Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Bismack Billabongo posted:

No. Kim took a blurry rear end picture of it and I got praised during the ending for finding it though

the entire thread just took a sharp breath, then shook its head while exhaling slowly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

(if you have the slightest desire to play it again, absolutely follow all the cryptid stuff and pump your shivers and inland empire)

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Also take the pheremones when offered and do not shave or shower afterwards

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Was there a Shivers check for it? I only remember Inland Empire, and it was 97% for me because I had the stat pumped pretty high and I asked for the double dose of pheromones, but I did actually take a bath afterwards (I wanted to shave too but I couldn't pass the test!) I got the full conversation with it and Kim took a perfect photo so I assumed I got the best result from that. Or was it the Shivers check that depends upon the pheromones?

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

sebmojo posted:

(if you have the slightest desire to play it again, absolutely follow all the cryptid stuff and pump your shivers and inland empire)

I will at some point yeah. Once I got to the point where it locked me out of finishing that content I was enjoying the story’s momentum too much to come back.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I don't think I'd turn down the ending where you can recruit Kim to your precinct if offered. It does feel like a pretty good culmination to his arc, one way or another. He's proven he can deal with Harry, which is a skillset in itself, at the very least.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
a really fuckin aristocratic nerd (a mono-clard)

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

sebmojo posted:

the entire thread just took a sharp breath, then shook its head while exhaling slowly

honestly, doing a preventative sixer to never let this happen again should be considered

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Kalko posted:

Was there a Shivers check for it? I only remember Inland Empire, and it was 97% for me because I had the stat pumped pretty high and I asked for the double dose of pheromones, but I did actually take a bath afterwards (I wanted to shave too but I couldn't pass the test!) I got the full conversation with it and Kim took a perfect photo so I assumed I got the best result from that. Or was it the Shivers check that depends upon the pheromones?

okay, do a second playthrough, do whatever else you want (seriously) but follow the cryptid plot AND make sure you take up kim's offer of a nap right before you meet the deserter

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Finished the game today. Lot of general full game thoughts below that I’m sure are no way unique to me.

The game has several things I would consider endings, and I think in that light the "wrap up" at the end works fine to tie everything together with Harry's team and his immediate future.

Things-I-Consider-Endings spoilers:
Ending 1 is the one in the Church. Ending 2 is the conversation with the Phasmid. Ending 3 is the dream. Ending 4 is the one everyone gets with the deserter and then Harry's team.

Idiot Doom Spiral
Jan 2, 2020

Nessus posted:

I have viewed the video, as Hitler cannot penetrate my thirteen years of use of Youtube as an anime jukebox.

Is this Gary? Is Gary doing an LP?

The video and the comments section both seem like they're straight out of the game. Please Hitler, help me end the fed.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Benagain posted:

okay, do a second playthrough, do whatever else you want (seriously) but follow the cryptid plot AND make sure you take up kim's offer of a nap right before you meet the deserter

Are those two things related? I did take a nap, but in the dream sequence nothing really happened. I only had one figurine and she didn't want it, but I think I did fail a test or two. Is there a 'good' resolution from that sequence?

The cryptid encounter was my favourite part of the game. I thought it was a masterful inclusion, because during the earlier quest I was expecting it to show up in one of the traps or maybe somewhere on the coast randomly, but then I forgot all about it as my attention shifted to other tasks. And then right at the moment you're about to get a confession and wrap up the main plot it suddenly appears, and it's this captivating (and giant) presence which makes you forget all about the case and everything else you've done.

That this creature could exist in this world is a wondrous thing, and I particularly liked being given the option to touch it because up until then all of Harry's frequent departures from reality had occurred solely within his head. I also loved how Kim finally got to share in one of his flights of fancy, except that it was real, or perhaps it was made real through the act of photographing it. Seeing that option appear on the list of choices brought a smile to my face because it meant that this experience would last longer than that fleeting moment.

