Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the one change to tycoon I would make is having the persona 5 anime OPs on the jukebox so I could listen to em without needing a separate device.

They're good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

the sex ghost posted:

Playing through royal and its excellent, like all the tweaks and additions from the original. Just formally met gymnast girl and she seems like a real go getter. Jesus Christ these characters are so much more fun to be around than the ones in 4. Love my gang of weirdos

Without going into too much detail is that one weird bit of a later s-link sorted yeah we took nude pics of our daughter and sold them on the dark web but you made us feel bad about it. bing bong relationship +1

What social link are you talking about?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Hunt11 posted:

What social link are you talking about?

That's Hermit.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
It's been a while since I played it so might be misremembering slightly but remember it being extremely jarring and weird. Could have used a second set of eyes on that one imo

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Arist posted:

That's Hermit.

Thought so. Anyway if that is the scene I am thinking off the point is that Futaba is pushing out of her shell to help others.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

the sex ghost posted:

It's been a while since I played it so might be misremembering slightly but remember it being extremely jarring and weird. Could have used a second set of eyes on that one imo

I get where you're coming from because if nothing else that plotline is exceptionally dark and hosed-up in its implications on a level the rest of the game doesn't really go that close to most of the time, the only real exception being Kamoshida.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
My issue with it was more that you went into mementos and made them regret pimping out their kid and that was it. like even just a throwaway 'oh and also we called the police on ourselves because you showed us the error of our ways' and it would have barely registered

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Ah, right. Yeah, that's a little weird in hindsight.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

I think that this is an issue of Persona 5 having issues simply with translating the language, never mind any attempt to translate the culture (and the same failure to translate the culture completely messes up a chapter of Tokyo Mirage Sessions). If I've understood (and I've never been to Japan and don't speak Japanese) is that they were having their pre-teen daughter do gravure modelling, which is "art" modelling rather than clothing modelling and a significant number of gravure models are underage. There's no 'turn themselves in to the police' because it's entirely legal.

A "good" translation for the American market might have changed the exact nature of what the parents were doing in order to keep the social understanding the same; I think in an American equivalent would probably reference Toddlers and Tiaras somehow for the same level of legal, culturally understood as skeevy, but not actually illegal or directly involving sex feel.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the main change with Tycoon is that you should be able to play with Evil Akechi. in fact you should be able to play with Smug Akechi and Twisted Psycho Path Akechi at the same time

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Feels Villeneuve posted:

the main change with Tycoon is that you should be able to play with Evil Akechi. in fact you should be able to play with Smug Akechi and Twisted Psycho Path Akechi at the same time

DLC I'd pay for.

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

Arist posted:

I get where you're coming from because if nothing else that plotline is exceptionally dark and hosed-up in its implications on a level the rest of the game doesn't really go that close to most of the time, the only real exception being Kamoshida.

Kaneshiro would like to have a word with you.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Gen. Ripper posted:

That was some real hosed up poo poo.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I will say that there’s nothing more funny than the thought of a table of Joker, Ryuji and Morgana out-clevering the boy genius for a full 3-round sweep with Akechi as the Beggar. He absolutely should flip the table in game if that happens.

There’s a lot of changes they could make. Honestly if they got all of the other social links involved and added a few more options (changing round numbers, one more harder difficulty, adding runs in, maybe a few more deck designs) they could charge for it ala Gwent. Actually, give me a full Clubhouse Games/Persona crossover. Let me play Shogi against Hifumi, or blackjack with Evil Sae, or Hanafuda with Chihaya.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

neonchameleon posted:

I think that this is an issue of Persona 5 having issues simply with translating the language, never mind any attempt to translate the culture (and the same failure to translate the culture completely messes up a chapter of Tokyo Mirage Sessions). If I've understood (and I've never been to Japan and don't speak Japanese) is that they were having their pre-teen daughter do gravure modelling, which is "art" modelling rather than clothing modelling and a significant number of gravure models are underage. There's no 'turn themselves in to the police' because it's entirely legal.

A "good" translation for the American market might have changed the exact nature of what the parents were doing in order to keep the social understanding the same; I think in an American equivalent would probably reference Toddlers and Tiaras somehow for the same level of legal, culturally understood as skeevy, but not actually illegal or directly involving sex feel.

I wouldn't really say there was any "failure" in TMS, they changed the context of the chapter completely and retained it in the rerelease across all versions. I think they just thought better of it considering how slipshod all the other edits were.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Gen. Ripper posted:

Thank you for this. I had to quick go back and make sure I hadn't just mentally elevated the subtext.

I did not. Such a hosed up plot.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The hosed-up parts of Kaneshiro are mostly explicit text, which ironically caused me to overlook them in favor of the stuff the game is a little cagier about.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

neonchameleon posted:

I think leaving it but making it clear this poo poo is legal would work for the theme of the game, which is that society is rotten.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I have a 99 Lucifer, a 99 "Mother Harlot," a 99 Beezlebub, and a 99 Yoshitsune (who I guess is the odd one out), I'm ready for the end I think

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

DC Murderverse posted:

I will say that there’s nothing more funny than the thought of a table of Joker, Ryuji and Morgana out-clevering the boy genius for a full 3-round sweep with Akechi as the Beggar. He absolutely should flip the table in game if that happens.

