Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

They're so lovely!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
My chickens are currently chafing under the UK lockdown due to bird flu. Yesterday I dealt with 3 escapes through impossibly small gaps in the temporary run extension.
At one point I placed them inside, walked into the house, and saw they'd already follows me to the door.

Chicken tax:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Wrong tags, I'm a repost it

https://i.imgur.com/yhWmqv2.mp4

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa :3:

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

i love how focused yet content dusting birds are

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here

That's what I get for trying to post on mobile. Thanks!

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Baby chook update!

We had the whole group out in the coop for a little bit, but then when it dropped way down in temp and Mama was leaving the chicks out in the 10F temps, we decided to bring them all back inside for a bit. Don't worry, I took the trash you see out shortly after the picture.

They all also have names now!
Top is QT
Left is Ruffle
Right next to Ruffle is Fluffle
Mama in the middle, of course
Jason is on the upper right
and tiny little Freckle is the last one

Ruffle and Fluffle seem like they're going to be roos, and maybe Jason. That's bad news for them because we can't keep any roos here in town.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

^^^ Fluffle & Jason look to have opinions already ^^^

City of Glompton posted:

We have blue plastic tubs half full of soil & sand that our hens have a good dust bath in when the ground is too hard / wet / etc.

Here we see Bella lounging after a good half hour in the bath.

spookygonk fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jan 25, 2022

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

Explosionface posted:

Baby chook update!

Cute chicks! :3:

My pullet still acts broody around the yard all day but hasn’t stayed on a nest at all. Here she is ticking at that annoying Penedesenca cockerel.
https://youtube.com/shorts/y8_dXLVEuwM?feature=share
He has to be the horniest cockerel we’ve ever had, well, maybe second to the half Leghorn cockerel we had last summer. That little guy was trying to mount full grown hens at 9 weeks old.

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

City of Glompton posted:

same :3: avid blobs

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

“What.”

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

aww she looks like a little fur-clad victorian lady :love:

i finally have another chicken laying. Clarice (the other frizzle) laid her first egg today. hoping the others start soon too, looking forward to several tiny eggs a day

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/679136091348926494/935302898894647356/birb.mp4

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

adorable :kimchi:

one of the local peacocks wants to join my flock i think.

he spent quite awhile wandering along the fence trying to find a place to hop over. the chickens were alarmed at first but after awhile they didn't care that he lurked nearby and looked longingly at them

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

City of Glompton posted:

aww she looks like a little fur-clad victorian lady :love:

i finally have another chicken laying. Clarice (the other frizzle) laid her first egg today. hoping the others start soon too, looking forward to several tiny eggs a day

We have a new layer too! One of the Lakeshore Eggers that I got at the end of September. She’s the first of that group to lay.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

So for right now, the temporary housing for chooks is a dishwasher box in the garage. Pretty early on, Mama figured out she could hop to the top of it and hang out without chicks all over her. Apparently Ruffle has figured out he's big enough to join in. He's even brave enough to fly across the garage at me while I'm troubleshooting the water heater. Mama did not appreciate that turn of events, but was happy when I returned him.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Look at those little floofs!

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

https://youtu.be/2AdrmfjAhn0

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

Joburg posted:

We have a new layer too! One of the Lakeshore Eggers that I got at the end of September. She’s the first of that group to lay.

what a beautiful egg!

Explosionface posted:

So for right now, the temporary housing for chooks is a dishwasher box in the garage. Pretty early on, Mama figured out she could hop to the top of it and hang out without chicks all over her. Apparently Ruffle has figured out he's big enough to join in. He's even brave enough to fly across the garage at me while I'm troubleshooting the water heater. Mama did not appreciate that turn of events, but was happy when I returned him.

Ruffle sounds like a good chicken.

lol

peacock would really like to be a chicken, chickens are not so sure about him though

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

I think that's a peahen

She wants to be Flock :allears:

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

ah, i was thinking she was one of the younger he's we've seen around here. there were three peacocks, one normal full color and two that were kind of patchy, and one peahen last summer roaming around the neighborhood. in any case, yes, she definitely wants to be part of the flock. i feel bad because it is super cold here the next couple days (low of 17f tonight) so i hope she has a good roost somewhere.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

City of Glompton posted:

Ruffle sounds like a good chicken.

Fluffle joined in last night, too. At this rate, only little Freckle will be left grounded after our next bit of bad weather next week.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

They're as shameless in their begging as the dogs, and at least the dogs don't peck at any bare toes to find out if they're food!