The act of playing the game, of navigating the dialogue trees, that desire to exhaust every option had never felt keener to me than at that point as I wanted to prolong that particular encounter as much as possible. And there was more riding on that Inland Empire test than any other in the entire game, so it was a very happy coincidence that I'd put so many points into it along the way.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

Kalko posted:

The act of playing the game, of navigating the dialogue trees, that desire to exhaust every option had never felt keener to me than at that point as I wanted to prolong that particular encounter as much as possible. And there was more riding on that Inland Empire test than any other in the entire game, so it was a very happy coincidence that I'd put so many points into it along the way.

It is an incredible moment in the game, and while I love that you were still enveloped by its tone, you actually missed the bulk of it. If you don't want to replay the game just to have it go differently, you can edit your save file like so (and honestly, it's worth it and I don't think there's any shame in doing it this way):

Stolen from a 2-year-old Reddit post posted:

In the game, open the Load menu and write down the name of the save right before you approach the phasmid. Close the game.

Go to C:\Users\<your username>\AppData\LocalLow\ZAUM Studio\Disco Elysium\SaveGames and find the <SAVE NAME>.ntwtf.zip file. Back it up, just in case.

Unzip the save archive. There will be five files inside.

Open <SAVE NAME>.states.lua that you just unzipped in a text editor. At the very end of the file, add a new line:
Variable["coast.morell_pheromone_spray_thick"]=true;
Save the lua file.

Zip up the five files again, including the one that you just edited. Make sure that they are at the top level of the archive, not inside a folder.

Replace the original <SAVE NAME>.ntwtf.zip with the edited one. Open game, load the save.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

I did actually already have the double dose of pheromones and it did show up in the test as a bonus (I also did have a bath after getting sprayed). I had the full conversation with it - was there more than that?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Kalko posted:

I did actually already have the double dose of pheromones and it did show up in the test as a bonus (I also did have a bath after getting sprayed). I had the full conversation with it - was there more than that?

No, there's no more to it. I think people are getting you mixed up with this poster:

No. Kim took a blurry rear end picture of it and I got praised during the ending for finding it though

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

https://mobile.twitter.com/studioZAUM/status/1472946598896443407

They retweeted this btw

frajaq fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Jan 26, 2022

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
drat , just finished my first replay of it since it came out. what an amazing loving game. probably the best written game of all time, and kind've makes all the other so called "well written games" look bad by comparison.

normally, I hate va in games and just skip through because it's way slower than my reading speed, but they did an excellent job with all the new vas. they all fit perfectly. I was shocked, but I thought the narrator guy did very well. my 2 favorites were evrert and jean at the end. I seriously could not stop laughing during their parts, as they perfectly encapsulate evrert going along with whatever you say and jean just constantly saying the truth about you that everyone else is too awkward to say.

man, what an experience, can't wait for their followup, whatever it ends up being.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Problem

So you were minding your own business -- trying to get some detective work done -- when suddenly a voice emerged from within you and told you you're a wuss, a namby-pamby, a sissy and a limp jellyfish. This voice has *zero* gender-sensitivity and even less empathy for underwhelming athletic performance. Try to purposefully piss it off, see if it teaches you something. Pretend you don't know the difference between a double and a single support phase in the discipline of hammer throw. It hates that.

Solution:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

EorayMel posted:

Problem

So you were minding your own business -- trying to get some detective work done -- when suddenly a voice emerged from within you and told you you're a wuss, a namby-pamby, a sissy and a limp jellyfish. This voice has *zero* gender-sensitivity and even less empathy for underwhelming athletic performance. Try to purposefully piss it off, see if it teaches you something. Pretend you don't know the difference between a double and a single support phase in the discipline of hammer throw. It hates that.

Solution:

Instruments follow ups to this if you pass the check are hysterical.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TikZZ9VKV6k

Killed a Girl in 96
Jun 15, 2001

DON'T STOP CAN'T STOP
One of the problems with this game is I don't know how much I missed. I've done two playthroughs, once normal, once max stats, and I'm gonna do a fail-cop run now. But gently caress there's so many variables and so much text and I'm sure there are things I'll never get to see unless someone mentions it on here.

I want it all.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Idiot Doom Spiral posted:

The video and the comments section both seem like they're straight out of the game. Please Hitler, help me end the fed.
It is one thing to be a pedant about the fine details of fascism because you are a political science egghead or want to not get to the point where everything you dislike is fascism, and it is quite another to say that this wasn't fascism, but it would be cool if it was, because fascism rocks, bröther.

