Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Dave Syndrome posted:

Deep Space Nine was always Star Trek's grubby cousin, and I loved that. Not "here's the problem of the week, we solved it, now we'll be on our way", but "here's an unsolvable dilemma, we'll have to compromise our lofty ideals in order to somehow get through it, and in about five episodes our decision is gonna bite us in the rear end".

Returning to the topic of media that didn't age well: Holy gently caress is that show's title sequence ever looooooonnnnng.

DS9 was Trek in name only. Most of the show was basically "the Federation doesn't work" from season 3 onwards. It was a fascinating approach at the time and has I think solidified DS9 as the best series of that Era.

TNG is classic almost trying to re-capture the TOS feel, Voyager is a bit of a mess, and ENT was a weird experiment to avoid going too long without a Star Trek show on the airwaves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
My takeaway from the last season of B99 was that Michael Schur and his production company also did The Good Place and they found it easier to believably reform Heaven and Hell than the NYPD

Of course, it's not like you get actual demons or angels out there loving up people's lives every day to make quota.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

There's a late season episode of DS9 where Sisko recounts how he was implicit complicit in a murder to get the Romulans into the Dominion War and it ends with him saying "...and I'd do it again." DS9 loving rules.

Detective No. 27 has a new favorite as of 00:18 on Jan 26, 2022

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Detective No. 27 posted:

There's a late season episode of DS9 where Sisko recounts how he was implicit in a murder to get the Romulans into the Dominion War and it ends with him saying "...and I'd do it again." DS9 loving rules.

I feel like the writers really built up In the Pale Moonlight, but it's neither the first nor the last time we see Sisko go to extreme, deadly measures to get his way.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
People talk about how dark and cynical DS9 is but I just wanna mention that it is still fundamentally optimistic about human nature and the power of faith and love. It just doesn't ignore the dark side of those things either. It's dark and cynical compared with TNG, for sure, I'm not arguing that. But it's not a depressing show to watch, it won't make you sad overall, it doesn't hate people the way some 'dark' shows hate people.

I dunno it's my favourite TV show of all time and I am full of feelings about it.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

HopperUK posted:

People talk about how dark and cynical DS9 is but I just wanna mention that it is still fundamentally optimistic about human nature and the power of faith and love. It just doesn't ignore the dark side of those things either. It's dark and cynical compared with TNG, for sure, I'm not arguing that. But it's not a depressing show to watch, it won't make you sad overall, it doesn't hate people the way some 'dark' shows hate people.

I dunno it's my favourite TV show of all time and I am full of feelings about it.

Oh absolutely. Something like Vic Fontaine would be a shark jumping character introduction in pretty much any other show but he just worked.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I feel like the writers really built up In the Pale Moonlight, but it's neither the first nor the last time we see Sisko go to extreme, deadly measures to get his way.

Yeah, the season before he threatens to murder a shitload of people unless Eddington gives himself up.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

HopperUK posted:

. But it's not a depressing show to watch, it won't make you sad overall, it doesn't hate people the way some 'dark' shows hate people.

O’Brien?!?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
So Disney is making a live action Snow White. Somehow thought they already had, but whatever. So Peter Dinklage of Tyrion Lannister fame has been blasting them for a few days. And it has me wondering if Disney really dares to do a live action Hunchback of Notre Dame or Pocahontas. I can't imagine either of those will be easy.

poo poo, for the live action Aristocats they just need to cut the racist cat gang and call it a day.

I mean, I do see where Dinklage is coming from, but aren't the dwarves in Lord of the Rings and Snow White clearly not human?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Well which do you think came first? Fairy tales about dwarves or people born with under performing endocrine systems?

These stories weren't created in a vacuum. Stories of little bands dwarves living happily in the forests can probably be traced back to the practice of leaving children born with the condition in the forest.

Macdeo Lurjtux has a new favorite as of 04:50 on Jan 26, 2022

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
I'm on Dinklage's side but I could have come up with "a commune of very short magical men" without the real life existence of dwarfism :colbert:

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Dinklage directly calling out Disney on being progressive in areas where it's good pr and when there is a profit motive is pretty great.
Not so great, people saying Peter is only upset cause he wasn't considered for the cast or something.

