Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

BULBASAUR posted:

There have been over 100 international delegations to that province who found nothing. Of course the Americans are also invited, they just don't go... so they just keep up the rhetoric

The revelation that the prisons in Xinjiang are probably in better state than those in the US would be damning

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

As long as the party doing it is aligned with US interests and the people are free to move to Israel, it might not even be a problem.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

quote:

and will certainly eclipse it in the coming decades.

Not a certainty at all. China's demographic crisis + the extent to which China is vulnerable to climate catastrophe alone are enough to put this assertion very much in doubt.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
anyway let's talk about how Russia is definitely going to invade another country during winter

the great winter offensive

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Not So Fast posted:

The revelation that the prisons in Xinjiang are probably in better state than those in the US would be damning

thats an unfair advantage. lets see how those prisons are doing in 100 years. i'd like to see them try and contain the black irish

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

Homeless Friend posted:

thats an unfair advantage. lets see how those prisons are doing in 100 years. i'd like to see them try and contain the black irish

lmao

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

goddammit lol

https://twitter.com/haaretzcom/status/1485493567497785349

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

quote:

Shekhovtsov's works have been featured on/at OpenDemocracy[2], the Chatham House,[3] Foreign Affairs[4], the Carnegie Council for Ethics in International Affairs[5] and the Aspen Institute.[6]

Anton Shekhovtsov is Director of the Centre for Democratic Integrity (Austria), Senior Fellow at the Free Russia Foundation (USA), and an expert at the European Platform for Democratic Elections (Germany). His most recent book is "Russia and the Western Far Right: Tango Noir" (Routledge, 2018). Twitter: @A_SHEKH0VTS0V

quote:

In the rising multipolar world, Russia is unable to compete with the global superpower poles such as the U.S., the EU or China. Russia does not rank even in the Top 10 of the world’s economies, and its political project is attractive only for the far Right and regressive Left.

Threatening the further invasion of Ukraine is Moscow’s chance to extort attention from the only power for which it has genuine respect, America, and be treated as if it is legitimately a pole of pre-eminent power in the multipolar world. In this sense, Ukraine is a hostage in the hands of a terrorist who demands to talk directly to the authorities, or else.
Putin is just being a Karen and demanding to speak to the manager of NATO.

:hmmyes:

quote:

and well-off "tankies" who will condone any action somehow aimed against NATO.
drat, imagine still being this mad about Taintrunner.

Lostconfused has issued a correction as of 22:37 on Jan 25, 2022

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

God drat rich tankies.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Majorian posted:

Not a certainty at all. China's demographic crisis + the extent to which China is vulnerable to climate catastrophe alone are enough to put this assertion very much in doubt.

If China and North Korea can maintain a civilization at all, that means they've eclipsed the rest of us in the coming decades.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

The last page is literally the first time I have read any dissenting views against the idea that China is imprisoning, enslaving, medically operating on, and genociding Uyghurs... I didn't even know it was a question that they were horribly abusing these people. I would certainly be happy to hear that it is bullshit, as I otherwise find China pretty fascinating and not horrible, although like any nation they have plenty of other issues.

Is there a good article I can read that puts forth the claim that all of the Uyghur stories are untrue?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Lostconfused posted:

Putin is just being a Karen and demanding to speak to the manager of NATO.

:hmmyes:

The denial of Russian power is really something. Russia maintains the most powerful military in Europe because they're spending a massive percentage of their meager GDP on it (4.3% compared to America's 3.7%) yet nevertheless it's there. It's fascinating how people can look at economic power in purely ideological terms this way. Russia's economy is still poo poo so they must be a third rate power, even though the only country with more nukes than them is the United States.

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

blue squares posted:

The last page is literally the first time I have read any dissenting views against the idea that China is imprisoning, enslaving, medically operating on, and genociding Uyghurs... I didn't even know it was a question that they were horribly abusing these people. I would certainly be happy to hear that it is bullshit, as I otherwise find China pretty fascinating and not horrible, although like any nation they have plenty of other issues.

Is there a good article I can read that puts forth the claim that all of the Uyghur stories are untrue?

someone link the twitter thread deconstructing and destroying the Adrian Zenz please

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/cspan/status/1485692720496664585?s=20
SACRED OBLIGATION

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

blue squares posted:

not that china didn't gently caress poo poo up but ppl keep mentioning all this. where do you get the idea that china is imprisoning, enslaving, medically operating on, and genociding uyghurs? or is it just falling back on rhetoric....

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Homeless Friend posted:

not that china didn't gently caress poo poo up but ppl keep mentioning all this. where do you get the idea that china is imprisoning, enslaving, medically operating on, and genociding uyghurs? or is it just falling back on rhetoric....

Are you serious? There's countless stories making all of these claims. If you google "Uyghurs" that's what you see.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Homeless Friend posted:

probably the new york times, washington post, npr, politico, reddit, or elsewhere on these very forums

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
wheres the numbers

millions

not saying china didnt gently caress poo poo up. but, ppl keep mentioning millions

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

blue squares posted:

the UN human rights council has a report on Xinjiang coming out soon, I think they're waiting until after the olympics to publish it. Hopefully it's good news and all is well there

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

If you read those stories and start looking for any evidence to back them up you end up with this:

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The goalposts have shifted on Xinjiang genocide from, "they're murdering Uighurs," to "cultural genocide," to "prison is genocide." The whole affair ends up moving the goalposts to American penitentiaries, but nobody is talking about divesting from the US. Even the microtargeting of divestment from the products of "Xinjiang" or "slave labor" are a pathetic form of liberal theater trying to minimize any actual consequences from this hysteria.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

blue squares posted:

There isn't any one killshot article out there. The problem is that we're confronted with Bush-era thinking, in which the absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence - so a lot of "evidence" is baked into representing facilities that aren't real. Like, a large facility with a barbed wire fence is actually a school, not a prison. The only real response is to deconstruct the evidence, and since 90% of what the international community considers evidence comes from Adrian Zenz he's the obvious point of focus.

http://en.people.cn/n3/2021/0207/c90000-9817088.html

This article is pretty weak, but the overview on Zenz is all true.

