Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

I ended up being boring and getting the Avenger, so I can pair its console with the one from the Arbiter on budget builds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Are there any good T5 ship consoles to get?

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

Well, there goes the Hall of Fame...

Eimi posted:

Probably going to end up getting an Andorian ship, It's between that, the Vesta, and the Ranger for any actual value, though I lack a t6 Vesta.
Well, the Ranger was a freebie, for some time, through the Star Trek Online: Reflections - Temporal Agent Starter Pack giveaway/s. I suppose you didn't snag one from then?
EDIT: Ah, right, that was the T6 Paladin, which gains the skin from the T5 Ranger, like with the Arbiter and Avenger.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Taerkar posted:

Are there any good T5 ship consoles to get?

Ignoring consoles that can only be equipped on one or two ships...

The Mogh/Avenger has the VATA console which pairs with the Ablative shields from the Kurak/Arbiter for a boost to all damage and turn rate.
The Defiant/Galaxy Dreadnought comes with a Cloaking Device that a few other ships can use, but you can get the Defiant as one of the few free T5 choices at high level.
The Regent has the Metreon Gas Canister which exists, but it also comes with a Wide-Angle Quantum Torpedo Launcher if you're into that.
The Varanus has the Repair Platform which would be great if healing was a thing in the game.
The D'Kyr has the support craft which is unique, and you get the Shuttle too. Shame there's no Shuttle content.
The Prometheus MVAM can go on any of it's similar ships, the only way tog et them to do the whole split into three thing.
The Ranger has a debuff clickie.

Most of the consoles are limited to the ship, or the same family of ships and generally aren't that great.

Hunter Noventa fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jan 23, 2022

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

lol I can't really use any of these free ships. They look cool though.

Would I be wrong in just going with rule of cool for my ship choices? I do not care about being the best DPS or whatever.

For the storylines, do they get followed up on or finished? I'm in the middle of some romulan shenanigans but I thought the federation was at war with the klingons. That story ended with stopped some doomsday ship which I'm sure I should recognize but can't for the life of me.

Azubah fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jan 23, 2022

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

The Fed v KDF war is mostly gone from the storyline but effectively ended around the Dysn update I believe. But it was mostly a cold war before then.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Azubah posted:

Would I be wrong in just going with rule of cool for my ship choices? I do not care about being the best DPS or whatever.

For the storylines, do they get followed up on or finished? I'm in the middle of some romulan shenanigans but I thought the federation was at war with the klingons. That story ended with stopped some doomsday ship which I'm sure I should recognize but can't for the life of me.

You can hold onto the coupon for the free ship forever as far as I know, so maybe one of the consoles will stand out later on.

There are only a few really bad ships, so mostly you can go with what looks cool though.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Azubah posted:

Rule of cool is 100% respectable with this game. You're not going to be optimal, but you can build pretty much any ship into something that will do end game content.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Yeah it's pretty trivial to get to 100k dps with a decent build even on a ship with two tac consoles or whatever other crippling disadvantage, and honestly anything over 100k is just bragging rights. Want to fly a Galaxy? loving do it. You'll still wipe out everything with gold gear and the right build.

Or hell you can do what I do and ignore meta weapons and just use the Kelvin phasers to match your Kelvin Enterprise because it makes the pewpew spam insane and still, no problems.

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

Well, there goes the Hall of Fame...

Azubah posted:

I'm in the middle of some romulan shenanigans but I thought the federation was at war with the klingons. That story ended with stopped some doomsday ship which I'm sure I should recognize but can't for the life of me.
You'll have to be more specific about WHICH doomsday ship. There are a fair number I can think of, but I don't want to spoil any story stuff for you.

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010
This is a casual theme-park game where all the endgame content is trivial. Play with your favorite toys.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Lorak posted:

You'll have to be more specific about WHICH doomsday ship. There are a fair number I can think of, but I don't want to spoil any story stuff for you.

On the Federation side, the story goes to cease fire and back to cold war after the mission where you end up neutralizing one of those TOS-era worm-looking Doomsday weapons. And the actual peace treaty happens in the Dyson sphere arc. The arcs or seasons do happen in chronological order, but they have been edited, merged, parts deleted, and re-cut to pieces several times. Anyway yes, overall there is a longer story but the game doesn't make a very good job attempting to follow it at times. It does get better and more coherent by the time you hit the Dyson sphere and Delta quadrant, though.

You also get some of the missing episodes after reaching lvl 65 from "Galaxy at wild"-story lines, and bits and pieces if you bother to do certain fleet actions and system patrols, which used to be parts of some of the seasons.

EDIT: I just noticed you mentioned being Romulan captain; If by doomsday ship you mean the one that attacks the tutorial town in Virinat system, that's original design for STO and makes its first appearance there. The enemy has been on TV series before, but that ship hasn't.

