Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

Levantine posted:

How is the map design? My biggest problem with games like that is that the maps are often just flat and featureless and get super boring after a while.

I have now completed two levels in Mercenaries Rebirth. In both, the fights took place outdoor on a rugged hill, with the second one being much steeper. The tactics ogre style means that each square has an elevation, and it sometimes may be necessary to rotate the map to see enemies and treasure that might otherwise be hidden. Elevation is significant, since you get a buff for attacking from higher up and elevation also lets you prevent yourself from being as easily flanked or backstabbed.

Both maps had sparkly spots where you can spend an action to search for treasure. I also found a treasure chest on the first map. Stopping for loot can be a minor tactical tradeoff, since it uses the action you could have spent attacking or healing your friends.

From what I have seen, town maps will be flatter, but I have not actually played one yet. I saw an intriguing screenshot of a map where you need to battle your way down a spiral ramp while some kinda fire is burning.

The second battle was against monsters, and I was actually pleasantly surprised by the diversity. Spiders with poison and slow debuffs, wolves with decent tankiness, flowers with a water gun ranged attack, and a big boar boss who spend two rounds buffing themselves before charging in. Nice sprites, though not quite as impressive as the monsters in Sacred Stones or Shadows of Valentia.

In early game, Normal difficulty, 3 of your 4 characters have a healing skill. You definitely need to use them, the big fighter seems like he'd go down in 4-6 attacks from a regular enemy and you heal around 1 attack's worth of HP with your better magic healing. However, if you do use healing aggressively, the difficulty seems pretty low at the start of the game. The one thing that really stood out to me is that you can use your action at the beginning or the end of your turn. Combined with the fact that this is Fire Emblem style team initiative, and the aggro you gain from damage/healing is a measurable number, you might be able to do some major kiting against melee enemies.

Let's see if I can nab some screenshots from Mercenaries 6 online:

EDIT:

Shyfted One posted:

In Nobody Saves the World am I expected to buy Infinite Quest: Kill Baddies or is that just there as an easy mode option since you'd get more levels earlier?

I bought the infinite quest early. Three notes:
1. The requirements for infinite quests get higher each time you complete the last one.
2. Enemies seem to scale to your level, so you'll get more advantage from buying stat boosters if you want to pull ahead.
3. That said, I ran into an area where the enemies were locked to level 20, so progressing is still important for dealing with difficulty floors in the future.

avoraciopoctules fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jan 25, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Morpheus posted:

Are there Isekais where the protagonist isn't some flavour of nerd

I mean there's Gate, which as I understand is more of a fawning over the Japanese defense force, but other than that (and the main guy in that is a huge anime need anyway)

I want to see a trained mercenary get thrown into a bubble gum fantasy world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An3t39SGSUE

ZearothK fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jan 25, 2022

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

i am simply excited to learn that the lufenians independently reinvented linkin park

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Morpheus posted:

Are there Isekais where the protagonist isn't some flavour of nerd

I mean there's Gate, which as I understand is more of a fawning over the Japanese defense force, but other than that (and the main guy in that is a huge anime need anyway)

I want to see a trained mercenary get thrown into a bubble gum fantasy world.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Incidentally, G.I. Samurai is an incredible movie.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Oh snap, I must have missed it but the Monark demo is out on PSN right now: https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP1063-CUSA31193_00-MONARKDEMOP4SIEA (it's on the PS5 also).

Downloading now to see if it's actually fun to play. No idea what to make of the trailers so far.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Jazerus posted:

i am simply excited to learn that the lufenians independently reinvented linkin park

Lufen' Park.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Levantine posted:

Downloading now to see if it's actually fun to play. No idea what to make of the trailers so far.