Wonder if they'll go the Willy Wonka route, have the seven dwarves and also they're cgi to deprive actors of work. Double whammy.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
His entire role in Elf is to have dwarfism be the punchline for Will Farrell’s character thinking Dinklage is an angry elf. I’m not sure how seriously I take his criticism of a random fairytale. It’s definitely dependent on Disney’s execution and use in the movie (e.g. Wizard of Oz vs. LOTR) and not just the existence of the movie.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Nottherealaborn posted:

His entire role in Elf is to have dwarfism be the punchline for Will Farrell’s character thinking Dinklage is an angry elf. I’m not sure how seriously I take his criticism of a random fairytale. It’s definitely dependent on Disney’s execution and use in the movie (e.g. Wizard of Oz vs. LOTR) and not just the existence of the movie.

Oh, you're saying an actor with dwarfism had to make do with roles which featured it strongly and is now speaking up when he's gathered enough clout to do so? How suspicious. :nallears:

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Nottherealaborn posted:

This is pretty hosed up given that he turned down tons of jobs to avoid perpetuating the dwarf stereotypes and was basically a non entity until an indie film took a huge risk to cast him as a leading man.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Cowslips Warren posted:

So Disney is making a live action Snow White. Somehow thought they already had, but whatever.

You might be thinking of Mirror Mirror, which was marketed to look like a Disney movie but wasn't. The cover art looks like a palette swap of The Princess Diaries, but it looks like Relativity media released it.

It came out at about the same time as the cursed Snow White and the Huntsman, which was released by Universal.

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣

Nottherealaborn posted:

You... you mean like how in Elf Dinklage's character is like the top children's author, everyone is mortified by Buddy's ignorant behaviour, and gets his rear end beaten by Dinklage? It's a bit simple, but it sends a pretty consistent message with his other roles

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

You might be thinking of Mirror Mirror, which was marketed to look like a Disney movie but wasn't. The cover art looks like a palette swap of The Princess Diaries, but it looks like Relativity media released it.

It came out at about the same time as the cursed Snow White and the Huntsman, which was released by Universal.

Mirror mirror, if it was the one I was thinking of, was a weird adaption as Sigourney Weaver playing the Wicked Queen as a schizophrenic who was hearing voices via her mirror was an interesting take but the dwarves I remember being weirdly rapey when they first met Snow White. Been a long time since I've watched it though.

Ortho
Jul 6, 2021

Speaking of copaganda, it's absent in the Perry Mason series. Tragg is the lone good cop. All the others are either corrupt of woefully incompetent, right up to the district attorney. It's even worse in his Cool & Lam series. There's a whole story about cops running an organized crime ring,

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

MariusLecter posted:

Wonder if they'll go the Willy Wonka route, have the seven dwarves and also they're cgi to deprive actors of work. Double whammy.
Shouldn't they be either cgi'ed or prosthetic'ed regardless of who plays/mocaps them? They're supposed to be magical forest creatures, not little people. "Snow White and the Seven Gnomes" vs "Snow White and the Seven People with Achondroplasia"

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

the Spain Virus posted:

Speaking of copaganda, it's absent in the Perry Mason series. Tragg is the lone good cop. All the others are either corrupt of woefully incompetent, right up to the district attorney. It's even worse in his Cool & Lam series. There's a whole story about cops running an organized crime ring,

Huh, kind of interesting. Wonder when the full throated cop worship started in media. Feel like Hill Street Blues was probably the start of the trend despite not showing cops in a glowing light and every successive attempt to make a cop drama leaned more into the "bad things for good reasons" with every iteration.

Don't think cops were highly regarded in the 50s and 60s, and the massive ramp in crime in the 70s and 80s probably led to more people having contempt for the useless police at the time.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

BioEnchanted posted:

Mirror mirror, if it was the one I was thinking of, was a weird adaption as Sigourney Weaver playing the Wicked Queen as a schizophrenic who was hearing voices via her mirror was an interesting take but the dwarves I remember being weirdly rapey when they first met Snow White. Been a long time since I've watched it though.

That one’s apparently Snow White: A Tale of Terror from 1997. Mirror Mirror is from 2012, stars Julia Roberts and Lily Collins, and is directed by Tarsem. It has some real weird tonal dissonance, but also some stunning Tarsem visuals. Worth a watch just for the spectacle (and do try to track down the version with the full Bollywood ending if you can).

