Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
a woke cop sitcom was a bad idea in the first place

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Christopher Dorner sitcom when.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

muscles like this! posted:

The problem with cop shows is that the cops are pretty much always right. So it ends up with a lot of "ends justify the means" crap where sure the cop goes too far but he did it because it was stopping a bad guy

And even if it's one of those episodes where there's a last minute twist where the guy you think did it was innocent and it was, like, his secret twin brother, or something, they are always so understanding.

"Sorry for arresting you, beating you while in custody, ruining your life, having your wife divorce you and job fire you...but we're out here trying to catch a PEDOPHILE!"

"Oh, I understand, no harm done, you've got a hard job."

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Even in shows like B99 where they did try to have some sort of consequence for Peralta, say the episode where he falsely accused a guy and then kept hounding him, the episode ends with him being suspended and then next week it's "Hey guys, I'm back from my 3 month suspension!"

I get that it's tv and you can't not have your main character on screen, but still, made it feel like nothing ever actually happened to him.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

the_steve posted:

Even in shows like B99 where they did try to have some sort of consequence for Peralta, say the episode where he falsely accused a guy and then kept hounding him, the episode ends with him being suspended and then next week it's "Hey guys, I'm back from my 3 month suspension!"

I get that it's tv and you can't not have your main character on screen, but still, made it feel like nothing ever actually happened to him.

i'm very confused about the idea that nothing ever happens to jake because like every single season ender cliffhanger ends up with jake in some extremely different bad situation and then figuring out how to fix things

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
If we didn't have bad things happening to Jake we would have never gotten his best friend the cannibal.

CombatBonta-kun
Sep 22, 2003
Ehhhh?

Push El Burrito posted:

The last season really went big on "the system is corrupt and needs huge changes". The main antagonist is a police union rep.

I don't remember the exact details, but I recall an episode in the last season where they find evidence that the union rep knew of and knowingly hid evidence of a police officer doing something corrupt.

The detectives in the 99 find this out, bring it up to someone pretty high up and she goes "oh, this is bad" and deletes it right in front of them. She then goes on about how the system will just keep the bad cop anyways, so in order to avoid a few years worth of red tape, it is better to just ignore it and make it go away.

Seems like something that happens on a regular basis in the real world.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

MariusLecter posted:

Christopher Dorner sitcom when.

‘Don’t Corner The Dorner’ is a fabulous name for a show.

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

B99 definitely has its problems, but, as many other posters have said here, it did a better job of presenting the corruption of the American police system better than most other shows. Yeah, arrest competitions and "Jake's always right" and those sorts of things aren't great, but the show depicts almost every other cop onscreen as incompetent or outright malicious, and the last season does try to address things a bit more head on. A lot of it is "baby's first wokeness about police corruption" but, goddamn, this is America and I will take what I can get when 99% of other cop shows are BLUE LIVES MATTERS kind of poo poo

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Jim Caviezel got struck by lightning while filming a scene of The Passion of the Christ. I'm pretty that would make even the most staunch atheist stop, but they just kept rolling.

The QAnon Anonymous episode on Jim Caviezel is required listening. A bunch of former staff anonymously submitted lots of insane Caviezel stories.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Jim Caviezel being a qanon was so obvious I can't believe anyone would be surprised. I mean his biggest movie was playing loving Jesus in a movie directed by a guy who basically is a prototype for the current right wing chud.

Yeah it's not exactly shocking, just a shame.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Apparently during filming “the passion of the christ” Caviezel would only respond to the name “jeezy caveezy” in order to stay in character

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

docbeard posted:

Yeah it's not exactly shocking, just a shame.

Was this a :dadjoke:? Because it was good, given a post or two before it that mentioned the lightning strike.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Icon Of Sin posted:

Was this a :dadjoke:? Because it was good, given a post or two before it that mentioned the lightning strike.

...yes. Yes it was. No it wasn't. But it should have been.

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣
lot of christian messaging in that movie tbh

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

e X posted:

Brooklyn 99 still uses the general ideas and plotlines of other show have established. When the main character dates a defense attorney it's very much treated as a betrayal and in at least one episode they arrest a known jewel thief on zero evidence and then have to scramble to get the evidence/a confession out of him before they have to release him. When they actually do manage to proof he was involved at the last second, it's treated as a huge win.

Not to mention the general trope of all crime shows, that every suspect keeps talking to the police without a lawyer present! Which is of course necessary for the plot to happen, but it still helps to push the idea that it is reasonable behavior. Then there is also the problem that being arrested, or accused, by the police is shown to actually be the same as an actual conviction by a court. Even if the police managed to find "ironclad evidence", you really shouldn't just blurt out a confession. Half of Colombo's cases probably wouldn't lead to convictions, since his theories are quite often without solid evidence. The problem is really less any given show in particular, but the general conventions and tropes of the entire genre.

