too. Once you can get some real grain farming going you can make all sorts of stuff into pie, which fills you up super well and lets you get a variety of nutrients.
Huh, I'd read that pies only take one food group each. Still learning.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Each pie is two food groups (grain + whatever), but they give you a means to semi-preserve fruit for winter, where before that required honey which is possibly the rarest resource in the game

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Oysters Autobio posted:

So I've held off on Icarus after hearing about the buggy mess when it first opened into early access.

How is it now? I've been itching for a survival crafting/building game, and been really wanting something like Green Hell but with more building and not in the jungle, or The Forest without zombies.

It is not good. Super underbaked, lots of very poor design decisions, halfass storyline that doesn’t pass the smell test, and blatant asset flipping. Skill & tech tree rendered useless since you can easily kill anything in the game with T2 bow & arrows with enough skills, and higher tech is a brutal not fun grind.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Speaking of VintageStory, did the Better Than Wolves or Feed The Beast Minecraft mods ever get spun out into something stand alone? I adored messing with pipes and mining setups in the latter, which I suppose tracks well to Sastifactory/Factorio, but I did enjoy the survival elements of it. The former had some fun moving platforms and stuff you could make, but it was a Flowerchild venture so idk if it's even available for download on any given day.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Blizzard’s next new game will be a survival game. I’m cautiously optimistic.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Each pie is two food groups (grain + whatever), but they give you a means to semi-preserve fruit for winter, where before that required honey which is possibly the rarest resource in the game

Whenever I get my first filled skep, I usually make anywhere from 10-16 to place around and collect two hundred or so flowers to surround them.... I like bees :kimchi:

The new juicing mechanism is also where you can make long lasting fruit satiety out of berries; honestly it's a lot easier than jam. Currently fruit juice does not have a decay timer (which seems real odd and is probably going to get patched at some point), but the first stage of alcohol is still as simple as, "seal lid of barrel when you have a round number." 32 berries (2560 satiety if eaten straight) turns into 2000 satiety fruit juice, which turns into 1600 satiety wine/cider. Jam uses 2 berries (160 satiety) and now 0.4L honey and returns 400 satiety, so I'm not actually sure if it's that much of a gain.

With barrels being easy to make, and buckets also being easy to make in bulk, I think that's better than making crocks (even without sealing them) and sticking on shelves or in a trunk. You can stack a filled bucket up to 4, so in a trunk you can fit 1280 liters of or alcohol (or juice I guess).

A note on pies. If you make them out of the same ingredients, they can stack fairly high. With a ~28 day decay timer in a cellar, that's a decent way of extending the life of fruit or meat. If you make a fruit pie out of a variety of fruit ingredients, if you make them exactly the same - as in, if the first pie is (per click) 1 cranberry, 2 white currant, and 1 blueberry, the 2nd pie must be the same berries put in the same order. If you do the 2nd as 1 blueberry, 2 white currant, and 1 cranberry, it will not stack with the first.

But if the main pie stacks, so too will the slices. You can hold a ton of satiety in one inventory slot with appropriately stacked pie slices.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Why? Blizzard has spent years systematically failing at making WoW xpacs good, and that was before all this poo poo went down and they got eaten by MS. How is their first entry into a genre absolutely glutted with janky, poorly done, 'babbies first set of hunger and thirst meters' promising? They've never done anything even remotely in this wheelhouse before.

I can't see it as anything other than the first attempt to paint over all the poo poo that's gone down with some cheap hype.

ShootaBoy fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jan 27, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Vintage Story, is there any mid/late-game brick or pottery kiln, or is it only pit kilns forever? Are there any doors that are safe to use for food cellars, or will I forever be blocking up the entrance?

Also I got so frustrated being short on sticks all the time I learned how to write a mod just so I could make it so you can cut firewood into sticks. I hate breaking leaves for five minutes just to make some ladders.