Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
To be clear, Galaxy is a great game

The red star is just the worst flying experience of any mario power up

That's why they buried it in the Afterthought Galaxy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Nep-Nep posted:

Mario 64 movement feels more fluid to me but also in Banjo I never feel like the camera randomly decides to murder me so each have their good points.

Banjo's camera is just as bad at getting caught on geometry sometimes where you can't move it and see what you're doing, but it has far far fewer bottomless/instant death pits. I can only think of two of them and both of those areas are very large so the camera in particular won't kill you.

The camera will gently caress you over and send you to the bottom of click clock wood however.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Any o' ya'll know if the Trials of Mana remake is any good?

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
mario 64 has the movement but banjo kazooie perfected the world full of collectables and items to collect and it has more character and personality than mario 64

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I have no idea why people are saying Mario's movement is better when the wing cap sucks poo poo and flying in Banjo feels great. Also when I switch directions while playing Banjo, Banjo doesn''t step to the side in a little circle like Mario does which would sometimes send me over the edge of a pit.

Mister Facetious posted:

It's great, I definitely recommend it. The voice acting isn't great though, but it's not a dealbreaker, plus you can change it to Japanese voices I think. But don't, because everyone deserves to experience Charlotte from Boston.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

mario 64 has the movement but banjo kazooie perfected the world full of collectables and items to collect and it has more character and personality than mario 64

It has too much character and the personality is off-putting. (Because it's British)

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

John Wick of Dogs posted:

It has too much character and the personality is off-putting. (Because it's British)

your wrong

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 30 hours!
we can all agre3e, the british must be destroyed

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Stux posted:

we can all agre3e, the british must be destroyed

i agree

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Twelve by Pies posted:

I have no idea why people are saying Mario's movement is better when the wing cap sucks poo poo and flying in Banjo feels great. Also when I switch directions while playing Banjo, Banjo doesn''t step to the side in a little circle like Mario does which would sometimes send me over the edge of a pit.

Preach

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Mario 64 has a slightly clunky turn that was more annoying that I remembered but the side flip is still one of the most satisfying things ever even now

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
mario is "parkour" but banjo is "guh huh"

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Mister Facetious posted:

it's very good. manages to preserve the feel of a snes game but with a fresh coat of paint

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Mister Facetious posted:

I was kinda on the fence about it for a few hours but then I started controlling the mage myself (instead of the companion AI) and I loved the rest of it. Very colorful, very pretty, no grind at all and no nuisance game systems. Micro-manage your party's special abilities a bit and mostly control whomever your most fragile and/or ranged person is.

Giant sea monster turtle guy is awesome.

Someone went way out of their way to hide treasure chests that just contain candy bars in weird spots though.

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

People complaining about the controls in Mario 64 will never not be funny to me. They nailed everything but the camera right out of the gate, movement in Mario 64 is somehow still better than some modern 3D games

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

ThatWhiteGuy posted:

People complaining about the controls in Mario 64 will never not be funny to me. They nailed everything but the camera right out of the gate, movement in Mario 64 is somehow still better than some modern 3D games

It's extremely difficult to turn around without running in a little circle which can make you fall off poo poo

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Butterfly Valley posted:

It's extremely difficult to turn around without running in a little circle which can make you fall off poo poo
It's called momentum. Let me see you run in a straight line and then change directions on a dime. This is actually what makes it feel satisfying to play, and the concept generally takes a 6 year old a few tries to get the hang of.

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

American McGay posted:

It's called momentum. Let me see you run in a straight line and then change directions on a dime. This is actually what makes it feel satisfying to play, and the concept generally takes a 6 year old a few tries to get the hang of.

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!
I played Mario 64 last year for the first time, so no nostalgia, and I thought everything about it including the controls were garbage, much like my posts.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

chaleski posted:

Mario 64 has a slightly clunky turn that was more annoying that I remembered but the side flip is still one of the most satisfying things ever even now

I can agree with that, also it's incredibly fun to long jump everywhere, and Banjo doesn't have anything like that.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

American McGay posted:

In addition to this, if you're not in motion, Mario WILL turn on a dime.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Friends, do not become addicted to Picross. It will take hold of you, and you will resent its absence!

mdemone fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jan 26, 2022

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Sometimes even at a standstill, I'd try to about face and do a weird semi-circle instead

That said I'm mostly just nitpicking, the controls are like 90% just fine and only become a slight issue on some tougher levels like Tic Toc Clock where you're also fighting the camera and the cramped environment, and the fact that they mostly nailed 3D controls that well in 1995 or whatever is amazing

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
tick tock clock is good

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

All my fond memories of Tick Tock Clock (spelled it wrong whoops) went up in flames on my recent replay and I never want to play that piece of poo poo level again. I think it replaced Hazy Maze Cave as my least favorite level

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

chaleski posted:

All my fond memories of Tick Tock Clock (spelled it wrong whoops) went up in flames on my recent replay and I never want to play that piece of poo poo level again. I think it replaced Hazy Maze Cave as my least favorite level

Yeah, it's truly awful.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
Every time someone says they think Super Mario 64 is overrated, they eventually reveal that they suck rear end at video games. Every single time.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
That’s funny, because I recently replayed M64 and Tick Tock Clock was better than I remember. Hazy Maze Cave owns too

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
i dont think its overrated i just like banjo kazooie more because it is the superior game

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Hazy maze doesn't feel like a cohesive level, it's like the And The Rest zone

But the individual parts are fine

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

American McGay posted:

When I was 6 years old I got the concept of reading and understanding the point being made and not inventing ones to argue against, which unfortunately it looks like you haven't quite mastered yet!

I'm not talking about momentum when you stop from running. I'm talking about his movement from standstill, which is unnecessarily fussy and caused a few deaths.

I'm not making GBS threads on the game generally but Mario 64 defenders don't need to tirelessly defend its honour any time someone points out that certain features from it might not have aged well, unsurprisingly given it's over 25 years old.

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

i dont think its overrated i just like banjo kazooie more because it is the superior game

How do you reconcile that with your hyper pro Nintendo lifestyle? Nintendo ain’t make Banjo Kazooie

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Butterfly Valley posted:

I'm talking about his movement from standstill, which is unnecessarily fussy and caused a few deaths.
Works on my machine OP.

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Butterfly Valley posted:

I'm not making GBS threads on the game generally but Mario 64 defenders don't need to tirelessly defend its honour any time someone points out that certain features from it might not have aged well, unsurprisingly given it's over 25 years old.

There’s a difference between defending the game’s honor and making fun of you for being bad at the game

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Butterfly Valley posted:

you're posting in the wrong thread if you don't want people doing that about the most pedantic poo poo ever

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
3 out of 4 good video game players agree!

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

ThatWhiteGuy posted:

How do you reconcile that with your hyper pro Nintendo lifestyle? Nintendo ain’t make Banjo Kazooie

actually your wrong.. .nintendo made banjo kazooie

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

I have a scorching hot take; Banjo and Mario 64 are both good and have mostly aged well

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

I like it more because I have more fun while playing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Butterfly Valley posted:

I'm talking about his movement from standstill, which is unnecessarily fussy and caused a few deaths.

You literally just push the direction you want to go in. It is factually simple, precise and intuitive.