Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

SquirrelyPSU posted:

I'm sure I've said this before, but if you ever get a chance to go walk around the decommed carriers in Bremerton, its worth a trip.

I spent an afternoon trying to raid magazine sprinkler bits from whatever was there at the time (2009?). I think it was the KH, Ranger, Independence, and Constellation. You walk up to the ship and they throw a master breaker to turn the lights on, and then its just you and like two other guys walking around in a place meant for five thousand.

Yeah. I was doing something at NNSY and got sent to get parts out of the Ex-USS-McKee. "Make sure you take a buddy!" yeah yeah, two-person integrity. I get it.

"No, so if you fall through a deckplate, someone knows where you are and can get to you before you suffocate in a confined space."

:stonk: Very well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Crab Dad posted:

Kinda late champ. No carriers left in the mothball fleet.

I mean, I'm not late, I was there. Did they get rid of all of the decom'd carriers?

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Yeah. I was doing something at NNSY and got sent to get parts out of the Ex-USS-McKee. "Make sure you take a buddy!" yeah yeah, two-person integrity. I get it.

"No, so if you fall through a deckplate, someone knows where you are and can get to you before you suffocate in a confined space."

:stonk: Very well.

Very much this.

Fiye
Nov 23, 2021

No one can hide anything from me.
Your heart is in plain sight to me.

SquirrelyPSU posted:

I'm sure I've said this before, but if you ever get a chance to go walk around the decommed carriers in Bremerton, its worth a trip.

I spent an afternoon trying to raid magazine sprinkler bits from whatever was there at the time (2009?). I think it was the KH, Ranger, Independence, and Constellation. You walk up to the ship and they throw a master breaker to turn the lights on, and then its just you and like two other guys walking around in a place meant for five thousand.

Being in Norfolk when it was snowing a freezing cold in 2016 and it was weird having everything be shutdown and freezing cold on the enterprise when a few years back we were in the gulf with the enginerooms having stay times of 5 minutes lol.

Definitely a loving trip and eerie as gently caress to see a place go from busting and looking decent to worn down and decrepit.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

SquirrelyPSU posted:

I mean, I'm not late, I was there. Did they get rid of all of the decom'd carriers?

Very much this.

Yeah the Kitty was the last of the carriers. Nimitz is next in a few more years to be layed up.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Are there still ships mothballed? Suisun is almost empty and they cleared out a lot of the others. They should just consolidate but noone is running those ships till they go to Texas anyways so probably too much hassle.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

lightpole posted:

Are there still ships mothballed? Suisun is almost empty and they cleared out a lot of the others. They should just consolidate but noone is running those ships till they go to Texas anyways so probably too much hassle.

There's about.... eh 8? ships in Bremerton right now if you dont include 20 or so submarines waiting to be cut up. Perhaps 4 various landing ship/transports, a pair of frigates, the LCS Independence (just got here last year). With the KittyHawk gone it's gonna look pretty empty.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Crab Dad posted:

There's about.... eh 8? ships in Bremerton right now if you dont include 20 or so submarines waiting to be cut up. Perhaps 4 various landing ship/transports, a pair of frigates, the LCS Independence (just got here last year). With the KittyHawk gone it's gonna look pretty empty.

Last time I was there they had two or maybe even three. I think maybe the Kennedy and the Constitution? Maybe the Independence?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
I used to walk through the decommed areas to get to the gate on the other side of the base because it was closer to the ferry terminal. Always neat to pass different ships in different stages of being prepped for scrapping.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Last time I was there they had two or maybe even three. I think maybe the Kennedy and the Constitution? Maybe the Independence?

There's only one Constitution and she's in Boston.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
Connie I think was at Bremerton.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Syrian Lannister posted:

Connie I think was at Bremerton.

