Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass is on break.

Old School Peanuts (Apr 25, 1953)

Calvin and Hobbes (Aug 15-16, 1990)

Blind Alley

https://kumerish.com/blind-alley

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Has this Mary Worth plot turned stupid as hell? Yes. Has it also been riveting? Yes. To me, anyway. As far as I'm concerned, if Moy wants to veer this strip hard into balls-out crazy, that's fine with me. Just don't expect Mary to ever give good advice or for the "happy endings" to actually be happy to anyone who isn't a meddling old bag.

Anyways, today Estelle and Wilbur Jr are bawling their eyes out, but Mary's eyes are dry as the desert. She lives for this poo poo.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Costume?

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
And He Did! February 13, 1919

Outbursts of Everett True February 12, 1919

Gay and Her Gang February 24, 1930

Oaky Doaks July 25, 1936

Mopsy October 2, 1937

Up Front November 6, 1944

Dark Laughter September 16, 1950

So It Seems April 8, 1952

Those Were the Days May 15, 1958

Wee Pals April 16, 1966

Dogbert November 16, 1966

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Slammy posted:

So It Seems April 8, 1952

Still accurate.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Some Guy TT posted:

Hm? I must have missed that one. I only remember the ones where he went after Little Orphan Annie.

It was slipped into the same arc.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Alhazred posted:

The Good Innvandrer

In truth, recognizing that I can set boundaries, have the right to set boundaries and that I don't have to first justify the boundaries out loud to set them has not only helped establish myself, it has also helped me respect other people's boundaries.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Mary should call Frank Drebin to help console them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKoHh3Btqgs&t=131s

I thought you were gonna post this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYdUZfHGP04&t=654s

Samovar fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Jan 25, 2022

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

Pearls Before Swine

Skippy (May 9, 1934)

Peanuts (January 26-27, 1975)

Funky Winkerbean featuring AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAUGH GODDAMMIT LES MOORE!

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (August 25, 1938)

Out Our Way (February 10-12, 1938)

Toonerville Folks (August 19-21, 1918)

Dok's Swivel-Hips Duck (December 13, 1913)

Little Lefty (December 23-25, 1935)

And as a Red Xmas "treat" here's an excerpt from a "real letter" to Santa published under that last strip. Mom went to the hospital, dad lost his poverty wages WPA job, they got kicked out of their apartment for nonpayment. The stuff they don't sing carols about.

quote:

I'm not telling Mamma that I'm writing to you, because she just came out of the hospital, and she feels terrible anyway, she's so sure we won't get anything for Christmas. I don't blame her much, because we really have been having an awful time since Pop went on the WPA.

There are seven of us, counting me and the rest of the kids and Mamma and Dad. From September to the middle of November Pop worked as a day laborer on the WPA, for less than 60 dollars a month, and we didn't get any supplementary relief. They shut off the gas and electricity and finally kicked us out of the house we lived In because we couldn't pay any rent.

(:words: about mom's condition sending her to the hospital, and that's why dad lost his job, and the grocer gave them credit but the Relief Bureau ran them off of him. It goes on like that.)

So you see we can't expect much of a Christmas. The kids have been talking about the toys they want, but I guess they'll be lucky if they get the white bread and cocoa we usually eat, or oatmeal and potatoes.

Mamma's back from the hospital now, of course, but she can't do anything. The housekeepers will keep on coming for a while till Mamma can get out of bed. but what can they do when the relief money's gone and the grocer has to stop giving us credit? Mamma told me yesterday that Dad applied to the Salvation Army for a Christmas basket and they said they couldn't do anything, he should have applied a month ago. So I guess there won't be any Christmas here unless you come around. Our name is O'Connor and we live in the lower Bronx, in case you want to come.

Now that you know all about us, maybe you'll know what to give us for Christmas. There's so much I want to ask for, that I don't know where to begin, Another bed, or a stove for the front room, or some clothes. Little Margery is three and she doesn't have any clothes at all. She's around the house now with an old blue summer dress on and nothing else. And Dad needs clothes for the WPA Job. Or maybe you could bring us some extra blankets, or a little meat. Mamma ought to have about a pound of beef liver a day, and we can't even afford to buy chopped meat. I guess I'll just leave it up to you.

MARY O'CONNOR

And that's where I leave you for tonight, cos Depression-era Commies don't screw around.

e: because I stopped typing too soon last night. Yes, again. Sorry.

