Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Cojawfee posted:

Yeah those guys were much more serious than a small town wrestling promotion. I doubt Junior would go from cartoonish wrestler who doesn't seem to want to break kay-fabe and then straight to assassin squad. Something is going on in the background that we don't know about. Makes me wonder if that driver even worked for the Gemstones, and what the deal was with that. Seems too coincidental that the bus ends up at that gas station and the guy goes inside right as the motorcycle dudes show up.

In any case, that was an amazing episode. I don't know how they keep this up.

The whole thing was absolutely a setup intended for Eli.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Blue Raider posted:

Calling an ambulance for Kelvin and putting him on a gurney for broken thumbs is a pretty funny character beat

I genuinely thought that part was going to be wound back and just be Eli's vision of what would happen if he did break Kelvin's thumbs. I'm so glad it was reality.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

What an amazing episode. Edi Patterson is incredible.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Cojawfee posted:

Yeah those guys were much more serious than a small town wrestling promotion. I doubt Junior would go from cartoonish wrestler who doesn't seem to want to break kay-fabe and then straight to assassin squad. Something is going on in the background that we don't know about. Makes me wonder if that driver even worked for the Gemstones, and what the deal was with that. Seems too coincidental that the bus ends up at that gas station and the guy goes inside right as the motorcycle dudes show up.

If the driver was part of the hit, why would he just randomly take someone other than the target? I could see a Gemstone driver acquiescing to Jesse because he knows Jesse is important and can get him in trouble, but if the driver is a plant then Jesse has no power over him (if Jesse makes a scene it would jeopardize the job, but not as much as deliberately picking up the wrong person altogether.)

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
It was clearly an intimidation job because they made no effort to enter the vehicle and finish it.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Golden Bee posted:

It was clearly an intimidation job because they made no effort to enter the vehicle and finish it.

The episode ended before we saw any evidence of this, didn't it?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

The episode ended before we saw any evidence of this, didn't it?

And you know there will be guns in the bus, and amber can take care of herself

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah at some point Amber’s gotta go full John Wick on some mfs

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

MizuZero posted:

I love how this show and Succession are two sides of the same coin. Both regularly portray absolute opulence, but where the Roys have a modicum of taste the Gemstones are absolutely trashy with their wealth, with the decor at BJ’s adult baptism being a great example

That's because the Roys are wealthy and these hicks are just rich. The entire family's net worth is $600 million and each of the Roy kids are worth over a billion.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Paper Lion posted:

sad about harmon :(

Yeah it took me a minute realize that wasn’t something they had just done for the show. Poor kid.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Butterflies

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah it took me a minute realize that wasn’t something they had just done for the show. Poor kid.

what do you mean "just for the show"? if you're talking about his disability i don't think the actor has it himself.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

The bathrooms scene with Judy was incredible. From her trying to be intimidating swagger, the incest thoughts admission, how she almost kisses KJ (I really thought she was going to). and finishing it off with the backwards walk into a stall. I was really hoping they had a scene where KJ lingers in the bathroom just to see how long Judy lingers in the stall waiting for her to leave.

I had to pause it when I saw BJ's outfit I was laughing so hard.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
The Harmon actor has brittle bone disease or something and I guess the shoulder thing is just some current problem he got between now and 2019

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

bj's sister was a very funny foil to everything, hoping his family pops up once more eventually

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

“This is a very nice hotel.” *Wide shot of the most average hotel possible*

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

moist turtleneck posted:

The Harmon actor has brittle bone disease or something and I guess the shoulder thing is just some current problem he got between now and 2019

oh gently caress, that's awful. the whole time I kept staring at it wondering how i never noticed his shoulder when he showed up last season

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Golden Bee posted:

I was laughing because I’ve stayed at that hotel multiple times for work.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

As a fellow southerner, I appreciate how Walton Goggins’ accent in this is embellished but quite real. Contrasted to the multiple instances of “deddy,” which while funny, aren’t the same.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

I used to watch a lot of BBQ television and Myron Mixon's son calls him "deddy" but they're from Georgia.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Now that I think of it, the fake accents sound more Texan than anything. But who cares, I just wanted to point out how loving awesome Walton Goggins is.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I feel like the writers looked at Judy's stalking speech and asked themselves "how can we get Edi Patterson to say even more monstrous funny things?" and she has just been HORRIFYING this season! Which is hilarious, and I'm glad I don't really think this is the kind of show where she will go on to murder BJ. But she might.

