Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
Totally agree re: Judi's extremely hosed up but all-too-real character. She has perfectly written a character who lives entirely in her own head and fills in wayyyy too many blanks with her own insane insecurities, and she's performing the hell out of it too.

I know I already posted about this in between seasons but her confession to BJ at Outback at the end of S1 is the perfect encapsulation of her character. She thinks she's telling a sad story about how tragic and intriguing her love life has been, but she's actually illustrating a series of incidents where she is absolutely, 1000% caustic and in the wrong but just does not realize it, at ALL.

I need more of these insane yet believable characters in my TV. It's so satisfying to see these fresh new brands of immaturity explored in more detail

:stonklol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Mordja posted:

I was legit shocked that BJ's sister wasn't named HJ.

If you haven't seen Vice Principals yet, she's even crazier in that! I think it's fair to say it was her breakout role.

I meant to watch that years ago and completely forgot about it, but thank you for the suggestion! I just added that to my HBO Max watch list.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Doronin posted:

I meant to watch that years ago and completely forgot about it, but thank you for the suggestion! I just added that to my HBO Max watch list.

If you love Goggins, you are in for an absolute treat. Same for McBride.

"So what?! I happen to LIKE lip syncing and eating nachos."

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
Unlike Vice Principals, Edi writes the show this time around, she gives herself these hard to do scenes and nails them.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

There's not a single dog in the entire south that hasn't heard "go on now", often as one two-syllable word

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

The only thing I could think of during the baptism scene was how when I lived in Waco one of the big popular churches was doing a baptism and when the preacher grabbed the mic while standing in the pool it shorted out and electrocuted him to death in front of the entire congregation. It was also homecoming weekend at Baylor so there were twice as many in attendance as normal. That would be perfect for a Righteous Gemstones scene.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
I had an ex-girlfriend that was a lot like Judy. Super “religious”. Super manipulative and abusive. The total package.

The first two months were fine, but once the crazy revved up it didn’t stop until I broke up with her towards the end of the third month. She threw a lamp at me and woke up her kids to try and make me explain why I was breaking her heart in front of them.

Then she showed up to my work a few times. Never dated another “religious” woman again.

aperfectcirclefan
Nov 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
....is grown up Harmon going to be Steve Little

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

aperfectcirclefan posted:

....is grown up Harmon going to be Steve Little

I hope so

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
i think a lot of people are planning on Harmon being that little turd from home alone

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

i really want him to be steve little

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

i really want him to be steve little

Me too

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
loving the costume work, just a stellar job

https://i.imgur.com/1CJXMxc.gifv

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Misbehavin' to continue as show renewed.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

MizuZero posted:

I love how this show and Succession are two sides of the same coin. Both regularly portray absolute opulence, but where the Roys have a modicum of taste the Gemstones are absolutely trashy with their wealth, with the decor at BJ’s adult baptism being a great example

I'm not sure if this baptism party (which tbh had huge bar mitzvah vibes) is really any worse than Kendall's 40th birthday.

It is very weird how HBO has both of these shows at the same time. And that McBride has never watched Succession.

aperfectcirclefan
Nov 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
I've never watched Succession, isnt it like a family drama?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

aperfectcirclefan posted:

I've never watched Succession, isnt it like a family drama?

It’s about a family that runs a right wing media empire worth billions of dollars. Both shows have a seemingly frail old patriarch, two failsons vying for attention from him, and a daughter who always gets shafted and marries a man who everyone is mean to. It’s a drama that is also one of the funniest shows on TV, while Gemstones is a comedy with dramatic storylines. Jesse loving up an investment deal with other horrible rich people is straight out of Succession.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Succession was created by Jesse Armstrong, who has been tending towards drama-comedy for a while now. you may best know his work with his writing partner Sam Bain, they are co-creators of Peep Show and co-writers on Four Lions among other caustic dark comedies. there's always been a fascination in his work with bad, hasty scheming falling apart hilariously

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfUFzoMpjzA

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

I thought Adam McKay created Succession

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Henchman of Santa posted:

It’s a drama that is also one of the funniest shows on TV,

I wouldn't go that far, especially when you're selling the show to someone who hasn't seen it. There are a few actual jokes here and there, but the tone is more dramatic and serious, and the humor is just kind of a background effect -- the way these ultra rich people live, how they think, how they treat the world around them. Kinda like a family of Lucille Bluths and Busters, but much more realistic characters.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Senator Drinksalot posted:

He’s just an executive producer.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Senator Drinksalot posted:

he and will ferrel are executive producers (read: influential hollywood guys who opened doors and put their time and money on the line to get this thing made)

jesse armstrong is the creator and head writer, he's been moving more from comedy-drama to drama-comedy over time. he's been trying to get a rupert murdoch biopic made for a while now and i'm sure a lot of that shows up in Succession

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

Phenotype posted:

I wouldn't go that far, especially when you're selling the show to someone who hasn't seen it. There are a few actual jokes here and there, but the tone is more dramatic and serious, and the humor is just kind of a background effect -- the way these ultra rich people live, how they think, how they treat the world around them. Kinda like a family of Lucille Bluths and Busters, but much more realistic characters.