Der Kyhe fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jan 23, 2022

fullTimeLurker
Nov 10, 2010

Are the fighter craft on the t5 Atrox Carrier or D'Kyr even worth slotting? Trying to decide which one to unlock and curious if either one has an advantage over the other; because if they both suck, I'll just go for aesthetics.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Also when people talk about DPS in STO, it's important to remember that the big DPS players basically run 2 ~10 year old instances that are generally dirt simple in terms of mechanics, and run them over and over to experiment with builds and mechanics...which is fine but it's very funny when you think about how none of it really relates to "difficult" content, and now content like Remain Klingon qualifies to give people a headache because of how many people just AFK instances.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Lorak posted:

Well, the Ranger was a freebie, for some time, through the Star Trek Online: Reflections - Temporal Agent Starter Pack giveaway/s. I suppose you didn't snag one from then?
EDIT: Ah, right, that was the T6 Paladin, which gains the skin from the T5 Ranger, like with the Arbiter and Avenger.

Paladin code if anybody still doesn't have one. https://games.crucial.com/promotions/1520030115/star-trek-online-reflections-temporal-agent-starter-pack-giveaway

Azubah posted:

Nah, that's cool. I'm probably using my coupon for the Ranger so I can have a TOS T6. The code above will get you the T6. The T1 has sweet blue phasers. You can claim, strip the phasers, dismiss, reclaim, repeat to get a full set. They're level scaling.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

Also when people talk about DPS in STO, it's important to remember that the big DPS players basically run 2 ~10 year old instances that are generally dirt simple in terms of mechanics, and run them over and over to experiment with builds and mechanics...which is fine but it's very funny when you think about how none of it really relates to "difficult" content, and now content like Remain Klingon qualifies to give people a headache because of how many people just AFK instances.

Yeah, the DPS stuff is fun to experiment with just to see what kind of a monster you can make your ship, but at the end of the day the people coming up with that poo poo are basically just making their own fun in the game based purely on what amounts to high score speed runs .

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe
Terran Trailblazer Science Warship [T6] (Intrepid family, Command spec)
Terran Lexington Dreadnought Cruiser [T6] (Odyssey family, MW spec)
Terran Cygnus Battlecruiser [T6] (Galaxy family, Temp Ops spec)
Terran Adamant Heavy Raider [T6] (no idea, Intel spec)

And hints of a terran Miranda. Also terran Odyssey uniforms. I assume this will be the 12th anniversary bundle.

Most of them match up with the terran skins shown in this old blog post, which would probably make the Adamant a Shran-class ship. And as the only missing spec, I'm going to laugh if they make a mirror miranda pilot spec.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

drat refusing to give the Galaxy miracle worker? It always felt weird to me that the Sovereign got miracle worker for Geordi, because he barely loving does poo poo in the films. Should've been on the Galaxy. :argh:

Also lmao at them doing another 4 ship bundle and charging the 10th price for it.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Eimi posted:

drat refusing to give the Galaxy miracle worker? It always felt weird to me that the Sovereign got miracle worker for Geordi, because he barely loving does poo poo in the films. Should've been on the Galaxy. :argh:
How much do you want to bet that the turn rate will still be 6?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

g0del posted:

How much do you want to bet that the turn rate will still be 6?

Oh absolutely. The real fun will be if it still has 3 tac consoles or no. It being a battlecruiser is probably no given the mastery package, but it would be funny at this point.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

fullTimeLurker posted:

Are the fighter craft on the t5 Atrox Carrier or D'Kyr even worth slotting? Trying to decide which one to unlock and curious if either one has an advantage over the other; because if they both suck, I'll just go for aesthetics.

Believe it or not but the best performing easily available generic hangers are actually the peregrines. Or the KDF equivalent.

If money & time is no object then take your generic hanger pick from the aeon timeships, mirror universe shuttlecraft, tactical flyer squadrons or cutpurse fighters. All are tied to first owning one ship or another though. Mine are all elite and I recommend sticking to the basic freebie hangers until you can also afford elite ones, skip advanced entirely. (purchase from the fleet starbase vendor)

Yes certain unique hangers that only one specific ship can use (ie, the kelvin dreadnought and it's drone hanger) perform very well but if you have those ships why use anything else anyway. Let's ignore them for now.

I tried two elite hangers of the T6 atrox frigates when they first came out and they can survive nearly anything due to all the self healing (so getting them to max rank for extended time is normal) but they don't rock your socks with damage output. They're okay I guess. You'll feel kind of unique because I've never seen anyone else ever use them. Ever. Slap them on your regular sized flight deck carriers and wonder what they're being launched from.
(if you really like the look of them then sure, invest, it's your space toy)

Edit - revisiting this post I realise I completely failed to address the obvious. Yes the stalker fighters are garbage and they're best ignored. Unless you like the space barbie of course.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Jan 24, 2022

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

g0del posted:

Terran Trailblazer Science Warship [T6] (Intrepid family, Command spec)
Terran Lexington Dreadnought Cruiser [T6] (Odyssey family, MW spec)
Terran Cygnus Battlecruiser [T6] (Galaxy family, Temp Ops spec)
Terran Adamant Heavy Raider [T6] (no idea, Intel spec)

And hints of a terran Miranda. Also terran Odyssey uniforms. I assume this will be the 12th anniversary bundle.

