Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Dr. Thoss posted:

Hey, speaking of Steven Seagal and cop shows, remember that time he teamed up Joe Arpaio to make a reality show? He was deputized and they engaged in some blatant abuses of authority on camera, but never faced any legal consequences? That was kinda hosed up.

remember when they drove an apc through the side of a suspect's house and then executed a puppy and hundreds of chickens?

I wish this was hyperbole

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Thoss
Aug 22, 2011

i am a doctor. my name is thoss.

Gripweed posted:

He drove a tank over someone's dog

Also allegations of sex trafficking

Tip posted:

remember when they drove an apc through the side of a suspect's house and then executed a puppy and hundreds of chickens?

I wish this was hyperbole

I do!

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
The only funny cop is a dead cop.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Waltzing Along posted:

This is why Robocop is hilarious.

Dr. Thoss
Aug 22, 2011

i am a doctor. my name is thoss.

Waltzing Along posted:

What about one that is currently alive but mortally wounded in a cartoonishly absurd and entirely self-inflicted fashion?

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.

So, this a real movie apparently...

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Whats wrong with her FAAAAAACE

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Been watching the Star Wars 9 Digital Extras, which are available on Youtube for some reason

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0MRq_FYz2Q

When I was a child, there was a Behind The Scenes TV special for Return of the Jedi, and I was so excited to watch it, but I fell asleep and my mom didn't want to wake me. I was so sad I missed it. I think I even had the tape recorder ready to go. So this is nice, being able to watch this whenever.

Now, this Behind The Scenes has a clip of JJ saying "We knew it would be a challenge to finish the story of a 9 movie epic saga. We sat down and discussed if the Emperor should return to end the story, and after only 30 seconds we realized it was the right choice."

If only they'd discussed it for a bit longer :negative:

It's kind of sad to see every single person in the cast and crew giving it all (even the actual soldier army of Jordan helped out, because it's STAR WARS), wonderful fx and puppetry, and, well... I wish I could see the movie they're talking about! :v:

Still, very cool to watch how much work goes into this, just... Maybe next time put that same amount of work into the story :twisted:

I award this 5/5 Comfys, and a little Star Wars notebook where JJ can hopefully write down his ideas first, for next time

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

priznat posted:

Pairing Colossus with Deadpool was pretty inspired, was that in the comics originally? I never read any deadpool ones.

I always assumed it was because he was (1) a prominent X-Man who (2) wasn't very prominent in the other movies so didn't have any red tape around him appearing in an R-rated spinoff. The fact that they paired one of the most fundamentally decent X-Men characters with the most... well, R-rated... managed to be a happy accident and an easy recipe for comedy. I always associated Deadpool more with Wolverine and Cable, myself.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

JJ Abrams's entire career is built on assuming he won't have to direct the end of the story he started.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Castor Poe posted:

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
30 seconds of discussion is like easily 30 seconds more consideration than I would have guessed they had given it. Maybe even 31 seconds more consideration.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

wonderful fx and puppetry,
practical effects are so loving cool

I've never seen Zathura but a bts clip credited to Stan Winston came up on my timeline and I suddenly remembered everything I used to love about animatronics, puppetry, etc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIOnrpyAO8k

I wanted to do this kinda poo poo for a living when I was a kid

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
actually, practical effects are one of the reasons I'll never stop apologizing for the Saw franchise
they had a borderline insane dedication to using real sets and props as much as they could for some reason
probably because it was made by a bunch of gen x fangoria subscribers or some poo poo

e.g. this completely unhinged Home Improvement-rear end scene transition from Saw IV was done entirely in-camera:

there's a ton of featurettes on the dvds with names like "MAKING THE KNIFE CHAIR"
pwns

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
If anyone is interested in learning the real skills behind practical effects, either for fun or to add some skills to their existing set, the Stan Winston School offers an amazing bunch of classes online. You can get a 7-day free trial of their top tier plan, and gulp down as many vids as you can handle in that week. The paid options are pricey, but even going for a month or two after that will give you access to the best instruction possible in practical effects. I watched a bunch a while back on model painting and sculpting, creating artificial eye effects, and airbrushing techniques, and it was a huge help in my hobbies. Everyone in the vids are all long time industry pros too, fun stuff to watch if your a hands on pro or hobbyist.

https://www.stanwinstonschool.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GA3GW63ZqE

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Just finished watching Eternals (well, had it on in the background while doing other stuff, mostly) and it's aptly named because the runtime feels eternal :haw:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

reignofevil posted:

30 seconds of discussion is like easily 30 seconds more consideration than I would have guessed they had given it. Maybe even 31 seconds more consideration.

They should have had the balls to make it jar jar.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Tunicate posted:

They should have had the balls to make it jar jar.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Was watching clips of deadpool 2 tonight, drat funny stuff but yeah whenever the kid shows up everything comes to a screeching halt. Really unfortunate.

Something I learned was the juggernaut was voiced by Reynolds and pitch shifted, lol. Despite being a big CG fight the Colossus/Juggernaut battle was fun and fairly brutal. Domino is fantastic too.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
one of the more enjoyable things I saw last year is streaming in the US now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaLqKLf2f7U

much like one cut of the dead, it's an ultra low budget japanese comedy propelled by a clever premise

Pastamania
Mar 5, 2012

You cannot know.
The things I've seen.
The things I've done.
The things he made me do.

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Been watching the Star Wars 9 Digital Extras, which are available on Youtube for some reason

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0MRq_FYz2Q

When I was a child, there was a Behind The Scenes TV special for Return of the Jedi, and I was so excited to watch it, but I fell asleep and my mom didn't want to wake me. I was so sad I missed it. I think I even had the tape recorder ready to go. So this is nice, being able to watch this whenever.

