Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Lol nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
got a job offer at my old employer and it's way easier to ask for more money when you've already seen the salary charts from the union.

fuckin pay me.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

kingcobweb posted:

I’m sure DNC leadership is unbelievably not mad about this

idgi, why would they care?

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Stringent posted:

idgi, why would they care?

why does any boss not want a union? fundamentally, it’s about giving the workers more of a day in the workplace. DNC doesn’t want workers having power to not work 70+ hour weeks for no reason, etc.

edit: nv dems was the most strictly hierarchical organization I’ve ever worked for and I’m sure the DNC is similar

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

got a job offer at my old employer and it's way easier to ask for more money when you've already seen the salary charts from the union.

fuckin pay me.

https://twitter.com/calebfiles/status/1478436605421572106

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

god drat that owns

first labor action at a newly-unionized starbucks:

https://twitter.com/MorePerfectUS/status/1478821897202806786

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
https://mobile.twitter.com/SW_Columbia/status/1479521725004107776

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

hell yeah

columbia tried everything, threatening scabs, claiming picketers were assaulting people, etc

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

good poo poo. curious how much they were able to claw back from columbia during the strike, it seems like its been an arduous time. cant even imagine how awful it must be to be working for a school rn in any capacity in nyc, or even harder to imagine, in healthcare.

there is a rank and file org within the nyc public teachers union that have been emboldened by the chicago sickout/wildcat style shutdown of their public schools and are trying to do pull off something similar. they seem pretty critical of their union leadership who do not seem to care about dumping covid directly into the lungs of every educator and child in the city rn

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
starbucks workers united still killing it, announcing two new union drives in one day. these starbucks execs are gonna spend so much time on planes back and forth between all these stores lol

https://twitter.com/SBWorkersUnited/status/1479622350077321221

https://twitter.com/SBWorkersUnited/status/1479815759220072459

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Local Grocery Store Unions starting a strike on Wednesday, other then of course not crossing picket lines what else can I do to help?

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

LionYeti posted:

Local Grocery Store Unions starting a strike on Wednesday, other then of course not crossing picket lines what else can I do to help?

go to the picket lines yourself! make signs, bring some energy, bring friends.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

kingcobweb posted:

Even if I'm a computer toucher who doesn't work for Kroger?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

LionYeti posted:

Bring snacks or drinks...ideally purchased from a non-striking location or before the strike. But it's always good to have a fresh case or two of water bottles delivered.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

kingcobweb posted:

always a good idea to contribute with material aid and helping around, especially getting in touch with people

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

LionYeti posted:

absolutely! picketing is a community event. when I was on the picket line, the coolest thing was seeing all the local leftist groups, because those 50 year old reds knew all the union chants and us 25 year old salespeople didn’t

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Alkydere posted:

Bring snacks or drinks...ideally purchased from a non-striking location or before the strike. But it's always good to have a fresh case or two of water bottles delivered.

Those big boxes of coffee are always a big hit too, especially when it's cold as poo poo out.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

kingcobweb posted:

absolutely! picketing is a community event. when I was on the picket line, the coolest thing was seeing all the local leftist groups, because those 50 year old reds knew all the union chants and us 25 year old salespeople didn’t

I'll drop by on saturday in my comfy shoes.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
This is one of the most powerful first-hand accounts I’ve ever read about union organizing. https://www.nytimes.com/2022/01/14/opinion/unions-oregon-assisted-living.html

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

kingcobweb posted:

This is one of the most powerful first-hand accounts I’ve ever read about union organizing. https://www.nytimes.com/2022/01/14/opinion/unions-oregon-assisted-living.html

And yet they lost

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
first union at activision/blizzard:

https://www.polygon.com/22894041/call-of-duty-warzone-raven-software-union-activision-blizzard

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

The Kroger/King Soopers strike just ended, but details of the agreement haven't been released yet.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Organic Lube User posted:

The Kroger/King Soopers strike just ended, but details of the agreement haven't been released yet.

Hope they get a good deal. The strike absolutely gutted them, especially with the communities backing the strikers...and the video of the CEO screaming and throwing a baby-like tantrum going "There's no more money!"

