Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Tokelau All Star posted:

I hate hate that on my Roku TV i have to exit back to the loving homescreen settings to toggle subtitles on Disney+ and HBO Max, then go back in. Especially since the stuff I watch on those are most likely to have the loud as hell action scene vs library quiet talking scene volume swing.

Yes! This is precisely what I'm talking. What the loving who thought that was good design? I think I did hear though that HBO admitted their app sucks and are working on a redesign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Junkie Disease posted:

South Korea is making Netflix's bangers and Netflix killed (almost) daredevil, Luke cage and MST3k
Without south Korea Netflix is pretty weak to me

Wait what? Daredevil and mst3k were super popular and well received, Luke Cage not so much though.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
GDT's "Pinocchio" is coming to Netflix. A stop motion animated musical?

https://twitter.com/NetflixGeeked/status/1485613391561560066?s=20

quote:

Directed by del Toro & Mark Gustafson with an all-star cast: Ewan McGregor as Cricket, David Bradley as Geppetto, Gregory Mann as Pinocchio, Finn Wolfhard, Cate Blanchett, John Turturro, Ron Perlman, Tim Blake Nelson, Burn Gorman with Christoph Waltz and Tilda Swinton.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
its wild 2 me that people are like "wow netflix doesn't have anythign i havent watched before" and not realize maybe thats cause theyve watched everything & not because of an flaw with netflix

haha

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

precision posted:

its wild 2 me that people are like "wow netflix doesn't have anythign i havent watched before" and not realize maybe thats cause theyve watched everything & not because of an flaw with netflix

haha

Well it's not that I've already watched every Christmas Prince film so much as I have no desire to, and then they have films like Red Notice that are so incredibly bland that I would struggle to recall anything about it minutes after finishing it

Don't Look Up was better than I expected though, but still about 30 minutes too long

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Wolfsheim posted:

Well it's not that I've already watched every Christmas Prince film so much as I have no desire to, and then they have films like Red Notice that are so incredibly bland that I would struggle to recall anything about it minutes after finishing it

Don't Look Up was better than I expected though, but still about 30 minutes too long

Really sucks that this is all the original content Netflix has

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
An issue for content judgement is that Netflix releases stuff in a binge format while other services release via weekly, so it seems that Netflix has bigger gaps in their service than they actually do.

The Modern Leper posted:

I guess what is "looking" in 2022. Unless you're getting fed stuff in the carousel, what is actually a meaningful way to find shows of interest? In the linear days, you had TV Guide to get synopses and whatnot, or you could just bounce around the channels and see what caught your eye on Wednesday at 8. Hell, even when cable made that onerous, you could just sit on the GUIDE channel and get a rundown of what was around.

Netflix has eliminated most of its own public facing categorization and curation, certainly in its tv-based interactions, and most of their stuff relies on licensed or created originals so it's not even as if you can say "I missed a season of that show/missed this big movie." You mostly only know about something if Netflix tells you it's there. If you're someone who's not terminally online, how do you even know what's available, much less what's good beyond the big tentpoles?

EDIT: This is true for all of them, but I feel Hulu and HBO have done a better job of straight genre or subject matter searching.

The days of TV Guide are dead. Today finding shows is generally done by search engines, web articles, and word of mouth social media. People searching "Best shows on *insert streaming service here*", sites like Variety running news and reviews of various series, and Facebook/Twitter feeds of memes and viewing experiences are what pushes modern shows.

Field Mousepad posted:

Wait what? Daredevil and mst3k were super popular and well received, Luke Cage not so much though.

The Marvel shows were canceled by Disney due to Disney+ launching.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

precision posted:

haha

Have you considered that maybe they watched the .5% of Netflix stuff that is worth watching and not literally everything on Netflix? You don’t have to watch every episode of “2 hot to handle” to consider the well of content a bit dry lol.

I watch like 3 hours of Netflix a month and most of the time I can’t find anything I want to watch on there.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Rupaul isn't on Netflix anymore so it's pretty worthless to me.

