Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

AdmiralViscen posted:

It’s good to take the burning elite in act 1, but not necessarily if its floor 7. And if it is floor 7 you absolutely want to take all of your easy pool fights and avoid question marks so you make sure you get the damage output you need to win. You can take finicky stuff like prostrate later on. The first half of act 1 you need raw damage output

Edit - the first three combats in act 1 (and first two in acts 2 and 3) are against a separate pool of easier enemies. You want to make sure you get all of these before an elite so you can stock up on cards/potions/money and come at the first elite of the act in as strong a position as possible. With the above screen shot i would not have gone after the burning elite in act 1, that’s a brutal path

I don't think that's necessarily such a big mistake; 2 easy fights + 2 question marks has a good chance of getting all your easy fights, and a shop can help shore up any weakness in your deck. It's gutsy and probably not the best route for a struggling new player, but with Watcher Bullshit it's not an unreasonable risk to take.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

reach heaven is an interesting early pick because the #1 downfall of early dmg cards is you want to draw them on the same turn as wrath, but that's a tough trick to do. Through heaven, however, is a retain card making it a bit easier for timing despite it not being a great card overall.

ChikoDemono
Jul 10, 2007

He said that he would stay forever.

Forever wasn't very long...

That was a fun seed. Did a boss swap, went down the middle path for 3 regular elites. Ended up fighting 4 due to an event in the first act. Never was in any danger, most HP lost was to the first boss.

My strategy was play as many cards as I could, vault, then do it again.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Chaotic Flame posted:

One thing I would say as you're learning the game, don't worry about getting all the keys and fighting the heart each time and path based on how your deck is going. If you don't feel confident for an elite, skip the elite. I would leave burning elites alone unless you know your deck is busted and/or you have a few ascensions under your belt.

Thanks, I’ll try avoiding them for a bit.

the holy poopacy posted:

1. Probably not the best Neow blessing choice. Between this and your comment on the cultist fight I think you might be too focused on small HP advantages. That's commendable in its own way, attrition is a problem and it's good that you're on top of it, but the start of the run is the time to sacrifice HP for advantages to help your deck snowball faster.

Remember that you can look at the map before you make your blessing choice. In this circumstance, I would have gone for the rare card and gone for this route. Don't think of giving up your starting gold as a penalty, think of it as getting a free shop with a big discount so that you don't have to worry about pathing for one.

2. I'm not sure that I'm actually getting all the same draws as you but I had a guaranteed 0 damage fight against the cultist, drawing Vigilance/Eruption/Defend/Defend/Defend. Having 0 strikes T1 meant that I knew there would be 4 strikes T2, so T1 Eruption -> Miracle + Strike x4 is a clean kill. Again, 7 damage on one of the first floors isn't something you need to sweat super badly but as a general note you do need to keep an eye out for this kind of opening to go into wrath.

3. As mentioned, Bowling Bash is almost certainly a better option here than Pressure Points. PP is fine if you're hard up for attack damage but Bowling Bash is a great find.

4. Again, Reach Heaven over Tranquility here. Reach Heaven is not great but it's a lot of damage, and it's particularly good in fights that drag on which Act 1 elites are somewhat prone to.

5. I think I'm seeing the same shop rolls as you as I see Prostrate and Apotheosis. This is a fairly bad shop, although you could have gone for Crush Joints (or Rushdown, if you were feeling gutsy.) But you had another shop coming up right afterwards, so there was no reason to spend money here--the next shop would have a removal anyhow and even on sale Prostrate is worth skipping to see what the next shop has. If anything, you might have contemplated a potion here as there are some good ones available, but this probably wouldn't have changed much without better attacks in the deck--if I rolled into this shop with what you had, I would hold onto my money and hope that the next shop had something to bail me out (and if the seed RNG holds up, it looks like there's a discount Sands of Time available, which just might have worked.)

Weirdly I'm getting different card/relic draws but I'm getting the same Neow blessings, ? rooms, and possibly shops? So some of this advice may not apply, but the big ones are just slam pick big attack cards in Act 1 and try to avoid spending gold on marginal stuff when there's a shop coming up, which are just good general guidelines.

This is great feedback as well. Thank you. I probably don’t do enough thinking about what my current draw means for my next one early in Act 1, as you surmised.

No Wave posted:

Watching youtube videos will make you a lot better guaranteed if you're interested in it. The watcher specifically has a very meta progression to her runs that takes her from confusing and hard to easy mode.