I used to really like The Closer, and I still say it’s one of the most well crafted shows on middle cable (TNT, I think? So not HBO level, but not “tried to air a Hannibal series on NBC,” either). In terms of storytelling, it does a lot of really cool things, and it likes to put clues to solving the crime in various places and…doesn’t point them out at all. If you were paying attention, you might notice the SUV owned by the parents screaming about their kidnapped daughter has two child sized stick figures, but they don’t mention their second kid til the 3rd act, and that ends up being the key to unlocking the case.

But holy poo poo, I can’t watch it anymore. The entire THEME is “badass cop lady gets confessions when no one else can!” It’s literally a documentary on all the ways cops will try to coerce or otherwise trick you into pleading guilty to avoid trials.

I miss all the character interactions, and watching how they put the show together really fires my storytelling neurons hard, but it makes me too angry, knowing what I’ve learned about life in the meantime.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
All of this is why Justified is the best.

Raylan is a lovely person who is good at shooting people who are also lovely and the entire conceit of the show is that he's no better than the people he's after, the only difference between them is that he wears a badge.

It also helps amazingly well that Raylan is not a cop, focused on cop poo poo. He's a federal marshal, meaning generally speaking, if you fall on his radar, you've done something to deserve it or have a hell of a story about how you didn't.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Caviezel Wept...

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

I used to really like The Closer, and I still say it’s one of the most well crafted shows on middle cable (TNT, I think? So not HBO level, but not “tried to air a Hannibal series on NBC,” either). In terms of storytelling, it does a lot of really cool things, and it likes to put clues to solving the crime in various places and…doesn’t point them out at all. If you were paying attention, you might notice the SUV owned by the parents screaming about their kidnapped daughter has two child sized stick figures, but they don’t mention their second kid til the 3rd act, and that ends up being the key to unlocking the case.

But holy poo poo, I can’t watch it anymore. The entire THEME is “badass cop lady gets confessions when no one else can!” It’s literally a documentary on all the ways cops will try to coerce or otherwise trick you into pleading guilty to avoid trials.

I miss all the character interactions, and watching how they put the show together really fires my storytelling neurons hard, but it makes me too angry, knowing what I’ve learned about life in the meantime.

I loved the Closer and I have the exact same feeling. At one point she literally impersonates a suspects lawyer to get information and hand waves it away with the reasoning that she never actually said she was his lawyer. (She just implied it by her actions and said nothing when he ask). It also has an arc where she faces disciplinary action or a law suit due to her methods and it is about as toothless as the SVU one.

Chloe Jessica
Nov 6, 2021
Pick 2.0
all cop shows should end the same way Seinfeld did

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

just imagine Seinfeld if they had the Botox technology the members of SVU have

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Chloe Jessica posted:

The last season is just episode after episode of each character being tried and jailed for illegal conduct.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Chloe Jessica posted:

In 1997?

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Except the law says cops don't have to help if they see anyone in danger.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I don't think B99 was meant to be a copaganda show. I think the show runners thought "I wonder if you could set a sitcom in the L&O universe" and tried to come at it from a fresh perspective for years until they figured out they couldn't and stopped. I dunno what else you can ask for.

Didn't mean to doesn't mean that they didn't make copaganda

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Baba Yaga Fanboy posted:

B99 definitely has its problems, but, as many other posters have said here, it did a better job of presenting the corruption of the American police system better than most other shows. Yeah, arrest competitions and "Jake's always right" and those sorts of things aren't great, but the show depicts almost every other cop onscreen as incompetent or outright malicious, and the last season does try to address things a bit more head on. A lot of it is "baby's first wokeness about police corruption" but, goddamn, this is America and I will take what I can get when 99% of other cop shows are BLUE LIVES MATTERS kind of poo poo

I'd much rather never have a cop show again.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Make more goofy doctor shows like Scrubs. Or any other profession.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Make every show a variant of Sports Night

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Improbable Lobster posted:

I'd much rather never have a cop show again.

Cops are an easy source of drama, especially for a procedural.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
I forget if I've posted about it in this thread before but the copaganda can be annoying in Psych, especially the character of Lassiter who they try to make sympathetic and somewhat 'noble' despite being a trigger happy conservative climate denying cop. Probably a character who would be a lot different if the show started in the last few years.

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣
People love pop psychology and police procedurals, so I'm surprised copaganda shows haven't leaned harder into appropriating police reform ideas and language. Cops with counselling training and psych degrees who can talk down the ledgejumper AND shoot the terrorist! Public meetings where concerned citizens beg for more police patrols! They actually let the suspect talk to his lawyer (the jury finds this suspicious and convict him later)!

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Ugh how I hate the coplove shows. My mom was on a huge Blue Bloods kick for a while, and if I ever hear that Walhberg rear end in a top hat whine about how people don't respect cops (in between shots of him beating suspects) I will suspect I am in hell.

Same with SVU. I vaguely remember an episode where a convicted chomo attacked and held hostage one of the detectives. I think it was Olivia? Either way the dude wasn't a child molester; the squad had hosed up and convicted him, and he had never done anything with kids at all. She kept trying to insist they followed the evidence, apologizing once in a while, but it ended of course with him dead by police shootout. I mean, they ruined his life and he was innocent but LOL he tried to get revenge on the protagonist cops.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

If it’s the episode I’m thinking of it also takes place in Britain so Columbo’s not even supposed to be helping! Also that episodes bad in general

Yeah, that was the one. He's not supposed to be helping, another innocent person dies because of it, he's thwarted at the end, and so frustrated about it he cheats because he knows and we know he's right, and the guilty party had been so gloriously scenery-chewing awful I was really looking forward to their meltdown.

