Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

lol apparently Behaviour removed the Twitch streamer cosmetics from Dowsey's account for mysterious reasons after he criticized Patrick's answers and dumb poo poo on the latest community stream. This after a senior BHVR rep posted a "FYI guys if you're doing posting Patrick's quotes out of context, please consider your actions" message on the Discord, referring to Dowsey's tweet.

Loool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Sometimes I'm confused by how quickly streamers like Otz and Tofu go into THE DEVS DID NOTHING WRONG mode, then they'll do something like that to make me go "Oh right"

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Varinn posted:

good excuse to play a bunch of hag and get ruin

Yeah, sadly you're likely gonna want to play a few killers to get some extra perks into pools. Of the free killers, Hillbilly has Tinkerer which is arguably the best killer info perk after Lethal Persuer, and Trapper has Brutal Strength and Agitation to at least help speed up common actions for most killers (tho less so for Pyramid Head, you're still breaking some pallets and carrying to some hooks.). Depending on what other killers you have, you can get multiple useful perks out of Leatherface, Hag, Nemesis, Plague, Trickster, and Artist.

E: and Clown, but playing Clown sucks so I forgot about Clown.

Mr. Locke fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jan 24, 2022

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
So I am thinking nurse heal and hex ruin makes the most sense to work towards for pyramid head. Luckily you don't have to play the killer you are trying to get traits for to actually level them up since you can spend bloodpoints however you want.

If anyone else has any awesome suggestions for perks for pyramid head let me know. Hag is at least decently fun to play (unlike trapper)

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Tactics talk with Otzdarva.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

I'm All Ears off Ghostface is probably Pyramid Head's best perk. "Oh you vaulted and went behind a wall, just lining up and hitting your aura now through that wall"

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

DeathChicken posted:

I'm All Ears off Ghostface is probably Pyramid Head's best perk. "Oh you vaulted and went behind a wall, just lining up and hitting your aura now through that wall"

Ah that makes sense. Problem is I really really suck with the whole "when you are in aim mode/leaving your trail your aim becomes all fucky". I get some hits but man it fucks my muscle memory.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?

Mr. Locke posted:

E: and Clown, but playing Clown sucks so I forgot about Clown.

I disagree

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

lol apparently Behaviour removed the Twitch streamer cosmetics from Dowsey's account for mysterious reasons after he criticized Patrick's answers and dumb poo poo on the latest community stream. This after a senior BHVR rep posted a "FYI guys if you're doing posting Patrick's quotes out of context, please consider your actions" message on the Discord, referring to Dowsey's tweet.
I don't know he expects. He trashes DBD, the devs, and promotes VHS. I used to be a fan but he streams 6 hours a week and its mostly negative. I think supporters/subs like myself feel cheated because he's barely on and flipped between different platforms. So glad I didn't sub to his youtube. He hosed around.

temple fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jan 24, 2022

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

DeathChicken posted:

I love Tinkerer, Discordance and Nurse's with Pyramid Head, though Nurse's is increasingly less useful. It's nice when I get a Discordance notification and then Tinkerer on the same gen, I'm often able to get both of them with a blast through a wall if I'm sneaky enough.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

temple posted:

I don't know he expects. He trashes DBD, the devs, and promotes VHS. I used to be a fan but he streams 6 hours a week and its mostly negative. I think supporters/subs like myself feel cheated because he's barely on and flipped between different platforms. So glad I didn't sub to his youtube. He hosed around.

God you suck.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Yardbomb posted:

God you suck.

-1 tee shirt

Orv
May 4, 2011

temple posted:

Being a sponsored or privileged streamer for a game/company basically means you’re not allowed to criticize that company openly if you want to maintain that relationship but that’s definitely not how it should work. I think personally that I can’t stand Dowsey and he clearly chose the wrong job for his personality but this is only capitalist bullshit petty revenge and he didn’t do poo poo to ‘earn it.’

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Patrick you loving idiot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pw-7AiHhgkk

This is one of the dumbest things I've heard.

The lead game designer is right that MMR shouldn't take anything except winning and losing into account, which in DBD's case is decided by how many survivors died in the match. Other game devs have tried using other metrics, like damage dealt in Dota 2, and that always leads to people abusing the system in some way. In Dota 2's case, Russian account sellers would blaze through placements as Zeus and place way higher in MMR because the hero just inherently deals a fuckton of damage (at the cost of being poo poo otherwise)

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Equally baffling, from BHVR's point of view eight hooks and zero kills is equal to getting a 0 hook 5 gen stomp. A Bubba tunneling and basement camping one person out of the game (and then losing 5 gens and the game) is a better performance and more of a win.