Most of them match up with the terran skins shown in this old blog post, which would probably make the Adamant a Shran-class ship. And as the only missing spec, I'm going to laugh if they make a mirror miranda pilot spec.

Given the class theme, I'd assume that the Adamant is a Terran Defiant.

Also, the regular t6 Miranda already is pilot spec. :v:

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Lifetime subscription people now get more bank slots? https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11507373

Lol...

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

That's kind of a weird addition this late into things but as a bonafide sucker who has a lifetime account sure, go for it Cryptic. :downs:

Teron D Amun
Oct 9, 2010

Asimo posted:

That's kind of a weird addition this late into things but as a bonafide sucker who has a lifetime account sure, go for it Cryptic. :downs:

its also nice for new people who dont have LTS, they get instant access to the shared bank with 20 slots without having to pay for it first

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

DS9 is much smaller than I envisioned and the prophets are weird assholes as usual. I wish there was an option to tell them to gently caress off and shoot them with a phaser.

Are the Iconians a STO thing? I recall there being a race before everyone else that seeded the galaxy in some supplemental material as a kid but I don't recall if they were given a name, it's why drat near all the races are humaniod.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Azubah posted:

DS9 is much smaller than I envisioned and the prophets are weird assholes as usual. I wish there was an option to tell them to gently caress off and shoot them with a phaser.

Are the Iconians a STO thing? I recall there being a race before everyone else that seeded the galaxy in some supplemental material as a kid but I don't recall if they were given a name, it's why drat near all the races are humaniod.

The Iconians do come up in TNG! the precursor race is known as the Preservers who are even older than the Iconians though.

Teron D Amun
Oct 9, 2010

truly the worst patch is upon us

quote:

- Friendly Elachi who appear after using a Mycelial Rift power will no longer appear in Social Zones.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Teron D Amun posted:

truly the worst patch is upon us

No the "can't move while using party poppers" already happened several years ago.

RIP giant sized starship balloons.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

they posted this on the twitter:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Woo, Galaxy family ships! About drat time!

Now do the wierd lovely ones, you cowards. Give me a Buran and a Freedom.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Jan 25, 2022

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
Looks like we're getting Emperor Janeway:

https://twitter.com/TheKateMulgrew/status/1485737787404001284

Also Heavy Cruiser and Research Science ships are pretty much confirmed for the upcoming 12th Anniversary pack, since they've been remastered per the patch notes: https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11507513-pc-patch-notes-for-1%2F25%2F22

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Wizard of the Deep posted:

Looks like we're getting Emperor Janeway:

https://twitter.com/TheKateMulgrew/status/1485737787404001284

Also Heavy Cruiser and Research Science ships are pretty much confirmed for the upcoming 12th Anniversary pack, since they've been remastered per the patch notes: https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11507513-pc-patch-notes-for-1%2F25%2F22

JFC that model, they gave her a Robert Z'Dar jaw.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

But wouldn't mirror Janeway be a good person given how evil prime Janeway is? :v:

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Mirror Janeway drinks tea.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Mirror Janeway drinks

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

You know what? Mirror Janeway sounds fun. I don't like Voyager or the Mirror Universe, but these might be two bad flavors that taste great together. And if Mulgrew has fun with it? That's great too.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Janeway, Captain Janeway, I'm the best captain in history.
Stranding, all my people. Their lives are filled with grief and misery.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

You know what? Mirror Janeway sounds fun. I don't like Voyager or the Mirror Universe, but these might be two bad flavors that taste great together. And if Mulgrew has fun with it? That's great too.

Honestly I'm kinda down for STO being a way for the actors to get a couple of final paychecks in general.

I'd love to see some epic fifteen episode arc about Commander Harry Kim saving the galaxy from his alternate timeline corpse doppelganger or something. I mean they kinda did that already, but whatever. Mirror corpse bro?

Mirror Harry Kim as the next big bad?

Whatever, just help the dude buy a new car or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
I don't really care about the Mirror Universe itself, but I do like letting otherwise restrained actors go full ham and get their evil cackle on. I think Janeway will be fun, but I was really hoping LeVar Burton would show up because that'd be such a wild swing from his normal calm/patient self and characters.

Also yea, bring back any actors who have a surplus of free time. Let them punch one more ticket on the Star Trek gravy train.