MizuZero posted:

I love how this show and Succession are two sides of the same coin. Both regularly portray absolute opulence, but where the Roys have a modicum of taste the Gemstones are absolutely trashy with their wealth, with the decor at BJ’s adult baptism being a great example

I feel like BJ could give the Wambsgan “Sad I’m with you” speech verbatim and have it be entirely in character, though Judy would absolutely tear Shiv open if even slightly provoked

God I wanted the cake scene to be BJ's Tom-eats-the-chicken moment, poor guy :(

Cojawfee posted:

Oh yeah for sure. I think the bus hit is connected to the real circumstances behind Thaniel's murder, and all that being directly linked to Junior's anger at Eli (and the hilarious amateur heel thug he sends) is a red herring.

Mameluke fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jan 25, 2022

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
I'm of the opinion the whole bus setup was meant for Eli, but my partner disagrees. "Whoever set it up knew drat well that Jesse would push his way onto "his daddy's" bus, why the hell would Eli rent a party bus for himself? That's not his style." I need longer episodes each week, this show is so good. :allears:

WrightOfWay posted:

What an amazing episode. Edi Patterson is incredible.

Blue Raider posted:

But who cares, I just wanted to point out how loving awesome Walton Goggins is.

:yeah: To both of these.

Kelvin's and Lyle's accents are True Blood-levels of bad (but hilarious!), meanwhile Goggins and McBride have great Southern accents since they're actually from the South.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Blue Raider posted:

Calling an ambulance for Kelvin and putting him on a gurney for broken thumbs is a pretty funny character beat

the god squad was really into the whole "physically fight your dad" thing so i wonder if the last straw was kelvin losing the fight or kelvin writhing around in the lobby weeping about his thumbs

Read After Burning posted:

I'm of the opinion the whole bus setup was meant for Eli, but my partner disagrees. "Whoever set it up knew drat well that Jesse would push his way onto "his daddy's" bus, why the hell would Eli rent a party bus for himself? That's not his style." I need longer episodes each week, this show is so good. :allears:

judy arranged the party bus, the chauffeur said as much. "the host only made arrangements for Doctor Gemstone" as he's holding a little Dr. Eli Gemstone placard

whether or not the chauffeur was in on it is a question. i guess if you have a dirtbike hit squad you can just go anywhere the vehicle breaks down at after it is sabotaged

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jan 25, 2022

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I love the episode titles being Bible quotes. The last one is about the Pharisees scheming on how to defeat their holier foe, which happens in the baptism pool.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Golden Bee posted:

I love the episode titles being Bible quotes. The last one is about the Pharisees scheming on how to defeat their holier foe, which happens in the baptism pool.

Episode 1.6 is entitled “Now the sons of Eli Were Worthless Men” and it’s loving amazing.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

It’s ballsy to name your finale “better is the end of things than its beginning”.

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?
The "You're always gonna remember this Christmas" line to Harmon was great. But I think "You gonna buy Harmon a cat today. Trust me, he's gonna need it" is just as dark and hilarious.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Nice to take a beat from the big stories and have an episode dedicated to Judy’s thinking and event planning. Absolutely monstrously tacky

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

cheese eats mouse posted:

Nice to take a beat from the big stories and have an episode dedicated to Judy’s thinking and event planning. Absolutely monstrously tacky

I think it was an interesting episode in that way. It was a break from stuff to focus a lot on Judy but at the same time the stuff from this episode is going to have some serious blowback and ramifications. Jesse admitting to the Lisson's that he doesn't have the money, the God Squad breaking up and Kelvin just being totally humiliated by his dad. Baby Billy ditching his wife and kids. And there's no way Eli can just brush off breaking his son's thumbs in front of a crowd of people. Eli also appears to be just totally broken at this point. He doesn't give a gently caress about his kids at all. Baby Billy was right. He's on his way down. We'll have to see how it all plays out, but this episode sort of felt like the culmination of everything that's been brewing since S1E1.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
It was for Eli. Either to scare him into stepping down or to kill him. It’s gonna be tied to whatever scheme the Texas preachers are heading/caught up in.

The bikes being gaudy makes me think they’re behind it, but who knows. They could just be caught up in the scheme and need to bring more people in or something. How it’s all gonna tie in with Amy Leigh, I have no idea but I’m sure it will.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.

