Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Chikimiki posted:

Ah yeah that must be it, since I didn't like the new Pixel launcher I went with Nova launcher. Also I don't like the gestures, so I'm glad there's that solution! Thanks a lot!

Still kinda impressive that Google seems to be so inept at providing a polished mobile OS with a consistent interface, despite years of experience, tons of data and billions of cash :v:

It would become a lot more consistent if they stopped allowing 3rd party launchers or nav button choices

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

sourdough posted:

It would become a lot more consistent if they stopped allowing 3rd party launchers or nav button choices

I doubt they will ever get rid of 3 button nav, but I can see them moving it to accessibility settings. I can see gestures being a nightmare to people with physical ailments.

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde

MikusR posted:

There is no need for glasses. Everybody has perfect vision.

Good point, they should make the status bar clock as big as the lockscreen clock so you can read it easily no matter what app you have open without putting your glasses on

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

sourdough posted:

Chicken and egg problem: if they made a good and customizable launcher we wouldn't need 3rd party.

I tried gestures and I don't like it, 1 time out of 3 it messes up and I open the hamburger menu instead of going back, or I close the app instead of switching to the previous one. 3 button is fine and plenty fast, I don't understand why they gotta mess with it. Just to copy the Apple I guess.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
so after a few days of using my pixel 6 i am still split on it. my biggest issue is its just too heavy. holding it atop my pinky finger(s) literally causes strain and its annoyingly noticable in my pockets/hands. it just feels like a brick.

i like a lot of things about it; great bright screen snappy performance and a good (almost too good) camera but the bulk of it is a real annoyance. im coming from an old lg thinq g⁷ that i still really like, its almost the same screen size but weighs nothin and i was deeply acclimated to their tweaked vanilla Android. but the battery is kaput, the camera is trash (although i dont take that many photos) and its generally pretty sluggish.

are there genuine alternatives to the pixel 6 with a comparable screen size, a good+ camera that dont weigh so much? i dont need a flagship phone and i wont buy a samsung product.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Is anyone familiar with Verizon's Messaging+ app? For some reason my dad can't view any videos sent to him by people with iPhones. I suggested switching to Google Messages, but somehow my mom did something to my dad's phone and now SMS is like locked? He's selected Messages as his SMS app, but it seems Verizon's fuckery is impeding something.

Edit: Lol he disabled some Verizon apps and now everything's fine.

hooah fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jan 25, 2022

CoolRanch
Apr 5, 2019

hooah posted:

Is anyone familiar with Verizon's Messaging+ app? For some reason my dad can't view any videos sent to him by people with iPhones. I suggested switching to Google Messages, but somehow my mom did something to my dad's phone and now SMS is like locked? He's selected Messages as his SMS app, but it seems Verizon's fuckery is impeding something.

Edit: Lol he disabled some Verizon apps and now everything's fine.

Messaging+ uses a hosed version of rcs that’s different than Samsungs messenger and google’s…. Don’t use it

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Chikimiki posted:

Chicken and egg problem: if they made a good and customizable launcher we wouldn't need 3rd party.

I tried gestures and I don't like it, 1 time out of 3 it messes up and I open the hamburger menu instead of going back, or I close the app instead of switching to the previous one. 3 button is fine and plenty fast, I don't understand why they gotta mess with it. Just to copy the Apple I guess.

I don't think apps are still supposed to have hamburger menus these days

Anyway I got used to gesture navigation in two days and wouldn't want to go back now. Just roll with the times I guess

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Their official developer guides still have the hamburger menu https://developer.android.com/guide/navigation/navigation-ui

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

BabyFur Denny posted:

Anyway I got used to gesture navigation in two days and wouldn't want to go back now. Just roll with the times I guess

Same. When I first tried it I wasn't sold but very shortly after I "got" it and now the alternative feels like going back in time in a bad way

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

Their official developer guides still have the hamburger menu https://developer.android.com/guide/navigation/navigation-ui
That guide also still shows the navigation buttons

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I like gesture nav almost entirely because I can be really inaccurate with the back gesture, which works basically anywhere along each side of the screen, instead of having to hit a button at the bottom corner each time. That plus the extra screen real estate makes it the best.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

BabyFur Denny posted:

That guide also still shows the navigation buttons

What do you want me to tell you? The hamburger button is not deprecated.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009
Gmail of all things still uses a hamburger menu :v:

And regarding gestures, to reach his own i guess, but I still don't get how this navigation choice affects the general bugginess of the OS :shrug:

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

If you want me to use something other then 3 buttons to navigate my phone the only gesture I need is

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

CaptainSarcastic posted:

If you want me to use something other then 3 buttons to navigate my phone the only gesture I need is

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
gesture navigation is good, actually

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

FistEnergy posted:

gesture navigation is good, actually

This is what I've heard too :hmmyes:

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
I feel really dumb posting this, but I haven't been able to figure out how to correctly use this newer time picker that Google Assistant has decided to use:

If I delete the numbers and start typing, I get 01 or 12. I have had to highlight the number and then type in what I want (eg 07 or 11).

How am I actually supposed to select the time? Any thoughts?

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

effika posted:

I feel really dumb posting this, but I haven't been able to figure out how to correctly use this newer time picker that Google Assistant has decided to use:

If I delete the numbers and start typing, I get 01 or 12. I have had to highlight the number and then type in what I want (eg 07 or 11).

How am I actually supposed to select the time? Any thoughts?
I feel dumb posting this, but how on earth did you get a GUI for Assistant? I swear that would fix 99% of my assistant issues. If I could just SEE what's happening instead of talking into the void.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

eSporks posted:

I feel dumb posting this, but how on earth did you get a GUI for Assistant? I swear that would fix 99% of my assistant issues. If I could just SEE what's happening instead of talking into the void.

