Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Osgir, Winota, Feather, and Koll are an order of magnitude more powerful than the other Boros commanders, but I’m quite confident a Big Spells Velomachus Lorehold deck could be a really fun battle cruiser experience

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

my in-person playgroup isn't super cutthroat and we're welcoming a new guy in who's entirely new to the game so i'm building a fun Jared Carthalion deck

it looks like the challenge is going to be designing a pile that isn't just a punching bag; i'm thinking curses instead of any kinda pillowforty stuff but i'm wondering how easy it'll be to incentivize attacking someone else when i'm the monarch

any of y'all have any experience with jerry, or seen him in the wild?

Yeah I built this when he came out. My main idea was running lots of Earthquake effects, both to pump Jerry and also to eliminate the possibility of losing monarch. You just run goad effects and a couple angels or dragons to keep you safe from fliers and then hopefully your big fat King Jerry gets Rancor or Shadowspear and you just push people down.

The problem was just that the deck DEMANDS set up, you can’t just kinda play your cards in whatever order because they won’t accomplish anything. You need to have protection, play Jerry, make him big, keep Monarch the whole time… it’s a very tall order for a battlecruiser Naya deck (especially that is drawing their opponents more cards!!!!), but still fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Bust Rodd posted:

Uh, I’m sorry dude, but your Plan A is to connect 9 separate attacks over the course of the game to beat out a table with Etrata? That’s just never gonna happen.

T1 Sol Ring
T2 Etrata
T3-T12 attack with Etrata, Ninjutsu her, play her again? repeat?

the part that i really don't like about her is that you can't even proliferate the wincon counters, because it counts the number of cards she exiles, and that's before you even get into that she's shut off entirely if they don't have any creatures out

like i guess you could run a buncha stuff to make extra turns, but what deck can't win by taking extra turns as a strategy

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

my in-person playgroup isn't super cutthroat and we're welcoming a new guy in who's entirely new to the game so i'm building a fun Jared Carthalion deck

it looks like the challenge is going to be designing a pile that isn't just a punching bag; i'm thinking curses instead of any kinda pillowforty stuff but i'm wondering how easy it'll be to incentivize attacking someone else when i'm the monarch

The problem I've faced is that getting monarch and keeping it can be kind of a challenge. Trailblazer's Boots are fantastic equipment for Jared in commander and come highly recommended. Run all 3 of the available Thrones, Blasphemous Act, Chandra's Ignition, and Mayael's Aria. I also strongly recommend Pariah and cast it on Jared so that no one can easily take Monarch from you as long as Jared is alive.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Dizz posted:

Also i heard that boros was like one of the weakest types and i was kinda interested in looking at their commanders but now im under the belief that it's the weakest because their commanders are just extremely boring.

most of them are just "human dude" or "human dude in armor".

Akroma partnered with Rogahk is a popular boros commander and a good step away from boring. Ardenn is pretty great with Rogahk too.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

From today's Kamigawa story. Wonder if this one will be any good in Commander.

AQE
Nov 5, 2011

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

I don't have experience with him, but when I was looking at making a gimmicky banding deck I considered him for the Commander spot, so you have that option.

(yes, I think you should play banding against a new player, why do you ask?)

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Lmao, I hadn't seen this spoiler/leak yet:

http://mythicspoiler.com/neo/cards/tatsunaritoadrider.html

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
do people ever leak fake cards and such? would be funny to gently caress people over with interesting or cool cards that won't exist.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Dizz posted:

do people ever leak fake cards and such? would be funny to gently caress people over with interesting or cool cards that won't exist.

Every set and it's always dumb.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Might be fun to make an enchantress deck with black instead of white

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Might be fun to make an enchantress deck with black instead of white

black does have a fair amount of enchantment-creatures, notably Doomwake Giant

though unlike Doomwake Giant i don't think most of them directly support the enchantress strat beyond their typeline

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

black does have a fair amount of enchantment-creatures, notably Doomwake Giant

though unlike Doomwake Giant i don't think most of them directly support the enchantress strat beyond their typeline

BUG Enchantress just to play Oubliette.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Unconfirmed leak, but you know...

