Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
https://twitter.com/28_3/status/1485632386670809088?s=20

Artist of Blue Period tested positive for covid, won't be in the next month's issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Akanesasu off to a strong start

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

cheetah7071 posted:

Akanesasu off to a strong start

That was my favorite show of that season.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

https://twitter.com/hassanimeshii/status/1485661709868355584

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Any old Japanese film buffs here? I'm trying to learn the name of a samurai movie I saw two decades ago, black in white, possibly from the 40's or 50's and it was neither Yojimbo, Seven Samurai, or The 47 Ronin which I have recently watched trying to figure out if any of those was the one.

The only memory that I have is that in the very last few minutes, after the whole plot had basically ended, the protagonist is asked for a duel from another samurai. They are both very close to each other and, as they drew their swords in a slashing motion, our protagonist is faster and manages to slice the other guy's midsection in one move. This duel happens in like two seconds and impressionable me was so into it that I still remember this scene (and only this scene) very clearly. Our protagonist had some facial hair and a darker robe, IIRC.

Help me unfold what movie this was so I can go rewatch it and be disappointed in how lame the whole affair likely was.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
That sounds like the end of Sanjuro.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Sounds like Sanjuro

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I should watch Sanjuro again, think I've only seen it once, vs Yojimbo a million times.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Yes! It's Sanjuro! Just looked it up on the Internet Archive and skipped right to the end and it's exactly how I remembered it. That long minute stare before drawing their swords, *chef kiss*

Going to watch the whole thing later. Thanks, friends!

marumaru
May 20, 2013

sanjuro rocks
i tried watching no regrets for our youth but was really bored by it :(

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Is that scene from Sanjuro the one where there's just a loving geyser of blood?

Man, I should get back into Kurosawa

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Arist posted:

Is that scene from Sanjuro the one where there's just a loving geyser of blood?

Man, I should get back into Kurosawa

Clearly the victim suffered from high blood pressure :pseudo:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkkF6Zz67TE

I was right

marumaru
May 20, 2013

such an awesome scene. the tension is nuts.
i also love that the staple of extreme blood fountains comes from that scene and it was an accident

marumaru
May 20, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9mXi1r46AE

just got randomly recommended by youtube, how come japan has so many gorgeous ads? dang!

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
I wish gay pairings were more popular in Western fandoms like they are in Japan. Like I can find a ton of gay Western art for shows like Owl House and She-Ra, but Western fans don't seem to care about gay anime ships unless they're explicitly stated as being gay

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

you are definitely not looking hard enough, or in the right places

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost
did you just find out about anime today

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
Omph

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Willo567 posted:

I wish gay pairings were more popular in Western fandoms like they are in Japan. Like I can find a ton of gay Western art for shows like Owl House and She-Ra, but Western fans don't seem to care about gay anime ships unless they're explicitly stated as being gay
this literally isnt remotely true have you seen how much gay fanart of genshin impact white people have made

if youre looking for western fanart of zombieland saga i dont think that series ever really got a shippy fanbase in the west but look at western love live or bang dream fans

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

youre 100% basing this on looking for western fanart of zombieland arent you.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Endorph posted:

I'm not into Genshin Impact, but i also just notice a lack of Rikka/Akane art as well in the Western Gridman fandom.

And so what if I really like ZLS and annoyed there's not more gay artwork of the girls together? I know that Love Live and BanG exist, but I never really got into the former because I watched the first episode and didn't really get into it like others did

Willo567 fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jan 25, 2022

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Endorph posted:

I ship Tallahassee and Columbus all the time. Not Wichita and Little Rock, though, they're sisters so that's weird.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the only issue is if you mean specific series you should just say as much rather than speak vaguely and generally, when generally speaking there is definitely not a shortage of gay shipping in western fandom

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Spock / Kirk

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Willo567 posted:

I'm not into Genshin Impact, but i also just notice a lack of Rikka/Akane art as well in the Western Gridman fandom.

And so what if I really like ZLS and annoyed there's not more gay artwork of the girls together? I know that Love Live and BanG exist, but I never really got into the former because I watched the first episode and didn't really get into it like others did
different series will get different responses in certain regions. the western gridman fanbase is largely trigger bros and the western zombieland fanbase is largely people who found funny clips on youtube, neither of whom are demos prone to making shipping fanart. and in general zls doesnt have a ton of that kind of fanbase even in japan, a pixiv search only gets you about 500 works tagged zombieland saga + yuri, and there's not that many doujins of it if you check second hand doujin sites.

for most of its first season it tends to put comedy above moments between the characters, and there's several instances throughout the show of it undercutting some of the character drama stuff with jokes. and most of the momentum in the first season is driven by wacky screaming man. compared to something like love live or bang dream which plays the character stuff completely straight and barely has characters that exist outside of the relationship web of the protagonists, it's easy to see why those'd attract more fanart.

Lurking Haro posted:

Spock / Kirk
kirk / spock imo.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Endorph posted:

different series will get different responses in certain regions. the western gridman fanbase is largely trigger bros and the western zombieland fanbase is largely people who found funny clips on youtube, neither of whom are demos prone to making shipping fanart. and in general zls doesnt have a ton of that kind of fanbase even in japan, a pixiv search only gets you about 500 works tagged zombieland saga + yuri, and there's not that many doujins of it if you check second hand doujin sites.

for most of its first season it tends to put comedy above moments between the characters, and there's several instances throughout the show of it undercutting some of the character drama stuff with jokes. and most of the momentum in the first season is driven by wacky screaming man. compared to something like love live or bang dream which plays the character stuff completely straight and barely has characters that exist outside of the relationship web of the protagonists, it's easy to see why those'd attract more fanart.

The second season had that really gay arc between Ai and Junko though. Not only that, but from what I've seen on Twitter, a lot of Japanese fans really like to pair them romantically, with their couple name (JunAi Combo) getting acknowledged by the director, staff and cast There's even fanart of the two from the Akuma no Riddle artist, and this was before Revenge aired

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

yeah but you have to actually bother watching s2 to care about that

in a season/year that was pretty stacked and s1 being like, okay

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

making sweeping cultural statements based on one specific thing is extremely ftw

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

One popular ship cant really support a broad fanbase tho, like love live and bandori have various combinations of a dozen+ characters not just two girls

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

i like Poppin party iirc

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Namtab posted:

i like Poppin party iirc

Taes a really fun character

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I did not rc. i will correct the record and say that I like hello happy world

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Misakis a really fun character

Im really into project sekai these days. The miku game. Its got a bunch of really good characters and i like it having a few guys in the cast just because it makes the whole feel a bit less, idk, idol purity culture

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

one day they will free michelle

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
ZLS is cool

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I thought I remember Sakura/Saki being a decently popular ship at the time of ZLS but I don't think Revenge really had as much steam behind it

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Captain Baal posted:

I thought I remember Sakura/Saki being a decently popular ship at the time of ZLS but I don't think Revenge really had as much steam behind it
They got a focus ep in revenge but it hit the 'im straight btw'pretty hard

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
shipping ftw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Endorph posted:

They got a focus ep in revenge but it hit the 'im straight btw'pretty hard

Can we at least agree that Ai and Junko are gay for each other