Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

Lark's kids' names.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

lmao beth's new character

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Holy gently caress, they come out the gate strong with Season 2. I love all of their characters but especially Freddie's, especially with his little twist on the stereotype he and Anthony have decided on.

GO TEENS!

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

anthony's really leaning into the horror vibes, i hope he keeps it up

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

eke out posted:

anthony's really leaning into the horror vibes, i hope he keeps it up

'witnesses outside the car see, in order, the same man twice and a boy that looks wrong'

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!
Yeah, strong start. TAZ Season 3 took a while but I'm now into it, and I'm still seeing Crit Role S3 as a mountain to climb, but I love how important the Daddies think a season opener is.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Will needs to shut up a bit more, I get he's playing a nervous character but when presented with "this is your destiny, to save your parents using Cool poo poo and it is only possible for you to do it" having your character IMMEDIATELY talk over everybody, extensively, to say "we need to call sheriff johnson!" sucks a lot.

Hopefully it's just an episode 1 thing, or he lets up a bit on the flight risk that is his character. I remember similarly disliking Darrel in ep 1 of season 1, but he carved out a solid character with some time.

Scary Terry rules, Taylor rules, Normal rules

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I mean, the entire joke was Will's character sucks to the point where their NPC guide said 'shut up, you're my least favorite one' and all, so I think the bit is he's gonna be less of a dink.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I completely messed up and said Will and not Matt, whoops

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I also meant Matt :argh:

what even are names, maaaaaaaaaan

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

i can't believe dungeons and daddies fought the real life boss baby

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

QuoProQuid posted:

i can't believe dungeons and daddies got their asses kicked by the real life boss baby

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

sexpig by night posted:

I mean, the entire joke was Matt's character sucks to the point where their NPC guide said 'shut up, you're my least favorite one' and all, so I think the bit is he's gonna be less of a dink.

Yeah i'm not worried about it, Matt knows what he's doing, he'll have an arc. Or he won't, and that'll be fun too, but I'm guessing he will

I feel very good about season 2 based on that first episode, it should be a lot of fun. Fuckin freddie's character, geez. I also like that they made Grant the opposite kind of annoying dad from what Daryl was, he's basically Henry now

Curious to see how the mechanics adjust throughout the campaign. The whole "you can't miss" thing is interesting, I agree that's kind of a dumb part of D&D combat, looking forward to seeing if this is the solution to that

Ainsley McTree fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Jan 26, 2022

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
loving elevators, man.

ghouldaddy07
Jun 23, 2008

Pyroi posted:

loving elevators, man.

Bouncy closets

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Pyroi posted:

loving elevators, man.

This was a masterclass example of Freddie piling on a joke and then exploiting the hell out of it in an interesting way. I'm so excited to see what horseshit they can pull. I think there's been at least two or three moments of either Anthony or one of the teens, in this episode alone, where somebody made a joke that ended with "Nope! That's Canon now!" and I love it so much.

The loving mascot :allears:

ghouldaddy07
Jun 23, 2008
Freddie and Anthonys dynamic absolute killed in this episode. How I wish this was a weekly podcast.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

The elevator goof was fun, but I hope they don't make it a recurring thing, because it's kind of lifted straight from TAZ season 1 (which even had a "floor twenty" joke as well).

Not accusing anyone of anything of course, it was a fun bit of in-the-moment improv, but hopefully it was a just a one time thing

e: thinking about it further, i cannot imagine that the mcelroys were the first to notice that "floor twenty" is a funny phrase, it's basically a public domain joke

Ainsley McTree fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jan 26, 2022

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.

Ainsley McTree posted:

The elevator goof was fun, but I hope they don't make it a recurring thing, because it's kind of lifted straight from TAZ season 1 (which even had a "floor twenty" joke as well).

I mean, the basic premise might be kind of similar (though I very much doubt consciously) but the execution was entirely different.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

as with early Darryl, I get that Matt's character is intentionally a drag, but that doesn't make him much less of a drag. Would've thought he'd get bored of playing a character who hero worships their dad, too. Love everyone else's stuff though.

Cannot wait to see the full form of the unplayable fantasy heartbreaker Anthony has presumably turned 5E into. "No attack rolls" was a hell of a sneak preview.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Valentin posted:

as with early Darryl, I get that Matt's character is intentionally a drag, but that doesn't make him much less of a drag. Would've thought he'd get bored of playing a character who hero worships their dad, too. Love everyone else's stuff though.

Cannot wait to see the full form of the unplayable fantasy heartbreaker Anthony has presumably turned 5E into. "No attack rolls" was a hell of a sneak preview.

That and an entire compound of a gacha machine. With a character that's already an early hook, gone to gently caress off.

I also didn't make it to the end of the episode until today and holy gently caress, the two big horror monsters he has introduced so far are The Library-level monstrosities. It's like he took all the times they said "oh GOD" and said "that's season 2, baybeeeee"

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

thecluckmeme posted:

That and an entire compound of a gacha machine. With a character that's already an early hook, gone to gently caress off.

