Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

pantslesswithwolves posted:

https://twitter.com/POTUS/status/1485612824583888898

Biden trying really hard to have his legacy be "Personally Responsible for An Episode of 'Well There's Your Problem.'"

"We're leaving it to the states to decide their own weight restrictions"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Notahippie posted:

Yeah, Macron is at least consistent and strategic - he wants a stronger EU foreign policy with military capacity independent of the US and he'll generally push in that direction. The Germans are acting more out of character here and it sure looks from a distance like they're fragmented internally and kind of freaking out about getting caught between the gears here.

It could be national memory of the cold war where America would have totally thrown Germany under the bus to the Russians if it came to that. Personally I'm surprised Germany wouldn't want to fight Russia to the last Ukrainian purely out of remembering that.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Defenestrategy posted:

It could be national memory of the cold war where America would have totally thrown Germany under the bus to the Russians if it came to that. Personally I'm surprised Germany wouldn't want to fight Russia to the last Ukrainian purely out of remembering that.

If everyone went full revanchist nobody in Europe would be able to work with anyone else in Europe.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
:stare:

School shooting in Germany. 3 injured, One victim dead, gunman killed self

https://news.sky.com/story/amp/germany-lone-gunman-dead-after-shooting-several-people-at-university-in-heidelberg-12524362

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

My official Stock Market advice today is:

wat

https://twitter.com/ZekeJMiller/status/1485720041551273990

https://twitter.com/stocksworldbull/status/1485721587446075392

Also, Pauline Bauer's argument of being a free woman upon the land didn't get her out from pretrial detention with the DC Circuit Court of Appeals.

https://twitter.com/ZoeTillman/status/1485720202448941068

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

PookBear posted:

Once again this thread is being intentionally dumb and thinking that billionaires losing 3% of their net worth is going to magically do something, while ignoring the fact that a market crash only hurts middle class and down in quality of life.

the middle class is doomed and everyone's obsession over the market going up is what killed it. best to get it over with.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Millions of middle class people are relying on their 401ks and/or pension plans (including millions of Americans in unions) tied up in the market for their retirements. Wishing the market to tank when suicides go up by tens of thousands a year when the market tanks is royally hosed up.

It's never going to be the bloody nose you think it will for the rich and wealthy.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

I'm just never going to retire and work until I die. problem solved

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

And if you die young, you win!

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

pantslesswithwolves posted:

https://twitter.com/POTUS/status/1485612824583888898

Biden trying really hard to have his legacy be "Personally Responsible for An Episode of 'Well There's Your Problem.'"

Is this real?? Bridges shouldn't have weight restrictions?? :psyduck:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Is this real?? Bridges shouldn't have weight restrictions?? :psyduck:

Pretty sure the implication is supposed to be that the trucks would be crossing better bridges that can handle their weight instead of having to reroute.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Bored As gently caress posted:

Millions of middle class people are relying on their 401ks and/or pension plans (including millions of Americans in unions) tied up in the market for their retirements. Wishing the market to tank when suicides go up by tens of thousands a year when the market tanks is royally hosed up.

It's never going to be the bloody nose you think it will for the rich and wealthy.

I forget which comedian it was after 2008 had a bit about formerly wealthy people who had been reduced to a middle class lifestyle killing themselves, “they’d rather die than live like us.”

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Pretty sure the implication is supposed to be that the trucks would be crossing better bridges that can handle their weight instead of having to reroute.

lmao yea that makes a lot more sense, holy poo poo :negative:

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
lol I read it the same way, and if the tweet had come from e.g. Ted Cruz I don't think that interpretation would have been exactly wrong

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Trucks should ford rivers

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ElMaligno posted:

Trucks should ford rivers

What about caulking them? This is a reference that me and like the 5 other people who played Oregon Trail I or II like crazy would get

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Marshal Prolapse posted:

What about caulking them? This is a reference that me and like the 5 other people who played Oregon Trail I or II like crazy would get

I think you underestimate the number of old Millennials in this forum

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nick Soapdish posted:

I think you underestimate the number of old Millennials in this forum
You know, after someone here even picked up my Harpoon and Norm Koger references, I should know better. Then again if I can accidentally trigger a 5 page derail on Oregon Trail that would be pretty cool. lol

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I never realized that shooting buffalo early in the game directly lead to their disappearance in later areas.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Marshal Prolapse posted:

You know, after someone here even picked up my Harpoon and Norm Koger references, I should know better. Then again if I can accidentally trigger a 5 page derail on Oregon Trail that would be pretty cool. lol

Rich guy making GBS threads in water.
The middle class has dysentery.

Rip in pepperoni.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Platystemon posted:

I never realized that shooting buffalo early in the game directly lead to their disappearance in later areas.

