Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Fungah! posted:

After growing angry with both the messenger's disrespect and finding him making out with his wife, Leonidas kicks him into a pit. Despite Traitoro's advice that the messenger's guards are now needed to convey the actual message, Leonidas kicks them in as well, along with Britney Spears (Nicole Parker) and Kevin Federline, Sanjaya Malakar, Ryan Seacrest, and the American Idol judges.

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

oh my god i thought i imagined this movie existed

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Fungah! posted:

After growing angry with both the messenger's disrespect and finding him making out with his wife, Leonidas kicks him into a pit. Despite Traitoro's advice that the messenger's guards are now needed to convey the actual message, Leonidas kicks them in as well, along with Britney Spears (Nicole Parker) and Kevin Federline, Sanjaya Malakar, Ryan Seacrest, and the American Idol judges.

and Gandalf the Grey and Gandalf the White and Monty Python and the Holy Grail's black knight and Benito Mussolini and the Blue Meanie and Cowboy Curtis and Jambi the Genie

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

symbolic posted:

and Gandalf the Grey and Gandalf the White and Monty Python and the Holy Grail's black knight and Benito Mussolini and the Blue Meanie and Cowboy Curtis and Jambi the Genie

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I wasn’t tricked I happily paid

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Fungah! posted:

rofl

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Fungah! posted:

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

symbolic posted:

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I saw Meet The Spartans in theaters when I was in high school

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

symbolic posted:

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

NienNunb posted:

I saw Meet The Spartans in theaters when I was in high school

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Arrhythmia posted:

Shocked to find out that I was the only one tricked into watching this movie by a friend.

EmmyOk posted:

I wasn’t tricked I happily paid

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/MarioBrothBlog/status/1486076724915970053

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

symbolic posted:

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 38 hours!
lmao

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Arrhythmia posted:

Shocked to find out that I was the only one tricked into watching this movie by a friend.
my best friend was dead set on getting us to watch it
I don't know how he talked us into it, but he got three of us into the theater with him, and he spent the entire movie laughing uproariously at every single thing that happened, slapping his knees and repeating dialogue and explaining every joke
the only time he stopped was when one of the rest of us laughed, which only happened a few times, but every time, he'd grin at whoever laughed like "I can't believe you laughed at this piece of poo poo you fuckin idiot"

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Cubone posted:

I don't know how he talked us into it, but he got three of us into the theater with him, and he spent the entire movie laughing uproariously at every single thing that happened, slapping his knees and repeating dialogue and explaining every joke
the only time he stopped was when one of the rest of us laughed, which only happened a few times, but every time, he'd grin at whoever laughed like "I can't believe you laughed at this piece of poo poo you fuckin idiot"

lol

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Cubone posted:

lmfao

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 38 hours!

Cubone posted:

lol sounds like you got pwned...

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Cubone posted:

lmao

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

I appreciate the original canon in which Wario was a giant

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Cubone posted:

lmao

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Cubone posted:

he's cool

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Cubone posted:

Lmao

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
theres a newly translated interview with miyamoto after the release of ocarina of time. its awesome and hes a genius. most interesting part imo:

quote:

—From what I've seen, players have been really divided over Link's inability to jump.

Miyamoto: I thought if we added jumping, it would be one-too-many gameplay elements. And it would be frustrating if you were in the middle of a dungeon and had to make some pixel-perfect jump to progress. If we really tried to make that mechanic fun, it would have turned Ocarina into a completely different game.

We're sort of asking players to trust the developers when they make those jumps, and so we didn't include player control for the jumps.

—Is this also a "Zelda" characteristic?

Miyamoto: Hmm, no, there was a different intention there.

I hate to say things like "the history of games" because it sounds so pretentious, but when you look at those games that have done something truly and historically new, they are the games which gave the world a new "etiquette" of basic movement and action.

I'm very aware of the fact that I am the first person to create what we call "jump games". And as the creator of jump games, the one thing I can't let someone else change is the whole jump action! If someone is going to change the grammar of "jumping", it has to be me. In Ocarina of Time, you no longer have to press a jump button to cross ledges, for instance.

We wrote data for each terrain location, and that data determines what kind of jump Link will perform. Honestly, this is not only a new "grammar" for jumping, it also signals a whole new range of possibilities for 3D interactivity. It's kind of like having a bunch of miniature "movies" that you can interact with, to put it simply, but having all that encoded into the terrain data is the new part. For example, when Link approaches a cliff's edge, the camera swivels upwards and allows you to peer down into the chasm. Or when you cross a bridge on horseback, the camera switches to a cinematic side-view. In this way, we're not interrupting the gameplay with lengthy cutscene movies, but attaching the movies to the character's own movements. If we push forward with this "grammar" I think we'll be able to do weirder and more interesting things too.

—So normal actions, like simply walking around, can now be imbued with a cinematic flair...?

Miyamoto: Yes, and yet it doesn't interfere with the gameplay. That's the problem with movies, if you add too many, they can confuse the players sense of direction, and actually make the game harder to play. To avoid that, you've got to have the right know-how and sense, and building that intuition up is going to be key for us in the coming years. In doing so we're going to create a whole new grammar of interactivity. It's a range of possibilities that do not exist in movies, I believe.

There's people out there who think "games are inferior to movies", but the new frontier is interactivity, so rather than fighting over winners and losers in the here-and-now, I say let's enjoy working constructively towards that new future.

https://shmuplations.com/ocarinaoftime/

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

scary ghost dog posted:

theres a newly translated interview with miyamoto after the release of ocarina of time. its awesome and hes a genius. most interesting part imo:

miyamoto is so great. nintendo ftw

i got Iwata Asks and still need to read it

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

scary ghost dog posted:

its funny to think about people at the time thinking hes nuts for making the complete industry standard for modern aaa games

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

I still remember the story about him playing an early version of Metroid Prime, disliking the controls and just perfectly laying out exactly how the movement needs to be.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 38 hours!

Plebian Parasite posted:

I still remember the story about him playing an early version of Metroid Prime, disliking the controls and just perfectly laying out exactly how the movement needs to be.

quote:

“Mike Wikan likes to tell a story about Mr. Miyamoto asking us during the early design phases of Prime 1, ‘What would it be like if Samus had a bug’s head?'” – Brian Walker, Senior Producer

“And at the time, I remember going back to our office and saying, ‘Switching heads? What does that have to do with Metroid?'” – Mike Wikan, Senior Designer

lol

16-bit Butt-Head fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jan 27, 2022

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
no one can say what Shigeru Miyamoto meant, only that whatever he meant was right

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Miyamoto posted:

I could make Halo. It's not that I couldn't design that game. It's just that I choose not to.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
i guess im going to play earthbound now

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
i met ruffini

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

mycophobia posted:

i met ruffini

just wait until you meet PP

copy
Jul 26, 2007

lol shiggy metroid prime ends with bug-headed samus going to the space hospital and shaking hands with all the enemies she defeated

copy
Jul 26, 2007

scary ghost dog posted:

also this owns

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Showing a game to Shiggy must be absolutely nerve wracking. Either he gives you the perfect game design wisdom like a nugget of gold from God himself, says something insane about giving your character a bug head, or spends half an hour climbing up and down trees in deathly silence for no reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Maybe Samus should have had a bug head.