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jan 25, 2022

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean featuring AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAUGH GODDAMMIT LES MOORE!

"Penny for your thoughts, Les."
"Dying. Illness. Impending Death."
"Jesus Christ, always with this poo poo."

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Slammy posted:

Those Were the Days May 15, 1958

It's a vagina, not a clown car.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

EasyEW posted:

Pearls Before Swine

...does... Does this person have ANY brain?!

Samovar fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Jan 25, 2022

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

EasyEW posted:

Crankshaft

Crankshaft says that people who didn't wear masks were ignoramuses, yet they're all talking about how it's nice to not have to wear masks anymore when we are still in a loving pandemic (and many places still have mask mandates). Curious! Tom Batuik is not very intelligent at all.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

JethroMcB posted:

Wilbur washed ashore on an island like 12 hours after falling off the boat
Wilbur almost immediately realized it was a resort island
Wilbur apparently has not attempted to contact anybody in the last week

This plot was painstakingly workshopped to be a dumb as possible.
Hopefully it's an abandoned resort island.

also gently caress you crankshaft STOP DOING COVID STRIPS

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Compu-toon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

riderchop fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Jan 25, 2022

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

Samovar posted:

...does... Does this person have ANY brain?!

This is your brain on centrism

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Curtis seems to have gotten stuck in a loop. :ohdear:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

somepartsareme posted:

This is your brain on centrism

But... He recognizes that the position he writes about would be considered communism... Does he not think communism is leftist?! Is he... What is he saying?!

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

readingatwork posted:

Calvin and Hobbes (Aug 15-16, 1990)

A while back, people were saying that Calvin acts out because he can tell that his parents subconciously don't want him. I thought people were reading too much into things. I had forgotten this strip.

e:

riderchop posted:

On The Fastrack

The most unbelievable thing to happen in a strip where people turn into mermaids or whatever.

Mr. Squishy fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Jan 25, 2022

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Samovar posted:

But... He recognizes that the position he writes about would be considered communism... Does he not think communism is leftist?! Is he... What is he saying?!

He's saying that culture war stuff is promoted to distract from the growing financial inequality. For example, during the Trump administration, Bezos was held up as a hero of (some segment of) "the left" because his newspapers were critical of Trump. It's not a particularly complicated message, and I wouldn't say it's typical centrism. I would guess the confusion has arisen because nobody knows what anybody means when they say "the left".

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Bizarro

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Pastis isn't wrong that rich assholes are happy to let us poor folks fight among ourselves because it keeps us from trying to make them less rich. The problem is that he apparently thinks that if we came together and actually did something about those rich assholes, that society would be harmonious and wonderful. Except, you know, even if we succeeded in getting rid of billionaires, right wingers would still want to deport non-whites and ban gay and trans people.

e: not even getting into the fact that our political system is set up to make it impossible to vote for people who actually want to do something about rich assholes not getting taxed enough

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

I've only ever really used one food delivery app, but my general impression is that by the time the delivery person is at your door, you've long since paid for the meal, and you'd need to directly contact the company to carry out a threat of "I'm not going to pay for this."

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 1/24/02

Brenda Starr 1/15-17/48

Smokey Stover 10/21/45

Everyday Movies 10/11/34

"Georgie don't wear tops, so I get the large size and make his father wear the tops, and Georgie wears the pants."

(I was a bit confused by this one, but my guess is that they're talking about two-piece pajamas.)

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (March 24, 2010)

Arlo and Janis Classic (March 24, 2000)

Garfield Classic (March 24, 1990)

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

EasyEW posted:

Little Lefty (December 23-25, 1935)
And as a Red Xmas "treat" here's an excerpt from a "real letter" to Santa published under that last strip. Mom went to the hospital, dad lost his poverty wages WPA job, they got kicked out of their

And that's where I leave you for tonight, cos Depression-era Commies don't screw around.

:smith:

riderchop posted:

On The Fastrack

If the social media accounts can be managed by two employees on a part time basis, why do you need a separate LLC for this? Is this some kind of weird tax dodge or something?

Oh crap I do this

Mr. Squishy posted:

He's saying that culture war stuff is promoted to distract from the growing financial inequality. For example, during the Trump administration, Bezos was held up as a hero of (some segment of) "the left" because his newspapers were critical of Trump. It's not a particularly complicated message, and I wouldn't say it's typical centrism. I would guess the confusion has arisen because nobody knows what anybody means when they say "the left".