Golden Bee posted:

Yeah that was a great touch

Wish I coulda ignored the weird anachronistic poo poo in the opening flashback or whatever but whatever.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Terra-da-loo! posted:

Wish I coulda ignored the weird anachronistic poo poo in the opening flashback or whatever but whatever.

Why would you want to ignore it?

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Jose Oquendo posted:

Jesse admitting to the Lisson's that he doesn't have the money, the God Squad breaking up and Kelvin just being totally humiliated by his dad. Baby Billy ditching his wife and kids. And there's no way Eli can just brush off breaking his son's thumbs in front of a crowd of people.
Given McBrides quote about wanting this show to last forever, I'm seeing the above as a shocking first time event but is later revealed, ala the boys deaths in Venture Bros., a regular occurence. Maybe its the first time it's happening without Aimee-Leigh around.

Then we'll get another season set 10 years ago of similar backstabbing and soul destroying to reveal Aimee-Leigh's influence was...exactly nothing.

What else can possibly explain how lovely the Gemstones are?

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
went back to listen to judy's insane song about butterflies and its great how none of the adult gemstone kids can do anything for themselves, they're only comfortable taking from others and building half-families out of sycophants

Cheesus posted:

What else can possibly explain how lovely the Gemstones are?

eli is not a great dad, but he tries. the problem is that wealth corrupts, there are a lot of families out there just as weirdly dysfunctional as the gemstones, they're just not wealthy so not interesting and the fights are lower stakes

i think the problem was that aimee-leigh served the typical role of the nurturer in a cis-het family, and with her gone nobody else in the family has someone who can absorb their emotional imbalances and so the family just falls to pieces. eli tries the stern yet fatherly lay down the law thing that worked when his children were children, but this isn't going to work at all on middle aged adults jocking with their own ambitions - this episode showed each of the gemstone kids trying to force eli's hand in endorsing them as independent adults, and eli turning them down for entirely valid reasons (all three are idiots) because they SHOULD be making something of themselves by now but they're trapped by the wealth which defines them. gideon is the only one who recognizes this and tried to flee but even then he got pulled back in by the gravity of all that money

last time judy's abuse of masochistic BJ got to be too much, he got his ear pierced. what will he do next time he needs to escape? i'm thinking small ankle tattoo

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jan 25, 2022

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
BJ is gonna accidentally gently caress his sister because of Judy somehow lol

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Blue Raider posted:

As a fellow southerner, I appreciate how Walton Goggins’ accent in this is embellished but quite real. Contrasted to the multiple instances of “deddy,” which while funny, aren’t the same.

I grew up in southernmost Alabama, and if Baby Billy spoke a little slower, his accent would fit in perfectly along the Gulf Coast between roughly Biloxi and Perdido. But the refrain "go on now" punctuating his lines is a level of Southern authenticity that doesn't get enough credit.

That said, Judy is the most threatening and manic character on TV. I absolutely adore her on this show, but I can honestly say I've met lunatics like her, and they somehow always have a "BJ" tagging along putting them on a pedestal.

I actually think this is my favorite show, ever, because it's so godamn relatable, but from an embellished lens. I could easily envision the last scene in the series finale one day panning out to reveal it's been a story told by Baby Billy to one (or more) of his kids, or a new wife.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I was legit shocked that BJ's sister wasn't named HJ.

Doronin posted:

That said, Judy is the most threatening and manic character on TV. I absolutely adore her on this show, but I can honestly say I've met lunatics like her, and they somehow always have a "BJ" tagging along putting them on a pedestal.
If you haven't seen Vice Principals yet, she's even crazier in that! I think it's fair to say it was her breakout role.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jan 25, 2022

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah she's great in Vice Principals, just an extremely Real type of person turned up to 11

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
This weird poo poo reminds me of this show so much.
https://twitter.com/chadopitz/status/1485414918371221504

Doronin posted:

I grew up in southernmost Alabama, and if Baby Billy spoke a little slower, his accent would fit in perfectly along the Gulf Coast between roughly Biloxi and Perdido. But the refrain "go on now" punctuating his lines is a level of Southern authenticity that doesn't get enough credit.

:yeah: Northern Alabama here, but that constant "now" is on point.

Mordja posted:

If you haven't seen Vice Principals yet, she's even crazier in that! I think it's fair to say it was her breakout role.

Absolutely. Love that show, and her character is great.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4RsQiZo-Mk

As is Goggins's character.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLRhfzw6OW4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEVMREcc07E

Read After Burning fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jan 25, 2022