Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Immolat1on
Sep 9, 2005

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Lewis didn’t mention Jesus once, nor the Judeo-Christian god Yahweh I think.

I've found this pretty interesting the past few years with Lewis. He really doesn't mention religion at all anymore, right? Am I misremembering how much he used to talk about it in past?

For a dude decked in crosses he doesn't do the typical "first of all I wanna thank God" much less ever mention Our Jesus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Those bananas and herring actually sound pretty good.

I ended up with spaghetti, butter and seasoned salt. Simple dinner, but the kids would eat it.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

His career was abnormally long and has huge CV gaps - he started in JF3 in 1994, vanished and then reappeared at the end of the 90s in the same series.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I don't think there's any way you could languish in the lower formula for a decade these days. which is kinda sad

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Sean Gelael came pretty close, 2015-2021 in Formula 2, once came 8th in British Formula 3, a series that had 8 full time cars.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Dudley posted:

Sean Gelael came pretty close, 2015-2021 in Formula 2, once came 8th in British Formula 3, a series that had 8 full time cars.

He also had the greatest helmet of all time:

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Theophany posted:

And you had plenty of time to see it as he got as many F2 wins as I have.

Cataffy
Aug 12, 2008
His dad owns KFC distribution for Indonesia. In addition to funding his mediocre son for way too long, he also funded various other drivers junior career, seemingly because they were good lads who mean well. Giovanazzi being one of them.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

italian quid posted:

I don't think there's any way you could languish in the lower formula for a decade these days. which is kinda sad

I think I've said it before but the rush to push kids through junior formulae to get them in F1 by the age of 21 is doing a bit of harm. it may not have been "better" back in the day, but young drivers definitely had a lot more opportunity to get seasoning in the 1980s and 1990s before getting a shot at the big cars.

the other part of it is the testing bans, somebody like Yuki Tsunoda would absolutely have been a full-time test driver last year (or in 2020) and been much better when he arrived for that experience. run two Grand Prix distances a day around Jerez, Barcelona, and like Silverstone for a few months and improve.

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Someone posted a bunch of photos of Lewis and Roscoe on reddit, which reminded me for some reason that Lewis had another dog for like a year or two.

I'm not going crazy right? It died after a couple of years?

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Custard Undies posted:

Someone posted a bunch of photos of Lewis and Roscoe on reddit, which reminded me for some reason that Lewis had another dog for like a year or two.

I'm not going crazy right? It died after a couple of years?

Yeah, Coco died a couple of years ago. I think it wasn't well for a time so he stopped bringing it to races as much as Roscoe.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Frond posted:

He was hammered by Tomoki Nojiri in Super Formula in the same car, although he did outperform Ticktum and Vips. He would be eaten alive in F1.

I don't disagree, but he'd be replacing Ricciardo so it would probably still be an improvement.

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Theophany posted:

Yeah, Coco died a couple of years ago. I think it wasn't well for a time so he stopped bringing it to races as much as Roscoe.

Ah that's right! Thanks Theo.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Much as I worship our lord and savior Lewis, he needs more honest dogs. His dogs are fashion dogs.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Theophany posted:

incredible

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

harperdc posted:

I think I've said it before but the rush to push kids through junior formulae to get them in F1 by the age of 21 is doing a bit of harm. it may not have been "better" back in the day, but young drivers definitely had a lot more opportunity to get seasoning in the 1980s and 1990s before getting a shot at the big cars.

the other part of it is the testing bans, somebody like Yuki Tsunoda would absolutely have been a full-time test driver last year (or in 2020) and been much better when he arrived for that experience. run two Grand Prix distances a day around Jerez, Barcelona, and like Silverstone for a few months and improve.

I think the testing side is undersold. And bear in mind the pathetic running most rookies get before F1 is mostly on filming days with old cars running on concrete tyres.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Much as I worship our lord and savior Lewis, he needs more honest dogs. His dogs are fashion dogs.

they are disgusting and support abusive dog breeders. Lewis Hamilton should be ashamed of himself and retire from F1 immediately

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003

Feels Villeneuve posted:

they are disgusting and support abusive dog breeders. Lewis Hamilton should be ashamed of himself and retire from F1 immediately

i am pretty sure i read somewhere that the reason Lewis had Coco and Roscoe was due to a rescue situation, and he knew he could afford their very expensive medical care? that may have just been for Coco (he did talk a lot about her health on instagram updates, especially when she died), and i also cannot find where I read that with a quick google search. either way, i am hopeful he rescued these fashion dogs because he could care for them because the breeding practices are quite sad.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

As soon as you post cute pictures of them on Instagram, you instantly make them more fashionable, and expand demand for breeding them.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Watching 81 and 82. Seems like 82 is the first season where full racecourse fencing became the norm; 81 still had some races with marshalls hanging out without cover next to the road and inside corners. It also seems like 82 was the first year where races have proper camera coverage. The Olivetti timing screens are all kinds of awful.