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

When did the legendary rule stop being a thing? At last night's game I tried to kill someone's commander by Cloning it and apparently it doesn't work that way anymore?

Leave the format for ten years and everything changes. :psyduck:

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

I brought my Drake posted:

When did the legendary rule stop being a thing? At last night's game I tried to kill someone's commander by Cloning it and apparently it doesn't work that way anymore?

2014, almost specifically for the exact situation you tried.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Almost a decade ago. It changed with the release of M14..

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
it was surprising to me as well since it happened after i had previously quit too, also the elimination of mana burn and the addition of an entirely new card type (planeswalkers) lol

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

it was surprising to me as well since it happened after i had previously quit too, also the elimination of mana burn and the addition of an entirely new card type (planeswalkers) lol

"What do you mean damage doesn't go on the stack anymore?"

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
simply just run this

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Combat damage didn't use the stack before it did, and then didn't again.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Who needs the stack when you've got The Batch? *sacrifices a permanent on the way to the graveyard*

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I had a similar situation when I got back in a few months ago. I was surprised to find out that you can't tuck people's commanders into their libraries anymore.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

I had a similar situation when I got back in a few months ago. I was surprised to find out that you can't tuck people's commanders into their libraries anymore.

Another thing Sheldon said was "unfun". Maybe he got hit with a Spin into Myth + Tunnel Vision or something and got salty.

Kadath
Aug 17, 2004

Put Your 'Lectric Eye On Me, Babe
Grimey Drawer
Clone was always in my decks because it could hit commanders with shroud or hexproof, since its ancient wording didn’t include “target” for its effect and they never changed that.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Batterypowered7 posted:

Another thing Sheldon said was "unfun". Maybe he got hit with a Spin into Myth + Tunnel Vision or something and got salty.

Removing the tuck rule was in fact "cool and good" and generally well received.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Also making commanders always hit the graveyard for death triggers was an A+ decision

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Silhouette posted:

Also making commanders always hit the graveyard for death triggers was an A+ decision

I had a back and forth with someone in my group about whether or not this was the case. It just made sense to me that a commander dies, hits the graveyard, and is then redirected. It turned out not to be the case. (Then they changed the rule like 2 weeks later so I was right. :hai: )

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

it goes back to the commander zone but still hits on death triggers from what i heard. it's a weird rule with people trying to steal commanders when they hit the GY.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Dizz posted:

it goes back to the commander zone but still hits on death triggers from what i heard. it's a weird rule with people trying to steal commanders when they hit the GY.

Commanders still hit the graveyard or exile and a state-based effect gives the owner the option to move it to the command zone after that. That's the rules change.

Originally, the effect was defined as a replacement effect that prevented the card from ever hitting the zone. This actually changed how cards like Grasp of Fate interacted with commanders. Originally, if you moved the card to the command zone as a replacement, and Grasp was later removed, you'd get your commander back to the field for free. That is no longer the case since the Grasp effect doesn't follow the card from the exile zone to the command zone.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

AlternateNu posted:

Commanders still hit the graveyard or exile and a state-based effect gives the owner the option to move it to the command zone after that. That's the rules change.

Originally, the effect was defined as a replacement effect that prevented the card from ever hitting the zone. This actually changed how cards like Grasp of Fate interacted with commanders. Originally, if you moved the card to the command zone as a replacement, and Grasp was later removed, you'd get your commander back to the field for free. That is no longer the case since the Grasp effect doesn't follow the card from the exile zone to the command zone.

You have the option to leave the commander in exile "under" the Grasp so that it will come back. But you cannot then cast it from the command zone. It's in one zone or the other.