The Korean stuff is cool but also very hit and miss.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

MST3k was not received well enough for them to dick them over a half season order they had to Kickstart to just make ends meet then canned

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Netflix's whole strategy was to start by making critically-acclaimed stuff to gain legitimacy, then switch to interesting genre stuff to target media savvy folks to gain loyalists, then diversify their catalogue to have a handful of things for every single demographic that trickle out at just a slow enough rate to keep a mass volume of people subscribed. It's not that they stopped making good stuff, it's that they stopped making things exclusively targeted at the goon demo. Now they make stuff for your mom and your lame coworkers and inscrutable teenagers as well as you.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

veni veni veni posted:

Have you considered

haha literally any time a post starts with these 3 words u know ur in for it

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

We had elderly relatives staying with us for the last week so we started watching Great British Bake-Off, and you know what, it's loving great.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Tokelau All Star posted:

We had elderly relatives staying with us for the last week so we started watching Great British Bake-Off, and you know what, it's loving great.

It's very soothing and cheerful, especially the 1st few seasons.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Tokelau All Star posted:

I love it so much. It's nice having a competition show that completely avoids the reality TV stereotypes.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Where is this "Almost everything Netflix puts out is crap!" coming from?

Looking at their "latest" page it doesn't seem to have a worse good/crap ratio than say Hulu's.

Famethrowa posted:

I love it so much. It's nice having a competition show that completely avoids the reality TV stereotypes.

I may actually watch this show since it's getting such good word of mouth.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jan 25, 2022

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Tokelau All Star posted:

Wow, did Netflix US lose the earlier seasons of GBBO somehow? Now they only have “Collections 5-9” and none of the BBC ones.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

smackfu posted:

Wow, did Netflix US lose the earlier seasons of GBBO somehow? Now they only have “Collections 5-9” and none of the BBC ones.

They've never had the earliest seasons, at least I don't think. PBS aired the first few seasons. 5 is the first one I watched, and I watched it on Netflix.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

PBS didn’t start airing the show until BBC s4 so the numbering is confusing. Netflix used to have Collections 1-4 (BBC s4-7) plus a separate Beginnings series (BBC s3). I guess their contract with PBS expired so all those are gone.

https://heresthedish.com/gbbo-vs-gbbs/

Dead Nerve
Mar 27, 2007

One thing Netflix is excellent at is their original limited series. Granted most of these are non-fiction documentary style stuff but they're really good at it.

One of the main complaints I've been hearing from people in the last few years are shows getting cancelled before they're finished and getting bummed out never seeing the conclusions. I hope Mr. Hastings realizes this and they start giving creators a timeframe for how long their shows will run upfront.

More shows like the queens gambit please, where going into it you know how long it is and you're getting the complete story.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

smackfu posted:

I guess their contract with PBS expired so all those are gone.

Could be. The last time I looked for the excellent Mind of a Chef, it wasn't on Netflix anymore.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Yeah, PBS has starting to put things on their own website, which MIGHT be free. I’ve forgotten if you need to authenticate or not for access, and if that’s dependent on your local affiliate or not.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Edward Mass posted:

Yeah, PBS has starting to put things on their own website, which MIGHT be free. I’ve forgotten if you need to authenticate or not for access, and if that’s dependent on your local affiliate or not.

They have stuff that's free but you do have to tell it what your local PBS affiliate is. That's for the live feed and probably for viewership data. They do have a paywall for some things though.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Jose Oquendo posted:

They have stuff that's free but you do have to tell it what your local PBS affiliate is. That's for the live feed and probably for viewership data. They do have a paywall for some things though.

