Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Elvis_Maximus posted:

They're both definitely going to be treated yeah, otherwise there almost certainly going to end up passing it back and forth again. Both will be undergoing the treatment at the same time

I just can't figure out how it keeps happening. I gotta imagine it came from the new cat

Who is applying the dewormer? Assuming you've been getting the topical stuff, is it being applied directly to the skin?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

VelociBacon posted:

Who is applying the dewormer?

For a second I thought you were implying the cats were getting them from their owners :v:

Unrelated, but big feels nontheless:

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Takes No Damage posted:

Unrelated, but big feels nontheless:

But if you dare to move even an inch to make it more comfortable for both of us then gently caress you I’m gone

-Cat

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

drunken officeparty posted:

But if you dare to move even an inch to make it more comfortable for both of us then gently caress you I’m gone

-Cat

100% this. Just about every night when I first lay down my tortie will hop in to bed with me and camp out on my chest while I try to read the forums on my tablet. She'll stay there even when I put everything away and turn the lights out but if I ever want to turn on my side she nopes out of there for at least a few hours :confused:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

drunken officeparty posted:

-Cat

lmao yep. Mel always tries curling up against my leg when I get in bed but 99 time out of 100 I roll over at some point before falling asleep and she jumps up and is gone until well after I'm asleep.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I have the opposite problem, every time I shift the cat claims more of the bed.

Jayne Doe
Jan 16, 2010
My cat only wants to sleep where my feet should go and latches on with her claws if I extend my legs too close during Sleep Time. So I end up sleeping diagonally or in a tiny fetal ball. Before I actually start nodding off, i.e. while I'm just reading bullshit on the internet as a totally healthy wind-down activity, she insists on curling up against my side with her head and one paw stretched across my chest and will sit there and stare at me silently until I properly configure for her to lay down. She also has an entire routine for settling down that involves walking across my chest a couple times, turning in a circle while she's standing on my goddamn sternum, sitting down, getting up and doing some laps around my feet, etc, that's essentially identical every night. If I interrupt her, she demands to start over.

What I'm saying is it's her bed and I'm being bossed around by a cat.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Crossposting from PYF headlines thread.

3 Vancouver Island cats hold owners' blender hostage — for a month
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/langford-cats-vitamix-battle-1.6311910

There are pictures.

They acquired decoy boxes, the cats were not fooled.

Cats.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Jayne Doe posted:

turning in a circle while she's standing on my goddamn sternum

What I'm saying is it's her bed and I'm being bossed around by a cat.

OOF Size: Medium. I'm a dude and my torty is only about 12 lbs, but if she takes one paw and puts all of her weight directly down onto one of my nipples it still hurts like hell :blush: Guess where her favorite place to stand is while she figures out how she's going to lay down THIS time...

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.
I often get boxed in by the cats in bed and have to perform cirque de soleil-esque tricks to change sleep-positions. Of course they know I'll do this and therefore choose to sleep on and around me instead of my partner. Lately Katya has crawled under the blankets in the early morning and started poking me until she gets to be the small spoon, while Kimchi waits until we sleep in on the weekends and likes to tuck herself in and steal my pillow.

Here's her derpy little 'just woke up' face.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

InvisibleMonkey posted:

Here's her derpy little 'just woke up' face.

I am hearing the disapproving noise she is about to make for you insolently waking her.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
Chino gets behind our knees and stays there even as we roll over and around, gets covered in blankets by mistake, etc. He is the epitome of no fucks given. Faffas takes the spot where my feet should be and refuses to move, and Princess is always within 6 inches of my wife's face. Sometimes Perdy will join us, but Bootsy and Fartie will only be on the bed if Im not there.

Im usually up before my wife, so as soon as I'm up, prinny will occupy my spot within seconds, like she's waiting :kimchi:

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

I don't think I've ever slept through a full night without getting up to kick one or more of the cats out of the bedroom, unless I evicted them all pre-bedtime. One rear end in a top hat typically wants attention at 2AM because he's bored, and once I do that the other cats get antsy and so have to be removed piecemeal through the night.

If I take an afternoon nap though they're angels sleeping on or near me though. Cats.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

kw0134 posted:

I don't think I've ever slept through a full night without getting up to kick one or more of the cats out of the bedroom, unless I evicted them all pre-bedtime. One rear end in a top hat typically wants attention at 2AM because he's bored, and once I do that the other cats get antsy and so have to be removed piecemeal through the night.

If I take an afternoon nap though they're angels sleeping on or near me though. Cats.