Any particular streamer/video I should take a look at first for Watcher?

AdmiralViscen posted:

It’s good to take the burning elite in act 1, but not necessarily if its floor 7. And if it is floor 7 you absolutely want to take all of your easy pool fights and avoid question marks so you make sure you get the damage output you need to win. You can take finicky stuff like prostrate later on. The first half of act 1 you need raw damage output

Edit - the first three combats in act 1 (and first two in acts 2 and 3) are against a separate pool of easier enemies. You want to make sure you get all of these before an elite so you can stock up on cards/potions/money and come at the first elite of the act in as strong a position as possible. With the above screen shot i would not have gone after the burning elite in act 1, that’s a brutal path

I did forget about the first three fights being from the earlier pool. So if I can’t get those three fights out of the way before an elite, I’m better off to pass it up entirely?

ChikoDemono posted:

That was a fun seed. Did a boss swap, went down the middle path for 3 regular elites. Ended up fighting 4 due to an event in the first act. Never was in any danger, most HP lost was to the first boss.

My strategy was play as many cards as I could, vault, then do it again.

Wow. A much different experience than I had, for sure. Someday maybe I’ll get to that point :)

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Referee posted:

I don’t recall the rest of the map but I was under the impression I should try to knock out the +elite in Act 1 if at all possible. Maybe this is part of the problem. I’ve had really bad luck trying this in later Acts (Book of Stabbing always seems to be the Act 2 +elite and wrecks me).
Others have given good feedback but I just gotta say that I disagree with this strongly - you should go out of your way to fight the +elite in act 1 only if you really want to kill the bonus optional boss, which I don't think you should be bothering with at all. My opinion and all, but don't bother with the heart until you can start a game on ascension 1 and consistently expect to win. All you have to do to "win" is finish act 3, worry about that.

(I don't really like the heart much and don't usually bother myself, and it certainly hadn't been added to the game when I was learning the basics.)

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

I brushed off some of the salt from earlier and tried again with some of the earlier feedback in mind. Here’s another one:

A1 Watcher, Seed- 3P5CSPKCDPALH

F0- 3 combats at 1 HP

Left path (theoretically possible to path to fire elite w 1 Hp but not guaranteed, three ? Rooms. Rather get some cards and try for it in Act 2)

F1- Cultist. Took Consecrate for damage over Halt and Study.

F2- Jaw Worm. Battle Hymn over a second Consecrate and Simmering Fury.

F3- Louse x2. Took Deceive Reality over Follow Up and Prostrate.

F4- Louse, Looter. Took 14 damage (58/72). Took Wheel Kick over Simmering Fury and Tranquility but didn’t feel great about any of them. Simmering Fury seems too unpredictable for this deck at present with no guaranteed way out of Wrath and I’m not sure I have the energy to take advantage of extra cards?

F5- Fungi Beast, Acid Slime. Took 1 damage (57/72). Took Empty Body over Evaluate and Weave to get another option to exit stance.

F6- Fire. I could fight an Elite here but not confident I’ll survive it. Upgraded Wheel Kick.

F7- ? Floor- Fungi Beast x2. Took Establishment over Crush Joints and Cut Through Fate. I’m not sure I’ve had this card much before but with Deceive Reality it’s a source of free block (if I don’t need it right away) plus the Smites will be free from Battle Hymn if I wait a turn also? This choice may be off base, I’d love feedback here.

F8- Fire. Upgraded Establishment to make it innate.

F9- treasure. Happy Flower.

F10- tried an Elite, it’s Gremlin Nob. Took 7 damage (50/72). Got The Courier relic. Took Cut Through Fate this time over Sash Whip and Flying Sleeves.

F11- Fire. Upgraded Cut Through Fate (my other thought was Consecrate).

F12- Slaver. Took 5 damage (45/72). Took Halt over Sanctity and Evaluate.

F13- ? floor- the Woman in Blue. I have two potions (Block, Distilled Chaos). Chose to buy 1 potion, it was another Distilled Chaos.

F14- Acid Slime (L). Took 1 damage (44/72). Took Conclude over Empty Fist and Flurry of Blows.

F15- Fire. Think I can get away with not healing here and still win the Act, so upgrade Battle Hymn to make it innate and set up recurring cheap/free damage.