I think there was a guy denouncing Estonia in the comments but I think I had a protective micro-coma.

Killed a Girl in 96 posted:

One of the problems with this game is I don't know how much I missed. I've done two playthroughs, once normal, once max stats, and I'm gonna do a fail-cop run now. But gently caress there's so many variables and so much text and I'm sure there are things I'll never get to see unless someone mentions it on here.

I want it all.
It is an experience. Let it mellow, like fine wine in the pale, until you forget most of what happened. Then do another playthrough following some other muse, and walk through beauty again.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Killed a Girl in 96 posted:

I want it all.

I knew it would be different but I was surprised by how staggeringly different it was the second time. for example, I didn't learn anything about the pale the first time. the second time, boy howdy.

midnight lasagna
Oct 15, 2016

this pit is full of stat boosters

a youtube commenter posted:

Rhetoric [Trivial: Failure] GAY CARD? WHERE?!?
Volition [Easy: Success] Calm down, just a joke. Keep your head cool. Their inane attempts at humor don't work on you.
Encyclopedia [Medium: Failure] Y'know, I thiiiink there was a school of thought about keeping cool. Just tell them that you're a stoike. They'll get it. Yeah.
Composure [Legendary: Failure] God loving damnit. You can't even say WORDS right. Oh don't cry for God's sake...

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Electrochemistry [Trivial: Success] What are you doing? You have drugs to find.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

4chan is a mountain of poo poo but occasionally, once in a while, you find a gold nugget like this

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
So I ended up restarting the game when I had no way to reset Hardy boys' rhetoric check. I met Cindy the Skull for the first time and used the "tell me your blood type" response. Immediately Kim gets mad and says "we are NOT assaulting a minor" or something. wtf? Is Cindy supposed to be a minor? also I thought it was a response to her offering to tell me her blood type or the last time she got checked for herpes or something. is this supposed to be taken as flirting or something?

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Couldn’t help myself and restarted as a 2-2-4-4 cop who has revealed to Kim that he can’t remember anything but is making a point of not telling anybody else about his amnesia. I don’t know how this is going to go over.

Also, esoteric question: Is there any problem in practice with taking the body down and just leaving it there? How much game can I complete without doing that?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
You don’t even have to interact with the body at all

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

christmas boots posted:

This is useful knowledge for a later run. I already shot it down but stopped after that because I thought it would be funny to see how long I could go without removing it from the yard. I guess the bullet removal check will be harder this way but exciting to know it won’t gently caress up my progress.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
I always thought that not interacting with the body at all was just sort of funny more than anything, but I didn’t think about how it might affect the tribunal, or does it affect the dialogue at all here? I imagine that seeing the body of their brother/friend might change the dialogue pretty significantly.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

christmas boots posted:

There's an achievement for solving the case like this, too. I do wonder what Kim says at the debrief if you choose this path.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Kalko posted:

There's an achievement for solving the case like this, too. I do wonder what Kim says at the debrief if you choose this path.

IIRC to get the achievement you're actually the one who brings it up. I might have it slightly off, but I think your former partner remarks on how you smell like a corpse and you have to pick the option that this doesn't make any sense because you didn't even touch the body.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

On the other hand, the sequence where you interact with the corpse is incredible and maybe the first time where harry doesn't feel like a complete gently caress up.you do it properly and it's maybe the first time Kim respects you and hell

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Finding the bullet early when you do the autopsy is legit one of the coolest detective things you can do.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

UnknownMercenary posted:

Finding the bullet early when you do the autopsy is legit one of the coolest detective things you can do.

Yeah I don't save scum very often, but I absolutely have to shoot down the body and find the bullet, in front of Cuno.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
these are two of the things I didn't realize were possible until a playthrough. I didn't even realize it was possible to do the first thing until I read it in this thread

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

Kalko posted:

Wafflecopper posted:

No, there's no more to it. I think people are getting you mixed up with this poster:

I totally did and I am sorry.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Authority (Formidible: success) Apologies are a show of weakness. Give no ground, demand an apology from them. Yeah, that'll show them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Mr. evrart is helping me find my gun.