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

You... you mean like how in Elf Dinklage's character is like the top children's author, everyone is mortified by Buddy's ignorant behaviour, and gets his rear end beaten by Dinklage? It's a bit simple, but it sends a pretty consistent message with his other roles

I didn't realise this was Dinklage until very recently, but I definitely remembered the scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVBclV5ps2U

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

pentyne posted:

Huh, kind of interesting. Wonder when the full throated cop worship started in media. Feel like Hill Street Blues was probably the start of the trend despite not showing cops in a glowing light and every successive attempt to make a cop drama leaned more into the "bad things for good reasons" with every iteration.

Don't think cops were highly regarded in the 50s and 60s, and the massive ramp in crime in the 70s and 80s probably led to more people having contempt for the useless police at the time.

I think the public perception of cops VS how media presents them has always been at odds with one another.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Media famously never featured the police as protagonists until the 1980s

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Media is owned by the rich who absolutely love the police.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Burkion posted:

I think the public perception of cops VS how media presents them has always been at odds with one another.

The CNN series of the Decades talked about HSB as being some radical innovative cop drama that tried to make the cops feel like real people but also was the "cops do bad things but its because they care so much" which followed into NYPD Blue (also by Steven Bochco) which was more of the same only Dennis Franz was an alcoholic rear end in a top hat but still a "good" cop (I think?) and before it ended The Shield started up in 2002 which was straight up "these cops are murderers and drug dealers" but still had a heavy touch of hero worship about them.

Going from 1980 to 2020 for cop shows has led to a pretty stark divide between something like Southland (A+ loving great show) and Blue Bloods (they're the most noble of noble selfless heroes holding the line against anarchy)

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣
Miami Vice was insane, one episode there's some white college kid mixed up in dealing drugs, and Tubbs explicitly states he finds that more important to fix than someone "with no future". Episodes often end in a chase if the suspect is white and a balls to the wall, machine gun and uzi shootout with "the Colombians"

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

pentyne posted:

Lmao. Andy Griffith was America's favorite cop.

Hell, you had Adam 12, Dragnet, CHiPs, Hawaii Five-O. Plenty of popular cop shut in the 50/60s/70s.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Toshimo posted:

Lmao. Andy Griffith was America's favorite cop.

Hell, you had Adam 12, Dragnet, CHiPs, Hawaii Five-O. Plenty of popular cop shut in the 50/60s/70s.

Yeah I'm thinking more of the shows that were basically portraying the rampant violent civil rights abuses as a good & necessary thing and pretending like the TV cops felt bad they had to do it but always justified in the end. A lot of civil rights weren't even recognized as a thing until the late 60s. Gideon v Wainwright was 1963 and Miranda was '66

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

pentyne posted:

IIRC, the old Dick Tracy comics had Dick lamenting how all of the new rules of the time were making it harder for cops to do their job and let criminals walk away scot free.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

the_steve posted:

I do remember the Ben Grimm thing though. He was a little bit upset that he was forcibly pulled from Literal Heaven without anyone actually asking him if he wanted to come back to life.
It wasn't long after that he realized he was actually insanely rich because no one ever told him that he was getting a cut from all the Fantastic 4 merch over the years and it just sat there accumulating, right?

As I recall it was more than that: having been dead at the time he hadn't been part of the FF's divestment, so he still had a quarter share in all Reed's work and was thus one of the richest men in the world. It didn't last, but it did give us the classic moment where Ben asks his secretary for Bill Gates's fax number and a moment alone with the photocopier. The next panel is Bill Gates looking at a fax and saying "I don't understand. Why would Ben Grimm fax me a photo of the Grand Canyon?"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Dinklage in Days of Future Past was a fun stealth joke.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Foxfire_ posted:

Shouldn't they be either cgi'ed or prosthetic'ed regardless of who plays/mocaps them? They're supposed to be magical forest creatures, not little people. "Snow White and the Seven Gnomes" vs "Snow White and the Seven People with Achondroplasia"

They did that with Snow White and the Huntsman to cringe reactions, especially from dwarf actors who threatened to have a march on the studio. Similar to the reaction to the updated Willy Wonka using CGI instead of actors.

