Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Suzaku posted:

On the one hand, I didn't need it either. On the other hand, Gundam Factory Yokohama is closing at the end of March so this is pretty much a rare kit of a rare kit.

And I could justify the order by adding a few AGE MGs and a Hardgraph set I'd had my eye on.

Well, gently caress, I thought it was going to be around for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Marsupial Ape posted:

Currently putting together a gunpla for the first time in a long time. I'm having a good results using nanoglass nail files smoothing out nub marks. Inevitably, though, I am putting scratches and mars in the plastic. What can I use to buff those out?

poo poo like this is why I am considering jumping straight into painting.

Oh, and it's a Jesta, btw.

Basically just finer grade files/sandpaper. #600 > #800 > #1000 is enough for regular polystyrene. #400 is fine but removes material a bit too fast, anything lower is much too harsh for plastic.

Unfortunately painting doesn't actually do anything for surface imperfections, they'll show straight through to the top coat if you don't put in a primer/filler/sanding process and that's just even more sanding.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Looks like just gluing the ribbon and the cover on the Exia is the way to go. I think I'll get on that after until after I've finished with all the model's accessories. Looks like I want polystyrene plastic cement, and not the Krazy Glue I currently have in my junk drawer, right?

Anyway, I took some of the calf pieces off so I could sand them down, because the backs kind of looked bad, and put them back on, still looking kind of bad. A few minutes later, I noticed this:

I guess this happened after I put it back on? So that's something I have to deal with now.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Dr Christmas posted:

Looks like just gluing the ribbon and the cover on the Exia is the way to go. I think I'll get on that after until after I've finished with all the model's accessories. Looks like I want polystyrene plastic cement, and not the Krazy Glue I currently have in my junk drawer, right?

The ribbon is made of moon plastic so the poly cement won't touch it. Regular cyanoacrylate glue is what you want in this case.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
What is the painting experience like for clear part models?

I’m getting more into painting Gunpla now and I just had the thought of just repainting the Hazen’thley Rah II I got off of p-Bandai if i end up not liking how the clear parts look to just it’s normal colors, was wondering if there are any caveats I should know about dealing with clear plastic pieces in general

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

RillAkBea posted:

Basically just finer grade files/sandpaper. #600 > #800 > #1000 is enough for regular polystyrene. #400 is fine but removes material a bit too fast, anything lower is much too harsh for plastic.

Unfortunately painting doesn't actually do anything for surface imperfections, they'll show straight through to the top coat if you don't put in a primer/filler/sanding process and that's just even more sanding.

Thanks. How dumb would it be for me to try using a buffer wheel on my Dremel?

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Marsupial Ape posted:

Very dumb.

Just Dan Again
Dec 16, 2012

Adventure!
I just put together the Crimson Gouf Custom from the new line, and it inspired me to give my regular old blue Gouf Custom another look. It's nice to see how far I've come over the past year on things like nub cleanup (definitely all me, the Godhand has nothing to do with it), but that didn't explain why the arms kept falling off. Turns out I've gotten better at something else- actually installing every piece. There are some polycaps in the shoulders that actually hold the upper arms in place, and I managed to just... not install them. There weren't any spares in the Crimson's kit, so hopefully at some point I pick up another kit with a matching polycap sprue that I can salvage them from.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Marsupial Ape posted:

That will make the scratches go away. And the plastic underneath the scratches too.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

MechaX posted:

What is the painting experience like for clear part models?

I’m getting more into painting Gunpla now and I just had the thought of just repainting the Hazen’thley Rah II I got off of p-Bandai if i end up not liking how the clear parts look to just it’s normal colors, was wondering if there are any caveats I should know about dealing with clear plastic pieces in general

If you don't care about the parts being transparent anymore, prime and paint as normal.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer
I'm kind of enjoying the raw uncut flex of buying clear P-Bandai models and then painting them anyway.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
I actually really like the idea of painting one half. Do the internals stand out from the clear? The plastic always looks kinda foggy in pictures.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

built a p-bandai kit i'd been waiting on for a while, and it's just as cool as i'd hoped

gundam marine type from the HG The Origin line. i havent been disappointed by any The Origin kits yet

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I have a couple clear models and having a glass file to sand down nubs and then using a buffer to polish up the surface is almost a requirement.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

Marx Headroom posted:

I actually really like the idea of painting one half. Do the internals stand out from the clear? The plastic always looks kinda foggy in pictures.

It can look pretty good with some work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsjJSya_6aE

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Marx Headroom posted:

My worst gunpla mistake was using a hairdryer to try and remove frosting on a matte topcoat. My RG Unicorn melted...

Okay now pose him next to a lightbulb and pretend he flew too close to the sun ☀

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
If I'm too cheap/lazy to wetsand and play around with polish, what kind of results can you get with one of the foam blocks for polishing your nails and/or putting on a coat of Future floor polish (or whatever they're calling it these days)?