:same: I'd been getting worrying Calligula Effect vibes from it, but I really have no idea what it'll actually play like.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
It's by the Lost Dimension guys and from what I've seen there's a lot in common with that: free move tactical RPG with the ability to sacrifice your turns to give other people them via Deferring

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

A bit late to the SRPG discussion but Vestaria Saga is a pretty good FE clone made by one of the original creators of the series I believe. Its a criminally underrated game that no seems to have played, somehow it has a better map design than any FE game ive played

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

babypolis posted:

A bit late to the SRPG discussion but Vestaria Saga is a pretty good FE clone made by one of the original creators of the series I believe. Its a criminally underrated game that no seems to have played, somehow it has a better map design than any FE game ive played

i'm gonna powerbomb shouzou kaga into a trash can

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
that game was made in srpg studio
i own srpg studio
therefore, i always have the potential of creating a game better than vestaria saga

there is so much untapped power within me...

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Levantine posted:

Oh snap, I must have missed it but the Monark demo is out on PSN right now: https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP1063-CUSA31193_00-MONARKDEMOP4SIEA (it's on the PS5 also).

How is it?

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

Alright, I just finished a new level of Mercenaries Rebirth: Call of the Wild Lynx, and the combat is getting real. I have done no grinding, but I allocated some SP to unlock skills before starting the next stage and I gave my non-healing greatsword guy a +Attack ring. The plot is that we've gotten a little mercenary company started, and the evil queen is apparently trying to rebuild ancient battle robots to replace the human soldiers she suspects of disloyalty. We see a government lab offering generous pay for mercs to help with an experiment... and we take the job, the appeal of shiny coins outweighing the risk that the queen already knows her rival for rule is in this Wild Lynx company. There's a little political stuff going on in the background, and the queen's vizier gets real salty when the project manager for the ancient magitech buzzsaw robots re-raises the fact that this is ethically iffy stuff they have opposed from the start. We show up, there's no funny business with the A plot, but the robots are a complete surprise to all 4 of our heroes. The princess had heard nothing about killbots before she fled the new queen's assassins. Ominous, but at least nobody recognizes her. The project manager apparently was one of sword guy's merc buddies back in the day, and he requested us specifically because of that.

They put me into a 4v4 match against robots who hit about twice as hard as my lvl3 healing spell. The robots can also heal each other, do attacks that proc an honestly pretty weak poison status effect, and do a big cleave attack that strikes 3 squares in front of them. This was a real nail-biter of a fight, actually! The testing chamber is mostly flat, but we start on a bridge in the center and there's a flying buzzsaw bot in each corner. I tried rushing the two corners with chests in order to keep from getting swarmed and end up frantically dancing around for position and trying to manage aggro and healing. Sloppy play could easily have wiped me out, but eventually I manage to turn the tide.

It turns out that focus-firing down one of the enemies at a time is less valuable than just making sure I have enough breathing room. I do a lot of attacks at secondary/tertiary bots just to improve the odds that they'll back off and spend a turn healing, which means I can shuffle injured characters to a position where the others are shielding them. I barely survive, our old acquaintance decides to quit his job to rejoin us, and I immediately dump all the money I saved into upgrading most of my equipment on the greatsworder and paladin to bronze tier. I cannot quite afford bronze boots for a full bronze set bonus... and for the first time, I begin to think about whether I might want to do a re-fight or two against the forest monsters.

At this point, I am legit hyped to keep playing.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

having not played the original DS version, strange journey redux's decision to place a new dungeon in the middle of the 2nd dungeon was uhh a bit confusing

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

babypolis posted:

it is made by, the creator, of fire emblem. weird guy

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

babypolis posted:

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

I can respect a giant puzzlebox map. Not sure, but that might be fun to play if your team is reasonably tough/mobile.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The best retro-style FE I've played is the FE6 hack Project Ember, which feels like it combines the best parts of the GBA and DS eras, with a sprinkling of Thracia thrown in for good measure

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

I'm the purple mushroom off in the distance

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Not sure, I downloaded it and then went to yoga! I'm about to fire it up so I'll let you know shortly.

On another topic, does anyone know where I can find some resources for Demon Gaze 2? There's a Japanese wiki but I'm having trouble parsing some things and I'd like to understand stuff like alignment and how it affects the game long term.

