Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I don't owe the cable companies a drat penny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bull3964 posted:

T-Mobile gives me Paramount+ for free and a discount on Netflix.

I keep HBO Max since there's usually something on there to watch and I do the same for Hulu due to FX and their originals have been pretty good too.

I prepaid for Disney+ when it launched that got me that $2.99 /month price for like 3 years.

Peacock can rot in hell for cancelling A.P. Bio and I burned through everything worth watching on the service pretty quickly so it's not exactly high on the priority list.

Anything else I subscribe through Amazon Prime when they do their pretty frequent 0.99 /month for 2 month promotions. That's how I burned through Yellowjackets and Good Lord Bird on Showtime and Ultra City Smiths on AMC+.

I'm pretty sure we'll be done with P+ in a month or so. The only thing that I could see keeping it longer for is if I wanted to binge all Trek again.
We have my sister's HBO login and she has our D+ so we do cheat a little there.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

LionArcher posted:

I finished it last night. Standard needs to be one or two episodes less, but a very solid season 1. A good mix of The Ring/Sinster and other poo poo that would be a major spoiler.

I just finished it and I liked it a whole lot more when it was just the unsettling creepiness of isolation coupled with weird extra-dimensional entities and parallel worlds vibrating at other frequencies being sought by a comet cult and a tech billionaire instead of the ghosts, witches, and literal magic bullshit that it became in the back half.

It’s still a decent show worth watching, but don’t loving tease me with Fringe/X-Files/Heaven’s Gate vibes if you’re not gonna follow through. :argh:

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Edit: on episode 6 I think of the Leftovers. Forgotten how much I like this show and kinda wished I had binged it before. So the main cult Guilty Remnants: did I miss where they told what they actually believed? Feel like I did. Not christian but that priest gambling episode always makes me so bloody nervous. I kept telling the tv “no don’t bet it all you fool” and then “drive off now and don’t talk to the shady guy” then “don’t stop dammit!” No idea why that ep makes me get jittery.

Things are going to not end well for those cultists are they? Show makes me think how people flock to religion when things get bad.

DogsInSpace! fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Jan 25, 2022

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Escobarbarian posted:

It’s weird how so many people these days forget that you can just torrent things

Why even bother when some website just lets you stream, maybe even higher resolution than netflix or whatever might let you have.

bull3964 posted:

It's effort beyond pressing play and when you have a 30 series backlog that can be watched by just pressing play, it's not worth it.

go to primewire or anywhere like that and it's just as easy as clicking anything on a streaming website

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

DogsInSpace! posted:

Edit: on episode 6 I think of the Leftovers. Forgotten how much I like this show and kinda wished I had binged it before. So the main cult Guilty Remnants: did I miss where they told what they actually believed? Feel like I did.

It was always pretty vague but IIRC the GR believe the departure was the end of the world, and everyone remaining is literally the guilty remnant, i.e. those not innocent enough to be raptured. They're pissed off at society for moving on and living normally as though the world didn't end just a few years prior.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The Gilded Age started last night. Very rude of the Downton guy to put Carrie Coon in something I otherwise couldn’t give two shits about

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I just finished it and I liked it a whole lot more when it was just the unsettling creepiness of isolation coupled with weird extra-dimensional entities and parallel worlds vibrating at other frequencies being sought by a comet cult and a tech billionaire instead of the ghosts, witches, and literal magic bullshit that it became in the back half.

It’s still a decent show worth watching, but don’t loving tease me with Fringe/X-Files/Heaven’s Gate vibes if you’re not gonna follow through. :argh:

The podcast is a series of very creepy stories taking place in the same building, instead of a single creepy story that gets watered down over eight episodes.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Just finished Archive 81. Having been a huge fan of the podcast, it was...not bad. Not great, but not bad.

If you haven't heard the podcast, you'll probably be more inclined to like the show.

If you've only watched the show and didn't care for it but saw potential, you should check out the podcast.

The show is a serial whereas the podcast is more of a procedural; each episode focuses on a mood or theme or story and the Dan plot is a wrap-around that brings it all together. It's got it's problems, but it's really good.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
How much does the show follow or spoil the podcast? Trying to decide whether to watch the show as I’ll eventually want to listen to the podcast but don’t want to spoil myself.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

theblackw0lf posted:

How much does the show follow or spoil the podcast?

