Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Seem like a perfect time to install a garbage disposal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Nitrox posted:

Seem like a perfect time to install a garbage disposal

I won't do that, for 2 reasons:

1. The city's bylaw doesn't let me
2. I've never had one, seen one being used or used one in another house, so I don't know what I'm missing.

My question was mainly about the pipe that's coming from the floor. Maybe the depth is not visible in the picture. Now, it's going towards the door of the cabinet, to meet the sink's drains in the middle of the unit. The fittings were set like that for this to happen. With the next sink, with the holes being towards the end of the cabinet, that pipe will have to somehow go back in space. I was wondering if there's a special kind of a fitting that I should be looking for at Home Depot or I should just try to combine them and change directions with normal angled fittings.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Volguus posted:

I won't do that, for 2 reasons:

1. The city's bylaw doesn't let me
2. I've never had one, seen one being used or used one in another house, so I don't know what I'm missing.

My question was mainly about the pipe that's coming from the floor. Maybe the depth is not visible in the picture. Now, it's going towards the door of the cabinet, to meet the sink's drains in the middle of the unit. The fittings were set like that for this to happen. With the next sink, with the holes being towards the end of the cabinet, that pipe will have to somehow go back in space. I was wondering if there's a special kind of a fitting that I should be looking for at Home Depot or I should just try to combine them and change directions with normal angled fittings.

Yes, you're going to use a combination of fittings. Largely what you see there already. And if I were you I'd be pulling that base cabinet while the counter is off so I could cut that cleanout off and replace it in a way that it's angled properly for the new sink. If removing the cabinet it not possible for some reason I'd cut the bottom out of it to make an access panel that I would then cover with some plywood or whatever.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Our bathtub has one of those stoppers that's spring-loaded, so you push it once to close it and again to open it. Lately it's started to make a sort of low roar when it's shut and the tub has water in it. I think the rubber seal is like vibrating, maybe because the stopper isn't far enough down? I can touch the rubber and the noise stops. But it was fine when I installed it a few months ago. What could be the problem?

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Volguus posted:

2. I've never had one, seen one being used or used one in another house, so I don't know what I'm missing Depot or I should just try to combine them and change directions with normal angled fittings.
Yeah, I just moved into a house with my first garbage disposal ever, and I don't 100 percent get it. There's been a small handful of times it's been sort of convenient, but I've just never really thought to myself before "God, I wish I could just scrape this plate into the sink instead of the trash".

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Motronic posted:

Yes, you're going to use a combination of fittings. Largely what you see there already. And if I were you I'd be pulling that base cabinet while the counter is off so I could cut that cleanout off and replace it in a way that it's angled properly for the new sink. If removing the cabinet it not possible for some reason I'd cut the bottom out of it to make an access panel that I would then cover with some plywood or whatever.

Welp, I didn't have the presence of mind to do that. I have no idea what I'm doing, so I'm just winging it. The workers came in, put the countertop and the new sink in. The good news is that while the new drain holes are closer to the other end of the cabinet as expected, I just may be able to get away with just cutting from the existing angled abs pipe and move up from there. The bad news is that (as per a Home Depot employee) the entire Southwestern Ontario is having an 1.5 inch ABS pipe shortage. And god drat fittings. I went to 3 Depots today to just pluck poo poo that I think I may need. And I still may be short of some stuff. I haven't checked Lowes, but historically they fared worse than Home Depot around here in inventory. But I just may pay them a visit if I don't have what I need.

Slugworth posted:

Yeah, I just moved into a house with my first garbage disposal ever, and I don't 100 percent get it. There's been a small handful of times it's been sort of convenient, but I've just never really thought to myself before "God, I wish I could just scrape this plate into the sink instead of the trash".

I've read about them last night after I saw the suggestion and yeah, I'm not convinced about them even if the city would let me. But, if it would be something that everyone would have and would be expected to have in a house around here (or else the value would go down, nah, who am I kidding, they're skyrocketing) I would most likely install one.

Volguus fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jan 22, 2022

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Volguus posted:

The bad news is that (as per a Home Depot employee) the entire Southwestern Ontario is having an 1.5 inch ABS pipe shortage. And god drat fittings. I went to 3 Depots today to just pluck poo poo that I think I may need. And I still may be short of some stuff. I haven't checked Lowes, but historically they fared worse than Home Depot around here in inventory. But I just may pay them a visit if I don't have what I need.