F16- Slime Boss. Was right, went into Wrath turn 1 and took no damage, killed him Turn 3 before he could split. Offered a second Establishment, Brillance, and Alpha. Not taking Brillance as I have no Mantra in this deck and don’t need a second Establishment, so I guess Alpha it is. Relic choice is Slaver’s Collar, Runic Pyramid, Pandora’s Box. Went for Pandora as I checked to make sure Pyramid didn’t work with Establishment. Received Swivel/Halt/Rushdown/Wave of the Hand/Tranquility/Bowling Bash/Sanctity/Cut Through Fate. Nothing gamebreaking here, I don’t think, but could be interesting.

Act 2- far-right path with two ? Floors in first 3 rooms

F17- Looter and Mugger. Took 8 damage (64/72). Took Worship+ over Halt+ (this would have been my 3rd) and Sash Whip.

F18- ? Floor, it’s a Merchant. I have another Merchant opportunity if I want it next floor. Bought Talk to the Hand and a second Battle Hymn and decided to save another Merchant for later.

F19- Shelled Parasite. Gained 3 health during this fight via Regen potion (67/72). Took Flurry of Blows+ over Bowling Bash and CTF #3.

F20- Centurion and Mystic. Rough fight, took 20 damage (47/72). Took a second Talk to the Hand over two options I forgot to notate.

F21- Shelled Parasite and Fungi Beast. Couldn’t find a way to get around the 27 damage on turn 3 from the Parasite, wound up taking 31 total (16/72). Passed on Empty Body, Sash Whip and Follow Up.

F22- Elite, Taskmaster and two Slavers. Opening hand has a total of 3 block playing all cards vs 32 incoming damage. Fairy in a Bottle saved the turn but left me 8 HP going into turn 2 and that was GG on turn 4 after a couple of lucky draws.

I think this deck got too big and unwieldy after Pandora’s Box and like most decks I construct didn’t seem to have a cohesive plan of winning. I guess I could have/should have taken Runic Pyramid instead and proceeded from there.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I think you are taking too many hallways fights in act 1. A balance where you fight more elites but take more question mark rooms would be better. Act 1 question marks can give you all sorts of nice things like extra cards, transforms, relics, money, and card removes.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I think you are taking too many hallways fights in act 1. A balance where you fight more elites but take more question mark rooms would be better. Act 1 question marks can give you all sorts of nice things like extra cards, transforms, relics, money, and card removes.

I don’t have the map in front of me, but I think my planned path on that last run was 2 Elites in Act 1, passed on one of them due to low HP right before it. Still too few at 2? Should I be aiming for 3?

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I usually see Sneko Eye in the boss rewards after Act 1, and at that point, regardless of character, I usually have all 0 and 1 cost cards, and maybe two or three cost, so I pass it up. I see tons of people talking about how good it is - do you pick it and then start open-palm slapping high cost picks? Doesn't it screw you in the fights until you can do so?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Harriet Carker posted:

I usually see Sneko Eye in the boss rewards after Act 1, and at that point, regardless of character, I usually have all 0 and 1 cost cards, and maybe two or three cost, so I pass it up. I see tons of people talking about how good it is - do you pick it and then start open-palm slapping high cost picks? Doesn't it screw you in the fights until you can do so?

You're probably being way too shy about taking higher cost cards to start with. You do need to be careful about taking slow expensive cards Act 1 but there are tons of fantastic staple attacks for 2 energy for basically all characters. You also really want those bigger cards so that you have something to spend energy on once you start getting energy relics from bosses (which are definitely something you want, especially if you're virtuously foregoing Snecko.) Having a super cheap deck is only appealing if you're at 3 energy, which is something you want to get away from ASAP anyhow, and even then it's not enough to be worth foregoing the big cards.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Imo, when it comes to pathing in act 1 your goal should be to kill as many elites as possible to make your deck as strong as possible. To do that, you need cards and potions both of which are most reliably found in hallway fights. The other half of the equation is your health, so taking too many hallways can actually be detrimental to that goal which is why sprinkling in some question marks are sometimes a good idea. That said, many question mark events in act 1 also do health damage and rarely give you the potions, cards and health you need to defeat elites. The rewards are usually ok, but tend to give more long term benefits like card removals or cash. Obviously, if you have a curse or a shop coming up those things can be very helpful right now, so it's really hard to make general rules about anything really.

