Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Joan posted:

How about Axelay for the SNES? The secondary challenges could be beating it on higher difficulty levels and doing it with no continues.

yeah I don't think I ever played that, sounds good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

i remember hearin axelay was cool, good pic rookie

oh yaeh i put together a list of games from th first two game clubs:

super punch out
alien soldier
the legend of zelda
symphony of the night
super hang on
gargoyle's quest
mystical ninja starring goemon/goemon's great adventure

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

got in there. the first stage almost made me say gently caress this but im glad i stuck through. the final boss is a chump if you stnad on the far left
also put me on the list i want to make everyone play mystic towers

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Fungah! posted:

i remember hearin axelay was cool, good pic rookie

oh yaeh i put together a list of games from th first two game clubs:

super punch out
alien soldier
the legend of zelda
symphony of the night
super hang on
gargoyle's quest
mystical ninja starring goemon/goemon's great adventure

lolling at the 10 hour games and super hang on catching the blame

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

mbt posted:

got in there. the first stage almost made me say gently caress this but im glad i stuck through. the final boss is a chump if you stnad on the far left

added

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
>games that should be easily cleared
>goemon's great adventure

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

mbt posted:

i veto mystic towers, way to waste your vote

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

ArfJason posted:

lol seriously

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

trying to jack off posted:

lolling at the 10 hour games and super hang on catching the blame

i think some ten hour games should be okay if we expand to 2 weeks during that, but :shrug:

SOTN was a good pick back then

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

ArfJason posted:

lol for real. and you had to beat mystical ninja he same week lmao

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
i beat goemon's great adventure and didnt think it was hard iirc?

asking for n64 emulation was wrong tho

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

That Little Demon posted:

i think some ten hour games should be okay if we expand to 2 weeks during that, but :shrug:

SOTN was a good pick back then

Maybe, even though w&w sucks it was nice that everyone could beat it in a quick sitting and everyone could discuss it which made it a really good choice. if people are feeling time pressure they'll just quit or play it in their own time making it bleed into the next week, which is bascially what happened to the old thread

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Maybe, even though w&w sucks it was nice that everyone could beat it in a quick sitting and everyone could discuss it which made it a really good choice. if people are feeling time pressure they'll just quit or play it in their own time making it bleed into the next week, which is bascially what happened to the old thread

yeah I guess we will just play it by ear but I want this thread to last longer than the other 2

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Beat the game under the wire. Thought I'd have time to game this week, but the week got away from me. I don't have time to try for the no continue achievement. If this game did not have instant continues, I would have not even attempted it. If you had to start the level over with no items after a continue, it would be a terrible game. That being said, it was fun to jump around and brute force through the levels knowing there are no consequences. Throw this one in the mediocre column.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

yeah I guess we will just play it by ear but I want this thread to last longer than the other 2

:hai: imo games like sotn also shouldnt be nominated because its something everyone has either played or intends to, people should be using it as a chance to nominate fun little games that might easily have been missed

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

:hai: imo games like sotn also shouldnt be nominated because its something everyone has either played or intends to, people should be using it as a chance to nominate fun little games that might easily have been missed

yeah agreed, much more fun if the games are new to at least some of us

I haven't played much Axelay but looks fun, good choice Joan

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

herculon posted:

Beat the game under the wire. Thought I'd have time to game this week, but the week got away from me. I don't have time to try for the no continue achievement. If this game did not have instant continues, I would have not even attempted it. If you had to start the level over with no items after a continue, it would be a terrible game. That being said, it was fun to jump around and brute force through the levels knowing there are no consequences. Throw this one in the mediocre column.
uh it ends tomorrow at 11:59 est so you have time

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

see, i liked playin sotn because it gave me an excuse to do the luck run that i'd been meanin to do for a while. i definitely agree that most of them should be little gems and short games but its nice to have a classic now and then. like if someone picked mario 64 i wouldnt mind playing that for a week or two

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
the very original thread which I can't find was the 120 star challenge in Mario 64 and it lead to a wormskull video that is an all timer lol

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

uh it ends tomorrow at 11:59 est so you have time

can't. I'm done for the night and I got to be back to work in person tomorrow.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

elf help book posted:

this. :frogbon:

It was 2 weeks in that thread to be fair.

ArfJason posted:

I don't think this was a stipulation in the last 2 threads (or this one either) but it's probably a good idea if we're sticking with 1 week

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

herculon posted:

can't. I'm done for the night and I got to be back to work in person tomorrow.

call in sick

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

you make a good point

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

tell them it's for IZGC. they'll understand

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

It's been so long that I don't remember exactly how we picked games last time, I vaguely remember a twitch stream being involved

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Axelay sounds dope. proto-Treasure game.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Evil Eagle posted:

It's been so long that I don't remember exactly how we picked games last time, I vaguely remember a twitch stream being involved

I think that was just for the reveal, we rotated consoles and used one of those survey websites to get the numbers I wanna say. It was open submission in recommending games.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

gonna try to play this game before the deadline.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Plebian Parasite posted:

Axelay sounds dope. proto-Treasure game.

assplay

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Axelay is a good choice, I always thought it looked cool

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

oh yeah i remember axelay being posted about on some ancient snes review page. specifically how it goes crazy with mode 7

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

herculon posted:

Infinite continues singlehandedly elevates the game from 'piece of poo poo' to 'perfectly fine.'

e: looking forward to axelay

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

elf help book posted:

asking for n64 emulation was wrong tho

Iirc it gets kinda bullshit in the latter worlds

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

maybe theres an old thread where i bitched about it

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

P-Mack posted:

Infinite continues singlehandedly elevates the game from 'piece of poo poo' to 'perfectly fine.'

lol it kind of reminds me of wario land 3 in a way, if you're just trying to beat it damage is just a nuisance so the challenge is to overcome the game annoying you. It does get a lot more bearable with the feather though

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
The games not amazing but its fine. Honestly the thing im most mad about is that i got tricked into playing a rareware game

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
shoutouts to Sub-Actuality for designing the trophys this week (you'll see soon)

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

beatin this tonight when i get home

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

i finally started wizards and warriors. i got stuck in the caves for a while, i think i had to get a random speed potion to make a jump i needed to get the red key.

is the cloak of darkness supposed to actually do anything helpful.

also i found an item called THE HORN in a chest which just replaced my lava boots and did nothing when i pressed select. not even mentioned in the manual. i guess it's just a trick. speaking of which, i can't believe they have loving kaizo blocks in the tree ascent.

i tried to climb the castle for a while and decided to pause for the night. i think i'll be able to beat it before the deadline but i'm not attempting the no continues challenge. this game is mostly frustrating but also extremely lenient with the endless lives. and i did feel cool when i figured out i could run past all the bats and then levitate so they just ran into my sword :cool:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

the horn reveals secret doors, it sucks