Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: dead gay comedy forums)

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
the keyboard and gaming chair

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Glad to know what Brown Moses' sock puppet account is.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Mafic Rhyolite posted:

Has anyone come up with a new symbol as good as the hammer and sickle was a hundred years ago? It was a banger when it dropped but nobody knows what the gently caress a sickle even is anymore and you can't really put modern farming equipment on a flag.

How do you represent solidarity between different sectors of the working class nowadays?

i always liked the CPUSA's giant gear

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Picrew av and a condenser mic

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

gonna go with the silhouette of a hunting knife being driven through a giant mosquito for my flag entry

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit
Hard hat is what I was thinking too, it's hard for me to envision a flag with a name tag on it that works well but I think I'm not a great vexillologist. It'd be good to have something that encompasses workers everywhere, but I don't know if it's possible to do that with only two symbols in the current state of neoliberal laborer jobs. The giant gear of the CPUSA isn't necessarily bad, but I feel like it has too many other associations with unrelated concepts to labour and kinda represents automation to me in a sense. I don't feel like most workers see a lot of gears in their daily life at work or elsewhere anymore.

I can't think of anything else to represent retail workers though, and I think that "hard hat people and name tag people" are a good and very large portion of the working class that could work as a unifying symbol.

I'm not into roses or stars or anything, any rear end in a top hat can put a star on their flag, that article points out that the swastika had literally nothing to do with the Nazi ideology or government at all and I think that's something good to keep in mind. Hell, the most destructive country in all of human history has 50 friggin stars on it and they don't mean poo poo.

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

A black nonslip shoe and a cellphone with the Uber driver app open, over a background the color of a cardboard box (brown)

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
i think the communist flag should remain a hammer and sickle personally. if it only has an audience in the developing world where there’s still an industrial proletariat and an embattled peasantry, well, so be it. JDPON time

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

the mocha china latte and the COFFEE FLAVORED COFFEE

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit
No that's terrible, Mao would call that dogmatism and remind us that Marxist ideology must be adaptable to current circumstances. The things that worked a hundred years ago have to change or they will fail and die.

The revolution must be able to work everywhere, including the Imperial core, or it will be crushed by the forces of imperialist capitalism from the safety of their enclaves surrounded by workers too ignorant to organise and understand the need for struggle and unity in the first place.

The hammer and sickle can never mean anything to the workers in the Imperial core unless you can convince all of them to reada bunch of history and emulate people who've been dead for decades. You have to appeal to material circumstances or you'll never make headway.

Mafic Rhyolite has issued a correction as of 03:48 on Jan 24, 2022

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
how about the Christmas story lamp silhouette on red

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

The raised fist is the best option if you were to update it for Americans I guess

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
five dicks docking to make a star

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

A blue elephant on a red background

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit

SorePotato posted:

The raised fist is the best option if you were to update it for Americans I guess

I fear that even the raised fist has too much historical context required to really understand it. We live in a time where the forces of capital have an iron grip on what is taught to us in school and the average person graduates with an understanding of history so poor that it would be better that they were taught nothing at all. A raised fist has nothing specifically to do with labor and rather symbolises solidarity, which is obviously good, but the bourgeoisie and their liberal cronies in the many media apparatuses they control can have solidarity with each other just as easily, and can easily co-opt a symbol like that.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The twitch logo set inside the Spotify logo

In red

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

hammer and sickle good and classic imo

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit

gradenko_2000 posted:

The twitch logo set inside the Spotify logo

In red

gradenko_2000 posted:

Picrew av and a condenser mic

Homeless Friend posted:

the keyboard and gaming chair

I get the joke but leftist podcasters don't need an appealing flag, they're already bought in to some extent, and streamers don't make up enough of the working class for me to really think they need a great deal of forward facing representation in the movement.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
lf already made the perfect flag anyway

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

SorePotato posted:

A blue elephant on a red background

corn and soy on red

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
the top half is a ballot, but the lower half morphs into a guillotine blade

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

a gas pedal crossed with a back brace

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

a top hat getting torn in pieces.

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

The hi-vis vests seemed to be decent symbolism, I don't know about making a flag out of it.

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit
The vests work in France as a symbol of people who drive cars rather than specifically of labor because everyone who drives a vehicle in France is legally required to have one in their car in case it breaks down. Elsewhere it kinda makes you think of people at work, but it's been pretty handily co-opted by reactionary dipshits who think the prime minister sets the gas prices by hand.

Not good for a flag either.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
reactionary spreadsheet jockey throwing himself headlong into revolutionary left wing politics when he sees a red flag with a computer on it

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
a hardhat and a cell phone with the uber app open

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

a full color photo of a bridgeport series 1 9" x 48" 2hp milling machine

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
I've heard some people here mention control theory and cybernetics WRT to Chinese economic management. Are there any good resources to learning how these kind of techniques are used in contemporary China, and how they relate to Marxist theory?

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Goon Project: Let’s Centrally Plan an Industrial Economy

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

GalacticAcid posted:

Dibs on being the cannabis czar

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
it's pretty simple, you just get an all red flag. then when everyone has a red flag, then you can add your own twist to it.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

GalacticAcid posted:

finally my factorio experience will pay off

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

GalacticAcid posted:

get the forecasts and we can start dynamically pegging it :hmmyes:

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

GalacticAcid posted:

the Workers & Resources Soviet Republic thread is in the games forum.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

cat botherer posted:

I've heard some people here mention control theory and cybernetics WRT to Chinese economic management. Are there any good resources to learning how these kind of techniques are used in contemporary China, and how they relate to Marxist theory?

What if we put Central planning on the blockchain. Is that a thing yet.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

tokin opposition posted:

Dibs on being the cannabis czar

Maoism, but instead of backyard iron smelting its basement 3D printers and bioreactors.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Ordzhonikidze & Pyatakov achieving spectacular annual increases in Funko Pop production

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

power grows from the exhaust pipe of a ford f150

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I would like to respectfully offer the following point of view: symbols matter less than what one does representing the thoughts they symbolize.

Like how the us flag itself became more important than the idea of the freedom it supposedly allows (including the ability to disrespect it). Values spoken vs values acted. That kind of basic integrity poo poo.