Holy poo poo.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Platystemon posted:

Does it? I never noticed but we had superstitions while playing, like bear meat makes you sick. I was also playing before I understood measurements so didn’t realize risking a 20ft deep river fording wasn’t a matter of luck. That would be an interesting scene in a movie, a single wagon disappearing below the waves to dodge a $5 ferry toll.

A friend’s dad had been one of the original developers and they never realized until later how nearly everyone was familiar with the game.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Platystemon posted:

Beans: 0lbs.
Sugar: 0lbs.
Powder and shot: 400lbs.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I really want Oregon Trail as a phone game but like m.u.l.e., there are no good free versions in the google app store.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Platystemon posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojz74do412A&t=35s

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I really want Oregon Trail as a phone game but like m.u.l.e., there are no good free versions in the google app store.

if anyone finds one let me know

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I just checked again, nothing. And mule now shares the name with some a/v app. Booo.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Wasabi the J posted:

Holy poo poo.

My reaction also

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Proud Christian Mom posted:

the middle class is doomed and everyone's obsession over the market going up is what killed it. best to get it over with.

did you miss the part of my post that says it hurts the middle class and below or do you actively want working class to die

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

The stock market going down no longer hurts the mega rich and corporations. The massive gains since 2008 have mostly been corporations and CEOs buying back shares from shareholders to insulate themselves so when the bottom finally does drop out, the only casualties will be what's left of the middle class.

Then we can have Neo-Feudalism and referring to Elon and JeffyB as anything other than STAR LORD MUSK and BOX LORD BEZOS will be punishable by the lash - and loss of Prime status.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I recall that the equation for the speed of the wagon is nonsensical, in that if you attach maximum oxen to a light wagon and set “gruelling pace”, the wagon goes far faster than any animal has a right to.

Gruelling pace takes its toll on your team, but the negative effects happen on a per‐day basis, and you’re covering so much ground per day that you still come out ahead.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
The market crashing to dust would just be the rich people putting the poors in their place. That's exactly why the system is like it is. Well, that and boomers increasingly marching towards fascism.

If we really gave a gently caress as a country we would have shot down the march to stuffing everyone's money in the markets a long time ago, and passed laws to ensure people had pensions, or that businesses wouldn't pay their CEOs 100x more than their employees. If Bezos shut down amazon tomorrow, who would it hurt more? Him? Or the people who have to settle for his working conditions? The customers? The stockholders?

If the stock market collapsed tomorrow, entirely, the only people unscathed would be the rich. Just how they like it. Free market!

:smithicide:

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
if the market tanks the government will just bail it out yet a loving gain. I look forward to being told how universal health care is impossible and if Congress goes GOP it being my fault because I'm not on my local school board or whatever the gently caress though

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

maffew buildings posted:

if the market tanks the government will just bail it out yet a loving gain. I look forward to being told how universal health care is impossible and if Congress goes GOP it being my fault because I'm not on my local school board or whatever the gently caress though

BE THE CHANGE YOU WANT TO SEE IN YOUR COMMUNITY, MR. MAFFEW BUILDINGS. :colbert:

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
CBS renewed Ghosts. Also 2 meh shows.

https://deadline.com/2022/01/ghosts-the-neighborhood-bob-hearts-abishola-renewed-cbs-season-2-4-5-1234918761/

Watch Ghosts. It's good.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

maffew buildings posted:

Nobody's blaming you for dumb things happening outside your control, just pointing out that there are avenues where you absolutely can have real impact should you choose to get involved. It would probably feel good to get some wins, no matter how minor!

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

The market crashing to dust would just be the rich people putting the poors in their place. That's exactly why the system is like it is. Well, that and boomers increasingly marching towards fascism.

If we really gave a gently caress as a country we would have shot down the march to stuffing everyone's money in the markets a long time ago, and passed laws to ensure people had pensions, or that businesses wouldn't pay their CEOs 100x more than their employees. If Bezos shut down amazon tomorrow, who would it hurt more? Him? Or the people who have to settle for his working conditions? The customers? The stockholders?

If the stock market collapsed tomorrow, entirely, the only people unscathed would be the rich. Just how they like it. Free market!

:smithicide:

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

The markets have been bouncing down all morning.

I do, in fact, love to see it.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

PookBear posted:

did you miss the part of my post that says it hurts the middle class and below or do you actively want working class to die

it hurts the working class when it goes up

it hurts the working class when it goes down

number does not matter

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

Bored As gently caress posted:

theyre going to get eaten alive. the market is not a retirement plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Proud Christian Mom posted:

it hurts the working class when it goes up

it hurts the working class when it goes down

number does not matter

If it doesn't matter then could you gently caress off forever and not talk about it here with your dumb doom posting