You're not alone. I just had the same experience a week or so ago in the electrical aisles of both Lowes and Depot.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Motronic posted:

You're not alone. I just had the same experience a week or so ago in the electrical aisles of both Lowes and Depot.

I couldn’t find latches anywhere across multiple lowes and Home Depot’s

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Well I’ve had my water softer working marginally for years, because gently caress Culligan, but now that I replaced the dishwasher it’s really bugging me. I think to replace this with whatever brand Costco is selling today I just need to unscrew the black plastic fittings I’ve circled and then hook up the replacement. After setting to hard water and turning off the supply of course. That look right? The valve to the left is some silly-assed combination of welding and threaded that looks like a logic puzzle so I’d really prefer to leave it.

Lol on the spiderweb I didn’t notice until i took the flash photo.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Yes, that thing that says "PUSH FOR SOFT WATER" is a (nice) bypass valve. So just remove the black plastic fitting from it and connect/adapt what you get to that.

Most likely if you press the other side of that bypass valve (the red plastic thing) you can disconnect without turning off any water. I would not do that, but I would give it a try after you disconnect to see if it works properly, turn the water on and make sure you don't have any leaks and that the house is still supplied. That way if you have a softener malfunction in the future you know it works and you have options.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Trying to find out the name of a plumbing fixture? that I would like to install in my shower. The shower will have two shower heads. A traditional one on the wall and one above for an overhead rain style head.

Question: I want the option to select one or the other, or both with one tap/handle. Is there a specific term for such an animal (should it exist).

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

That's a "transfer valve" as opposed to a "diverter valve" (which is usually in the tub faucet) but some manufacturers still call them that anyway. A lot of them have three outputs (2 shower heads and a body spray).

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Thanks. That's exactly what I was looking for. Also love how the covers and valves are sold separately and :eyepop: ~$250 each.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Blistex posted:

Thanks. That's exactly what I was looking for. Also love how the covers and valves are sold separately and :eyepop: ~$250 each.

Yes, they are in the "bougie" market segment so they charge the hell out of you for them.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
It would be cheaper to add three volume control taps to the setup so every shower is like making a U-Boat dive.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Slugworth posted:

It's not for scraping plates. It's for peeling carrots or potatoes directly into the sink, then whooshing them, instead of having to pick them up and carry them to the trash/compost like a pleb. Also when you run a squeezed lemon through it, the kitchen smells nice.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
Anyone know what's going on with this shower handle?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxFUp2iINWo

I replaced the cartridge that was leaking behind it about... 2 years ago?

(I also tried to take it out today, got the set screw out and cannot get the handle off.)

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Blistex posted:

Trying to find out the name of a plumbing fixture? that I would like to install in my shower. The shower will have two shower heads. A traditional one on the wall and one above for an overhead rain style head.

Question: I want the option to select one or the other, or both with one tap/handle. Is there a specific term for such an animal (should it exist).

If there is no tub, and if you're not using the spigot, any diverter with two-way function will work for you. You can also find a fixture you like, and work backwards from that. If you're looking for a multi-function action, Hudson Reed makes good stuff.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Arsenic Lupin posted:

It's not for scraping plates. It's for peeling carrots or potatoes directly into the sink, then whooshing them, instead of having to pick them up and carry them to the trash/compost like a pleb. Also when you run a squeezed lemon through it, the kitchen smells nice.
It probably depends on municipality, but quite a bit of that waste becomes compost where it's needed most. Unlike when he goes into the plastic bag and then landfill. Mincing and flushing organic waste is better for environment.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I hope you know how to use an allen wrench and/or broomstick to unjam that disposal when it inevitably gets FUBAR from tons of peels.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

B-Nasty posted:

I hope you know how to use an allen wrench and/or broomstick to unjam that disposal when it inevitably gets FUBAR from tons of peels.

I love how this topic always brings up all of the (edge case) different ways everyone has been damaged by a garbage disposal.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

The only time I’ve dealt with a FUBAR disposal from crap going down it was when my Mom accidentally dropped a cobalt glass eye cup down her Insinkerator (she had it on the window sash above the sink as a suncatcher). Destroyed the base blade (Spinny table the grinder blades are attached to).

