Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Cabbages and Kings posted:

I've never used a tracker app before yesterday, but this is funny and unsurprising to me: skiing casually and easily with friends at "gently caress around levels" with a beer or two involved, involves going substantially faster than working my fuckin' rear end off solo at MRG dead sober does.
Your top & average speed on "fuckaround" day were higher, presumably cause you were cruising around groomers

But the solo MRG day had you racking up vertical at a faster pace cause you were skiing steeper terrain with purpose. Your total vertical was higher the first day but that's cause you stayed out almost twice as long.

This is why my dad got obsessed with counting vertical, since it is a reasonably good proxy for how much effort went into the day's skiing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Plank Walker posted:

Dumb question from a former skier, current snowboarder: is there a difference between left and right skis? I know when I'd get bindings put on at the shop the shop would slap a sticker on one indicating that it was the right or left, but idk if it made a difference. Last time I was out at the slopes, a relatively new skier was having trouble getting their skis on in the lift line and I noticed that the left and right skis were swapped (based on the rental sticker) and told them and they switched them around. But I'm wondering if it matters at all.

My new skis, Elan Wingmans, have a specific left and right ski due to the inner and outer edges having slightly different profiles. The skis have the left and right side written on the appropriate ski. That being said, I have never seen a specific left/right binding, and by design any binding should accept a left or right boot, therefore there should be no difference in ability/difficulty to place a boot in a binding.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

IncredibleIgloo posted:

My new skis, Elan Wingmans, have a specific left and right ski due to the inner and outer edges having slightly different profiles. The skis have the left and right side written on the appropriate ski. That being said, I have never seen a specific left/right binding, and by design any binding should accept a left or right boot, therefore there should be no difference in ability/difficulty to place a boot in a binding.

Yeah I was wondering if maybe the release tension was asymmetrical or something. My last skis were before sidecuts and they were marked left/right so I didn't think it was due to edge differences (but I was also curious if modern skis had different inside/outside edges)

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.

Yuns posted:

Good to hear you're ok. Was this in bounds or back country?

It was right around here inbounds

I knew there was a cliff band to skiers right but a friend told me to go far left for better snow. I went too far left. A little nerve wracking but not as bad as it could’ve been.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I've had slalom skis where the guards at the front means there actually is a left ski and a right ski but in general yeah, it doesn't matter.

spwrozek posted:

The strange thing is I have never seen a shop ask for both boots until REI did for my GF's mount on her new skis this season.

Yeah, I just dropped some skis off to have bindings mounted and just took one shell over.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

HookShot posted:

I've had slalom skis where the guards at the front means there actually is a left ski and a right ski but in general yeah, it doesn't matter.

Yeah, I just dropped some skis off to have bindings mounted and just took one shell over.

The other example I can remember is the era of atomic differential race skis. My 9.28s had that back in… 2002?

https://elevatesporting.com/products/atomic-beta-race-red-white-black-193cm-used-downhill-skis-w-bindings

And similarly, the many many times I’ve had bindings mounted, REI is the only place I’ve ever had ask for both boots.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Also in case anyone was wondering about Tahoe backcountry conditions a month without any real precip after the huge storms

It looked a lot better from the top than it did from these angles, and it was actually great corn skiing on the southern aspects below it.

Snow, please, though

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I was at Heavenly yesterday and got to ski for the first time in 2 years. Gorgeous day out and most of the lifts were pretty quick in the single line.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

The Glumslinger posted:

I was at Heavenly yesterday and got to ski for the first time in 2 years. Gorgeous day out and most of the lifts were pretty quick in the single line.

Nice! Yeah things are pretty great at the resorts right now for groomed skiing, or spring snow hunting. Second photo in my post was taken from high camp at palisades; went for a morning tour nearby then met up with my kids and wife and mother in law for some afternoon groomer cruising. Super chill. Gonna take the kids back next weekend for their first ski lessons.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Steve French posted:

The other example I can remember is the era of atomic differential race skis. My 9.28s had that back in… 2002?

https://elevatesporting.com/products/atomic-beta-race-red-white-black-193cm-used-downhill-skis-w-bindings

And similarly, the many many times I’ve had bindings mounted, REI is the only place I’ve ever had ask for both boots.