I mean, in chess, MMR is decided by whether you take out the enemy king or not. Doesn't matter if you do it in 3 moves or 50. And if you kill all the pieces EXCEPT the king even though you knew the goal was to take out the king, then you played the game wrong.

A lot of the MMR discussion gets muddled up because the game itself is so wonky. The fact that you can consistently get a better performance by camping one person to death than playing the game "legit" is not the MMR system's fault, it's the developers'.

Edit: I guess you could argue that the goal of the game is to get 4 iri medals and a lot of BP. though I always assumed the point of the game was for survivors to stay alive and killers to make survivors dead (by daylight)

Minorkos fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jan 25, 2022

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

i didn't know that dota or chess were asymmetrical games, but I guess I'm not up to speed on how they've developed

Orv
May 4, 2011

Minorkos posted:

The lead game designer is right that MMR shouldn't take anything except winning and losing into account, which in DBD's case is decided by how many survivors died in the match. Other game devs have tried using other metrics, like damage dealt in Dota 2, and that always leads to people abusing the system in some way. In Dota 2's case, Russian account sellers would blaze through placements as Zeus and place way higher in MMR because the hero just inherently deals a fuckton of damage (at the cost of being poo poo otherwise)

I mean, in chess, MMR is decided by whether you take out the enemy king or not. Doesn't matter if you do it in 3 moves or 50. And if you kill all the pieces EXCEPT the king even though you knew the goal was to take out the king, then you played the game wrong.

A lot of the MMR discussion gets muddled up because the game itself is so wonky. The fact that you can consistently get a better performance by camping one person to death than playing the game "legit" is not the MMR system's fault, it's the developers'.

This is ignoring that their MMR system has a far too small range (1100-1900, while most modern MMR systems organically top out around 2300 for the absolute best players) while also having also having hard bounds at the ends of the range which is specifically not how these systems are supposed to work. Yes win/loss is basically the only way to track video game mechanics without getting into hilariously complex math that no studio is going to do but their implementation is absolutely the problem, even before you get into balancing the values of their system which is what they would need to do to fix the current problem of hard swings.

Orv fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jan 25, 2022

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Yes, the problem is that as survivor whether you live or die is incredibly dependent on how dumb your teammates are. Or to a lesser degree whether the killer just decides he wants you dead at the expense of throwing the game

DeathChicken fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jan 25, 2022

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

UnderFreddy posted:

i didn't know that dota or chess were asymmetrical games, but I guess I'm not up to speed on how they've developed

Yeah and since the game is asymmetrical, it should makes sense to base the MMR system on something that can be evaluated symmetrically. Such as, how many people escape in a match, because for every 3 escapes there's going to be a 1 kill, and for every 3 kills there's going to be 1 escape

Orv posted:

This is ignoring that their MMR system has a far too small range (1600-1900, while most modern MMR systems organically top out around 2300 for the absolute best players) while also having also having hard bounds at the ends of the range which is specifically not how these systems are supposed to work. Yes win/loss is basically the only way to track video game mechanics without getting into hilariously complex math that no studio is going to do but their implementation is absolutely the problem, even before you get into balancing the values of their system which is what they would need to do to fix the current problem of hard swings.

The MMR range being poo poo and the hilariously skewed matches caused by their matchmaking going out of its way to IGNORE its own matchmaking ratings are their own issues and not really relevant to how MMR is derived. To clarify, I think the MMR formula is also flawed, but not in the way that people seem to think it is. As far as I know, the way BHVR implemented it is so hosed that bad killers will get pushed to top MMR because they're gaining MMR even for 1-2 kill matches and stuff. But using kills/escapes is fine (in theory)

DeathChicken posted:

Yes, the problem is that as survivor whether you live or die is incredibly dependent on how dumb your teammates are

I did say (though not very clearly) that I think your MMR gain/loss as a survivor should be the amount of escapes on your team total. So if you escape alone, you would actually lose MMR (because you were bad and couldn't save your friends)

Minorkos fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jan 25, 2022

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Minorkos posted:

The lead game designer is right that MMR shouldn't take anything except winning and losing into account, which in DBD's case is decided by how many survivors died in the match.

Except a survivor's MMR isn't effected by how many survivors died, it's effected by whether they personally died.