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Homeless Friend posted:

wheres the numbers

millions

not saying china didnt gently caress poo poo up. but, ppl keep mentioning millions

couldnt resist the siren song of gbs posting. sucks.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

blue squares posted:

lol the organ harvesting thing was a bit of a tell dude not even the Zenz crowd pushes that anymore, that's pure Falun Gong invention

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I like the Grayzone articles on Xinjiang http://thegrayzone.com/tag/uighurs/

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Majorian posted:

China GDP is already 150% that of the US in material terms and the US very clearly has its own issues with climate change and demographics. The West Coast was slammed this year.

Honestly, it already happens and it will take a few more years for the rest of the world to figure it out.

—-

This whole invasion thing may just come down to the Russians positioning troops to support the separatists, and it has been hyped up that the Russians now pretty much have to invade Ukraine.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 23:08 on Jan 25, 2022

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

copy posted:

couldnt resist the siren song of gbs posting. sucks.

lol im just copy pasting the gbs poster that got THS put in the slammer. im gonna do it around the forum until i get banned because, conceptually, thats really funny

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

"eastern flank countries" is really giving up the game there, isn't it?

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

In Training posted:

I like the Grayzone articles on Xinjiang http://thegrayzone.com/tag/uighurs/

The grayzone ones are really good. They also cite their sources so you can actually go and take a look for stuff yourself.

Alternatively you can also do this

https://twitter.com/muenzenberg_w/status/1466800922005225480?cxt=HHwWkICyhdnqj9soAAAA

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

https://twitter.com/rodericday/status/1287411708374454273?lang=en

https://thepeoplesdistillery.wordpress.com/2020/05/26/china-is-not-eradicating-islam/

https://www.qiaocollective.com/education/xinjiang

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Not So Fast posted:

This is an extremely low bar

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

blue squares posted:

Are you serious? There's countless stories making all of these claims. If you google "Uyghurs" that's what you see.

just fyi the guy behind all of the claims of uygher genocide and cited by every major publication is adrian zenz, a senior fellow at the victims of communism foundation, an organization dedicated, for some reason, to insisting that communism has killed more people than fascism. zenz is a no-doubt 100% blackblooded Neo Nazi of the modern age, a government asset who has spent his entire career updating all of the Nazi party’s ideology about communists for the modern anglosphere.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Majorian posted:

However, it's possible the climate crisis is overblown and will not actually be that bad, in which case China is looking prettty good

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Ardennes posted:

China GDP is already 150% that of the US in material terms and the US very clearly has its own issues with climate change and demographics. The West Coast was slammed this year.

Honestly, it already happens and it will take a few more years for the rest of the world to figure it out.

USA is having its own demographic crisis right now thanks to COVID. Large parts of the working age population are either out because of the disease or are forced to take care of someone that is. Who knows what the long term consequences of exposing large swathes of your population to it will be.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Cpt_Obvious posted:

This is an extremely low bar

I mean that's why the US has to crank up the allegations to full scale Nazi style industrial genocide, if it's just "yeah they're being lovely to an ethnic minority" that invites too much of the dreaded whataboutism

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

scary ghost dog posted:

just fyi the guy behind all of the claims of uygher genocide and cited by every major publication is adrian zenz, a senior fellow at the victims of communism foundation, an organization dedicated, for some reason, to insisting that communism has killed more people than fascism. zenz is a no-doubt 100% blackblooded Neo Nazi of the modern age, a government asset who has spent his entire career updating all of the Nazi party’s ideology about communists for the modern anglosphere.

Weird how all the "victims" of communism have such stylish arm bands.

Best not to think about it.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Ardennes posted:

China's deficiencies in GDP per capita are also made up by their ability to produce everything at lower cost, and sell them at lower prices. So even if they've only just barely eliminated abject poverty, you're still looking at 500 million people with lifestyles comparable to an American's.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
​​Croatia's president says it will not send troops if Russia-Ukraine conflict escalates

quote:

President Zoran Milanović, a Social Democrat, said on Tuesday that the country would not be sending troops to the region if tensions continue to simmer.

"Croatia will not send any troops in case of an escalation. On the contrary, it will recall all troops, to the last Croatian soldier," Milanović said while at a confectionery factory on a visit, according to the news outlet, which cited several media reports.

Milanović noted that the developments were happening in the "antechamber of Russia," adding that "one must reach a deal that will take account of the security interests of Russia."

quote:

But Croatian Foreign Minister Gordan Grlić-Radman, affiliated with the center right government, disputed the president's comments, saying that Croatia remained loyal to NATO and that the president did serve as the voice of Croatia, Politico Europe reported.

"[T]he president does not speak for Croatia, but for himself. We are and will remain a loyal member of NATO. Everything we do, we do in consultation with our partners," Grlić-Radman said to a journalist with the German newspaper, Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung.

Some intergovernmental conflict in Croatia about what to do if things go hot.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

If China and North Korea can maintain a civilization at all, that means they've eclipsed the rest of us in the coming decades.

*cough* syq *cough*

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Homeless Friend posted:

lol im just copy pasting the gbs poster that got THS put in the slammer. im gonna do it around the forum until i get banned because, conceptually, thats really funny

oh i thought it was to point out the absurdity of that post from the closed gbs thread. well i guess what youre proposing accomplishes that too tho lol. god speed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Homeless Friend posted:

Propaganda of the deed, comrade. Goonspeed!