Being magical forest creatures doesn't erase that they're based on people with dwarfism.
It's a dilemma and one where you can cut both ways by being double wrong in doing the stereotype of dwarfism and then cutting out the real people being portrayed.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Well which do you think came first? Fairy tales about dwarves or people born with under performing endocrine systems?

These stories weren't created in a vacuum. Stories of little bands dwarves living happily in the forests can probably be traced back to the practice of leaving children born with the condition in the forest.

All the abuse Dinklage suffers from his family on GoT is rough. It's especially spelled out that his father didn't just do the baby abandoning cause of their family codes of honor and literally nothing else.

e;
Not saying it's aged poorly. His character drama going through all that was very compelling.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

MariusLecter posted:

They did that with Snow White and the Huntsman to cringe reactions, especially from dwarf actors who threatened to have a march on the studio. Similar to the reaction to the updated Willy Wonka using CGI instead of actors.

Snow White and the Huntsman basically took the worst path by using real little people actors and just replacing their heads with famous actors. I have no clue how that got passed the planning stage.

It also looked absolutely terrible.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Was there any complaints or protests about Lord of the Rings? Kind of a funny once there since you've got dwarves and hobbits who are both little people of different kinds.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

HopperUK posted:

Totally with you there. DS9 is a full deconstruction and reconstruction of Gene Roddenberry's vision -- with the reconstruction being the ultimate aim of the whole thing. But as is always the case with deconstruction, a lot of people don't give it the chance to play out to the end and find that the core is still there, and in fact stronger than ever because of it. Yes, there's a big bloody war at the climax of the series and the Federation gets their hands dirty; but ultimately, the Federation's presence in the Alpha quadrant really does seem to be the thing that keeps it from suffering the same fate as the Gamma quadrant. They ultimately win the day through the force of their ideals, even when they themselves don't always live up to them. Cardassia's citizens revolt against fascism after it fails them, and the Dominion surrenders willingly, rather than just being blowed up by the good guys. In the end, it's Trek through and through. But it's an honest and messy version of it.

Of course, there are always going to be people who insist that the Federation won because they betrayed their ideals rather than despite it -- either as a criticism or as a proof text. I'm not sure how to counter that, other than that I really think it's not a good reading of the show, and seems to ignore a lot of subtext and dialog in favor of just recounting the plot events. Again, this makes it a little messier than a simple morality play where the good guys only do good things and are rewarded, but I think it's necessary. Otherwise basically we're all screwed because we've all messed up.

Gordon Shumway posted:

Yeah, the season before he threatens to murder a shitload of people unless Eddington gives himself up.

This is very frequently misremembered. What he actually does is render a planet uninhabitable for humans specifically, forcing them to leave -- which is still pretty severe, but nobody was going to straight-up die from it. (Although it's a bit simplistic, since surely there might be side effects for at least a few people... But you know how it is with sci-fi and planets basically being equivalent to small towns.)

Nottherealaborn posted:

His entire role in Elf is to have dwarfism be the punchline for Will Farrell’s character thinking Dinklage is an angry elf. I’m not sure how seriously I take his criticism of a random fairytale.

My guess is you should not in fact take it seriously. I can't be bothered / don't have access to listen to the original interview, but I saw the same article (probably) and I smell clickbait. The quotes from him definitely sound like he's kind of doing a bit, in a way that wouldn't come across without hearing his tone of voice. Similar to the recent thing with John Stewart discussing antisemitism in Harry Potter. (Not that there aren't valid discussions to be had about both of these things, but the quotes sounded so much more humorless and condemning in print.)

Sir Lemming has a new favorite as of 14:07 on Jan 26, 2022

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

the_steve posted:

IIRC, the old Dick Tracy comics had Dick lamenting how all of the new rules of the time were making it harder for cops to do their job and let criminals walk away scot free.

In an old time-y radio podcast I listen to, there was an episode of Dragnet that derided Miranda rights.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Dragnet was such a successful piece of propaganda on the radio and on tv that people thought Jack Webb worked for the lapd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Jesus Christ, I skipped six hundred pages and you're still talking about Star Trek?