They are only really superficially similar, they share the same characters and setting, but otherwise are pretty different. I don’t think you ruin anything by watching the show first.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah, and there's no way the show follows the podcast's second season, should it even get renewed.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Just watched the latest Gemstones and whoever said Goodman is sleepwalking through this role or whatever is insane. He was great. Also so was everything else and this show rules

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Open Source Idiom posted:

Yeah, and there's no way the show follows the podcast's second season, should it even get renewed.

It seems like the premise is kind of shot, so a new season would be a completely different kind of show, even if they try to keep the “tapes from the past viewed in the present day” thing going with the characters’ roles reversed. I don’t know if they’re as creative as the podcast people seem to be. I’ve never listened, but the series wiki is making me want to check it out.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Open Source Idiom posted:

which is a shame because I think that's when they took their great foundation and went into overdrive. For me season 2 was like "no way they top the first one, should I even bother with this" to "hot drat, season 1 was barely a warm-up." I think I'll relisten to podcast and catch season 3 after I watch the show.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

How I Met Your Father feels like its trying WAY too hard to be the same but completely reversed.
- The mother narrates but instead of seeing the kids you see her being boozy while the kid has an awkward narration.
- Instead of an established group of friends its a bunch of people who just met and are just automatically a clique.
- The dude's best friend is engaged but instead of him always being with his fiance she's not even on the show.
- The mom's best friend is loud and sexual and pushing her to date but instead of being a cartoon womanizer she's supportive and trying to get past her issues to make a relationship work.

I dunno. I feel like there's a dozen other random things that feel like someone was like "Remember that thing from HIMYM? Lets do that, but opposite." But ultimately it just doesn't feel very funny and the core romance or the cutesy friend in jokes don't feel like they're hitting at all.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The main difference - HIMYM was pretty funny* and crafted stories in interesting ways.

* for the first bunch of seasons, anyway.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I always saw it as a less-bad Friends, but not quite a good show in and of itself. Didn't help I just didn't like Ted or find him interesting or funny while he enjoys unearned success and has a really rich dating and social life while acting so hard being him.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
HIMYM wasn't afraid to veer ourside the standard model of sitcoms either. They had some random rear end episodes that seem more like out of Community than Friends. Even though it was maybe a dozen or so out of 200 episodes, it was enough to set it apart from other similar sitcoms.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Ted Mosby is the most miserable leading man in the history of sitcoms.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

swickles posted:

HIMYM wasn't afraid to veer ourside the standard model of sitcoms either. They had some random rear end episodes that seem more like out of Community than Friends. Even though it was maybe a dozen or so out of 200 episodes, it was enough to set it apart from other similar sitcoms.

Any of these outliers come to mind? I really liked a lot of the actors on the show so I watched more of it than I would for not enjoying it overall but not remembering anything myself. We talking like a community genre episode or musical or like a paintball special?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

It’s hard to be worse than Ross Geller, but he pulls it off

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Right? It's amazing.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Khanstant posted:

Any of these outliers come to mind? I really liked a lot of the actors on the show so I watched more of it than I would for not enjoying it overall but not remembering anything myself. We talking like a community genre episode or musical or like a paintball special?

The Robin Sparkles and Slap Bet episodes were definitely. Two or three of the Robin Sparkles ones were basically Behind the Music style docs. The last Slap Bet episode was a straight up wushu film spoof. There are a few others that aren't themed, but just go off the rails in ways you never saw Friends and such do. Less like Community and more like Happy Endings in that regard.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
The one where Marshall's father dies was a pretty big gut punch that was well done, too. Spoilers for a 10+ year old sitcom episode:

From what I remember, the episode takes place at a time when Marshall and Lilly have been trying to get pregnant, and the narration of the episode is all about "you never know when your life is gonna change" and the episode has numbers that are counting down placed throughout the background of the whole episode. It's very much setting you up for a feel good "oh nice when the countdown ends, we'll find out Lilly is pregnant" ending.