Thank you, it’s been a while since I went out of my way to watch PBS over-the-top.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Hulu has Prophecy
Is best
Case closed suckkas
https://youtu.be/D8Sr_VBZNKo

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Timeless Appeal posted:

Better Watch Out is great
No...no...
Bad. Bad.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I know I watched all 13 or whatever hours of Ken Burns Presents: Ken Burns' Vietnam: a Film By Ken Burns on the PBS website without having to log in or anything... that was good...

gently caress I'm tempted to watch it yet again lmao

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I'm watching The Gilded Age on HBO, the new show from the creator of Downtown Abbey. I don't have much hope given how quickly Downton Abbey went to poo poo. I do like the cast, Christine Baranski and Carrie Coon. But everyone looks like they filmed each scene on a green screen.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I just found out that Tubi has the Batman 1960's TV series. I wondered why and somehow I totally missed the fact they were acquired by Fox (the pieces of Fox that Disney didn't get) which would explain it.

Anyway, it's really wild show and if you've never seen it but only heard about it or seen clips or spoofs, check it out. The show looks amazing in high definition.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
It is the single greatest live-action superhero adaptation of all time, bar none.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

punk rebel ecks posted:

Where is this "Almost everything Netflix puts out is crap!" coming from?

Looking at their "latest" page it doesn't seem to have a worse good/crap ratio than say Hulu's.

I may actually watch this show since it's getting such good word of mouth.

Like 90% of the Netflix produced movies they push on the front page has an IMDB rating of 5/10

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

ymgve posted:

Like 90% of the Netflix produced movies they push on the front page has an IMDB rating of 5/10

Out of curiosity, I looked up the IMDB scores of the "Only on Netflix" tab for the first 10 movies that appear on my feed:

tick, tick...BOOM! - 7.6
Bad Trip - 6.6
The Witcher: Nightmare of the Wolf - 7.3
The Ballad of Buster Scruggs - 7.3
Kingdom: Ashin of the North - 7.0
#Alive - 6.6
The White Tiger - 7.1
Between Two Ferns: The Movie - 6.6
The Hand of God - 7.4
The Irishman - 7.8

That averages out to 7.13, which isn't bad at all.

I'd typically do a victory lap, but being honest the list just proves how utter poo poo IMDB is. #Alive is the lowest rated movie on the list and is the best. The Irishman is at the top but I found it very boring. Looking at IMDB's best shows of all-time list is insane. Rick & Morty is somehow almost in the top ten.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Star rating systems are garbage anyway. It used to be interesting but it's just sort of a dumb revenge tool now.

Honestly finding someone whose opinion you trust is the best method, then after that I liked the dual rating system of critics.and audience scores of rotten tomatoes. It's not impervious either but it's a decent judge.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

BonoMan posted:

Star rating systems are garbage anyway. It used to be interesting but it's just sort of a dumb revenge tool now.

Honestly finding someone whose opinion you trust is the best method, then after that I liked the dual rating system of critics.and audience scores of rotten tomatoes. It's not impervious either but it's a decent judge.
Or use Criticker which automates the process of finding people whose opinion you trust.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

The only thing you need to see to know that anyone who actively uses IMDB ratings as a barometer is just dumb

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Or use Criticker which automates the process of finding people whose opinion you trust.

This is *awesome*

It did take me a while to find 10 moves I'd seen (through it's "load more" option) and the ones I did end up rating weren't like... movies I particularly cared about.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

You mean you guys don't just see what everyone is excited about in this thread and poo poo on it while watching the stuff that everyone complains about instead?

:aaa:

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Jose Oquendo posted:

I just found out that Tubi has the Batman 1960's TV series. I wondered why and somehow I totally missed the fact they were acquired by Fox (the pieces of Fox that Disney didn't get) which would explain it.

Anyway, it's really wild show and if you've never seen it but only heard about it or seen clips or spoofs, check it out. The show looks amazing in high definition.

I’m going have to check this out. I remember early in my marriage (20 years ago), us getting really high and watching Batman: The Movie (1966). God it was a blast.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
the old batman show is endlessly watchable. theres so many like quadruple entendres

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Sorta like cowboy bebop then?