Iwatchtonysleep
Nov 15, 2011
Could the city water department working on the sewer cause my toilet to bubble like a volcano? I've never had a problem with gurgling or bubbling. Today, the toilet suddenly started bubbling like a volcano. Violently enough it sprayed/splashed water everywhere. I noticed the city water truck, the one with all of the tubing which I think is used for clearing clogs or something, was outside my house.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Yep, unfortunately. You will have to file a claim and they usually don't make it easy for you.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Iwatchtonysleep posted:

Could the city water department working on the sewer cause my toilet to bubble like a volcano? I've never had a problem with gurgling or bubbling. Today, the toilet suddenly started bubbling like a volcano. Violently enough it sprayed/splashed water everywhere. I noticed the city water truck, the one with all of the tubing which I think is used for clearing clogs or something, was outside my house.

yep someoen hosed up.. this has happened, as a matter of fact I know someone this happened to and it sucked to get the claim and there was an assload of water damage kuz it just kept going I think it was something like 5k gallons of water or some absurd amount that ended up in the poor person's home/basement.

Call the city, take pictures.. while everything is in your brain make notes like:
At x time I noticed that my toilet was gurgling and then it exploded and left pictured damage. I noticed a city sewer cleaning truck outside doing sewer cleaning.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

I think I've got a clogged vent pipe. When our washing machine drains, the floor drain (right next to the washer, under the utility sink the washer drains into) bubbles and backs up a bit, but then drains pretty much as you'd expect. Directly above the laundry room is the kitchen, and when we run the garbage disposal, it kinda blasts stuff out the other sink, then drains. Every other drain in the house works normally and drains quickly without any bubbling or gurgling or backing up.

If this sounds like a clogged vent, is there any way to clear that from inside the house? It's winter and I'm in Minnesota, so it's not exactly the ideal time to be up on a roof.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

Anyone know what's going on with this shower handle?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxFUp2iINWo

I replaced the cartridge that was leaking behind it about... 2 years ago?

(I also tried to take it out today, got the set screw out and cannot get the handle off.)

Hoping this is an easy fix? I've a call out to the plumber just because I don't have a ton of time to spend on this.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Elder Postsman posted:

I think I've got a clogged vent pipe...

Sounds more like the drain line is clogged. May be both.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Iwatchtonysleep posted:

Good reminder for me to put my backwater valve right where I'm not going to forget it when finishing my plumbing.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

So I installed two new toilets, and they actually seal now. (not that the three wax ring job wasn't sealed...) But now they siphon out of each other, so I figured the vent pipe was clogged, tried to snake it and was hitting something very hard around 4ft down. So got a camera on the amazon shuffle, and it looks like it's caped off?

I think my only option here is to open up the wall and see wtf is going on, unless anyone has any other ideas?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

is it below freezing in your area? Is it possible that's ice buildup from being backed up at somepoint?

edit: it's kind of hard to figure out what's going on there with that picture.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jan 26, 2022

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

tater_salad posted:

is it below freezing in your area? Is it possible that's ice buildup from being backed up at somepoint?

edit: it's kind of hard to figure out what's going on there with that picture.

No, it's only been below freezing here at most for a few hours at night. Yeah the picture isn't great, but wtvr it is it is hard and feels magnetic (the camera came with a small magnet attachment)

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
So that's 4' down the vent pipe from the roof? Any attic access so you can go check it out?

That looks like it could be the bottom of an elbow instead of a wye. Did you really give it a good look around to make sure the shadows weren't hiding anything? You could also pour some water down it and see what happens.

SpartanIvy fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jan 26, 2022

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

SpartanIvy posted:

So that's 4' down the vent pipe from the roof? Any attic access so you can go check it out?

That looks like it could be the bottom of an elbow instead of a wye. Did you really give it a good look around to make sure the shadows weren't hiding anything? You could also pour some water down it and see what happens.

Yeah, there is attic access but it is below the attic (very shallow attic), but I'll check it out, didn't really think about that.

I bent it around a number of way to try to get it anywhere else but it wasn't happening. Good call on the water, I'll give that a go.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
Any suggestions on shower layout and design for my bathroom? It's an old house so I'm planning on going with classic 1920s style (black and white, marble, probably some penny or subway tile, etc), if that helps at all. Also I would like to have 2 shower heads.