Now, this Behind The Scenes has a clip of JJ saying "We knew it would be a challenge to finish the story of a 9 movie epic saga. We sat down and discussed if the Emperor should return to end the story, and after only 30 seconds we realized it was the right choice."

If only they'd discussed it for a bit longer :negative:

It's kind of sad to see every single person in the cast and crew giving it all (even the actual soldier army of Jordan helped out, because it's STAR WARS), wonderful fx and puppetry, and, well... I wish I could see the movie they're talking about! :v:

Still, very cool to watch how much work goes into this, just... Maybe next time put that same amount of work into the story :twisted:

I award this 5/5 Comfys, and a little Star Wars notebook where JJ can hopefully write down his ideas first, for next time

The fact that the sequels were so well produced just makes the garbage fire of the scripts somehow worse.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

priznat posted:

Was watching clips of deadpool 2 tonight, drat funny stuff but yeah whenever the kid shows up everything comes to a screeching halt. Really unfortunate.

Something I learned was the juggernaut was voiced by Reynolds and pitch shifted, lol. Despite being a big CG fight the Colossus/Juggernaut battle was fun and fairly brutal. Domino is fantastic too.

The movie making fun of Rob Liefeld is great, too. Or sort of making fun of him.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

poisonpill posted:

'member when movies had crazy full-band theme songs that completely didn't match the tone of the film?

I miss them

Yes, I do remember Spaceballs.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Waltzing Along posted:

The movie making fun of Rob Liefeld is great, too. Or sort of making fun of him.

Yeah that was a fun nod, and Reynold apparently called him to ask if he’d be cool with the gag which is nice (not sure if Liefeld gets a cut of royalties or whatever)

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Castor Poe posted:

IT'S A DELGO FOR A NEW GENERATION

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

poisonpill posted:

'member when movies had crazy full-band theme songs that completely didn't match the tone of the film?

I miss them

I remember a lot of 70s movies had terrible music just fuckin blaring

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Stink Billyums posted:

much like one cut of the dead, it's an ultra low budget japanese comedy propelled by a clever premise

Bumping this.

This is a good palate cleanser for SW sequel talk. Look at what clever things you can do if put more than 30 minutes thought into it.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Vakal posted:

Rob Schneider tells a great story where they were both on set for a movie and one day Steven Seagal burst out of his trailer wearing a kimono and loudly announces that he just finished reading the greatest script that he has ever see.

So Schneider says "Really? Who wrote it?"

Seagal just replies. "I did."
The other one he told on Stern (second hand, I forget who was there firsthand) that made me lol was when the Dali Lama granted him some deity status (or something) and he was waxing on about how he feels more serene and elevated and wise etc. and then one of his ex wives calls and he just starts yelling expletives in the phone.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Practical effects own

Pulchritudinous
May 19, 2005
It means "to reduce by one-tenth."

pangstrom posted:

The other one he told on Stern (second hand, I forget who was there firsthand) that made me lol was when the Dali Lama granted him some deity status (or something) and he was waxing on about how he feels more serene and elevated and wise etc. and then one of his ex wives calls and he just starts yelling expletives in the phone.

LMFAO no way. That's just too perfect

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
https://twitter.com/etienneshrdlu/status/1485956332989693953?s=20

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

What the gently caress lmao

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I hate every NF I see from NFA to NFTeeeee

Fallon is such a loving moron I hate him so much. God he sucks. I guess the plan was to get someone like Leno to slot in there (ie poo poo) and by god they succeeded. Conan was too good for it!

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Reminder to myself to doop back to this post in five years and see how that room full of people applauding the purchase of a link to a website hosting a jpg holds up in retrospect.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Watch that Dan Olsen video and laugh at these fools. Greater fools if you will.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Stink Billyums posted:

This looks fun, gonna add it to the endless list of movies to watch

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Back in like 2006 I met Ray Park at a fan convention and didn't really know what to say to him beyond "Uh, I think you were cool in Star Wars and X-Man" so I asked him who the biggest rear end in a top hat in Hollywood he ever interacted with was. He thought about it for a sec then said Steven Seagal, and told me a story about being invited to Seagals office to discuss a movie and sitting down in the chair that was so low it was practically on the ground, while Seagal's desk and chair were like 8 and 10 feet off the ground respectively. The entire time Seagal was just looming down at him. I wonder if he's told this story anywhere else it'd be nice if it was just me and Ray Parks little secret that im ruining now

At that very same convention, at the very next table, was Jeremy Bullock AKA the OG Boba Fett, an exceedingly kind little british gent. Boba wanted to get up to go to the bathroom for like 20 minutes but who should be blocking him but Bozo the fuckin' Clown. Bozo is being a real rear end in a top hat, cutting the fan line to shoot the poo poo with Darth Maul for an exceedingly long time, and Boba Fett was getting very fidgety because he was too polite to say anything about it. His equally elegant british wife was sitting there also getting pissed, and eventually just loudly exclaimed "Well, just ask him to MOVE, Jeremy!"

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Hey Paris, it's Thad your business manager. Look, I don't know how to say this so I'm just gonna say it: like 80% of your money is wrapped up in crypto right now......huh?.....it doesn't matter what it is but our firm, and by extension, you, have a loving rear end load of this poo poo....oh, well turns out it was all a huge pyramid scheme and now we're about to be hosed. Unless
....you start talking about it. Like we thought if you could get out there and make a sextape with a NFT or....Jimmy Fallon??... like on his show?...I mean sure. Just as long as the public thinks you like them, those dopes will buy in and we'll offload this and break even.....okay.....gently caress you too....bye.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

The worst part of this by far is Fallon admitting that he loves Yacht Rock.

Of course he does.