Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Mortimer Knag posted:

That's the banner and a picture but there was like 2 (3?) Other pages in black and white with it that had fluff and stats and other stuff that I can't find. Not that the stats are important that's just something I remember it having

It's the first reply of that reddit link

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

kzin602 posted:

(The horse dong defender has logged on) Yes, all warhorses are stallions. Horse dong is part of a stallions general shillouette.

Most warhorses were gelded. Stallions are a pain to control if there are mares in heat anywhere nearby.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Gonna give all my knights hot lady horses so enemy cavalry will be too horny to fight properly, like a Tex Avery cartoon

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Big Bad Beetleborg posted:

Gonna give all my knights hot lady horses so enemy cavalry will be too horny to fight properly, like a Tex Avery cartoon

You joke, but that was a legitimate tactic when dealing with knights who thought that stallions were a good idea.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
There's a Norse legend that can be summed up that Loki turned into a mare in order to seduce a workhorse away from being used to build a wall around Asgard, then came back a while later with an eight legged foal which would be known as Sleipnr, Odin's horse.

So uh yeah that's a decently known tactic if it's enshrined in myth.

Spanish Manlove fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Jan 25, 2022

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

chin up everything sucks posted:

You joke, but that was a legitimate tactic when dealing with knights who thought that stallions were a good idea.

To be a peasant soldier fighting in the mud and the muck and getting to witness a moment when that happens.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0ARLA5tjmQ

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

AndyElusive posted:

To be a peasant soldier fighting in the mud and the muck and getting to witness a moment when that happens.

One of the biggest historical moments I know of where it happened was during the Mongol invasions of eastern europe - the mongols favored small nimble ponies, usually mares. The heavy cavalry they went up against were made mostly of nobles, who largely favored "the biggest horse" and the end result was that their cavalry charges kept falling apart as the stallions would either fight each other for dominance, or they would break ranks to go chasing after the mares they could smell.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Or they'd never get a chance to counter attack because the Mongols had already shot their load of arrows leaving half the enemy nobles dead and started riding away at speed

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

That doesn't sound like a Tex Avery cartoon AT ALL. Did the stallion's eyes even pop out their heads and go aoooogah like an old timey car horn?

Also

Scratch Monkey posted:

the Mongols had already shot their load

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I was under the impression that's why geldings became popular.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

Depends on the culture; a lot of horse cultures preferentially used mares for war or raiding even when they had geldings, due to both temperament reasons and the fact that a mare can produce food for her rider.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Like Clockwork posted:

Depends on the culture; a lot of horse cultures preferentially used mares for war or raiding even when they had geldings, due to both temperament reasons and the fact that a mare can produce food for her rider.

that's right: baby horse burgers

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Doo doo doo doo doodoo

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
*mare producing some tupaware and a thermose*

"I made ya'll some pb&j sandwiches, I call them pb&neighs. Just a little horse humour for ya haha"

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/BitsHammer/status/1487047908885102592?s=20&t=02Cq7HoP72LMhIJnJN8z9g

quote:

Imagine thinking that you need to pay a mega company that hates you, for a year, for a paid advertisement subscription service, just to get a single model that you could just print

IMAGINE.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
Nobody tell Matt "GW Bootlicker" Austin that the internet is already full of people just copying GW (and every other IP) minis and either releasing them free or selling them for not-stupid-GW prices. If he's shocked by this, he'll likely faint and I wouldn't want to jeopardize his delicate sensibilities

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

you two have some kinda beef?

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Kaza42 posted:

Nobody tell Matt "GW Bootlicker" Austin that the internet is already full of people just copying GW (and every other IP) minis and either releasing them free or selling them for not-stupid-GW prices. If he's shocked by this, he'll likely faint and I wouldn't want to jeopardize his delicate sensibilities

Yeah putting free sculpts of GW minis on printing websites is cool and good and should be encouraged

Pretty sure his comment is about someone getting this mad about a model only being free if you subscribe to a magazine. Like what, you're supposed to be able to just ask and have GW mail you a mini at no cost? That's not really how the world works.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Yeah putting free sculpts of GW minis on printing websites is cool and good and should be encouraged

Pretty sure his comment is about someone getting this mad about a model only being free if you subscribe to a magazine. Like what, you're supposed to be able to just ask and have GW mail you a mini at no cost? That's not really how the world works.

I think their angle is more being able to just buy the mini alone.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

GW has difficulty enough using its development resources fairly amongst all the armies, these 'vanity' and event-limited figures only use up more of it while some figures are only available in resin for many non-Marine armies or sets are from the older side of the millennium.

I doubt the figure is accurate enough that one could try and sneak it by in an official tournament, and even pals in your local group will notice it's a print rather than the real deal even using the fanciest available resin printer.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

I want EXACTLY the minis that GW makes, absolutely and exactly the same but I don’t want to buy them is a terrible argument. 3D printing has so many exciting applications in wargaming and mini design, but just straight up scanning and copying a mini someone else designed is a truly uninspirational move

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

lenoon posted:

I want EXACTLY the minis that GW makes, absolutely and exactly the same but I don’t want to buy them is a terrible argument. 3D printing has so many exciting applications in wargaming and mini design, but just straight up scanning and copying a mini someone else designed is a truly uninspirational move

Some people just want to feel like they outsmarted the system I think. They have no interest in thinking a bit further ahead and acknowledging that if the company who pays the sculptors and writers isn't making money, that they will stop producing content.