I'm always a little suspicious of anyone who compares the far left and far right like this. I don't think people who want a more equitable society necessarily have much in common with people who want an ethnostate, even if they both dislike the current system.

Anyway, here's Val.

Vintage Valiant (Jun. 12, 1949)

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Medenmath posted:

If the social media accounts can be managed by two employees on a part time basis, why do you need a separate LLC for this? Is this some kind of weird tax dodge or something?

Holbrook also doesn't seem to know what a "side hustle" is.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
I think you guys are overthinking the Pearls Before Swine.
Polarization drives engagement in all forms of media and it does in fact drive people apart even if there are irreconcilable differences between people in the lower class it definitely behooves the wealthy to keep us all at our own throats.

Hate watching the news, youtube videos, tiktok, doomscrolling, etc all drives ad revenue. Delicious delicious ad revenue.

e;
Of course there's a lot more things going on but Pastis just has the space of a newspaper comic to work with.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Val has been on such a hot streak, every strip is a pinch of joy in my day. Speaking of:

Jucika 1 - Jucika and Mud

2 - Jucika Goes To The Theater

Me in the center in panel 2.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Poor kid is basically a Val squire now. He'll be dead soon no matter what Gawain tries.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

MariusLecter posted:

I think you guys are overthinking the Pearls Before Swine.
Polarization drives engagement in all forms of media and it does in fact drive people apart even if there are irreconcilable differences between people in the lower class it definitely behooves the wealthy to keep us all at our own throats.

Hate watching the news, youtube videos, tiktok, doomscrolling, etc all drives ad revenue. Delicious delicious ad revenue.

e;
Of course there's a lot more things going on but Pastis just has the space of a newspaper comic to work with.

Pastis has been slowly turning more and more conservative over the years as he gets older, in the sense of "everyone is so offended, why can't I say things I wanna say?" so I'm not really willing to give him the benefit of the doubt when he says "far left is just like far right." He's exactly the kind of dipshit who would believe in horseshoe theory and swear he's a liberal.

FBI-mily Circus was funny though

Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Curtis

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Lol

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Sir Kuuno de Ruyter

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Vargo posted:

Pastis has been slowly turning more and more conservative over the years as he gets older, in the sense of "everyone is so offended, why can't I say things I wanna say?" so I'm not really willing to give him the benefit of the doubt when he says "far left is just like far right." He's exactly the kind of dipshit who would believe in horseshoe theory and swear he's a liberal.

I don't know anything about Pastis, I'll take your word for it.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

EBB posted:

Sir Kuuno de Ruyter

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Vargo posted:

I agree with this, but I also suspect part of why Pastis does what he does is he doesn't want to piss off anyone too bad so when he touches on politics he tends to both-sides it, or he waters down the impact of whatever message he is getting to by having pig say "Why don't we all just hug each other?" at the end. The last thing he wants is to impact his newspaper syndication or book sales.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

Actually, Estelle, I believe he went over the bars and hit the water.

Also Estelle's going to give in and they're going to get married aren't they? :(

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

That's kind of sweet really.

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

:sickos:

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Samovar posted:

Most people, even fairly left-leaning ones, don't read theory or know what terms like "communism", "leftist" or "liberal" actually mean because most people just read the newspaper a bit in the morning or watch MSNBC over dinner.

That said, I think the author is commenting on the way the media avoids talking about class issues rather than actually commenting on communism. The "communism" comment is less about the actual political theory and more a commentary on the way the right will shut down any left wing idea under the pretext of it being communist regardless of it's actual content. Which is true so I don't think it's fair to call Pastis a centrist just yet (at least based on this strip alone).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

readingatwork posted:

That said, I think the author is commenting on the way the media avoids talking about class issues rather than actually commenting on communism. The "communism" comment is less about the actual political theory and more a commentary on the way the right will shut down any left wing idea under the pretext of it being communist regardless of it's actual content. Which is true so I don't think it's fair to call Pastis a centrist just yet (at least based on this strip alone).

No, I don't think it's fair at all. He correctly reframes the issue away from "left vs. right" to "ruling class vs working class" and only adds the jab at Family Circus to keep things light.