Columbo sometimes doesn't play fair, and usually the bad guy's so terrible that it's not that objectionable, but he doesn't usually resort to something that could throw the entire resulting trial out.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Did anyone else watch the final season of Showtime’s Shameless? There used to be threads for it in TVIV, but there hasn’t been for at least two seasons, so I suspect not :v:

The final season of Shameless tried to be topical. It involved COVID and referenced the 2020 elections in the past tense. One big issue was the ongoing plot of Carl, who’s always been enamored with violence in a way that was usually played for laughs, becoming a cop. So we have to find a way to make a character who got into this job partially because it was a socially acceptable way to bust skulls sympathetic. We got something that I think is pretty toothless, even if it wasn’t a show that puts on airs of being super edgy.

Shameless has always been weird about deciding when the bad stuff is serious and when it’s farcical, and the cop stuff is mostly lighter. The one moment played joke-free was when his partner forces a woman who had been selling loose cigarettes on a street corner to strip after she’d mouthed off too much. The cop using a machete to threaten a kid who held up a store was 50/50 hijinks/serious escalation, and her later tripping an falling on the machete while chasing a the same kid was mostly hijinks. He sees other people from the South Side get screwed over various ways by cops, gets busted down to meter maid duty after going through a few partners and ticketing and arresting a rich jerk who was getting someone evicted. The season ends with him resolving to just ticket rich people’s cars. Also he considers buying a bar that had been a fixture of the show with one partner who was just really lazy and making it a cop bar.

Chicago PD’s unique excesses are never mentioned, nor was there any mention of their spending the entire last year meting out sadistic violence against protestors. Systemic racism gets brought up, but not the protests. Like I said, it referenced 2020 in the past tense with an annoying bit character talking about the election being stolen from Trump, so all this happened.

Dr Christmas has a new favorite as of 03:26 on Jan 25, 2022

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Cowslips Warren posted:

Ugh how I hate the coplove shows. My mom was on a huge Blue Bloods kick for a while, and if I ever hear that Walhberg rear end in a top hat whine about how people don't respect cops (in between shots of him beating suspects) I will suspect I am in hell.

Same with SVU. I vaguely remember an episode where a convicted chomo attacked and held hostage one of the detectives. I think it was Olivia? Either way the dude wasn't a child molester; the squad had hosed up and convicted him, and he had never done anything with kids at all. She kept trying to insist they followed the evidence, apologizing once in a while, but it ended of course with him dead by police shootout. I mean, they ruined his life and he was innocent but LOL he tried to get revenge on the protagonist cops.

God my dad and Blue Bloods. Put it back on Fox News, who cares.

But yeah cop fuckery is way worse than chomos. You could molest all the kids and not be in as much trouble as the family getting raided when the police dog goes down to friendly fire.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

somepartsareme posted:

I forget if I've posted about it in this thread before but the copaganda can be annoying in Psych, especially the character of Lassiter who they try to make sympathetic and somewhat 'noble' despite being a trigger happy conservative climate denying cop. Probably a character who would be a lot different if the show started in the last few years.

How? Like 99% of his characterization is being a jealous angry glory hound who's constantly screwing up because of his own ego.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
To take a bried swerve from cop shows for a moment - Osmosis Jones was a movie and series I saw a lot because I had relatives at just the right age to be both obsessed with learning things and thinking gross body humour was the funniest poo poo ever.

So, how I missed the lyrics to the Kid Rock cameo, singing Cool, Daddy Cool I will never know.

quote:

Young ladies, young ladies
I like 'em underage see
Some say that's statutory
(Joe C.) But I say it's MANDATORY!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVlvoa_keGk&t=139s

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

People love pop psychology and police procedurals, so I'm surprised copaganda shows haven't leaned harder into appropriating police reform ideas and language. Cops with counselling training and psych degrees who can talk down the ledgejumper AND shoot the terrorist! Public meetings where concerned citizens beg for more police patrols! They actually let the suspect talk to his lawyer (the jury finds this suspicious and convict him later)!

Wasn't that Flashpoint?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Megillah Gorilla posted:

To take a bried swerve from cop shows for a moment - Osmosis Jones was a movie and series I saw a lot because I had relatives at just the right age to be both obsessed with learning things and thinking gross body humour was the funniest poo poo ever.

So, how I missed the lyrics to the Kid Rock cameo, singing Cool, Daddy Cool I will never know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVlvoa_keGk&t=139s

:stare:

I loved that movie when I was younger but I never paid attention to those lyrics. What the gently caress?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣

bunnyofdoom posted:

Wasn't that Flashpoint?

Reminding someone of 14 year old Canadian media is such an advanced form of mental assault