There was something of a debate in the Dropfleet group recently over this:

Some guy who wants a single model of anything produced after the Kickstarter to make molds from. Particularly focused on single piece small ships of all factions.

Somone suggested he needs replacement parts. Someone suggested he is kit bashing. Someone suggested it is because stock is harder to find in North America.

I would suggest he is attempting to make some money recasting the new releases for a less crowded market.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I've seen scans of OOP metal figures, which is a cool way to own a piece of nostalgia without getting fleeced on the secondary market.

There's also a lot of freedom in being able to buzz out proxy figures for a small time investment and a cheap/ free STL. A person might not be $$$$$ interested in an army, but think they're neat enough to do a $ - $$ proxy or bolster "legitimate" purchases.

And in conclusion, this thicc genestealer cult magus:

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team
Now I understand how people can be recruited into Genestealer Cults.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

It's the revolution-bearing hips.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

moths posted:

I've seen scans of OOP metal figures, which is a cool way to own a piece of nostalgia without getting fleeced on the secondary market.

There's also a lot of freedom in being able to buzz out proxy figures for a small time investment and a cheap/ free STL. A person might not be $$$$$ interested in an army, but think they're neat enough to do a $ - $$ proxy or bolster "legitimate" purchases.

Reproducing an OOP mini is ok I think, it isn't taking a sale away from the creators. I'm not even that down on proxies in general, if the official model isn't good enough to make you part with your cash that may be saying something. I dunno, it gets a bit murky. I tend not to play games unless I like the minis.

moths posted:

And in conclusion, this thicc genestealer cult magus:

For me, the original is one of the best minis GW has done in recent years. It is distinct, interesting, but not overworked.

So obviously it needed bigger tits.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Geneshrinkers

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Miniature piracy is no different than any other piracy.

Personally, I have never pirated something I was planning on purchasing, and quite often the act of pirating has acted like a "demo" for me to then purchase the product later - my steam library is packed full of games I pirated first then bought. I think I've pirated-then-purchased more games than I have just flat out purchased.

As for GW specifically, I would much rather buy a "not-Emperors Champion" stl for $5 from some rando online who created the sculpt himself than buy a similar model from GW for $45, since the $5 goes into the creators pocket instead of some shareholder's investment portfolio.

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

Stealing anything from a large corporation is cool and good.

I paid an Eastern European dude for stls of all the tyranid models. You cannot convince me to be sad about that.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

So cool and good!

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

If I steal from PP or Wyrd is it also acceptable?

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

If you buy a Deathjack, does John Winter get the money?

The answer to that question is almost always the inverse of "is it morally correct to pirate this?"

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Personally, I have never pirated something I was planning on purchasing, and quite often the act of pirating has acted like a "demo" for me to then purchase the product later - my steam library is packed full of games I pirated first then bought. I think I've pirated-then-purchased more games than I have just flat out purchased.

As for GW specifically, I would much rather buy a "not-Emperors Champion" stl for $5 from some rando online who created the sculpt himself than buy a similar model from GW for $45, since the $5 goes into the creators pocket instead of some shareholder's investment portfolio.

I bought a $5 stl, printed it, painted it, added it to my army then you know what I'm just so chuffed with it I went and bought the similar original $45 GW model a week later. No different to any other piracy.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

Ugleb posted:

Some people just want to feel like they outsmarted the system I think. They have no interest in thinking a bit further ahead and acknowledging that if the company who pays the sculptors and writers isn't making money, that they will stop producing content.

I think most people who pirate stuff understand how businesses work, but they just figure that the paying market can subsidise them getting what they want for free, which is probably correct for when it comes to more popular stuff. GoT being the most pirated show of all time didn't cause HBO to cancel production half way through.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

Vagabong posted:

GoT being the most pirated show of all time didn't cause HBO to cancel production half way through.
Unfortunately

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Vagabong posted:

I think most people who pirate stuff understand how businesses work, but they just figure that the paying market can subsidise them getting what they want for free, which is probably correct for when it comes to more popular stuff. GoT being the most pirated show of all time didn't cause HBO to cancel production half way through.

Minor correction: the paying public isn't subsidizing the pirates, the property is already created and the creators -- the ones who matter, anyway -- already got their money back. If anyone is getting "ripped off" it's the folks that had no hand in product's creation and distribution.

In GW terms, the sculptor got paid, and therefore no further compensation is owed. Pirate all day, every day, gently caress shareholders and rentseekers.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Screaming Idiot posted:

Minor correction: the paying public isn't subsidizing the pirates, the property is already created and the creators -- the ones who matter, anyway -- already got their money back. If anyone is getting "ripped off" it's the folks that had no hand in product's creation and distribution.

In GW terms, the sculptor got paid, and therefore no further compensation is owed. Pirate all day, every day, gently caress shareholders and rentseekers.

So it's free for all to pirate any and all miniatures?

What about the guy who commissions sculptors and outsources casting? Pirate away and drive them under so anyone without a 3d printer is driven out of the market? This describes virtually all of the market outside of the big names btw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
If you didn't do the work, then you shouldn't expect be paid, simple as that. Labor theory of value, baby.