Glad it's not just me. It's usually 5-6AM for me though. My cats will find the only plastic bag in the room and start tapdancing on it until I get up and toss them out. Fortunately they sit quietly outside the door and don't scratch or cry, that is at least until they hear us shuffling around again when we wake up. Then the meowing starts.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

I absolutely do not understand how anyone tolerates interrupted sleep every single night indefinitely. As much as I love the fuzzy little critters, they do not get to decide if I sleep through the night or not.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
How old are these cats?

Mine basically drove me to me witt's end making noise and wanting to play at night. Then I assume her second birthday happened. That day I slept soundly all night and woke up refreshed, and started to panic that she had died in the middle of the night.

I of course started pestering her, and she looked at me like "wtf is your problem." Other than the occasional 2am hairball, she's been a perfect angel at night for almost 14 years now.

Jayne Doe
Jan 16, 2010

Takes No Damage posted:

OOF Size: Medium. I'm a dude and my torty is only about 12 lbs, but if she takes one paw and puts all of her weight directly down onto one of my nipples it still hurts like hell :blush:
Yeah, it's honestly amazing how much pressure such a tiny creature can manage to apply.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Jayne Doe posted:

Yeah, it's honestly amazing how much pressure such a tiny creature can manage to apply.

Yeah, like, we know she can walk on us nicely. She just chooses to apply the pain in search of results.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

D34THROW posted:

Chino gets behind our knees and stays there even as we roll over and around, gets covered in blankets by mistake, etc. He is the epitome of no fucks given. Faffas takes the spot where my feet should be and refuses to move, and Princess is always within 6 inches of my wife's face. Sometimes Perdy will join us, but Bootsy and Fartie will only be on the bed if Im not there.

Im usually up before my wife, so as soon as I'm up, prinny will occupy my spot within seconds, like she's waiting :kimchi:

I tried to keep count but how many cats do you have

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

VelociBacon posted:

Who is applying the dewormer? Assuming you've been getting the topical stuff, is it being applied directly to the skin?

My wife's been applying it the previous times (she's honestly the only one the cats respect enough to let her do medicine for them). And yeah, it's the topical on the skin stuff

The vet seems to think that it's possible that he just never actually had gotten rid of the worms in the first place. Really hoping this time is the one that works

Also on cat sleeping: yeah, one of my cats would always move the INSTANT you moved at all and just leave the room till morning. The other cats just progressively take more and more space. I dunno how a little 10-13 lb creature can physically take up half a bed, but they sure can

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

BabyFur Denny posted:

I tried to keep count but how many cats do you have

Six :v: Possibly seven at some point in the future depending on how it goes with someone who foisted their five on my 2 oldest kids' biodad - treating him as basically a shelter while his dad and this someone gently caress off to who knows the gently caress where. We want the one, we just don't want both of them.

Catnip time is really fun. Two of them give no fucks about catnip, but the three that do occupy about eight square feet of floor for half an hour while they roll around and sniff and lick like idiots. The big sprinkle thing of SmartyKat organic catnip was well worth the price for this show.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Organza Quiz posted:

I absolutely do not understand how anyone tolerates interrupted sleep every single night indefinitely. As much as I love the fuzzy little critters, they do not get to decide if I sleep through the night or not.
I usually evict them, but the last few nights have been so cold that I leave the door open for better circulation. I get up, kick them out, and pass out again in like under two minutes, so I don't feel it in the morning. I do usually let my female cat stay with me since she's well behaved when the other cats aren't around and doesn't bother me until the alarm goes off. She's my secondary alarm that I can't hit the snooze button on :3:

Iron Crowned posted:

How old are these cats?

Mine basically drove me to me witt's end making noise and wanting to play at night. Then I assume her second birthday happened. That day I slept soundly all night and woke up refreshed, and started to panic that she had died in the middle of the night.

I of course started pestering her, and she looked at me like "wtf is your problem." Other than the occasional 2am hairball, she's been a perfect angel at night for almost 14 years now.
These assholes are nearly five years old now so if they outgrow this they'll be like...12 :argh:

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.

Organza Quiz posted:

Mine sleep through the night, occasionally moving to a new spot on the bed if we move around. v:shobon:v
Katya will sometimes wake me while trying to crawl under the covers but I'm so used to it that I just lift up the edge of my blanket, roll over, and go back to sleep. We do absolutely have to get up early on the weekends to give them their breakfast at the Expected Time or there will be hell to pay, but they join us in sleeping in after so it's cool.

Rust Martialis posted:

I am hearing the disapproving noise she is about to make for you insolently waking her.

If it helps, it sounds like concerned Marge Simpson.