On top of all that, the amount of health loss you take during hallway fights is also relative to the strength of your deck, especially your blocking. If you have good blocking in your deck, you should prioritize hallways The only absolute piece of advice I could give would be to favor later elites over early elites because it gives you more time to get stronger before the challenge

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Referee posted:

F4- Louse, Looter. Took 14 damage (58/72). Took Wheel Kick over Simmering Fury and Tranquility but didn’t feel great about any of them. Simmering Fury seems too unpredictable for this deck at present with no guaranteed way out of Wrath and I’m not sure I have the energy to take advantage of extra cards?

Not sure why you didn't feel great about Wheel Kick, Wheel Kick is great! Also re: Simmering fury, remember that one way to leave Wrath is to kill everything in front of you, especially in Act 1.

quote:

F7- ? Floor- Fungi Beast x2. Took Establishment over Crush Joints and Cut Through Fate. I’m not sure I’ve had this card much before but with Deceive Reality it’s a source of free block (if I don’t need it right away) plus the Smites will be free from Battle Hymn if I wait a turn also? This choice may be off base, I’d love feedback here.

Yeah, I don't love that call. I get the appeal of an unending stream of 0 cost Smites, but now you've got two cards in a fairly small deck that don't do anything the turn they are played, and establishment might not even do anything the first two turns its played. Crush Joints and Cut Through Fate are both great cards in the early game, and I would have happily taken one of them over Establishment.

quote:

And now you've spent an upgrade floor on making sure you have a card that doesn't do anything in your opening hand. Upgrade Eruption here instead. A one cost Eruption is a really good card.

quote:

F16- Slime Boss. Was right, went into Wrath turn 1 and took no damage, killed him Turn 3 before he could split. Offered a second Establishment, Brillance, and Alpha. Not taking Brillance as I have no Mantra in this deck and don’t need a second Establishment, so I guess Alpha it is. Relic choice is Slaver’s Collar, Runic Pyramid, Pandora’s Box.

Even with no mantra, and no intention of picking up mantra Brilliance is still a Smite. 12 damage for one energy is pretty darn good. It's certainly better than adding yet another card that doesn't do anything when you play it. You're already skipping out on up front damage to set up your Battle Hymn + Establishment thing, don't add another, worse version of the same thing.

quote:

F18- ? Floor, it’s a Merchant. I have another Merchant opportunity if I want it next floor. Bought Talk to the Hand and a second Battle Hymn and decided to save another Merchant for later.

Decks that want two Battle Hymns are a very rare breed. I'm not saying it's never the right pick, but it's a niche enough case that unless you are very confident in how good your decision making is, you should probably take it at as a rule to never pick more than one per deck.

quote:

F22- Elite, Taskmaster and two Slavers. Opening hand has a total of 3 block playing all cards vs 32 incoming damage. Fairy in a Bottle saved the turn but left me 8 HP going into turn 2 and that was GG on turn 4 after a couple of lucky draws.

You've got two innate cards that don't do anything the turn you play them, which means you are effectively drawing 3 cards on the first turn of each combat. And eventually that led to you getting punched in the face. The first turn of the fight is important, if you are going to have innate cards, you need some way of compensating for them.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Referee posted:

I brushed off some of the salt from earlier and tried again with some of the earlier feedback in mind. Here’s another one:

For some reason, these seeds don't work for me. PC, every character at A20, main release 2.2, or beta 2.3. The fights are the same, but the card choices after combat are different.

The simplest advice I have for your watcher runs is to stop loving around with trying to be cute, and take damage cards. Kill poo poo harder and faster. Establishment does not kill poo poo. Alpha does not kill poo poo. Deva Form does not kill poo poo. Cut Through Fate kills poo poo. Wheel Kick kills poo poo. Wrath stance with attacks kills poo poo. Every energy you spend on some card that promises to do cool stuff in the future is an energy you're not spending on winning the fight.

Follow a soft rule of always taking the highest damage card for the first half of act 1, then building around that. That will push you towards the main base of how Watcher wins, dealing gently caress loads of damage very quickly. Once you get that down, you can try loving around with cute stuff and being able to pull it off.

jetz0r fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jan 24, 2022

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

jetz0r posted:

For some reason, these seeds don't work for me. PC, every character at A20, main release 2.2, or beta 2.3. The fights are the same, but the card choices after combat are different.