Edit: incidentally this is why I think Suspend is such underrated removal in Commander. If they choose to leave their commander exiled in suspense, they'll get it back for free, but you get a guaranteed two turns where it is out of commission. If they redirect, they have to pay the tax. Sometimes you just need it to be out of the way for a second. Not bad for one Mana.

Heath fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jan 26, 2022

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Heath posted:

You have the option to leave the commander in exile "under" the Grasp so that it will come back. But you cannot then cast it from the command zone. It's in one zone or the other.

Edit: incidentally this is why I think Suspend is such underrated removal in Commander. If they choose to leave their commander exiled in suspense, they'll get it back for free, but you get a guaranteed two turns where it is out of commission. If they redirect, they have to pay the tax. Sometimes you just need it to be out of the way for a second. Not bad for one Mana.

You can suspend your own dockside as well which can be nice. Or other strong etbs but mostly dockside

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

The absolute worst part of this rules change is that it hosed Norin the Wary.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

Considering breaking up my Prosper deck. I wanted to focus a lot on just generating treasure tokens but my goal after that was nonexistant. a fat majority of the deck is proxies so it doesn't bother me much but it's still upsetting that my idea didn't come to fruition.

just glad i didn't loving buy dockside, ragavan, etc.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

The Shortest Path posted:

The absolute worst part of this rules change is that it hosed Norin the Wary.

How so?

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Dizz posted:

Considering breaking up my Prosper deck. I wanted to focus a lot on just generating treasure tokens but my goal after that was nonexistant. a fat majority of the deck is proxies so it doesn't bother me much but it's still upsetting that my idea didn't come to fruition.

just glad i didn't loving buy dockside, ragavan, etc.

Just get a Dark Depths, Marionette Master, and a bunch of other dumb ,mana, expensive devastating poo poo to swing around with all that money Uncle Scrooge. Even a Ghirapur Aethergrid is going to have a hilariously nasty effect.

https://archidekt.com/decks/1699947#Prosper_Work_in_Progress

That's my upgraded Prosper in it's current form. Unsure if I want to stick a big dumb expensive Eldrazi in there, but it's fun to pilot around and just acrue a gently caress ton of treasures per turn when one or two pieces are out on the board.

What's neat is there are so many different pieces that will just net you treasure for doing things I don't really need to worry about not having one or two certain pieces, outside of Prosper, to just start generating money.

Jiro fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jan 26, 2022

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I've also got a dedicated treasure deck and it sure does churn out treasures.

It doesn't really do anything after that, though :v:

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Heath posted:

How so?

You used to be able to move him into the command zone with his ability and have it still return him to the battlefield. This made it so that if anyone played a Stifle effect or something like that on his return trigger, he'd still be able to be recast from the command zone.

Now you have to keep him in exile, so if his return trigger gets disrupted by anything he's permanently gone for the rest of the game.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

The Shortest Path posted:

You used to be able to move him into the command zone with his ability and have it still return him to the battlefield. This made it so that if anyone played a Stifle effect or something like that on his return trigger, he'd still be able to be recast from the command zone.

Now you have to keep him in exile, so if his return trigger gets disrupted by anything he's permanently gone for the rest of the game.

His exile and return trigger are all one trigger. You either interrupt the whole thing or you don't. If you cast Stifle on him while he's still on the battlefield he triggers again and that goes on top of the stack so it will fizzle. If you stifle the exile ability, he will never leave in the first place.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Heath posted:

His exile and return trigger are all one trigger. You either interrupt the whole thing or you don't. If you cast Stifle on him while he's still on the battlefield he triggers again and that goes on top of the stack so it will fizzle. If you stifle the exile ability, he will never leave in the first place.

That's not correct. His ability creates a delayed trigger that occurs at the end step, which goes on the stack and can be interacted with. 603.7 in the comprehensive rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Aranan posted:

I've also got a dedicated treasure deck and it sure does churn out treasures.

It doesn't really do anything after that, though :v:

Win conditions: who needs ‘em??