Also, I kinda hate how the early 80’s cars look with the driver upfront, before they mandated mocing them back behind the front axle.

Mokotow fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jan 25, 2022

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
The posts of coco on Instagram were horrific. She was a rescue dog with a genetic condition that meant her tongue wouldn’t stop growing so she spent half her life having it cut short and being fed via a tube and these were the pictures he posted

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

learnincurve posted:

The posts of coco on Instagram were horrific. She was a rescue dog with a genetic condition that meant her tongue wouldn’t stop growing so she spent half her life having it cut short and being fed via a tube and these were the pictures he posted

boy that sure seems far more humane than just putting the dog down lol

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

It’s tough to judge that because when it’s happening you’re really only focused on getting them better. It’s hard to take a step back and judge the situation completely independently of your emotions. Vets, at least in the USA, also tend to not really provide that objective option because it cuts off their revenue.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I had a whole thing with the vets and my dog the past few months they're all con men as far as I'm concerned

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:

italian quid posted:

I had a whole thing with the vets and my dog the past few months they're all con men as far as I'm concerned

Thank you for confirming my frankly truthful conspiracy theory.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Mokotow posted:

The Olivetti timing screens are all kinds of awful.

Somehow using their lovely loving typewriters was even worse.

italian quid posted:

I'm lucky in that my local vet clinic is staffed entirely with kids fresh out of vet school who aren't yet jaded enough to see my dog as a money spinner. The last one was full on 'what can we do with science to keep making payments on my Porsche prolong this mutt's suffering?'

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

italian quid posted:

boy that sure seems far more humane than just putting the dog down lol
Modern bullldogs are a travesty of breeding.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Mokotow posted:

Watching 81 and 82. Seems like 82 is the first season where full racecourse fencing became the norm; 81 still had some races with marshalls hanging out without cover next to the road and inside corners. It also seems like 82 was the first year where races have proper camera coverage. The Olivetti timing screens are all kinds of awful.

Also, I kinda hate how the early 80’s cars look with the driver upfront, before they mandated mocing them back behind the front axle.

I think FOCA was behind the modernisation of race coverage and promotion where it was centralized, and that was either then or 1983, yeah.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Didn’t know Lewis’s dogs were rescues, pleased to have confirmation that Lewis is the most Moral and Good F1 driver and that anyone who roots for another driver is a Hobbesian nihilist who must be stopped.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Theophany posted:

Somehow using their lovely loving typewriters was even worse.

I'm lucky in that my local vet clinic is staffed entirely with kids fresh out of vet school who aren't yet jaded enough to see my dog as a money spinner. The last one was full on 'what can we do with science to keep making payments on my Porsche prolong this mutt's suffering?'

I used my parents vets up until I got a $2,000 quote to have some teeth pulled. Went out to the boonies and magically the dog suddenly didn't have 75% of the conditions they were previously telling me he had.

I liked this one a lot but they are edging closer to the "let's just throw poo poo out there" bullshit, they want to do a bunch of teeth poo poo now because "he may need it down the road". He had some lump that got infected and they were totally loving useless at giving actual advice and I ended up telling them to just get it cut out without any of the biopsy horseshit. When he got infected again a few months later just loving drained the puss myself and put some polysporin on it and saved myself the $150 vet bill.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

It’s tough to judge that because when it’s happening you’re really only focused on getting them better. It’s hard to take a step back and judge the situation completely independently of your emotions. Vets, at least in the USA, also tend to not really provide that objective option because it cuts off their revenue.

An odd place to be on the subject, but while we're on it - everyone with pets should strongly consider finding a vet that will do in home euthanasia when they are getting on in years. There's one in my area who makes regular visits toward end of life to get the pet comfortable with them, and having had both situations, it's just so much nicer for your pet to be at home, unstressed, with people they are all familiar with, than to rush them to some random vet office they're terrified of under normal circumstances let alone while they're really sick.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

italian quid posted:

That's the weird thing. He had 5 entries in 1994 and then reappeared mysteriously is 1997 or 1998.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I think FOCA was behind the modernisation of race coverage and promotion where it was centralized, and that was either then or 1983, yeah.

Wasn't it '81?

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
I like the way the '82 cars look. Quite a lot.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
'82 is a crazy season.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

italian quid posted:

They put their lives on the line for our country you loving rear end in a top hat

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Way to make me miss my dog that died like 3 years ago thread

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

only had one good vet experience with a country vet that stitched my dog up after I ran him over (I got to help with (superficial) surgery!)

city vets are goblins

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
My dog got doggie knee surgery, it took like 35 minutes, cost $5000 and the dog surgeon drove a 911 turbo with a vanity plate that said DocVet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

your friend wicka posted:

They put their lives on the line for our country you loving rear end in a top hat

lol