Marsupial Ape posted:

Bill Posters posted:

It can look pretty good with some work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsjJSya_6aE

Seems to work well if you use the right stuff and know what you're doing.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

So after building a few HGs I'm feeling confident enough to pick up an MG again. Currently I've got my eyes on either the Origin RX-78, the Barbatos or the Mobile GINN since they're available at my local hobby store. I'm guessing the Barbatos would probably not be a good idea if I'm still shaking the rust off?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Get the Ginn. It's got the biggest crest

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Moola posted:

Okay now pose him next to a lightbulb and pretend he flew too close to the sun ☀

He took the colony laser but failed to go beyond the time.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Bloody Pom posted:

So after building a few HGs I'm feeling confident enough to pick up an MG again. Currently I've got my eyes on either the Origin RX-78, the Barbatos or the Mobile GINN since they're available at my local hobby store. I'm guessing the Barbatos would probably not be a good idea if I'm still shaking the rust off?

If you go slow and look at the instructions carefully, you should be fine, but yeah. Barbatos can be trickier.

The Origin RX-78-02 is the best MG of the Grandaddy, with plenty of gear, so if you don't feel confident in Barbatos, it's a good pick.

Just Dan Again
Dec 16, 2012

Adventure!

Gaius Marius posted:

Get the Ginn. It's got the biggest crest

The GINN cleans up super nice. I wasn't expecting much when I picked it up to round out my MG Seed set, but it's a really nicely engineered kit.

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

This is probably my favorite thing I've seen done with a clear kit

This is pretty cool too

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I wish I had any artistic sense at all to do something like that. My painting super power is the uncanny ability to mix Tamiya acrylics to perfectly match the color of the underlying plastic.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
that stained glass one is amazing

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I pulled my HG ground gundam out of my closet. It's a nice kit but it's definitely a more conventional build.

I think the Beyond Global has spoiled me because I'd love to see the Ground Gundam with a similar build quality. Or they could actually finish that RG Ground Gundam or an RG Ez8.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Arrived today, although my cat Creampuff says shes the true beast of possibility and shes about to go mess her sister up.

Space Opera
Jun 5, 2011

That rabbit's got a vicious streak a mile wide! It's a killer!

mllaneza posted:

But wait ! The best site for browsing and ordering paints is actually ScaleHobbyist.com. Want to compare the 3 different purples in the MechaColor line ? Easy. Which come in 17mm and which in 60mm bottles ? Another click. They have 571 different browns in the catalog, 450 Tans; 70 oils, 780 lacquers, it goes on. You can drill down to whatever you're looking for.

They also have a good collection of tools, historical scale models, and stuff for dioramas.

https://www.scalehobbyist.com/catagories/Paint_and_Construction/browse.php?s=3&t=1&u=1

I'll check this one out as well, thanks! I'm probably not going to order anything for a good while as I'm in rehab for a dominant hand injury, but hopefully in a few months I can get back to gunpla.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Gallantmon and now RG Exia - PET seals for important parts really haven't made a good first impression.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
My first dude! Started sometime between Christmas and New Year, took a week off after shearing off the thing that wasn't supposed to be sheared off, completed him Friday night.

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
My (preordered) RG Hi Nu Gundam finally arrived, can't wait to see how it compares to the Nu and Sazabi.

Also threw in the Freedom 2.0 to feel less bad about FedEx shipping costs

Just Dan Again
Dec 16, 2012

Adventure!

Dr Christmas posted:

My first dude! Started sometime between Christmas and New Year, took a week off after shearing off the thing that wasn't supposed to be sheared off, completed him Friday night.

Looks nice and clean, especially for a first dude! Congrats!

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
My beyond global RX-7-3 is nearly here and I'm very excited

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
I love that you call them your 'dudes'. I call them my 'little buddies'.

I'm 41.

Goddamit.

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe
FOMO caused me to snag the last PGUnleashed RX-78 that Gundam Planet had in stock. I've somehow never built a PG before in the 20 years I've been building, and I am psyched. It really does look like the ultimate gunpla. Are any other PGs worth the hefty price tag?

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I enjoyed building the Exia and didn't really have fun with the Phenex.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/GoGoAndyRobo/status/1485747794686222337?s=20

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Ernesti Eschivalier has entered the chat.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Moai Ou posted:

FOMO caused me to snag the last PGUnleashed RX-78 that Gundam Planet had in stock. I've somehow never built a PG before in the 20 years I've been building, and I am psyched. It really does look like the ultimate gunpla. Are any other PGs worth the hefty price tag?

Emphatically not the Eva-01.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

Moai Ou posted:

The Unleashed seems like an attempt to breathe some new life back into a neglected line; or just a space to have fun in spite of the rest of the line, depending on how you look at it. I feel like at this point there are better versions of every PG suit in either HG, MG, or RG form. Eva included, as grassy gnoll said. Exia was the last one that I think was well received and even that one is like 5 years old at this point. Unless you're crazy about 1/60 as a scale PG is pretty underwhelming imo. That being said I've never built a PG so I could be way off base lol