Then the countdown ends and Marshall gets the call that his dad dropped dead. It was a very effective method to hit the audience with the same gut punch that the character must be feeling at that moment. Definitely something better and higher concept than I'd expect from what was usually a pretty middle-of-the-road sitcom.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The funeral episode was pretty touching.

the last call from Marshall's dad was a butt dial and it was eating him up that he didn't answer. in a moment of despair he plays the voice mail for everyone to hear lets the message play on and discovers his father realized he'd butt dialed and leaves Marshall a loving message, which saves Marshall's faith.

It was really a beautiful moment.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

^^^
That whole arc was some of the best dramatic work the show ever did

Khanstant posted:

The way they'd drop musical numbers into the show certainly set it apart from Friends. I mean of course you had all the Robin Sparkles songs, but also stuff like
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gK5IKEgt7e4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcM26g5VouQ

The cast album they put out is pretty good too.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Rhyno posted:

Paging Doctor Dorian, Doctor John Dorian

OldSenileGuy posted:

The one where Marshall's father dies was a pretty big gut punch that was well done, too. Spoilers for a 10+ year old sitcom episode:
The last truly great episode of the show that I remember.

Also bringing back Victoria (snowflake/baker) and ruining her is the sin I'll never forgive the show for.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

They occasionally use the fact that it was a story being told to his kids after the fact really well.

The one that jumps to mind is when they spend the entire episode saying Grinch instead of bitch, and then at the end he has to jump in and say "that time I actually said Grinch".

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
I had always assumed it was the Aussie word, not bitch:shrug:

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
There’s also some good bits that come from the “a story being told to kids” conceit, where whenever they smoke weed it just shows the characters eating a big sandwich but otherwise still acting high, or when it turns out the dad had been conveniently leaving out that all of the main characters used to smoke cigarettes, and then it shows a bunch of previous scenes from the show but now everyone is smoking a ton.

It’s a fun show. Aged and certainly got worse as time went on, but you can certainly do worse for traditional sitcoms.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I was reminded of Life on Mars in another thread so I looked it up for streaming (not on a service I have) but jesus, was that really 2006? Has it been that long?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

71 actually you must be looking at the remaster

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Remember how they did an American version of Life on Mars? No, nobody does, because nobody watched it beyond the first episode. Apparently the one and only season ended with the reveal that they were astronauts literally traveling to Mars :lol:

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

That American version is one of my mom's favorite shows

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

OldSenileGuy posted:

From what I remember, the episode takes place at a time when Marshall and Lilly have been trying to get pregnant, and the narration of the episode is all about "you never know when your life is gonna change" and the episode has numbers that are counting down placed throughout the background of the whole episode. It's very much setting you up for a feel good "oh nice when the countdown ends, we'll find out Lilly is pregnant" ending.

Then the countdown ends and Marshall gets the call that his dad dropped dead. It was a very effective method to hit the audience with the same gut punch that the character must be feeling at that moment. Definitely something better and higher concept than I'd expect from what was usually a pretty middle-of-the-road sitcom.

HIMYM in general was one of my favorite sitcoms of the last 20 years, and I think it's much, much better than friends, though it of course has plenty of issues.

It could also never be released today, because it would be canceled instantly because Ted and Barney are lovely people, and if anyone but NPH was playing Barney, it would never work, but he's fantastic in that role.

I even like the freaking ending, because unlike a lot of things, it shows that regardless of "true love" life sometimes forces you to keep going. It is more honest in that way than so many other shows.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gaius Marius posted:

That American version is one of my mom's favorite shows

I think your mother was body snatched.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Gene Hunt in the American version turns out to be Sam's dad, Tom. Who is a Major. Major Tom. :xd:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
STOP YOU'RE MAKING ME THINK ABOUT THAT SHOW

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

EL BROMANCE posted:

The main difference - HIMYM was pretty funny* and crafted stories in interesting ways.

* for the first bunch of seasons, anyway.

Yeah, I mean I think my point is I don't think there's anything built in keeping the now show from being good. It just feels too inorganic and trying to be (or not be) something else so it has no real identity or feel of its own. I got curious and watched a couple of HIMYM episodes to see if I was just remembering it better than it was. And there's awkward moments and missed jokes but it feels much more wore in and like its own humor and characters. So HIMYF just feels to me like its trying too hard to chase that instead of being whatever it is.