I ask Google to show me my reminders (works about 90% of the time) or sometimes when I expand a notification one of the options is to edit it. Both of those bring up the gui (for what it's worth).

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

effika posted:

I ask Google to show me my reminders (works about 90% of the time) or sometimes when I expand a notification one of the options is to edit it. Both of those bring up the gui (for what it's worth).
Well that explains it. A GUI only accessible by voice command, great design!

When I'm having issues that always gives me the "I'm sorry, I can't do that right now" error.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Anyone have a case recommendation for Pixel 5a, preferably based on first-hand experience? I already have this one...

Spigen Ultra Hybrid Designed for Google Pixel 5a 5G Case (2021) - Crystal Clear

...but I'm finding it too be too bulky for my liking. I'm also concerned that it might be keeping the device too hot, though I'm still experimenting with that. (Several times, I've run into "device too hot, video recording will be disabled" errors.)

I might just need to go for a slimmer Spigen case, which I'm only now realizing are available. But I figured I'd ask around too.

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jan 26, 2022

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I have their thin fit for my Pixel 4a and it rules. It's just enough to be a bit grippier than the bare phone, the very small lip makes it easier to grab, and I like that the buttons are not covered.

I wouldn't really trust it for drop protection.

I wish they had other colors...

Don't Ask
Nov 28, 2002

I have the ultra hybrid on my pixel 5 and the drop protection is pretty great. I've dropped it a whole bunch of times (especially in the past couple of months, thank you newborn sleep deprivation) and the phone is still going strong.
The only downside is that it predictably yellowed, but I don't really mind. It's grippy and I don't think it added too much thickness.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

While we're on case chat, I bought the Bellroy leather case for my Pixel 6 pro and it's great. Thinner than the Spigen I was previously using; probably less protection, but it feels and looks nice.

The "leather" case I had for my 4xl was a tpu case with a piece of leather glued on the back; which felt nice, but doesn't look nearly as nice as having the leather wrap around as this does.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Gesture navigation is the best innovation of touch phones. The buttons and virtual buttons were always hot garbage on larger than 3-4" displays.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

Ihmemies posted:

Gesture navigation is the best innovation of touch phones. The buttons and virtual buttons were always hot garbage on larger than 3-4" displays.

I feel though that iOS does gestures better than Android :v:

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
So I've had a P6 for about a month now and I think the rear fingerprint sensor of my old phone was more reliable. Not so much because of the tech being used, but because the lip from the phone case made positioning consistent. With the front sensor my thumb occasionally slips just enough to ruin the reading and I have to retry.

Smart lock with a trusted device is also garbage now, and after looking it up it seems like Google changed how it worked for security reasons a couple versions ago. Needs to be manually unlocked much more frequently and will sometimes lock itself again with no feedback as to why it locked. I'm also noticing a bug with the always-on display screen showing the fingerprint icon while the actual lock screen shows the unlocked icon if you wake the phone.

The phone has been a pretty great experience otherwise, even if I haven't figured out how to hold the phone for landscape photos without blocking the flash but also not feeling like I'm going to drop it. It's a slippery boi though, I already smashed up my screen protector trying to use it naked and I have a lot of accidental presses on the edges just from holding the phone when caseless. Definitely seems intended to be used with a case.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Ihmemies posted:

I'm trying out gestures but I can't figure out how to access a hamburger menu on the top left without awkwardly reaching or using two hands.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Chikimiki posted:

I feel though that iOS does gestures better than Android :v:

Nope, no back gesture = half assed.

Otherwise they function exactly the same.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
Anyone using a Flip 3 long-term? Wondering how they're holding up as I'm looking to replace my OP7T Pro. The Pixel 6 would be my pick, but Google still won't sell me their phones, so if the reasonable choice is not available I'll go for the more interesting but potentially dumb one. I have owned and cherished many such phones, including both N-gage models, so the Flip 3 should be right up my alley, as long as 1) the OS support and RAM management are better than Oneplus' and 2) the soft display and hinge are solid.

cage-free egghead posted:

I'm trying out gestures but I can't figure out how to access a hamburger menu on the top left without awkwardly reaching or using two hands.

If you hold on for a second anywhere along the edge instead of swiping right away, you'll "grab" the menu.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Mine hasn't seen heavy use lately as I'm mostly P6P now, but otherwise I haven't had any issues with the Z Flip 3.

Was actually thinking of switching back to it for shits and giggles just for something different because I still really do like the form factor and right now the potato camera doesn't matter with outside being a frozen COVID infected hellscape.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

seravid posted:

If you hold on for a second anywhere along the edge instead of swiping right away, you'll "grab" the menu.

:aaaaa:

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

seravid posted:

I can get it to happen in like one out of every 5 tries but my phone seems to think I'm trying to go back a page or highlight words.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
I didn't know about that trick but it works perfectly for me :cheers:

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

I can get it to happen in like one out of every 5 tries but my phone seems to think I'm trying to go back a page or highlight words.

Same here, too awkward for me. Buttons forever!

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

After using the 5a pretty heavily for a few days now I'm impressed - the battery life is excellent, the overall size/weight/form factor feels great to use, and it basically has all the same features as my old 6p and more. Obviously a huge upgrade but yeah. For only $350 on the pixel store it was worth it.

I still don't really like the look of android 12 UI, ugly-rear end pastel fisher price design with very limited customization options. The main appeal of the pixel 6 for me would be the tensor cpu/90hz display, but probably just going to stick with the 5a for now. the price is right

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yeah, I seem to be having the same problem with it that I have with getting to the app switcher. It's too similar to another gesture. It's also likely that I'm just an idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Do you have really shaky hands or anything like that? If you just hold your thumb at the edge for a quarter second or so, not any movement, whatever side panel is there should pop right out a tiny bit