True. Also those Fischer ones that had holes in the tips like 5-8 years ago, I think some of the models the hole was not a perfect oval so there was a correct left and right, but don't quote me on that for sure.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
C'mon you stupid Nor'easter. Please don't dump it all out to sea. Looking forward to Saturday and Sunday.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Yuns posted:

C'mon you stupid Nor'easter. Please don't dump it all out to sea. Looking forward to Saturday and Sunday.

Camden Snow Bowl is going to be firing

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Natural Selection Day 1 is happening right now. The conditions look challenging to say the least.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1hDfhFdPuI

Just wrapped heat 3 with Travis Rice & Kevin Backstrom and Trav gonna have to do work to advance after that run.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

highme posted:

Natural Selection Day 1 is happening right now. The conditions look challenging to say the least.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1hDfhFdPuI

Just wrapped heat 3 with Travis Rice & Kevin Backstrom and Trav gonna have to do work to advance after that run.

Looks like a heinous sun crust.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Travis in a tree. That was pretty good. Even moved the broken tree out of the way.

highme
May 25, 2001

Bend, Oregon is representing well. There are so many of these head to heads that are killing me. Rice vs Backstrom, Ben Ferg vs Sweetin.

I literally just yelled about that front 9 from Sweetin. Just bonkers.

edit: boooooo wanted another lap from Ben Ferg & Austin.

highme fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jan 25, 2022

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

highme posted:

Bend, Oregon is representing well. There are so many of these head to heads that are killing me. Rice vs Backstrom, Ben Ferg vs Sweetin.

I literally just yelled about that front 9 from Sweetin. Just bonkers.

edit: boooooo wanted another lap from Ben Ferg & Austin.

basically exactly how I feel.

E: did they do the draft like last year where they person whose name was drawn got to pick their opponent?

highme
May 25, 2001

"this is like a pow day at Bachelor" is exactly what that looks like from the drone perspective at least. It's def much steeper but the snow sounds like late in a spring Cascade Concrete day.

Sage is all "I have this olympic gold, have you seen it" there at the end. Otherwise that's Gabe's run.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
Made it to MRG for 2 hrs today, 12k vertical.

Lower back pain means I've been doing too many moguls with bad form. I am gonna give myself a couple day break and hope for a powder day on Sunday, just ice and rest and weed in the mean time.

Conditions were surprisingly good. When I got into the lower difficulty glades a ton of it looked like it hadn't been touched in a day or two, lots of places to blast some powder off some trees.

Got myself seriously hosed up once by following the always sketchy single-pair-o-tracks. It was on the glades off the lower part of Bunny which I know real well -- well enough to realize when the tracks were headed for a cliff and stop, but by that point I was committed and had to find a lovely way down, some of which involved wearing skis :laugh:

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Cabbages and Kings posted:

Lower back pain means I've been doing too many moguls with bad form. I am gonna give myself a couple day break and hope for a powder day on Sunday, just ice and rest and weed in the mean time.
I have always found my back gets sore from skiing when my legs are out of shape, so I end up using my back/core more to compensate.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

bawfuls posted:

I have always found my back gets sore from skiing when my legs are out of shape, so I end up using my back/core more to compensate.

I think that is 100% the case and I need to take a few days off and stretch and rest my back but also be back on some leg exercises etc. Sorta let the season sneak up on me and then I have gone too hard because season pass + dopamine. Offseason I stay in shape doing firewood and maple syrup and related stuff, but none of that works my legs like skis. Maybe bikes do, wouldn't know, I got no use for a bike that doesn't have a gasoline engine.

also my office chair is kind of a travesty, I might invest in a chair that costs as much as my skis this spring because I sit on my rear end working way too much.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Sometimes when I follow the brave lone set of tracks into the woods I find Secret Sweetness, otherwise it leads to Terrible Trekking.

I knew what I was getting into here because this is one of the lower glades off Bunny, and it's generally "fine" but it does have a cliff wall on one side, and a crevice that runs along the bottom which is sometimes skiable and sometimes a river.

I elected to briefly bootpack here, but mostly unfucked myself on skis because I was sinking into the snow up to my thighs trying to walk. Good times.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

sKi It iF yOu CaN

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TB3MiOay_gs

Straight up nasty skiing!