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

Yay another excuse to post this very cute picture of Sinjin sleeping between my legs:

I’m a super deep sleeper but maybe 30-40 min after I go to bed Sinjin curls up between or behind my legs and stays there unless I roll over, and then typically just lies back down to the new leg crevice.

He gets up to my alarm and pesters me to follow suit; it’s very very cute.

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.
hehe, what a cute goblin.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Hey all, have a question as I'm coming up blank with a good option. I have a cat and she's great, 1 and a half years old and is a huge wuss to the point where she runs away from random poo poo but is otherwise very loving. She's an indoor only cat, mostly because my oldest daughter has nightmares of her going outside and never coming back, which happened to a kitty her mom adopted who got out within the first two weeks of getting her. They never saw the kitty again. :(

Next week we'll be adopting a foster puppy and I'm trying to figure out how best to give our cat access to a litter box the puppy can't get into. While potty training the puppy I'll be gating off our kitchen and laying down piddle pads where necessary, but right now the litter box is on the ground. Our primary bathroom is way too small to put the litter box in, and the half bathroom connected to my bedroom both doesn't have a fan in it and is a bit too small as well though I just don't want to have a litter box near my room that wafts fresh cat poo poo odors my way while I sleep.

Anybody have any suggestions? I'm thinking there's probably a way to elevate the litter box off the ground that only the cat can get to and am curious if anybody has any suggestions they can link me to. Definitely open to other options too.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Baby gate the area the litterbox is in, or put it in that half bath and get a better litterbox that masks odors and clean it twice a day if necessary to reduce smells.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Baby gate the area the litterbox is in, or put it in that half bath and get a better litterbox that masks odors and clean it twice a day if necessary to reduce smells.

Guess I can do that though babygating it means that smell would still permeate my room since the bathroom doesn't have a fan. Any suggestions on a cat box that does well to conceal odors? Right now I have a box that automatically scoops out waste but does tend to smell pretty quickly. Also I'm thinking as an alternative I can saw a pet door into my bathroom door so the cat can go in and out and instead gate my room.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Yeah a pet door is a good idea. My litter box setup is in a coat closet with a pet door.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Y'all, I need some serious input on my cats. They are male and were fixed very early on, about 1.5+ years old now, rescued from the literal streets. Long story short, they have sort of lost their bond. They don't particularly mind each other, but they don't really play, groom, or cuddle much anymore. Most mornings I'll wake up to growling as they fight over the multiple beds I have for them. I have a huge cat tree, and also built a wall tree for them. They don't really use either much. I have a very very small place at 450 square feet. One of them is spraying (which I can pretty much guarantee, since I've caught him in the act many times). Usually the result of a stressor, friends over, not letting him out, etc. They are indoor/outdoor, and please spare me the "keep your cats indoor!!" spiel. I live in a raunchy old 450 square foot bungalow with no screens, it would be literally impossible. He seems much more a lone wolf, while the other is aloof and just sort of content with whatever. I'm almost sure it's a territorial/behavioral thing. Along with my dog, it's a constant battle for attention/stimulation. I know their needs are not being fully met. As a bachelor with three pets and a lot going on, I'm simply stretched too thin. The spraying has gotten a tiny bit better, but I can just tell the lone wolf cat is simply not really happy overall & discontent with me. He'll still cuddle up with me in the early AM, boop me for petting/plays here and there, but otherwise he's sort of all over, and very reactive to stimulus. I live in an urban area with lots of barking dogs etc, though I haven't really seen any cats roll through my immediate area. I've been trying to make this work, and I'm still not sure. I had the idea to re-home the lone wolf--as I feel he may prefer a one-pet home with all the attention and space. I could of course surrender them to a rescue as a bonded-pair, but at this point, not even sure i'd call them that anymore.

They are both eating/drinking and using the litter box fine. As it stands, I simply do not have the space for another litter box. I have a lot going on, and am in intensive treatment at the VA for PTSD, and this is all weighing heavily on me. I know my energy is reflected onto them. I am just really unsure if I should just surrender both to a rescue. I feel like if I did, I would turn around immediately and get them back. Though, I think the lone wolf cat may just need his own territory/space/owner. They both get along fine with my dog, but they don't really play, and only the other one will really snuggle up close to my dog.