There's so much space that I can't decide what would be the best way to take advantage of it.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
Last weekend, during my drain pipe fix due to a new counter and a new sink, I also wanted (well, my wife did) to install a new faucet. The fancy long neck kind. So we went to Costco and we got Kohler Maxton touchless pulldown kitchen faucet. The installation manual can be seen here. On page 4 it shows how the thing is to be installed (imgur doesn't let me upload the picture). Anyway, the important bit is that from the water supply one should install a "check valve housing" and on top of it the supply hose to the actual faucet.

The drat thing would leak at the hot water line. Cold water was fine, but hot water would just leak. I tried tape around it. Would leak less, but still leak. I took the faucet back to Costco and took another one. Same thing. I got an adapter from Home Depot, thinking my water line maybe was broken in some way. Leak again, from that tiny little "check valve housing" piece. Finally, took this one back again and got a Moen faucet that just connected its water supply line to mine, no intermediaries, and it's been working fine since. Of course, this one is "simpler" as it doesn't have any fancy hand-waving things.

Is there something wrong with my water supply line that would not allow that kind of piece (check valve) to be installed? Does that thing have some requirements that I'm not aware of? Or is just Kohler designing these poorly?

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Rakeris posted:

Yeah, there is attic access but it is below the attic (very shallow attic), but I'll check it out, didn't really think about that.

I bent it around a number of way to try to get it anywhere else but it wasn't happening. Good call on the water, I'll give that a go.

Ok! Had time to gently caress with this some more, crawled as close as I could in the attic, but can't get to the pipe, can see it and it appears to look fine from where I was? Idk, black slightly rusty cast iron, not much to see really.

Went and poured some water down the pipe while I had the camera in it, it very slowly recedes, two vids below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEarLl2AWl8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xn1_qcqCDjs

Any ideas? Cause I think I'm in the: Well, time to measure where it is and cut a hole in the wall to see wtf is going on.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Volguus posted:

Last weekend, during my drain pipe fix due to a new counter and a new sink, I also wanted (well, my wife did) to install a new faucet. The fancy long neck kind. So we went to Costco and we got Kohler Maxton touchless pulldown kitchen faucet. The installation manual can be seen here. On page 4 it shows how the thing is to be installed (imgur doesn't let me upload the picture). Anyway, the important bit is that from the water supply one should install a "check valve housing" and on top of it the supply hose to the actual faucet.

The drat thing would leak at the hot water line. Cold water was fine, but hot water would just leak. I tried tape around it. Would leak less, but still leak. I took the faucet back to Costco and took another one. Same thing. I got an adapter from Home Depot, thinking my water line maybe was broken in some way. Leak again, from that tiny little "check valve housing" piece. Finally, took this one back again and got a Moen faucet that just connected its water supply line to mine, no intermediaries, and it's been working fine since. Of course, this one is "simpler" as it doesn't have any fancy hand-waving things.

Is there something wrong with my water supply line that would not allow that kind of piece (check valve) to be installed? Does that thing have some requirements that I'm not aware of? Or is just Kohler designing these poorly?
have you tried installing the first faucet without the bullshit check valve? Those things are usually solution to a problem nobody ever had.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

Hoping this is an easy fix? I've a call out to the plumber just because I don't have a ton of time to spend on this.

Looks like a worn cartridge, but if it's only two years old probably faulty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Rakeris posted:

Ok! Had time to gently caress with this some more, crawled as close as I could in the attic, but can't get to the pipe, can see it and it appears to look fine from where I was? Idk, black slightly rusty cast iron, not much to see really.

Went and poured some water down the pipe while I had the camera in it, it very slowly recedes, two vids below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEarLl2AWl8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xn1_qcqCDjs

Any ideas? Cause I think I'm in the: Well, time to measure where it is and cut a hole in the wall to see wtf is going on.

This is crazy as hell. I have no real idea. My first thought was maybe something crawled in and died like a bird, and then a bunch of dirt and filth over years filled in the gaps around the corpse and leveled the blockage off. But you said you hit it with a snake and it didn't budge, so I doubt that's it. Since it's only four feet down, maybe you could use a threaded rod or something similar like a spear and try to pierce it as one last hurrah before doing sheetrock damage. If you can get a hole through it, you could maybe fish it out with some bent coat hanger on a pole or at least get a better grip on it with the snake to break it up.