Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
I have never heard of this series before and one of the first Youtube videos I am seeing here is "Tear Ring Saga - The 'True' Successor to FE5"

Man this looks... like budget Fire Emblem through and through and is giving me some real Winkysoft/Banpresto and ZOE Fist of Mars v SRW vibes here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

MechaX posted:

I have never heard of this series before and one of the first Youtube videos I am seeing here is "Tear Ring Saga - The 'True' Successor to FE5"

Man this looks... like budget Fire Emblem through and through and is giving me some real Winkysoft/Banpresto and ZOE Fist of Mars v SRW vibes here

Near as I can tell from the credits the game was made by about 20 people.

It's actually a fairly important game since while Kaga was forced to pay Nintendo and change the name of the game, he retained all rights to sell the game. And the game was a financial success, so presumably the fee was fairly minor. This established the precedent that its fine for creators to leave companies, start their own studio, say they're the developers of a previous game, and make a game similar to it. You can see this today with stuff like FROM THE CREATOR OF CASTLEVANIA, BLOODSTAINED and FROM THE CREATOR OF MEGAMAN, MIGHTY NUMBER NINE. The only thing Kaga got in trouble for was the name Emblem Saga, not making Basically Fire Emblem and marketing it as from the creator of Fire Emblem.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Junpei posted:

I'm still more offended and annoyed by Camilla in Fates than anything Kaga ever did.

what

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Did everyone just forget how much rage Camilla got when Fates dropped and she acted weird and flirty towards Corrin

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the problem with fates wasn't camilla, it was that fates was a bad game

the way modern fire emblem treats female characters, is still way better than how kaga does

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Junpei posted:

Did everyone just forget how much rage Camilla got when Fates dropped and she acted weird and flirty towards Corrin
personally i think camilla's flirty big sister shtick is mildly eye-rolly but shes at least an adult woman with an actual personality who isnt shamed for not being a perfect wife which is way better than how kaga writes female characters.

there's literally like 7 separate characters in tearring saga who mention getting pregnant at 15, and also kaga went on a giant unpromptd rant about how the flirty dancer girl from fe4 matures and becomes a good wife even though there's no indication of that in game.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

and frankly surgically detach camilla from corrin and shes actually a pretty strong character, her relationships with her other siblings are strong, she's got a good base design even if her outfit is a little goofy, i like how she bounces off her two bodyguards, her backstory's really interesting. shes one of the better characters in fates.

peep this official art

Endorph fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jan 26, 2022

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I mean, the better comparison is Leif/Nanna, Shigen/Julia and in Berwick, Reese/Lanette, all of which are examples of the same "Adopted siblings eventually fall in love" thing.

Corrin, up until the route split, has assumed all his life that Camilla is his birth sister, and then when he finds out he can marry her, which is Not How That Works. At least in the above three, they all knew from very early on that they weren't related, and in the last case the adoption only happened recently because her dad went crazy, and they had known each other as friend before the adoption.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I'm not defending the dancer thing, that's legit awful, my beef is purely with the 'I'm not actually your sister so we can get married' poo poo

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

would you prefer 'i dont know youre my sister so lets get married' or 'i know you're my sister but lets get married anyway?' because kaga did both of those. do you want less cowardice in your incest fetish? because thats fair but i need to know where you're coming from here.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
even taking anything about camilla into account more recent fire emblem games, still give female units more equal class opportunities and stats, than old fire emblem, and in general the series post-kaga is less weird about them

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
buddy I'm a Trails fan who thinks Estelle and Joshua are really drat cute together

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
what

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

clearly they desire less cowardice

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Okay how about we just split the difference: Old FE/Kaga 'FE' can be gross in weird ways, and New FE can be gross in weird ways (player avatar worship), but they can both be fun as games and they both have their merits.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
that was not a "what" directed at the statement that was a "what" directed at "how does this reinforce the argument that camilla is the worst thing to ever happen to a woman in fire emblem"

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Junpei posted:

Okay how about we just split the difference: Old FE/Kaga 'FE' can be gross in weird ways, and New FE can be gross in weird ways (player avatar worship), but they can both be fun as games and they both have their merits.

these are different consequences in writing though. like very very different. modern fe even is already responding to those aspects with three houses giving characters within the group more options aside from the protagonist

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

camillas clothes are kinda dumb but i feel like if u just surgically removed corrin from fates the net good of every character jumps up by at least 20%, including camilla maybe??

Endorph posted:

let us discuss kaga's Saga series

does this mean this lady was walking around in dirt brownface for 90% of the game

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
not even to like disagree with the statement that kaga fe has some unique and weird and fun stuff going on mechanically just you. you don't have to defend kaga's approach to female characters. you can say his games have interesting ideas without making a thing about how modern fire emblem is just as bad because there was one bad game and the player insert stuff is wonky

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
fates is the worst FE but it isn't cause of camilla

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Araxxor posted:

:catstare:

Okay what the gently caress is this game?