If I run the killer for five loving gens, then finally get hit once the doors are open and the entire team abandons me on first hook, it's horse poo poo that their MMR goes up and mine goes down. They aren't more skilled than me because they held M1 for five minutes.

Edit: shouldn't have paused to eat a taco before hitting post.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
I agree its very cool that they have developed an MMR system that rewards tunnelling one survivor as opposed to hooking 4 others 2 times each. A clearly superior way to enjoy video game Dead by Daylight

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

rydiafan posted:

Except a survivor's MMR isn't effected by how many survivors died, it's effected by whether they personally died.

If I run the killer for five loving gens, then finally get hit once the doors are open and the entire team abandons me on first hook, it's horse poo poo that their MMR goes up and mine goes down. They aren't more skilled than me because they held M1 for five minutes.

Edit: shouldn't have paused to eat a taco before hitting post.

important question for this debate: was it a good taco, op?

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Also very cool that I can be a hidey scared selfish teammate and escape with 5k points and be equally as skilled as everyone else who made it out and even did better than the guy who risked it all for his team but died.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Kwolok posted:

I agree its very cool that they have developed an MMR system that rewards tunnelling one survivor as opposed to hooking 4 others 2 times each. A clearly superior way to enjoy video game Dead by Daylight

I think it's their game designers that made tunneling too rewarding, not the MMR system. To go back to my elegant chess analogy, if you were legally allowed to win a match by flipping the table and landing at least 3 pieces on your opponent's face, and people were doing that to gain MMR, then would you really blame the MMR system there

Orv
May 4, 2011

Minorkos posted:

The MMR range being poo poo and the hilariously skewed matches caused by their matchmaking going out of its way to IGNORE its own matchmaking ratings are their own issues and not really relevant to how MMR is derived. To clarify, I think the MMR formula is also flawed, but not in the way that people seem to think it is. As far as I know, the way BHVR implemented it is so hosed that bad killers will get pushed to top MMR because they're gaining MMR even for 1-2 kill matches and stuff. But using kills/escapes is fine (in theory)

I mean, part of why their implementation of the range is bad is because a killer can go from the bottom of the range to the top in a literal handful of games, so basically every number invoked in the system is whack. It kind of doesn’t matter where the fault lies if every single part is infeasible.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

The problem is that camping is too effective. BHVR ignored it, denied it, but now their own system proves it.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
DbD by design and theme encourages survivors to act altruistically and I defy you to conclude, whether in a purely logical sense or a horror movie sense, that there isn't an element of satisfaction and good play to one survivor making a sacrifice that gets 1 or more survivors out that gate. We can agree that 3 escapes is better than 2 escapes, surely.

Of course to design for that or to have it be entirely emergent and not get the message as the actual developers of the game years later is another story. To implement a system that seems to ignore that is baffling. To do all that while altruism is accounted for quite neatly in the medals system that already existed is insanity. :v:

Also to butcher your chess analogy, imagine that you always perform the perfect, most precise moves to engage and check and try to mate the enemy King. That's all that matters, right, but you can do things that make your victory more likely such as claiming more enemy pieces than he claims of yours, giving you better options turn to turn. All that matters is if the King dies, right, but that's really hard to do to the other guy with 3 pawns and a King vs his full board.

So you're Peter Perfect the win/lose survivor and you loop the dude until he's dizzy, unhook your teammates, heal the gently caress out of them and coordinate split gen pushes and pick the middle gen to prevent the 3 gen yourself. Then you get bonked with NOED and your MMR goes down because only the escape mattered. Only the King mattered. Maybe DbD isn't chess and maybe SBMM isn't doing well.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Orv posted:

I mean, part of why their implementation of the range is bad is because a killer can go from the bottom of the range to the top in a literal handful of games, so basically every number invoked in the system is whack. It kind of doesn’t matter where the fault lies if every single part is infeasible.

Yeah I realize this is kind of a dumb hill to die on on my part since the whole system is hosed in so many ways, I just feel like I had to point out the formula wasn't inherently a bad call (aside from the survivor MMR gains being individual instead of shared)

temple posted:

The problem is that camping is too effective. BHVR ignored it, denied it, but now their own system proves it.

Exactly this, and on a similar note, I feel like the players are hoping the MMR system can "fix" it, when it's really BHVR's job to do that.

