Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
If I ever don't post for 24 hours consider my silence a coded message to mean I've been falsely arrested and to delete all evidence of me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Mebh posted:

Entirely. However it's always been about them getting the ultimate vox pop reaction. Even gammon mc gammerson the party clown says "ooh that's a bit much!" They have absolutely no idea how virality or mass appeal works and so they just repeat the same hits stretched out as long as possible because for every person sick to death there'll be 2 that want more.

The entire media is basically youtube reaction videos. "ooh but how did it feel to know that the man who blew your legs off got away with it?"

Its just so utterly banal, but it works.

It's that "london jam festival" sketch from the day today but now it's all of news, all the time

edit: clip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sb_-0qSCBR8

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

NotJustANumber99 posted:

If I ever don't post for 24 hours ... delete all evidence of me

Judging by your rapsheet you're well overdue for deletion.

:mods:

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
While it's annoying knowing the press have had all this party evidence for many months and didn't publish it (while roasting Corbyn alive for being at a dinner party with 6 people (allowed) that became 9 people (not allowed)), I think the drip drip drip is essential to keep it uppermost in peoples' minds.

Otherwise it would be a big bang then forgotten in 2 weeks. It's only "The Bins" TM, "The Poonds"TM and "There's no money left note"TM that are allowed to be regurgitated for decades after they happened.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Niric posted:

Judging by your rapsheet you're well overdue for deletion.

:mods:

why?

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

NotJustANumber99 posted:

If I ever don't post for 24 hours consider my silence a coded message to mean I've been falsely arrested and to delete all evidence of me

We all do, honey.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

I for one plan to :justpost:

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

https://twitter.com/parliawint/status/1485736605369384963

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

I had a delightful dinner with my oldest and best mate, and he told me a truly horrifying story about some guy he knows and Una Stubbs, Apparently, the chap in question wouldn't have had the mental dexterity to make it up. I will, however, urge caution, before disclosure. Naturally, any objections will be noted.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

While it's annoying knowing the press have had all this party evidence for many months and didn't publish it (while roasting Corbyn alive for being at a dinner party with 6 people (allowed) that became 9 people (not allowed)), I think the drip drip drip is essential to keep it uppermost in peoples' minds.
One of the recent trashfuture episodes was taking the piss out of how the parties seem to be the thing that's cutting through. But I think the thing they were underestimating is that there seem to be a lot of apocyphal stories about people not being allowed in the room to see dying relatives, or missing family birthdays, births, funerals etc and it's that which is being compared to Boris attending multiple parties.

Like they aren't wrong - one peculiarity of the British psyche is being enraged at anyone who has it better than you; and rather than wanting the same, wanting the other to be dragged back into the bucket with everyone else. But this feels like something else. This feels like it's motivated by a genuine distaste for hypocrisy.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Well yeah, most people mostly followed the Covid rules, 'cos it seemed like the right thing to do and harked back to that 'Blitz spirit' thing of everyone pulling together to defeat Germany Covid. Finding out that the people in charge were completely ignoring the rules and laughing at the rest of us for being naive enough to follow them felt like a genuine slap in the face to a lot of people who don't normally follow politics all that closely.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I don't quite mean that, although that's a component of it. I feel like people have missed out on christmas, on seeing new children, saying goodbye to elderly relatives. Stuff that profoundly matters to most people. I think that's what's different about this and that's why it seems to matter to people as opposed to anything else.

Regardless, this all means nothing unless Grey's inquiry finds a technicality or a law that Boris has beoken that means he has to be booted out. Otherwise he'll refuse to resign, weather the negative ratings and cries of have you no shame*, and in a few weeks we'll start to see the gentle trickle of 'ah well, nevertheless' from his columnist mates.

* He does not.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
As I got off the train yesterday on the way home, I felt the need to check with the driver that mask wearing is still supposed to be compulsory on trains.
It is.