I love the thought that Akechi was so cocky about his plan and wasn’t careful enough because when he met the group for the first time it was just the doofus squad, and he couldn’t imagine them ever being a threat.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
How is Persona 5 Strikers? Is it a proper persona game? It's sitting in my library thanks to PS+ and I was thinking of digging into it. Any tips or things I shouldn't miss if I give it a try?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

P5S is a direct sequel to P5, but it's not the same game by any means. It's a collaboration with Omega-Force (the team at Koei that does the Dynasty Warriors games) and it's an ARPG with no time management and very little of the social sim aspect of P5. I enjoyed it a lot, but if you're not into ARPGs or if the social sim aspect of Persona is what you're looking for, it may not be the game for you.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

Levantine posted:

How is Persona 5 Strikers? Is it a proper persona game? It's sitting in my library thanks to PS+ and I was thinking of digging into it. Any tips or things I shouldn't miss if I give it a try?

Definitely not a "proper" Persona game. The plot only moves forward when you move it forward, no calendar pressure whatsoever. The combat is pure Musou, with some Persona flavor that (I personally think) makes it feel pretty nice, until you run out of SP...but you can leave a dungeon anytime and immediately re-enter to refresh the whole party's HP/SP anyhow, so that only really becomes a factor during boss fights.

Plot and characterization-wise, it's a direct sequel to Persona 5, so the whole cast is around from the start and they bounce off each other just perfectly. Some characters get their moments to just shine and if that's what you want out of the game more than the gameplay (it certainly was for me), you won't be disappointed.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

If my schedule permits, I will be playing Strikers NG+ on the in-game dates as a continuation of my real-time playthrough (Royal is about to wrap up soon...)

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

If my schedule permits, I will be playing Strikers NG+ on the in-game dates as a continuation of my real-time playthrough (Royal is about to wrap up soon...)

*Looks at date*

Yeah, next couple of days will be fun, then extended break time.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

The writing in Strikers is better than in P5, it’s more tightly focused (think 40-50 hours instead of 80-100) and it’s fun to visit different cities with the gang and explore the local cuisine (seriously this game will make you hungry and want to fly to Japan). Plus the soundtrack lives up to its predecessor.

The action isn’t quite as polished as the turn-based combat, the tight focus does mean that there’s less side content and no social links, but if you want more of the characters from P5 it should give you plenty to like.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

DC Murderverse posted:

The writing in Strikers is better than in P5, it’s more tightly focused (think 40-50 hours instead of 80-100) and it’s fun to visit different cities with the gang and explore the local cuisine (seriously this game will make you hungry and want to fly to Japan). Plus the soundtrack lives up to its predecessor.

The action isn’t quite as polished as the turn-based combat, the tight focus does mean that there’s less side content and no social links, but if you want more of the characters from P5 it should give you plenty to like.

I think that's what I'm looking for, to be honest. I've been consuming 100+ hour dungeon crawlers and I think I need some light fun catching up with some old friends. The Social Link stuff has never been why I play Persona either, tbh - I just like the powerups it gives you. If there's a decent sense of progression I'm going to dig into it.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Bah, there's way better variations Satan than the vanilla abomination.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Tomorrow is the big day...

Here's my squad

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Is that a dinosaur on the Virgin Mary Persona?

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.

Levantine posted:

I liked P5S just fine. If you played P5R like I did, it's a little disappointing and jarring that it's a sequel to Vanilla P5 so none of the Royal stuff is mentioned or touched upon. I also was not the biggest fan of the streamlined Persona fusion system, or the gameplay compared to the RTS system of the mainline games.

The voice acting, style and music loving kills as you would expect and it's a blast hanging out with the gang again. Would definitely recommend as it's a good time.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Adrianics posted:

I liked P5S just fine. If you played P5R like I did, it's a little disappointing and jarring that it's a sequel to Vanilla P5 so none of the Royal stuff is mentioned or touched upon. I also was not the biggest fan of the streamlined Persona fusion system, or the gameplay compared to the RTS system of the mainline games.

The voice acting, style and music loving kills as you would expect and it's a blast hanging out with the gang again. Would definitely recommend as it's a good time.

They actually do mention the Royal stuff like, once or twice.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

YaketySass posted:

Yes it's a manifestation of Raptor Jesus put into the collective unconscious through the power of memes.
Is this your first game in the SMT series or what? :rolleyes:

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I didn't like the P5:S gameplay but drat, I really want to play P5:R someday if it ever comes to PC in a decade. I liked just spending time wandering Tokyo and hanging out with my best anime friends.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

It's April 9, and you know what that means...

Almost a year... It's done

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Feb 4, 2022

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

drat, congrats. That's a lot of dedication.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

:toot:

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

YaketySass posted:

Serious answer: it's common to portray Mary stepping on a snake/lizard/dragon as a symbol of triumph over evil.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Congrats!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Alder posted:

I didn't like the P5:S gameplay but drat, I really want to play P5:R someday if it ever comes to PC in a decade. I liked just spending time wandering Tokyo and hanging out with my best anime friends.

I dug into it and while I'm fairly lukewarm on the combat early on, the rest feels exactly what I wanted it to feel like. I always liked the cast of P5 but digging back in made me realize how much. I would love them to spend some time on the P5 crew doing stuff. Maybe do another actual persona RPG type game like Persona 5: Final or some weird poo poo like that.

That said, any tips for how to actually play the game? I'm in the first jail and attacks just don't seem to have enough telelgraph for me to dodge consistently in big crowds. I feel like resources are super lean too so I am not using Personas or items much in regular battles. But also I feel very weak so it's a bit tough when big enemies come out. Should I be targeting specific personas/abilities? Status seems super powerful when enemies use it.