The simplest advice I have for your watcher runs is to stop loving around with trying to be cute, and take damage cards. Kill poo poo harder and faster. Establishment does not kill poo poo. Alpha does not kill poo poo. Deva Form does not kill poo poo. Cut Through Fate kills poo poo. Wheel Kick kills poo poo. Wrath stance with attacks kills poo poo. Every energy you spend on some card that promises to do cool stuff in the future is an energy you're not spending on winning the fight.

Follow a soft rule of always taking the highest damage card for the first half of act 1, then building around that. That will push you towards the main base of how Watcher wins, dealing gently caress loads of damage very quickly. Once you get that down, you can try loving around with cute stuff and being able to pull it off.

Yeah, it's pretty much this, you basically have to survive first 2/3 turns of a fight, then go into wrath and kill as much as possible.

The only situation where I would pick Establishment is if I had really bad luck and the only scaling damage I could find act 1 is Windmill Strike or Sands of Time. And even then, I'd only pick it after I had a bunch of good retain cards, like Carve Reality or Protect, straightforward cards that do an acceptable job for their cost.

I tried this seed and got different cards as well, not sure what's going on. Is this on Switch?

A Moose fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jan 24, 2022

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Any tips for running Silent on higher ascendancies? That always seems to be the hardest class for me.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

DaveWoo posted:

Any tips for running Silent on higher ascendancies? That always seems to be the hardest class for me.

Get good attacks act 1. Probably don't fight an elite on the lowest floor they can spawn on. Beware of Gremlin Nob and don't take a bunch of block/poison cards in the first few floors. Make sure you have enough damage to kill Lagavulin though. Wraith Form is the single best card in the entire game. Don't limit yourself to poison or shivs early on. Pick whatever makes things dead fast.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

DaveWoo posted:

Post seeds please! Otherwise it's like someone saying "can you provide tips on solving my Rubix Cube?" And us replying "you have to make all the sides one color"

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jan 24, 2022

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Referee posted:

F0- 3 combats at 1 HP

Left path (theoretically possible to path to fire elite w 1 Hp but not guaranteed, three ? Rooms. Rather get some cards and try for it in Act 2)

F1- Cultist. Took Consecrate for damage over Halt and Study.

F2- Jaw Worm. Battle Hymn over a second Consecrate and Simmering Fury.

F3- Louse x2. Took Deceive Reality over Follow Up and Prostrate.

F5- Fungi Beast, Acid Slime. Took 1 damage (57/72). Took Empty Body over Evaluate and Weave to get another option to exit stance.

F6- Fire. I could fight an Elite here but not confident I’ll survive it. Upgraded Wheel Kick.

F9- treasure. Happy Flower.

F10- tried an Elite, it’s Gremlin Nob. Took 7 damage (50/72). Got The Courier relic. Took Cut Through Fate this time over Sash Whip and Flying Sleeves.

F11- Fire. Upgraded Cut Through Fate (my other thought was Consecrate).

F12- Slaver. Took 5 damage (45/72). Took Halt over Sanctity and Evaluate.

F13- ? floor- the Woman in Blue. I have two potions (Block, Distilled Chaos). Chose to buy 1 potion, it was another Distilled Chaos.

F14- Acid Slime (L). Took 1 damage (44/72). Took Conclude over Empty Fist and Flurry of Blows.

F15- Fire. Think I can get away with not healing here and still win the Act, so upgrade Battle Hymn to make it innate and set up recurring cheap/free damage.

F16- Slime Boss. Was right, went into Wrath turn 1 and took no damage, killed him Turn 3 before he could split. Offered a second Establishment, Brillance, and Alpha. Not taking Brillance as I have no Mantra in this deck and don’t need a second Establishment, so I guess Alpha it is. Relic choice is Slaver’s Collar, Runic Pyramid, Pandora’s Box. Went for Pandora as I checked to make sure Pyramid didn’t work with Establishment. Received Swivel/Halt/Rushdown/Wave of the Hand/Tranquility/Bowling Bash/Sanctity/Cut Through Fate. Nothing gamebreaking here, I don’t think, but could be interesting.

Act 2- far-right path with two ? Floors in first 3 rooms

F17- Looter and Mugger. Took 8 damage (64/72). Took Worship+ over Halt+ (this would have been my 3rd) and Sash Whip.

F19- Shelled Parasite. Gained 3 health during this fight via Regen potion (67/72). Took Flurry of Blows+ over Bowling Bash and CTF #3.