If there is anything this hell world has taught me it's that Lucille Bluth is incredibly realistic.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Mob posted:

There's not a single dog in the entire south that hasn't heard "go on now", often as one two-syllable word

It’s the most southern thing. Completely unfakable.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Phenotype posted:

I agree with this, but goddamn is there some ridiculous poo poo in Succession (in a good way).

Roman's picture, for example. I laughed out loud when Logan's phone buzzed. Man, what a perfect moment.

Also, literally every scene with Greg, and most with Tom.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

gemstones is a much better show than succession imo

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

It really is.

Gemstones is not my favorite Hill/McBride/Green show, but it absolutely their most well made show in every way.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I love them both, but I find them far too different to compare :shrug:

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

ok mcbride/hill/dgg smokey and the bandit dumb fan casting

mcbride as the bandit and goggins as snowman, obviously

then I'm thinking Edi Patterson as a gender flipped Junior, who's meek submissiveness takes on a whole new weird deranged bent with her playing it

then a Goodman-esque prestige actor for Buford T Justice himself.

steve little as Little Enos Burdette, not sure who would be Big Enos

Frog would probably be a new pull, but right now give me Cassidy freeman as the Frog or equivalent love interest, because she's smoking hot and her and Mcbride do have kind of cute chemistry. the love interest/romance has to have an earnest emotional core

in season 2 they do the elephant and instead of introducing the dom deluise character its little enos who gets stuck in the trailer for the trip, because Steve little getting molested and generally humiliated by an elephant is too fun of an opportunity to pass up

also the YouTube algorithm directed me to a random mcbride interview on I think Kevin hart's podcast where he mentioned in passing that he's currently working on a movie with Gareth Edwards, which is very loving exciting for me as somebody who likes everything that dude's done

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I love them both, but I find them far too different to compare :shrug:

Yeah, same here. Despite an elevator pitch sounding amazingly similar they couldn’t be any more different in terms of tone and presentation.

They’re both amazing though.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The delivery on the line " but it wasn't a turd, it was me!" Was amazing.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
I tried watching succession and then the first episode a guy gets completely verbally destroyed by his dad. Not in a funny way where he’s been a dipshit all season. It’s definitely more dramatic where they do funny things (like someone puking through the eyeballs of a Mickey Mouse costume)
Than “the funniest show on television“, which is the saved by the bell reboot.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Yeah, it was not funny AT ALL the first couple episodes but by the 4th the walls start cracking and the humour is leaking in. I am still in S1 and very early but it has potential.

It's why I couldn't get into Yellowstone which people are gushing over - I think that is a straight up drama and I do not care about a bunch of billionaires getting land rights against indigenous people who should just kill Kevin Costner. At least Succession has some comedy.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I'm just saying it would not be out of character for a Gemstone to accidentally send a dick pic to Eli in the middle of a meeting.

WonkyBob
Jan 1, 2013

Holy shit, you own a skirt?!
Being a production designer for this show must be a shitload of fun

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

That one got the biggest laugh out of me.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
hahahahaha the photoshopped eyes

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Jose Oquendo posted:

That one got the biggest laugh out of me.

There's something very Tim and Eric about parts of this show, and I like it very much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Read After Burning posted:

If you love Goggins, you are in for an absolute treat. Same for McBride.

"So what?! I happen to LIKE lip syncing and eating nachos."

I watched the first two eps last night, and holy poo poo. I am probably going to tear through Vice Principals in no time.

Mandrel posted:

ok mcbride/hill/dgg smokey and the bandit dumb fan casting

mcbride as the bandit and goggins as snowman, obviously

then I'm thinking Edi Patterson as a gender flipped Junior, who's meek submissiveness takes on a whole new weird deranged bent with her playing it

then a Goodman-esque prestige actor for Buford T Justice himself.

steve little as Little Enos Burdette, not sure who would be Big Enos

Frog would probably be a new pull, but right now give me Cassidy freeman as the Frog or equivalent love interest, because she's smoking hot and her and Mcbride do have kind of cute chemistry. the love interest/romance has to have an earnest emotional core

in season 2 they do the elephant and instead of introducing the dom deluise character its little enos who gets stuck in the trailer for the trip, because Steve little getting molested and generally humiliated by an elephant is too fun of an opportunity to pass up

also the YouTube algorithm directed me to a random mcbride interview on I think Kevin hart's podcast where he mentioned in passing that he's currently working on a movie with Gareth Edwards, which is very loving exciting for me as somebody who likes everything that dude's done

I'd absolutely watch this cast recreate the entire Burt Reynolds catalog of movies in that era. White Lightning, Gator, Hooper (although Hot Rod wasn't terribly far off from Hooper)... so much to choose from. Not sure about Deliverance, but I'd probably watch that too in spite of how wildly problematic it would be.

As for Big Enos, I think you'd have to go John Goodman there. All he'd have to do is reprise one of his Cohen Brother roles (Big Dan Teague, especially) and nail it. For Buford T. Justice, I think you'd have to get someone to do a different spin on that totally because Gleason made that role so iconic.

Doronin fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jan 26, 2022