For posterity, I never planned to get two cats. My ex and i found the mama cat and her litter roaming the streets with the kittens, so we took them in. Got them fixed, and re-homed them all, the rest are happy living their best life. We wanted to keep the mama, but she was beating up my ex's dog, so we kept two kittens so they could be raised with a dog. We broke up a while ago, and here I am.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer
It does kinda sound like territorial stress. Is he maybe spraying near doors/windows? Maybe check again for signs of (new) cats or other beasts wandering around outside?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

As much as it pains me to say it, rehoming one or two of your animals may be your best option. My wife and I have volunteered for an organization that rehomes surrendered cats and there's people dedicated to making sure they find homes that are good matches - we fostered an adult bonded pair that was very shy and seemingly unadoptable compared to a litter of kittens, and they were adopted by woman who found them perfect, for instance. So if you find the right organization, you aren't dooming them to euthanasia.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Otteration posted:

It does kinda sound like territorial stress. Is he maybe spraying near doors/windows? Maybe check again for signs of (new) cats or other beasts wandering around outside?

Yep, everywhere. Curtains, windows/doors, bottom floor area below a bed I got them, different corners, my electronics, feeding area at least a few times, his window bed, corners of my bed frame, etc. He’s even sprayed the wall from the top of the fridge. A bit ago he pissed on my stove/turntable/bed. I changed the environment, and have been stimulating them more, and it has gotten better. But, with a very small space, and my dog, I think he’s just in constant stress over territory. I believe he’ll flourish in a single cat/owner(s) environment, with more space. I’m just spread thin between the other cat and my dog. My dog is very needy, and I definitely feel that he’s just unhappy/mad with the situation, and yearning for attention and more stimulation. Never mind my poor mental health/energy in the space.

I live in a fairly urban environment, and just about all my neighbors in the small complex have dogs, and often have friends bring over dogs etc. Coupled with my small space, and fighting over territory with my dog and the other cat, it’s just beyond my control. I haven’t seen any other cats in the immediate area, like a feral in my yard spraying, etc.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

As much as it pains me to say it, rehoming one or two of your animals may be your best option. My wife and I have volunteered for an organization that rehomes surrendered cats and there's people dedicated to making sure they find homes that are good matches - we fostered an adult bonded pair that was very shy and seemingly unadoptable compared to a litter of kittens, and they were adopted by woman who found them perfect, for instance. So if you find the right organization, you aren't dooming them to euthanasia.

There are some good organizations locally that do the appropriate vetting. Though I haven’t reached out, or put things into motion, I’m worried they’re overwhelmed with pandemic pets. He’s fixed/chipped, so that’s half the battle. This has all been weighing heavily on me, which I know just feeds into the stress of the animals. I did put out some feelers and attempt to re-home both a bit ago, but thought I might be able to control the situation.

I think a big part of it is the huge alarms you see online about breaking a “bonded” pair up, and how hard it is on them. But, they are adolescent now, and I think he’s just growing into himself, and prefers his own thing. They don’t mind each other, but at this point, I’m not sure they particularly like each other. No real grooming or cuddling anymore, rubbing against each other, and all that. Not your quintessential adorable bonded pair. I hate to break them up, but I think it’s best. And with one cat, my dog will have companionship when I’m gone, and I think I could manage a two pet household.

Thanks for letting me ramble. It’s just tough since I rescued them from the streets. I mean, they were literally wandering the streets at <4 weeks with their mama. I nursed them back to health. If I know he finds a nourishing environment with an owner who doesn’t have a dog taking most of his time—-I’ll be content. That’s more or less where I’m at, and what I think I should do.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I wouldn't assume pet organizations are overwhelmed. The pandemic initially CLEARED OUT shelters, then swung the other way and overflowed them with surrenders. The impression I'm getting now is that they're mostly leveled out and it's business as usual from the lack of news stories on the subject - but that's very dependent on your local area's situation. I would actually reach out to some and find out.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

The plan this week is to get in contact with them, and put that all into motion. There’s social media and things like Nextdoor, but an organization will probably be best. The idea of re-homing one never registered in my mind until last night, after an abundance of tears and deep thinking of the situation. I suppose I just needed some validation, that given my situation, I’m not a cruel monster for separating littermates. I think it’ll be best for all.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Been feeding my cats Authority brand canned pate food from PetSmart since they were kittens. There appears to be a supply chain issue with getting more and I'm gonna be out of food in a week.

What would this thread recommend for a good, budget, canned cat food that might be more available?

Alternately, what dry kibble is best if we have to switch to dry food? Thanks thread.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Really happy with Royal Canin wet food.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Our cats love Weruva's BFF stuff (in the foil packs). For dry food we get N&D prime. Both seem readily available right now, we just refreshed stocks this week.

Another one we use is Fussie Cat but it's made of unobtanium right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

You can get Fussie Cat, and a lot of other hard-to-find cat foods, at chewy.com. That's where I'm getting the weird stuff my cats like. Some are still made of unobtanium, though.