I also didn't make it to the end of the episode until today and holy gently caress, the two big horror monsters he has introduced so far are The Library-level monstrosities. It's like he took all the times they said "oh GOD" and said "that's season 2, baybeeeee"

Yeah, I feel like he's really leaning into how fun the chaos of the Deck of Many Things was for season 1 too. Only one episode in and we've discovered some very chaotic items, I'm interested to see how all that shakes out over the season.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Ainsley McTree posted:

Yeah, I feel like he's really leaning into how fun the chaos of the Deck of Many Things was for season 1 too. Only one episode in and we've discovered some very chaotic items, I'm interested to see how all that shakes out over the season.

I think the Chaos is the reason. Attacks can't miss, because that's the most boring part of a round of D&D, and also that's the theme of this campaign. There's going to be four people with figurative loaded guns over time, with creatures that could exist depending on a dice roll. This is the breeding ground of SCAM LIKELY!!

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Ainsley McTree posted:

All jokes are public domain. Jokes cannot be "stolen" or whatever they exist to be eternally retold.

Episode loving ruled.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I also really liked how they introduced all the characters in the first episode; Anthony tweeted something (and I think they talked about it in a talking dad towards the end of s1 too) about how much he liked the first ep of rude tales of magic because it just dove straight in and introduced us to the characters by having them interact with the world instead of doing the traditional thing of "hello i'm [name], a [race] [class], and my backstory is as follows; now that everyone's had a turn, we go to a tavern". The recurrence of the twelve soccer bullies fit that idea like a glove

Squack McQuack
Nov 20, 2013

by Modern Video Games
Matt always plays his characters to role-play, not to win the game or even to make the best story. The guy is pure method.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Squack McQuack posted:

Matt always plays his characters to role-play, not to win the game or even to make the best story. The guy is pure method.

the jeremy strong of D&D

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Ainsley McTree posted:

I also really liked how they introduced all the characters in the first episode; Anthony tweeted something (and I think they talked about it in a talking dad towards the end of s1 too) about how much he liked the first ep of rude tales of magic because it just dove straight in and introduced us to the characters by having them interact with the world instead of doing the traditional thing of "hello i'm [name], a [race] [class], and my backstory is as follows; now that everyone's had a turn, we go to a tavern". The recurrence of the twelve soccer bullies fit that idea like a glove

WELL WELL WELL

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Matt's ability to slip into Darryl for some in-character reactions was impressive. Same for Fetch Quest with moments like him eating the dog treats.

The intros were good, too. It's a good idea to give us descriptions in the pregame, then have character moments to start the campaign. I generally have no problem keeping any of their characters straight by the end of the first episodes. On the other hand, I'm like 5 episodes into Crit Role S3 and can't remember Laura or Marisha's characters' names or even form a picture of them in my mind.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

"don't worry dad, there's no bullies here, it's a nice school."

*1 minute later*

"roll to see how many bullies confront you"

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Pennsylvanian posted:

Matt's ability to slip into Darryl for some in-character reactions was impressive. Same for Fetch Quest with moments like him eating the dog treats.

I was thinking his new character was maybe 2/3 his dog character, 1/3 Darryl

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

goblin week posted:

All jokes are public domain. Jokes cannot be "stolen" or whatever they exist to be eternally retold.

Whatever you say, Mr. Mencia

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Enh, it really just came from their own dynamic of ripping one flubbed line like Darryl calling Henry's son "Glark".

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Pennsylvanian posted:

Enh, it really just came from their own dynamic of ripping one flubbed line like Darryl calling Henry's son "Glark".

Yeah I regret bringing it up now lol, let’s all agree to not ruin the thread by making it a thing. Sorry

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Nah I knew you weren't making a thing of it. Even the subreddit had a discussion about it for a hot second.

Been relistening to the second half of the podcast and forgot Anthony's Huck Finn reversal in one of the prison episodes. I think that may be my favorite one liner in the show so far.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I get the feeling they are not going to be getting paid for any more targeted Canadian ad reads

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

I love that Beth and Anthony are willing to make fun of toxic self care behavior. On other casts I used to listen to, every character would be talking like Adult Grant and it was exhausting when it was going on in those.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

This week's talking dad teen talk was interesting for a peek behind the screen; that first episode rocked, but it sounds like the work it took to get it there was pretty grueling. But it sounds like a big part of that was zeroing in on what they wanted the characters to be and what the state of the world/old NPCs was going to be; now that they've got that nailed down, hopefully they can actually have fun recording future episodes.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I could feel the continuity from the film-based Lovecraftian body horror in Mountains of Dadness to the poo poo they had going on with the Speed Runner, which was cool.

Scary Terry comparing herself to Anne Frank was hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Flipped on episode 1 and hit play at work just to have something familiar I didn't need to focus too much on.

When I put into the OP, "If you're not sure, try listening up until they meet the Lord of Chaos", I was thinking that that happened near like episode 10, which is roughly the episode count where a lot of actual plays start to pick up steam. No, that happens in like episode 3. It's wild how tight this podcast is.