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Oh poo poo I applied to work there in college (got rejected). Glad their testers are standing up and unionizing.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
joining the iww trip report

summary: aus iww is a useless waste of time

joined roughly 12 months ago. in that time there has been no organising training and almost no discussion of organising. only me and two other people have discussed organising campaigns at work in that time. one conversation about organising got derailed by some guy talking about harry fuckin potter houses for crying out loud

most discussion takes place on discord (barf) and revolves around memes, reposting news articles, or idpol rubbish that doesn't accomplish anything. meetings are well run, but cover bureaucratic stuff or topics unrelated to workplace organising, so they are ultimately useless. almost everyone is extremely unreliable and people flake out constantly.

there is a reading group but it covers material unrelated to workplace organising. recommendations for organising material have included brilliant suggestions such as twitter and some lovely blog. useless.

maybe it depends on where you are, but the aus iww seems pretty useless. avoid

---

and to leave things on a more positive note: i have had some progress at my workplace. it's taken a lot of conversations but i have recruited 8 people into the conventional union and got three more non-union people to sign their names saying they'd vote a lovely work proposal down if it went to a vote.

the conventional union is very sleepy but they have an air of legitimacy that can't be ignored, and they know how to navigate the tedious procedural crap, plus they have a mailing list, so it's still useful. It's just that theyre sleepy so me and a few co-workers have been busting our asses trying to steer things towards building numbers and committing to voting no to our work's rubbish. oh and you know, actually holding meetings mor than once a year or having a concrete proposal for members, or even just talking to members lol

reading material i found useful:

- that jane mcalevey book in the OP was a nice background piece
- ironically, the old IWW organising manual (there's a few other related guides as well) archived online. needs updating but the basics were still useful
- a troublemakers handbook 2: how to fight back where you work and win! by jane slaughter. this book has been really useful even as a non-american. it covers a lot of topics, including how to try and turn a sleepy union around.
- researching recent-ish IR action near me, regardless of industry... this was mostly on union websites or left-leaning news sites. i also had a few conversations with people involved in campaigns in other industries. I found this was all good conversation fodder and it helped to have examples to get people off the fence and get involved

sorry if all that's a bit vague I don't want to doxx myself.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/UnionElections/status/1485334800483467274

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
respect this *tosses down signed union card*

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

If you truly respect your employees, you’ll be happy to negotiate a contract with their properly elected representatives.

:colbert:

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
while one may wonder why a co-op would need to unionize, rei isn't a real co-op. its a consumer co-op that services consumers and not employees. contrast this to a worker co-op like mondragon which is a federated worker's co-op. that means there's no voting in the workplace for better working conditions. all they do is let consumers buy a 'member' for a small dividend on purchases and consumers (i.e. moneyed baby bombers who paid $10 for a membership) can vote on management but not the workers.

it's pretty disgusting it tries to hide behind co-operative branding as it's still a top-down undemocratic hierarchical organization and it's really no different than walmart or target

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I'm not sure $20 exactly qualifies you as "moneyed" lol

but holy gently caress I never knew the co-op had zero to do with their employees

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

theflyingexecutive posted:

I'm not sure $20 exactly qualifies you as "moneyed" lol

but holy gently caress I never knew the co-op had zero to do with their employees
well it's more that the store is generally aimed toward middle-upper class boomers. but yeah $10 (or $20) for a lifetime 'membership/shareholder' isn't bad. most consumers aren't going to vote either.

the key thing is that in a consumer co-op, workers don't have a say or share in profit. it goes to 'consumers'

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Even in a producer coop there can be inequality: coops can and very frequently do hire on contract.

Also of cool historical note, black communities throughout the 20th century would form consumer coops to get around abusive white stores. Jessica Gordon Nembhard wrote quite compellingly about it.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Holy poo poo fifteen more JUST TODAY https://twitter.com/LaurenKGurley/status/1488235656639823874

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

the remaining 100+ professional staff at AMNH filed for an election last week too

the Jewish Museum did a few weeks ago

More will follow

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

As far as difficulty in organizing, starbucks stores are pretty ripe

small groups, but tend to remain employed for a while, GENERALLY progressive, and underpaid/exploited, and the larger company has fantastic piles of cash

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

As far as difficulty in organizing, starbucks stores are pretty ripe

small groups, but tend to remain employed for a while, GENERALLY progressive, and underpaid/exploited, and the larger company has fantastic piles of cash

it's a real perfect storm and I can't wait to see where it goes. Two amazon warehouses are voting on unionizing too (Bessemer repeat after labor law infractions and the Staten island location) wonder how thatll play out this year.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

real interested in the Staten Island election, since the workers there are trying to organize without an established local

here’s an article on the AMNH and their union busting

https://hyperallergic.com/708522/nearly-200-american-museum-of-natural-history-workers-move-to-unionize/

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

In Training posted:

it's a real perfect storm and I can't wait to see where it goes. Two amazon warehouses are voting on unionizing too (Bessemer repeat after labor law infractions and the Staten island location) wonder how thatll play out this year.

Yeah I'm loving this. If we get a huge portion of Starbucks organizes, that's a lot of close contact for a lot of people with labor organizing.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
Hopefully they can get the right to wear union insignia and hang posters in customer facing areas, but I doubt that Corporate would allow that without some hard bargaining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
I know there’s a lot of truly evil people in this world but I reserve a special place of hatred in my heart for professional union-busters

https://twitter.com/amazonlabor/status/1489284322381209610?s=20&t=XU_u-lNepIU0JbF2b3Ty5Q