F20- Centurion and Mystic. Rough fight, took 20 damage (47/72). Took a second Talk to the Hand over two options I forgot to notate.

F21- Shelled Parasite and Fungi Beast. Couldn’t find a way to get around the 27 damage on turn 3 from the Parasite, wound up taking 31 total (16/72). Passed on Empty Body, Sash Whip and Follow Up.

I think this deck got too big and unwieldy after Pandora’s Box and like most decks I construct didn’t seem to have a cohesive plan of winning. I guess I could have/should have taken Runic Pyramid instead and proceeded from there.

Oh okay, this was super helpful. Basically you are trying to solve the endgame puzzle too early. For the most part, the strategy should be
1. Can I fight a few elites and path through some upgrades?
If so
2. Do I have enough to beat the act 1 boss?
If so
3. Do I have what it takes to get through the act 2 hallway fights
If so
4. Do I have what it takes to beat the act 2 boss?
If so
5. THEN can I solve the endgame fights. This is where I start thinking about stuff like "should I pick establishment"

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Referee posted:

https://twitch.tv/videos/1275078952

Had a good time working through this with my kids, thanks!

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Drunk Nerds posted:

https://twitch.tv/videos/1275078952

Had a good time working through this with my kids, thanks!

I started watching your vod and its a little off center. Can't see the bottom of the screen or the cards in your hand. It was a fun run though!

I'm just wondering why I was getting different cards with that seed. I might try it anyway just because

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

A Moose posted:

I started watching your vod and its a little off center. Can't see the bottom of the screen or the cards in your hand. It was a fun run though!

I'm just wondering why I was getting different cards with that seed. I might try it anyway just because

yeah I don't know why that is. Streaming from Xbox to PC to twitch must have some issues, as it usually works. Prob a reset will fix it. You can still see my card choices which is the big difference maker.

Do you have all cards unlocked for the watcher? That would be a big difference.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Referee posted:

So after playing it myself and reviewing your choices, I think you can Pass a lot more during card rewards screens. Several times you picked a card when you "didn't feel good about any of them." That's an opportunity to pass. Remember, passing means you have a much better chance of drawing a card you did feel good about picking over whatever card you didn't feel good about picking.

Also with the watcher you want to attack elites early and often, which is usually different than the other three classes. Heck the silent can't even beat Lagavulin with it's starting deck, ever. So we get this urgency to pick cards no matter what that can carry over to the watcher unnecessarily: The watcher can torch any elite on floor 1. Note that I tried for the burning elite snipe, failed, then stopped and looked at my cards to see if I could deal 100 damage in the first three turns... once I realized I could I said "screw it" and confidently went after the full health burning elite anyway. Getting those early relics out of the hopper so I could have a better chance at the "run-making relics" was what mattered. Once I got that shruiken I just built around it a bit and was pretty much unstoppable from there on out.

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jan 25, 2022

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Drunk Nerds posted:

yeah I don't know why that is. Streaming from Xbox to PC to twitch must have some issues, as it usually works. Prob a reset will fix it. You can still see my card choices which is the big difference maker.

Do you have all cards unlocked for the watcher? That would be a big difference.

yeah, I have all the cards. I also had different Neow blessings, I didn't realize until I saw your stream that I was only supposed to have the 2 options.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

A Moose posted:

yeah, I have all the cards. I also had different Neow blessings, I didn't realize until I saw your stream that I was only supposed to have the 2 options.

No, I had all four options, two were cut off. When you enter a seed you always get four options.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Drunk Nerds posted:

No, I had all four options, two were cut off. When you enter a seed you always get four options.

Unless you didn't reach the Act 1 boss on your last run, of course.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Jedit posted:

Unless you didn't reach the Act 1 boss on your last run, of course.

I think you may have misread. ANY time you manually enter a seed you get 4 Neow choices. It is impossible to get only 2 neow choices when a seed is manually inputted, without some kind of mod.

Speaking of which, I'd love to do another community seed. I'm at A20 heartkill with IC on PC and xbox, but can't seen to get past A15 on Galaxy.

So I'm doing IC A15 seed BOOGERS if anyone wants to compare notes

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jan 25, 2022

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

When I roll, baby I roll DEEP
After an embarrassingly large number of hours I finally got my first heart kill. Ironclad on ascension 5. Dropped a fat heavy blade to kill it with 1hp left over after taking the beat of death. Thank you snecko eye and brimstone. PRAISE SNECKO.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

metachronos posted:

PRAISE SNECKO.