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

Chickens will never stop pecking toes. They do not care if toes aren't food, they could become food if you don't have something better to offer...

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

weird to think that chickens see us as humanoid shaped beings with wormy little phalanges

BHB
Aug 28, 2011
"phalanges? can we eat those?"

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

(and can't post for 11 days!)

Enfys posted:

Chickens will never stop pecking toes. They do not care if toes aren't food, they could become food if you don't have something better to offer...
my favourite stage of baby quail development is when all the chicks peck each other's toes, the peckee shrieks indignantly and runs away
look at these gorgeous things! chickens are so ridiculous, we don't deserve them

BHB
Aug 28, 2011

BHB posted:

"phalanges? can we eat those?"

just looking back, and this was only october:

they're so big!

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

BHB posted:

just looking back, and this was only october:

they're so big!
oh my goodness how beautiful :3:

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

There's something about chickens with no comb or wattle, they look so silly.

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

currawong and blue wren (out of the three day-old chicks i bought) have been lost to the wilderness. currawong, who i believe was crowing at four days old, flew out of the yard into a patch of ivy in the middle of a blackberry bramble. blue wren, who was always completely wild, flew out of the yard toward the river and though i searched all my neighbours' yards, i never found her.

everybody else is doing great!

those two were never tame, at all, but their sister mini-moose (previously kiwi), who is still with us, is much less afraid of me and more tolerant of being handled. i was trying to figure out why this was; then i remembered that when i first got them, currawong and blue wren never got much handling because they hated it from the get-go, but mini-moose did fall asleep in my hands out of sheer exhaustion when i first got them home and got a bit of cradling. so i think that's the secret to turning a scared day-old into a bird that's willing to be tamed.

sable and quoll, on the other hand, had never been handled at all before i got them as adults and lived under threat of hostile duck attacks, but they are totally hand-tame and calm with people. once i get to my new house i'll do some hatching (one egg from each hen) to see what the personality of the chicks is like. now that i've figured out that good pet quail (i.e., like to interact and be handled) and good outdoor quail (high level of survival skills and startle reflex) are mutually exclusive, i'm narrowing in on the good pet quail as a line

mahershalalhashbaz fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jan 31, 2022

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
I like a tame-ish bird, but not enough to really put in the effort to tame them. When we moved all the teens to the big coop, Ms. Penedesenca screamed and panicked every single time. Mr. Penedesenca was not much better. All the others were upset but handled it better.

Speaking of Mr. Penedesenca, he has injured his leg or foot. He couldn’t walk this morning so I was able to catch him and take him in the house. I can’t see any bone or joint weirdness but his injured leg was warmer than the other leg. I gave him some aspirin and he’s been in a dog kennel for the day. :(

If he recovers he will either be more tame or way way less tame for having gone through this. Poor dude.

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

Joburg posted:

Speaking of Mr. Penedesenca, he has injured his leg or foot. He couldn’t walk this morning so I was able to catch him and take him in the house. I can’t see any bone or joint weirdness but his injured leg was warmer than the other leg. I gave him some aspirin and he’s been in a dog kennel for the day. :(

If he recovers he will either be more tame or way way less tame for having gone through this. Poor dude.
oh no :( i hope he recovers and develops more respect for you as a benevolent overlord

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
He is not improving at all, still can’t stand, can’t control his foot. I’m going to have to end his suffering. Not my favorite part of farming. :(

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

City of Glompton fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Oct 9, 2022

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
TMI about Mr. Penedesenca
Turns out he had torn the tendon from the hock joint so he never would have been able to walk again. Also he had the largest testicles I have seen on a cockerel, seriously huge.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

How do you suppose he managed that? Poor guy!

I'm sorry for the loss of Mr. Penedesenca.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
Thank you.

He was on the floor right in front of the roosts (which are one level 18” high) so maybe he jumped off and landed weirdly? He and the Penedesenca pullet are really flighty so he could have panicked about something in the dark and jumped. It’s just so strange.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Roost in Peace, Mr. Penedesenca. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

Joburg posted:

TMI about Mr. Penedesenca
Turns out he had torn the tendon from the hock joint so he never would have been able to walk again. Also he had the largest testicles I have seen on a cockerel, seriously huge.
:smith: that poor darling. you did the right thing. being unable to walk would be the most awful and frightening thing for a prey animal, he would have been really suffering. he was a good and powerful man, and he's gone to a better place :h: