Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Anno posted:

Is CoD really waning as a series? I know Vanguard didn't do too hot but I thought Warzone (and mobile for that matter) were still huge.

Warzone is steadily on the way down and Vanguard didn't do great but still a top selling game for the year.

I think cod will always be popular but will probably keep sliding away without a surprise hit release that changes it up or just goes the extra mile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Anno posted:

Is CoD really waning as a series? I know Vanguard didn't do too hot but I thought Warzone (and mobile for that matter) were still huge.

It's still a HUGE moneymaker, but seemingly only because it has the entire Acti apparatus working night and day on it, and financially its best days are in the past. It's pretty hard to imagine a future where COD is financially irrelevant, but things can happen really fast with the wrong outreach and momentum (looking at FF14 usurping WOW while nobody was looking)

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Played a few hours co-op of It Takes Two tonight. Looks amazing on series x. Very fun !

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

JBP posted:

Warzone is steadily on the way down

That’s the part I wasn’t aware of. I thought Warzone was just as strong as ever.

In related news:

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1486107899948642310

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Anno posted:

That’s the part I wasn’t aware of. I thought Warzone was just as strong as ever.

In related news:

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1486107899948642310

Yeah been on the decline for a while.

Not surprising that Activision have distribution signed for cod titles years in advance.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Vanguard was the first COD game to not outsell the previous year, I think ever. I don't know if I'd call that a while.

COD really should be bi annual though. Or less. Just support the current one for a couple of years and make the new release a more notable event. Even as a player I thought yearly felt like too much. Plus they basically have no competition right now. There's no reason they need to be doing them every year especially since they figured out how to turn it into an MTX machine and that seems to be where most of the money is coming from.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I'm sure the outcome is prolly grim for Raven's union attempt but I seriously wish them the best and I hope it spreads to every single cluster of ABK and the entire industry for that matter

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

Vanguard was the first COD game to not outsell the previous year, I think ever. I don't know if I'd call that a while.

Even so, their development strategy got more and more conservative during gen 8 with an outsized focus on remastering the COD experience from a decade earlier.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

veni veni veni posted:

Thing I read was that it sold like 30% less but was still third best selling for the year

Also was saying Warzone has been declining for a while

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Even so, their development strategy got more and more conservative during gen 8 with an outsized focus on remastering the COD experience from a decade earlier.

They released a new entry each year along side the two remasters, so I don't know what you mean by that.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Any PC game piss players have a go at this vampire themed Crusader Kings (if it's even like that) game? It sounds fun but idk if I want to dedicate ten hours to learning a spreadsheet/strategy game and then have it never do anything interesting.

E: apparently it's on console too, also seems more like Might and Magic?

JBP fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jan 26, 2022

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

JBP posted:

Any PC game piss players have a go at this vampire themed Crusader Kings (if it's even like that) game? It sounds fun but idk if I want to dedicate ten hours to learning a spreadsheet/strategy game and then have it never do anything interesting.

E: apparently it's on console too, also seems more like Might and Magic?

Whats the title

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Real hurthling! posted:

Whats the title

Immortal Realms Vampire Wars

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

They released a new entry each year along side the two remasters, so I don't know what you mean by that.

Ghosts, Advanced, and Infinite seemed to be trying for something different at least, and when they got pushback on it from their famously 'boots on the ground' audience they caved and went back to what was familiar, modern warfare and world war 2 themes lol, even ditching whatever they had in the works at one point to hop on the bandwagon of battle royale. I wouldn't exactly say they got more experimental in the last half decade.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

CK3 is still on PC Gamepass right? I think the Princes of Darkness mod is on the Paradox mod launcher if you want actual Vampire Crusader Kings.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Speaking of COD Ghosts I remember seeing a trailer for a DLC pack that had a remastered version of Favela from Modern Warfare 2 included and it looked so good. Can't believe they remastered that game and completely omitted the multiplayer. The original Modern Warfare remaster kept the multiplayer (they even added microtransactions) so for the second game to be singleplayer-only was really weird. Then again they kept the original remaster locked behind some super deluxe purchase of a different COD game for a year or something so who knows what the gently caress. I'm glad Xbox said they want COD to stop being a yearly franchise and let teams work on what they want, sucks that they're still locked in for 3 more games.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
Nobody Saves the World chat: Am I missing something with the dragon, or does he just kinda suck

Or is that the point: that the big, huge character you'd think would be the star of the show is in fact a total bum and it's the 'nobodies' below him that are super worth playing as

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

SUNKOS posted:

Speaking of COD Ghosts I remember seeing a trailer for a DLC pack that had a remastered version of Favela from Modern Warfare 2 included and it looked so good. Can't believe they remastered that game and completely omitted the multiplayer. The original Modern Warfare remaster kept the multiplayer (they even added microtransactions) so for the second game to be singleplayer-only was really weird. Then again they kept the original remaster locked behind some super deluxe purchase of a different COD game for a year or something so who knows what the gently caress. I'm glad Xbox said they want COD to stop being a yearly franchise and let teams work on what they want, sucks that they're still locked in for 3 more games.

I’m sure they omitted the multi because they didn’t want it lowering the player numbers of the main game.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Toaster Beef posted:

Nobody Saves the World chat: Am I missing something with the dragon, or does he just kinda suck

Or is that the point: that the big, huge character you'd think would be the star of the show is in fact a total bum and it's the 'nobodies' below him that are super worth playing as

I find the game to be kinda bad so i dont think bad elements are clever commentary

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Chorvs is so so fun, people.

I have a feeling it'll eventually be a gamepass game but I am happy to give these folks money.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Toaster Beef posted:

I think its just bad. Its firebreath is a good light type elemental attack and the only source of burn damage.

Im doing NG+ and yeah, its all the necro show.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Anno posted:

CK3 is still on PC Gamepass right? I think the Princes of Darkness mod is on the Paradox mod launcher if you want actual Vampire Crusader Kings.

It is, yeah

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

veni veni veni posted:

CoD peaked in sales with Black Ops 1 according to this article, which lines up with where I thought they peaked. It gets harder to track as of the PS4/Xbone generation since who knows how they're counting units sold between some of the games being crossgen and all of them being sold digitally and in stores and on Steam and Battlenet and who knows how else; it's obfuscated maybe more than counting units was back in 2008.

They still sell like a couple dozen million units every year, but free 2 play games and GAAS really took over their market.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm on a break from Halo Infinite so I've picked up Gears 5 on game pass. I got Gears 4 free with my GPU years back and it was okay, but I definitely had more fun with the campaign when I did a co op run with my buddy. I held off on playing Gears 5 because of my issues with the storytelling and general meh of Gears 4 and because lots of people said the Gears 5 campaign was poo poo. But after I watched Noah Caldwell Gervais video on the franchise I decided to go ahead and check it out, and I'm kind of loving it.

Gears of War is such a strange game where it's the peak of bro culture in gaming but then has some surprisingly nuanced themes about fascism, obedience, rebirth and genocide. I just blitzed through Act 1 and it was super fun to play and the story was able to flip between goofy stuff like Cole ramming a grenade bike into a Brumak and really dark stuff like all the flavor text and JD's "I'm the hero!" behavior being an emotional cover for his role in a civilian massacre. It was surprising to see the actions of a protagonist in a Gears game using all the bravado and optimism as justification for his role as a cog in the fascist machine.

Also, the Hamilton parody with a jazzy cover of the Gears of War theme song got a good laugh out of me.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Counterpoint: 2042 is actually fun as long as you never play Conquest

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Soul Glo posted:

CoD peaked in sales with Black Ops 1 according to this article, which lines up with where I thought they peaked. It gets harder to track as of the PS4/Xbone generation since who knows how they're counting units sold between some of the games being crossgen and all of them being sold digitally and in stores and on Steam and Battlenet and who knows how else; it's obfuscated maybe more than counting units was back in 2008.

They still sell like a couple dozen million units every year, but free 2 play games and GAAS really took over their market.

Speaking of, the Microsoft CEO seems pretty proud of the Xbox division right now. Apparently in the latest earnings call to investors he revealed that Halo Infinite is the biggest Halo launch in history (20+ million) and Forza Horizon 5 apparently did great too (18+ million) which is wild given that they didn't launch that long ago. The aforementioned investors apparently had zero questions about the $70 billion they just spent on Activision Blizzard lol.

On the topic of that acquisition, Blizzard has just announced a new IP as well, which is supposedly some kind of modern/fantasy survival game set in a new universe. Saw some mentions that even disgruntled employees are hyped as heck to show it off so it will be exciting to see their take on the format, even though it's not something that appeals to me personally.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

I turned my Xbox off in disgust after failing a quest several times in Nobody Saves the World because I had to defeat enemies without destroying a crystal, and the enemy attacks destroyed it every time. Nothing I could do, they were those weird ranged attack orbs that fly in a weird pattern.

This game seems decent and that it has potential but it feels incredibly unfair where I just have no idea what I’m doing wrong or how to progress. Maybe I need to not be bad at video games but it just feels crappy.

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
I am an employee of the Microsoft Gaming Division and they pay me to defend the Xbox One on the Something Awful Forums
Evade is your friend on that one just rush to them as they spawn, also the spawn order is the same every time

On that note is there a super long ranged attack skill you can unlock for the ranger the master challenge quest is killing me

hanyolo fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Jan 26, 2022

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Just body block the shots and don't stand between them and the crystal. The enemies only want to fight you, they don't give a poo poo about the crystal

Edit: I wonder if familiars can harm the crystal cause if they can't just barf 10+ of them into the room and take a nap.

hanyolo posted:

Evade is your friend on that one just rush to them as they spawn, also the spawn order is the same every time

On that note is there a super long ranged attack skill you can unlock for the ranger the master challenge quest is killing me

You need the rocket skill from the robot unless somebody has found a more clever way to solve it.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Jan 26, 2022

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
I've always been fascinated that despite how hyper macho Gears is it has a large female fan base. Anyway I got stuck in Gears 5. It's during the ice ship section where I'm fighting like the red things that shoot spikes from there tail. I can't get past it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Counterpoint: 2042 is actually fun as long as you never play Conquest

Tbh all this talk made me play it for a bit tonight and it feels decent now. I actually had a good time running around as infantry and it seems much less buggy. The maps still suck though.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

ErrEff posted:

EA will have DICE make more Battlefront games to complement their growing library of Star Wars titles, I guess. The BF names may be damaged (both Battlefield and Battlefront) but attaching a Star Wars license moves units regardless of reputation.

As for more Titanfall... is Steve Fukuda at Respawn anymore? I feel like he hasn't been seen or heard in years, didn't even have a credit on Apex AFAIK.

Nope EA has dumped Battlefront permanently. They arent returning to it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Arc Hammer posted:

I'm on a break from Halo Infinite so I've picked up Gears 5 on game pass. I got Gears 4 free with my GPU years back and it was okay, but I definitely had more fun with the campaign when I did a co op run with my buddy. I held off on playing Gears 5 because of my issues with the storytelling and general meh of Gears 4 and because lots of people said the Gears 5 campaign was poo poo. But after I watched Noah Caldwell Gervais video on the franchise I decided to go ahead and check it out, and I'm kind of loving it.

Gears of War is such a strange game where it's the peak of bro culture in gaming but then has some surprisingly nuanced themes about fascism, obedience, rebirth and genocide. I just blitzed through Act 1 and it was super fun to play and the story was able to flip between goofy stuff like Cole ramming a grenade bike into a Brumak and really dark stuff like all the flavor text and JD's "I'm the hero!" behavior being an emotional cover for his role in a civilian massacre. It was surprising to see the actions of a protagonist in a Gears game using all the bravado and optimism as justification for his role as a cog in the fascist machine.

Also, the Hamilton parody with a jazzy cover of the Gears of War theme song got a good laugh out of me.

The campaign isn't total poo poo it's just really uneven and the open world element is hella bad. Chapters 1 and 4 are mostly good and 2 and three have good moments, but even if you aren't doing side stuff it feels like there is a bunch of filler. if they ripped out the open world and made it 3 hours shorter I think it would have been a better game.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Barudak posted:

Just body block the shots and don't stand between them and the crystal. The enemies only want to fight you, they don't give a poo poo about the crystal

Thanks. I might go back, I might not. A lot of the charm disappeared for me when I realized I had oodles of quests and no clear indication of if I was failing because I was bad at video games or because I hadn’t unlocked something yet.

A good Game Pass game.

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

i learned it from watching you
So I think I sequence broke Forgotten City and I don't know if I can get ending 3 without restarting the game now?

I got ending 2 first, I discovered Sentius' hiding place with his daughter in it and I let her kill him, which paradoxed me, but then I went back to get ending 1 and killed him after I knew he was time looping as well, then I skipped straight to ending 4 by gathering up all the plaques, and now I don't know if I have a save game from anywhere around where I'd be able to save her but have Galleus gather the townspeople... not like it's an insanely long game or anything but is there something I can do to get back to that point without starting over? I just want to see all the endings. I could youtube it but I was kinda in it for the achievements too, and I felt like I was getting close to hundred percenting it. Any tips or am I better off just starting over again?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

caldrax posted:

So I think I sequence broke Forgotten City and I don't know if I can get ending 3 without restarting the game now?

I got ending 2 first, I discovered Sentius' hiding place with his daughter in it and I let her kill him, which paradoxed me, but then I went back to get ending 1 and killed him after I knew he was time looping as well, then I skipped straight to ending 4 by gathering up all the plaques, and now I don't know if I have a save game from anywhere around where I'd be able to save her but have Galleus gather the townspeople... not like it's an insanely long game or anything but is there something I can do to get back to that point without starting over? I just want to see all the endings. I could youtube it but I was kinda in it for the achievements too, and I felt like I was getting close to hundred percenting it. Any tips or am I better off just starting over again?

Ending 3 is just freeing Sentilla and escaping through the aqueduct again. You just have to convince her not to break the Golden Rule, time warp and let Galerius know to gather up the villagers, then free her again. You might not even have to talk to Sentilla again if you've already gotten Ending 2.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Lammasu posted:

I've always been fascinated that despite how hyper macho Gears is it has a large female fan base. Anyway I got stuck in Gears 5. It's during the ice ship section where I'm fighting like the red things that shoot spikes from there tail. I can't get past it.

What is the name of the ice boss? I was fighting it the other night, took a long hard look at my life, then uninstalled it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Fly Ricky posted:

What is the name of the ice boss? I was fighting it the other night, took a long hard look at my life, then uninstalled it.

The correct action is to temporarily bump the difficulty down to the lowest so you can effortlessly defeat him. Which gives you some time to think about the hypothetical letter you'd want to write to the Coalition asking them what they were thinking putting such a lovely boss in the game.

Seriously I have no idea how that piece of poo poo boss actually made it into the final game.

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

i learned it from watching you
Yeah, thing is, I'm not getting a prompt from him to gather up the villagers, he'll do the rest of the things leading up to the election but not gathering the town, and when I go to Sentilla I can't get a prompt from her to escape without her killing her dad... I've told her no, then looped, and when I come back I still seem to ignore her existence talking to Galerius

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

caldrax posted:

Yeah, thing is, I'm not getting a prompt from him to gather up the villagers, he'll do the rest of the things leading up to the election but not gathering the town, and when I go to Sentilla I can't get a prompt from her to escape without her killing her dad... I've told her no, then looped, and when I come back I still seem to ignore her existence talking to Galerius

So you need to talk to Sentilla, then choose the dialogue option where you leave her, then run back to Galerius BEFORE another time loop and then you can gather peeps and run back to Sentilla