Just had another run today at ascension 14, because I'm getting all my characters to ascension 20 on PC since I only had watcher at like, 12 before playing a bunch on my phone. Watcher is maybe the worst character for Snecko Eye, but I seriously can't lose when its offered. I can only think of a couple times I've turned it down. It's like the opposite of Frozen Eye where you don't know what you're going to get and you have to figure out what the most you can do each turn is.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Drunk Nerds posted:

Post seeds please! Otherwise it's like someone saying "can you provide tips on solving my Rubix Cube?" And us replying "you have to make all the sides one color"

Okay, here's an A20 Silent seed I've been trying to do:

PLTEG3L9XE0Y

I usually make it up to the Act 2 elites, at which point I get wiped out.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I’ve never had the misfortune until today of being in a fight with the spine shapes where they can’t hurt me, I can’t defend enough to deal damage to them, and correct play is to wait for dozens of turns until my bronze scales knock out fifty HP.

And god willing, I never will again.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

nrook posted:

I’ve never had the misfortune until today of being in a fight with the spine shapes where they can’t hurt me, I can’t defend enough to deal damage to them, and correct play is to wait for dozens of turns until my bronze scales knock out fifty HP.

And god willing, I never will again.

Lmfao what did you do to get to this position? How many spines were there?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Cpt_Obvious posted:

The Four Shapes encounter can't have more than two of any of the three types, but even one Spiker is enough to end up in that position if it hits 19 thorns before you can start hitting it. Once that happens it will attack for base 9 every turn, requiring you to be able to block for 28 if you want to attack without getting hurt.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Some friends and I got booked for a playtesting session for the Slay the Spire board game on February 8th, I can't wait! :D

I wasn't the one who booked it, but apparently you just need to join the Contention Games discord and message the head guy.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jan 27, 2022

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Yeah, I also need to hear more about this. Were you a little too squeamish about hitting it when it only had like 5-6 thorns, or did it take too long to kill the other shapes? Did you only have slowly scaling damage but not block?

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
I've definitely been in that position a couple times. There was at least one time I remember where as Defect I had some extra orb slots and a lot of frost generation, but I had removed Zap and didn't have any focus, so I sat there with some frost orbs and my 1 Cracked Core lightning orb just playing a couple defends or whatever, slowly killing 2 spikers 3 damage at a time.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

A Moose posted:

Yeah, I also need to hear more about this. Were you a little too squeamish about hitting it when it only had like 5-6 thorns, or did it take too long to kill the other shapes? Did you only have slowly scaling damage but not block?

How have you not seen this? The thorns guys are often the last one to kill (exploder + dazer first) and if they buff a few times in a row and there's two of them, then it's welp.

If you have a way to block 9 damage and slowly chip them to death why not just wait it out?

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Let's just say that while Like Water is a great defensive card, it has some weak points when it comes to giving me defense before my attacks actually happen.

The worst part was that I still had to play cards to survive. In addition to 2 Like Waters I had a Meditate, some card draw, and two defensive cards, and it was a very small deck, so there was no real chance of me taking damage, but I still had to plan out each turn and couldn't mash end turn.

So it goes.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
Speaking of interminably long fights where you can't take damage and have to slowly chip the enemy down, this just happened to me:

2 feel no pains making me never take damage, super sentries with regeneration, and I'm ending the fight with 107 cards in the exhaust pile. 0 damage superelite fight, but it took at least thirty turns.

edit: they offered me a third feel no pain and an orihalchum. lol

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

thexerox123 posted:

Some friends and I got booked for a playtesting session for the Slay the Spire board game on February 8th, I can't wait! :D

I wasn't the one who booked it, but apparently you just need to join the Contention Games discord and message the head guy.

Is there an NDA or will you be able to share what it was like?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

When I roll, baby I roll DEEP

DontMockMySmock posted:

Speaking of interminably long fights where you can't take damage and have to slowly chip the enemy down, this just happened to me:

2 feel no pains making me never take damage, super sentries with regeneration, and I'm ending the fight with 107 cards in the exhaust pile. 0 damage superelite fight, but it took at least thirty turns.

edit: they offered me a third feel no pain and an orihalchum. lol

I love orichalcum. I feel like my favorite IC strat is combust+rupture+brutality. Tank hits to the face and reload health with a big 'ole reaper.