EDIT: Wait is that Fire Emblem-like SRPG that had you get a character deliberately kidnapped to recruit them as a dancer later? I think I might've heard of this.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/694770/Vestaria_Saga_I_War_of_the_Scions/

Think it's this

e: Oh its the earlier Saga series he did. Oops.

Kild fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jan 26, 2022

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Booky posted:

does this mean this lady was walking around in dirt brownface for 90% of the game

it means kaga thinks that dark skin looks the same as being covered in dirt and that it makes her less beautiful

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i've been playing echoes for the first time. having fun with it

kinda wish there was a switch port so i could have non-3ds crushed hidari art though

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Booky posted:

buddy try the entire game, thats from the ending!!

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
TRS does have some cool gameplay ideas tbh. Kaga was a good game designer, just a creepy writer, and unfortunately he decided he ought to be both

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

speaking of kaga i made this once in ms paint and it took me like 20 minutes

Endorph posted:

buddy try the entire game, thats from the ending!!

cheetah7071 posted:

it means kaga thinks that dark skin looks the same as being covered in dirt and that it makes her less beautiful

:yikes: that Sucks, im even more glad kagas gone now!!

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Almost every character of the opposite sex having to have the Avatar as a romance option makes them less interesting as characters because you have to shoehorn a way for them to want to bang the MC after 3 talks where the possibility doesn't come up.

Also the way you state "Kaga's approach to female characters" implies that every woman he ever wrote is bad in some way which I think is too blanket of a statement. Tear Ring has some well-written women, like Sierra, Raquel, and Sun. Not that this excuses how other characters are written, mind, I'm just saying that there are peaks and valleys and you can't just point to the worst examples and say it's indicative of the whole.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

The Colonel posted:

kinda wish there was a switch port so i could have non-3ds crushed hidari art though

it's remarkable both how faithful the map and encounter design are to the original, and how well the art and expanded story carry the game into still being good

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Looper posted:

it's remarkable both how faithful the map and encounter design are to the original, and how well the art and expanded story carry the game into still being good

Cavalier is doing his best

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

The Colonel posted:

hidari art deserves to be hi-res

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Junpei posted:

Almost every character of the opposite sex having to have the Avatar as a romance option makes them less interesting as characters because you have to shoehorn a way for them to want to bang the MC after 3 talks where the possibility doesn't come up.
i mean most of the three houses characters are good. frankly theyre by and large the best cast in the series by a mile.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
three houses also, again, responds to the issue by giving its cast way more options amongst each other. to the point that game reviewers complained there weren't enough gay options, because it turned out a lot of the gay options were between the different characters and not with the protag and none of them considered this

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Junpei posted:

Also the way you state "Kaga's approach to female characters" implies that every woman he ever wrote is bad in some way which I think is too blanket of a statement. Tear Ring has some well-written women, like Sierra, Raquel, and Sun. Not that this excuses how other characters are written, mind, I'm just saying that there are peaks and valleys and you can't just point to the worst examples and say it's indicative of the whole.

Okay but your original assertion was:

Junpei posted:

I'm still more offended and annoyed by Camilla in Fates than anything Kaga ever did.

Camilla wanting to bone the adopted-sibling-protagonist is a weird and uncomfortable character trait(which is shared on varying levels by every fates royal) but I'm really not sure how it can be more offensive than Kaga hanging entire plotlines around babies produced by mind control incest(remember FE4?) and the continual recurrence of stuff like pregnant 15 year olds as plot devices, even if you disregard some of the staggeringly awful side character plots like Tearring's infamous dancer girl or dirt-blackface-girl up there.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jan 26, 2022

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I agree, destroy Corrin.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Clarste posted:

I agree, destroy Corrin.

This would improve Fates by a lot instantaneously, because Corrin is the worst character in Conquest by a country mile. They're okay in Birthright but that's mostly because Birthright's plot is so generic that they're pretty much Generic McHero.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

endorphs earlier comments got me to thinkin and now im wondering if removing corrin would actually make fates better??? like just hit backspace and make uhh i dunno xander or azura or smth the protag

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

You could slide Azura into the protagonist slot pretty easily, especially because Azura has agency and goals.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Junpei posted:

Indeed, the same could be said of all Fire Emblem characters....,

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i think fates not having a weird mess of a writing process where they hired a famous manga writer and then rewrote most of what they gave them in a game that was split up into like 2+1 games would have made it better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Okay that may have been hyperbolic/overblown, that comment. I apologize.