Probably less than 50% of people were wearing one, though. Coverage on the Tube seems to be dropping pretty quickly, too.
It's a good job that covid is all over, otherwise there might be the chance of people getting sick if they're not wearing a mask in overcrowded conditions.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

ThomasPaine posted:

Christ, just imagine we had Corbyn running things new. Man, if only his and Keith's tenures were reversed :(

If Corbyn was still in charge this party poo poo would have been swept under the rug sharply.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Pistol_Pete posted:

Well yeah, most people mostly followed the Covid rules, 'cos it seemed like the right thing to do and harked back to that 'Blitz spirit' thing of everyone pulling together to defeat Germany Covid. Finding out that the people in charge were completely ignoring the rules and laughing at the rest of us for being naive enough to follow them felt like a genuine slap in the face to a lot of people who don't normally follow politics all that closely.

Like in the before times, you would have had scandals like this. Say a politician getting some money that is being drip fed out by the media to maximise the news and slowly uncover more and more examples of the corruption in question.

And when that was happening eventually the Public got tired of it because it reached a point of "yes this happened and was bad and it sort of effects me, but I'm bored now. Move on. "

The Party stuff is hitting harder, as people have pointed out because they have more of a connection with "I had to stay inside for my birthdays, while that clown got a cake!"

Particularly with stuff like this.

https://twitter.com/PickardJE/status/1485703538575609862?t=2q3wT8GYmZRCpECuZ--qlw&s=19

I think examples of public mismanagement stories would make people a lot madder, if money got taken off people's pay slips just to show how government spending has to come somewhere.

Trickjaw posted:

I had a delightful dinner with my oldest and best mate, and he told me a truly horrifying story about some guy he knows and Una Stubbs, Apparently, the chap in question wouldn't have had the mental dexterity to make it up. I will, however, urge caution, before disclosure. Naturally, any objections will be noted.

I don't know who any of those people are so sure, let's hear it.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Pistol_Pete posted:

Churchill famously put on two stone during rationing and ignored all the other rules, and English people hated him more for that than sending tanks to Glasgow or gassing Indians, so I guess it follows.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Trickjaw posted:

Hot breakfast, drummer out of Dodgy? It was certainly good enough for him.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Sanford posted:

Hot breakfast, drummer out of Dodgy? It was certainly good enough for him.

That's really weird, the drummer out of Dodgy popped into my head randomly last night because of a Twitter thread about 90s magazines, and I was thinking how weird it was he had six months of being on like every show on telly then completely disappeared without trace.

e: And if whatever this story is, if it turns out to be him, it can't be any worse than this line from his obviously-self-written Wiki article:

quote:

In 2017, Mathew was part of the house band on Matt Forde's new political show, Unspun with Matt Forde.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Tesla

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Ah well nevertheless

https://twitter.com/colinrtalbot/status/1485920403855925253?t=8JNw0n0HglM8L3aaIvOKxw&s=19

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

The party thing is sticking around for longer than it seems like it should because we, the general public, are not really the primary audience any more. This is now the establishment media having a conversation with their friends in the Conservative party to let them know they've had enough as well now, this is the time for any more juicy gossip, for sticking knives in, and that in general The Narrative is no longer in support of Johnson and there's potential support for somebody new who can play their cards right.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

TACD posted:

The party thing is sticking around for longer than it seems like it should because we, the general public, are not really the primary audience any more. This is now the establishment media having a conversation with their friends in the Conservative party to let them know they've had enough as well now, this is the time for any more juicy gossip, for sticking knives in, and that in general The Narrative is no longer in support of Johnson and there's potential support for somebody new who can play their cards right.

looking forward to watching an increasingly haggard bojo gripping a podium so firmly his knuckles turn white as he semi-consciously repeats the official country motto, Keep Calm and Carry On, while the new national anthem plays to cheer on are brave boys keeping the immigrant hordes at bay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYdsNeRoShA

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Cressida is doing a lot to earn that spot in the Lords she's clearly going for

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

TACD posted:

This is it exactly

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Mentioned a bit ago about reading a book on the miners strike and just copy and pasting a couple of paragraphs as an example of how self-defeating Scargill was.

quote:

On the NUM side, the industrial correspondents were ‘demonized’ by Scargill, as the BBC’s Nicholas Jones puts it. Jones was following Scargill around and, despite Scargill’s view that the industrial correspondents were the enemy’s front-line troops, was continually getting calls from the miners’ leader at home, but the trouble was this: ‘He played up the intrigue, and he did get useful tipoffs from people, but he would tell me about a document and never show it to me. So it was always his version. I had no way of knowing whether it was genuine.’ That is why his tipoffs to Jones seldom resulted in useful coverage for the miners.