That's the Constellation

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

McNally posted:

That's the Constellation

Yes, that is the one I was thinking of.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Reminder that Constitution is the only active USN ship to have sunk an enemy in combat.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

please don't do this I'm on the lake champlain and we say this instead of shipmate and i'm triggered now

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

please don't do this I'm on the lake champlain and we say this instead of shipmate and i'm triggered now

Don’t fall apart chump.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

Crab Dad posted:

Don’t fall apart chump.

ACTUALLY falling apart would actually be the most on-brand thing a CHAMP could do because CROOSERS LOL

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Godholio posted:

Reminder that Constitution is the only active USN ship to have sunk an enemy in combat.

This is a newer nicer navy, we no longer enter combat but we still rack up the tonnage.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Godholio posted:

To be fair, every single service member swears an oath to protect and defend her.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

piL posted:

To be fair, every single service member swears an oath to protect and defend her.

:downsrim:

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Godholio posted:

Are there no active USN vessels that have collided with and sunk other US flagged ships?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
There are a couple of reasons I had to be a lot more selective with my wording than I should have.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Crab Dad posted:

I just saw LCS 2 with the carriers out of the way, in commission for 11 years, what a waste of loving money.

PSNS could definitely break up a carrier, they're probably just too busy, and they have all those submarine hulks sitting around because they're only allowed to break up so many ships/year due to environmental stuff.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Elviscat posted:

I just saw LCS 2 with the carriers out of the way, in commission for 11 years, what a waste of loving money.

We're decomming I think all the way up to 6.

Like many things dod related lcs was mostly a jobs program.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

PneumonicBook posted:

As long as they do research and development off of it I think it’s good but lol sometimes I really wonder….

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

PneumonicBook posted:

They were loving fast, though.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Mr. Nice! posted:

Till their transmissions blew up.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Elviscat posted:

PSNS could definitely break up a carrier, they're probably just too busy, and they have all those submarine hulks sitting around because they're only allowed to break up so many ships/year due to environmental stuff.

Sometimes I get to see them floating the old reactor compartments from subs up the Columbia. It is pretty neat! I have not seen one for a while, but it might be fun to go up on the roof and get a good picture next time one comes by. Although by the nature of it they don't really advertize it.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Godholio posted:

The Greeneville was just fighting the last war

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Mr. Nice! posted:

I've never gone faster on one than I have on a ddg. I mean the loving 30 year old mobile bay was very close to our average lcs high speed runs lmao.

1 and 3 were legitimately very fast but they completely changed the plant after them.

My experience is literally only with freedom, maybe indys are faster.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Slow commute traffic today.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Sometimes I get to see them floating the old reactor compartments from subs up the Columbia. It is pretty neat! I have not seen one for a while, but it might be fun to go up on the roof and get a good picture next time one comes by. Although by the nature of it they don't really advertize it.

Reminds me of when I was a kid and they pulled the core out of the Trojan nuclear plant to float down the river to Hanford.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Just got an email from an LT CANREC looking for SELRES or IRR junior O for a two year recall to NY district to recruit. Almost want to email back if he knows something I don't since I left to reserves two years ago as an ISC.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Nick Soapdish posted:

Just got an email from an LT CANREC looking for SELRES or IRR junior O for a two year recall to NY district to recruit. Almost want to email back if he knows something I don't since I left to reserves two years ago as an ISC.

Is that NYC included because that would be some loving baller orders.

Just dont gently caress the recruits and have some fun.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Crab Dad posted:

Yeah, says NYC/Long Island area

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Watch Crab dad continue his Navy dream run lol.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Its like Brady, I ain't betting against it ever.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Crab Dad posted:

Recruiting sucks and I'd bet recruiting in NYC also sucks however you have clearly made your navy luck Stat go negative which the system reads as infinite luck so for you, yes, they would be baller orders.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Nah, I can’t ditch my family so soon. Love the little rascals and wife. Not gonna take any long term orders for another 2-3 years.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Holy poo poo, I just got permission to blow off the Chief's exam, that's a first for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Elviscat posted:

Holy poo poo, I just got permission to blow off the Chief's exam, that's a first for me.

Wow. You either turbo pissed someone off or have someone decent in charge.