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

Doomykins posted:

So you're Peter Perfect the win/lose survivor and you loop the dude until he's dizzy, unhook your teammates, heal the gently caress out of them and coordinate split gen pushes and pick the middle gen to prevent the 3 gen yourself. Then you get bonked with NOED and your MMR goes down because only the escape mattered. Only the King mattered. Maybe DbD isn't chess and maybe SBMM isn't doing well.
While it of course isn't cool that your MMR can go down despite you doing so well, I think you can argue that if you were such a good survivor/better than your teammates, you would naturally rise in MMR as you play more games. As MMR isn't just based on a single game. I don't think the MMR system needs to somehow calculate looping ability or tactical gen-picking or something to find your level. If you're a good enough to always consider these things, you will rise.

I think it's more difficult with killers, since I'm not sure amount of kills correspond to level of play as naturally over time. Especially with how different the killers are

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Speaking of, had a game as Billy where they switched to three flashlights in the lobby. I put on Lightborn, which eventually led to all four of them DCing (the last one when I caught her at the gates). I legit wonder what that sort of nonsense does to MMR

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Doomykins posted:

Also to butcher your chess analogy, imagine that you always perform the perfect, most precise moves to engage and check and try to mate the enemy King. That's all that matters, right, but you can do things that make your victory more likely such as claiming more enemy pieces than he claims of yours, giving you better options turn to turn. All that matters is if the King dies, right, but that's really hard to do to the other guy with 3 pawns and a King vs his full board.

This is possibly the worst chess analogy I may have ever seen. The most perfect, most precise moves to engage and check and try to mate the enemy king are to remove his supporting pieces until you can do so. Claiming his pieces isn't an incidental thing done on the way to a checkmate, it's literally the entire game. They aren't separate things. I don't think I can properly articulate how bad this is as an analogy. I'm impressed!

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Orv posted:

Being a sponsored or privileged streamer for a game/company basically means you’re not allowed to criticize that company openly if you want to maintain that relationship but that’s definitely not how it should work. I think personally that I can’t stand Dowsey and he clearly chose the wrong job for his personality but this is only capitalist bullshit petty revenge and he didn’t do poo poo to ‘earn it.’

Yeah exactly this, I've rarely ever watched him, but even for constant criticism it feels like such pissy baby activity on BHVR's part.

Being a 'face' of a game should never ever mean you have to just gobble up the company line or else they're gonna start needling you.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

:aloom:

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Maybe comparing chess to something like dead by daylight is inherently a really incredibly stupid thing to do in the first place.

It's also insane to say "well it's hard to measure other metrics in this game other than wins" while the game currently has those metrics as a core part of the game.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

There's a lot of miserable poo poo. Flashlight addons are bs. I dodged the initial flashlight beam but the addon was so strong they stunned me on the second blind. Why? Those petrified oak offerings that spread hooks across the map are horrendous. I tried it once but now I camp. I guess I'm a high MMR killer.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

temple posted:

Flashlight addons are bs. I dodged the initial flashlight beam but the addon was so strong they stunned me on the second blind. Why?

I really don't know how they fix flashlights without hammering them, they used to be even more insane (The old 'instablinds' of course) and it's taken a bunch of spread out tweaks to get them where they are now, where they're still ridiculously easy to abuse.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
We talk a lot about killer builds but what are some fun but not sweaty survivor builds. Not interested in BT/DS/DH/CoH

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Kwolok posted:

We talk a lot about killer builds but what are some fun but not sweaty survivor builds. Not interested in BT/DS/DH/CoH

You could stack healing speed perks and become unkillable in the circle of healing

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Minorkos posted:

You could stack healing speed perks and become unkillable in the circle of healing

I have self respect

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

I like running Red Herring/Repressed Alliance/Spine Chill. Spine Chill goes off, you set off Repressed, go away to a locker and set off Red Herring. Killer walks up to a blocked gen he can't kick

Or you could replace Repressed with Blast Mine if you wanted to be an rear end in a top hat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Kwolok posted:

I go for perk pairs and build from there. Cope has some interesting builds link

Head on/Quick and Quiet
Lithe/Dance with Me or Quick and Quiet
Sprint Burst/Self-Aware
Spine Chill/Resilience aka the vault build
Lucky Break/Iron Will
Kindred/BT. Iron Will and maybe We're Going to Live Forever
Autodidact /Empathy
Any item + Built to Last
Diversion/Stake-out. Or Urban Evasion
Hope/Adrenaline
Open Handed/Aura perks (like Windows of Opportunity)
Alert/Dark Sense
Plunderer's Instinct or Up the Ante/Appraisal
We'll Make It/Renewal
Flip-Flop/Power Struggle

temple fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jan 25, 2022