All the same, Jones was becoming increasingly unhappy about the way he felt he was being manipulated by the government and the NCB, used to exaggerate the drift back to work and hail every returning miner as a hero. The NCB, he knew, had been massaging the figures, so that fewer men appeared on the books, and the day on which it could claim that more than half of them had returned to work grew closer. He decided to blow the whistle, and the Today programme agreed to run his exposé. ‘A week later’, writes Jones, ‘I was told to report to the secretary of the BBC governors as there had been a number of letters criticizing my story; my revelations were not regarded as having been “helpful”.’

Jones was able to prove that, helpful or not, his story was true. But the only way he could get any more publicity for it would be if the NUM took up the story, and Scargill would not do that because it came from one of the hated industrial correspondents.

Also a fine example of the Beeb being garbo

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

ThomasPaine posted:

I'm glad you had a good experience, I guess, but I've read plenty of stories from people who've had the opposite and there's even footage from the states of cops withholding medication from people they've detained.

We are not the States, though, thank god. I mean they have black sites in e.g. Chicago where they literally kidnap and torture black people. Not to say our cops are, like, nice, but I would be wary of looking at the US and saying ours are exactly as bad.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Hmph. Boris said covid was over. But my colleague's teenage son's year group at school have all been sent home this afternoon until at least Monday. Bloody teachers, making it up just to spite Boris... (sarcasm).

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

feedmegin posted:

We are not the States, though, thank god. I mean they have black sites in e.g. Chicago where they literally kidnap and torture black people. Not to say our cops are, like, nice, but I would be wary of looking at the US and saying ours are exactly as bad.

I never said we were and my original point wasn't about any particular country. Nonetheless there are plenty of horror stories from here too. Here's an article from 2015 I found with a ten second Google search:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.scotsman.com/regions/diabetic-denied-medication-police-custody-1495286%3famp

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

The timing of this is just so shameless. Wait for the report! It's due this week? Wait for the police investigation!

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

God, just found myself agreeing with JHB.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

serious gaylord posted:

The timing of this is just so shameless. Wait for the report! It's due this week? Wait for the police investigation!

I bet it ends up being pushed out past the May local council elections.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Tsietisin posted:

I don't think you have a right to a telephone call. All you have the right is to have someone informed that you are there and the police will make the call. They don't want people sending a coded message to get rid of whatever evidence.

If you think that was the reason why they denied me the call, then you are totally wrong. They knew exactly what time my friend left for work, and they kept me waiting until after that time before I was allowed to call them. At no point did they offer to let them know on my behalf. I don't think you appreciate how spiteful police can be.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

serious gaylord posted:

https://twitter.com/KayBurley/status/1485945562168012801

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Downing Street spokesman has said that the parts that are not under investigation by the police can be released early, so we will absolutely have "PROBE CLEARS BORIS JOHNSON OF HAVING PARTIES" within a week or two, and then very quietly "Boris Johnson was wrong to hold parties" in a year after everyone has moved on.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
https://twitter.com/AdamBienkov/status/1485956847743946756

Well, credit where it's due, they've played an absolute blinder here.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

How many of the others who've been fined 3 to 4 figures by the filth got multiple month long investigations into their case?

I'm telling you, Dick is going into the Lords before the next election

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
https://twitter.com/SamCoatesSky/status/1485960953422299139

Hospital pass from the MET for being dragged into this.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Honestly have to say even following this thread I have completely lost track of all the investigations and reports going on around this. Which of course is, if not deliberately the point, at least a happy little accident for all involved.

If the investigation is going to take a year then it’ll be an amusing thing to come back to amidst the unknown horrors of 2023 when Boris will presumably be long gone. “Remember the hysteria in 2022 over the party they had in 2020? If only the insectoid slavers had shown up a bit earlier!”

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

TACD posted:

“Remember the hysteria in 2022 over the party they had in 2020? If only the insectoid slavers had shown up a bit earlier!”

Will these be different insectoid slavers from the ones in Buckingham Palace then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

um, those are reptilian slavers, how embarrassing for you