EDIT: So Monark - not sure what to make of it even after playing. Combat definitely feels like Lost Dimension where you can free move in a radius. You can attack using abilities that raise your "MAD" meter which makes you go berserk if you max it in battle and become uncontrollable. This also factors into exploration of the school. If you're in a "mist" area, your MAD gauge will constantly increase. If it maxes during exploration you get sent back to the infirmary. It remains to be seen how annoying this will be long term since the Act 1 stuff is so short you'll never have to worry about it. You get a customizable skellington as a combatant (that kind of sounds like DC Douglas when he attacks, not entirely sure). You can change its look and equip Vessels to further change its looks and stats. You get these from killing enemies, beating stages and even stealing if you have the skill unlocked.

Beyond that, you have a bunch of stats corresponding to your Ego that I don't totally understand. You get your base stats when you do your quiz at the start of the game and periodically NPCs will quiz you for other stat boosts. I think these play into what you can equip or unlock or something, not sure yet. NPC's definitely feel kind of like Caligula Effect in that they have names, locations and sometimes phone numbers you can call. Lots of stuff to find around the school too.

The demo is absolutely worth playing as it's just the beginning of the game and you can take your save and continue into the full game if you want. I am going to hold off for a bit on this one. It seems interesting in some ways and janky in others. The english VA is not real good and you can't switch ingame. Character art is nice, but character models look pretty ugly. The soundtrack didn't do much for me either. It may improve as the game progresses but overall the demo didn't suck me in.

Levantine fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jan 26, 2022

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

let us discuss kaga's Saga series

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Light Monark annoyance: The resource you use to upgrade characters is also what you use to buy consumable healing items with.

But otherwise this looks really solid, all things considered.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Endorph posted:

why would you write a character like this

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

MechaX posted:

why would you write a character like this

He was taking a break from incest

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

kirbysuperstar posted:

He was taking a break from incest

don't forget the mind controlled preteens

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
finding out that on top of all the other insane stuff about it tearring saga was a ps1 srpg that came out in, 2001, after even stuff like summon night, is hurting my head the most

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Endorph posted:

:catstare:

Okay what the gently caress is this game?

EDIT: Wait is that Fire Emblem-like SRPG that had you get a character deliberately kidnapped to recruit them as a dancer later? I think I might've heard of this.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it's what happens when kaga releases himself from the binds of fire emblem and makes poverty playstation srpgs with lower budgets than the lowest budget srpgs known to man

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Araxxor posted:

:catstare:

Okay what the gently caress is this game?

EDIT: Wait is that Fire Emblem-like SRPG that had you get a character deliberately kidnapped to recruit them as a dancer later? I think I might've heard of this.

Yes.

Also she's 15 and if you have her brother rescue from slavery he falls in love with her and tells her he needs to leave forever in the ending.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The part that perplexes me the most is that a room appears to be purely filled with chests.

Anyways if that's the last map and it builds up to that it could be fun.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

My favorite thing about tearring saga is not just that kaga originally called it emblem saga its that he openly talked about xane from fire emblem 1 showing up in it. Like he just thought he could do that for some reason

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
also he wanted to name it Emblem Saga and have it star Marth and the court case about that was one of the important precedents in japanese video game IP law

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I was too slow

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Imagine if sakaguchi quit square to make last fantasy and said garland from ff1 was gonna be in it. Like not implied or a nudgenudge reference literally just saying he would be in the game

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

I imagine there might be some Chaos

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Colonel posted:

finding out that on top of all the other insane stuff about it tearring saga was a ps1 srpg that came out in, 2001, after even stuff like summon night, is hurting my head the most
tbf it was less than two years after thracia 776 on the snes so if you think about it like that it was pretty good turnaround time

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I'm still more offended and annoyed by Camilla in Fates than anything Kaga ever did.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Junpei posted:

I'm still more offended and annoyed by Camilla in Fates than anything Kaga ever did.
Why

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Junpei posted:

yeah i wish she were real too