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

skiyoneering

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

That looks incredibly unfun

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

kiimo posted:

You sir are Wrong.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
I recognize the area where they dropped in and :catstare:

I don't even know how you'd scope that out without having a 100m rope

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
skiing some ice this weekend wish me luck

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

kiimo posted:

I agree. Why go through all that to not be able to make turns?

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Still cool though. I just wouldnt wanna do it

I just saw this thing. I can't tell if this is stupid or not. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/zoaeng/pl1-a-portable-rope-tow-for-the-backcountry

Partial Octopus fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jan 28, 2022

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

things i want to go skiing with:
- ice axe
- crampon
- rope
- harness
- mario music
- trepidation

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

this is a pretty sick edit

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

this is my poo poo

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

me: took my partner on a very reasonable stint to a small local mountain in new england earlier this year hoping to knock off the cobwebs since i havent snowboarded since college

also me: took 25 minutes to get down a green trail because i really shouldve warmed up on a bunny hill and just could not balance or handle my poo poo

partner is a science nerd irl and has never shown any physical aptitude in anything ive ever seen. pops off the lift and does a sick kickflip and just takes off down the mountain full speed, catches up to me on her second lap. “this is certainly not the alps” takes off again. this would be even douchier except shes literally a french national from the mountains.

i went for my second adult outing the other day at another baby mountain and i didn't get off the bunny hill but i sat there for 3.5 hours practicing transferring edges and braking and it felt pretty good. i think i am going to try to get a lesson for my third outing just to tie everything together.

gearwise, i have a garbage snowboard and boots but they do fine. im looking at snoveralls and a jacket and is it actually impossible to get something that looks pretty for under $200? i see cool prints and patterns for womens stuff but all the mens gear is black grey or white and i like to have a little more uh, panache. are there any significant differences between snowboard and ski specific clothes?

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7057176986099240198

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

basically. i wasn't even mad that first time because it was cool as gently caress to see her just crushing poo poo. i'm more just in a panic to level up because shes threatening to make me go to the alps next time we go to france to visit her family and id like to not eat poo poo continuously in front of her whole family for a week lol.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Partial Octopus posted:

I agree. Why go through all that to not be able to make turns?

I can take you up something cool like that if you want. It is very fun.

Casual Encountess posted:

me: took my partner on a very reasonable stint to a small local mountain in new england earlier this year hoping to knock off the cobwebs since i havent snowboarded since college

also me: took 25 minutes to get down a green trail because i really shouldve warmed up on a bunny hill and just could not balance or handle my poo poo

partner is a science nerd irl and has never shown any physical aptitude in anything ive ever seen. pops off the lift and does a sick kickflip and just takes off down the mountain full speed, catches up to me on her second lap. “this is certainly not the alps” takes off again. this would be even douchier except shes literally a french national from the mountains.

i went for my second adult outing the other day at another baby mountain and i didn't get off the bunny hill but i sat there for 3.5 hours practicing transferring edges and braking and it felt pretty good. i think i am going to try to get a lesson for my third outing just to tie everything together.

gearwise, i have a garbage snowboard and boots but they do fine. im looking at snoveralls and a jacket and is it actually impossible to get something that looks pretty for under $200? i see cool prints and patterns for womens stuff but all the mens gear is black grey or white and i like to have a little more uh, panache. are there any significant differences between snowboard and ski specific clothes?

Love this story. Keep at it man.

Ski/snowboard outwear is all the same really. You should see a bunch of sales in the next 4-6 weeks. Under $200 for bibs and a jacket will be tough though.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

i mean i dont mind shelling out money since this will probably be forever gear but like anything with fun colors is like exponentially more expensive

like i was just looking for purple snoveralls and these are sick

but theyre like $420 (heh).

purple jackets uh.

this is ugly as poo poo and $600 somehow.

ive run into this with motorcycle gear too in that I don't need something SUPER FANCY but like i want something that is aesthetically pleasing. almost all the prints ive seen on mens snowboard jackets are camo/camo adjacent which is a bummer because there's so many pretty womens jackets.

this is about the closest I got to some that looked cool and didn't cost a literal $1000

im extremely open to recs though because i dont know my elbow from my rear end in a top hat with this stuff!

edit: here is me in my favorite snowmobiling jacket thats the level im trying to get to

Casual Encountess fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jan 28, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011

Katie Burrell is a national treasure