Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Maybe you could prevent employees from leaving by paying them more, but then a lawyer wouldn't make any money from you suing the employees, which is obviously the bigger tragedy here. :thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Encourage employees to lie about their Covid safety status and then get annoyed when they're honest instead.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Just like, go to the old job but be super clumsy, especially around managers. When they call you into their office to ask what is going on, trip and fall onto their desk and knock all their poo poo over. Never have your own pens and ask others to borrow theirs when you need one and just keep dropping it on the ground. Eat taco bell for lunch every day and cropdust managers. Just be a useless nuisance until they fire you and let you either go to your new job or go on unemployment until the legal crap is sorted out.

Alternatively, put on a fake mustache and apply for your old job with a fake name. After they hire the fake you, the real you is now legally cleared to work at the new job.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Outrail posted:

Lmao, they actually tried to negotiate back in December. The hospital told them to gently caress off, didn't do anything to retain or try to recruit replacements instead opting to force citizen employees to work. Feels like this is the bit where employers wander up to the 'actual slavery' line and give it a nudge.

I hope ThedaCare and the judge get reamed through the courts, but this is hellworld so who knows.

First thing I'd have brought up was the money aspect - they don't want to negotiate more money for people, yet somehow want those same people to train replacements (that they're obviously not looking for). If they can't even pay their current staff decent $, where are they gonna find more to pay the additional trainees?

Also nthing the idea of "show up, hide out, do gently caress all" & watch the collapse in real-time, because gently caress Thedacare.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

MegaCorp has generous leave policy, no complaints there. But they outsourced being paid while on leave to a clunky 3rd party company with a nearly unusable app. Fools may believe they have all their medical paperwork submitted because the app says “100% of documents received, you’re all set!” then get a fun threatening email about an overdue form noting that failing to submit that promptly could lead to termination.

Getting paid by the company is so delayed that before employees go on leave they’re advised to have significant savings as you may not get paid anything until you’ve been back for a few weeks.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

You do understand that everything is working exactly as intended, right?

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
slimy motherfucker. "the cab was safe" as if the 40 foot loving trailer with no brakes wouldn't have been an issue. loving ghoul.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

InsertPotPun posted:

slimy motherfucker. "the cab was safe" as if the 40 foot loving trailer with no brakes wouldn't have been an issue. loving ghoul.

I'm guessing you could take that ruling (the employee's only options were sitting in the cab and die, or do something impossible), and get OHS on their rear end, as they very specifically demanded the employee put himself in danger.

It probably wouldn't be worth it tho.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

show's over, judge got sane:

https://www.postcrescent.com/story/news/2022/01/24/thedacare-ascension-court-over-health-care-worker-employment/6635683001/

I still don't really understand what actual law Thedacare was attempting to base this filing on in the first place. Poaching law? Something in medical law? I have no idea.

Turns out ThedaCare could, is and will be putting together an alternative to losing the team. I hope they lose more employees

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Outrail posted:

Turns out ThedaCare could, is and will be putting together an alternative to losing the team. I hope they lose more employees

Ironically, by calling this much attention to how much better a competitor is willing to treat their employees, they’ve made it far more likely.

I think a lot of employers are being refamiliarized with the part of the grift about making it appear the grass isn’t greener.

Smik
Mar 18, 2014

Blue Moonlight posted:

Ironically, by calling this much attention to how much better a competitor is willing to treat their employees, they’ve made it far more likely.

I think a lot of employers are being refamiliarized with the part of the grift about making it appear the grass isn’t greener.

A lawyer (copyright but still) goes into the details: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deWa_Tligo8

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
ThedaCare? More like They Don't Care! :xd:

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
So.

TotalLossBrain posted:

loving same.

2% annual raise, get hosed folks. Been getting lots of interview requests and two of them are looking real good right now.
I warned my manager when this bullshit came through.

Accepted a job offer that's effectively a 2-level promotion with 54% more pay. Told my supervisor about it and he seemed super surprised at this, even though I had made myself clear when this lovely raise came through that I'd be looking for other opportunities elsewhere.
In a way I hate to leave this job because it's super chill, I love what I do, and I loved everyone I worked with.
But this is a big step up and I am moving away from this poo poo hole to the Pdx area, a move I've been looking to make for a long time.

Yeah yeah I know Portland has its own set of problems

The downside is that I have to do loads of work to get this house ready to sell and I need to get another in Portland. Great time to sell I guess, but not great to buy. The last time I moved was 12 years ago and I'm not looking forward to that logistics nightmare.

TotalLossBrain fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jan 26, 2022

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

TotalLossBrain posted:

So.

Accepted a job offer that's effectively a 2-level promotion with 54% more pay. Told my supervisor about it and he seemed super surprised at this, even though I had made myself clear when this lovely raise came through that I'd be looking for other opportunities elsewhere.
In a way I hate to leave this job because it's super chill, I love what I do, and I loved everyone I worked with.
But this is a big step up and I am moving away from this poo poo hole to the Pdx area, a move I've been looking to make for a long time.

The downside is that I have to do loads of work to get this house ready to sell and I need to get another in Portland. Great time to sell I guess, but not great to buy. The last time I moved was 12 years ago and I'm not looking forward to that logistics nightmare.

Congrats! :toot:

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

TotalLossBrain posted:

So.

Congratulations! :toot:

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Not a personal story, but a poem from the product description of this dress:

quote:

When I open my eyes every morning, I think about 500 reasons to ask for leave.
Green symbolizes freedom, peace, freshness and comfort; it can play an important role in the coordination of interpersonal relationships, but it seems to be useless in excel...
I still don’t want to go to work, do not want to have meetings, do not want to see 78 colleagues, do not want to face the locomotive boss...

I think the model just about sums it up:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Smik posted:

A lawyer (copyright but still) goes into the details: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deWa_Tligo8

Was hesitant about starting an hour long legalese video, but gat drat :stare: You can always tell when a lawyer is well and truly pissed off because they drop a lot of the formal verbiage and just start lighting fuckers on fire :kingsley:

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Karia posted:

Not a personal story, but a poem from the product description of this dress:

I think the model just about sums it up:

Is... is that an Excel dress?!

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

Agents are GO! posted:

Is... is that an Excel dress?!

Why, would you like to pivot my tables? :wink:

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

I'll help you with a vlookup!

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Takes No Damage posted:

Was hesitant about starting an hour long legalese video, but gat drat :stare: You can always tell when a lawyer is well and truly pissed off because they drop a lot of the formal verbiage and just start lighting fuckers on fire :kingsley:

Leonard is OK but his videos are so long because a lot of it is him just reading the paperwork aloud. Good for background noise, but I'm more interested in analysis, not an audio book of a motion.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

TotalLossBrain posted:

So.

Grats! :yotj:

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Steakandchips posted:

I'll help you with a vlookup!

Vlookup is for #metoo pervs, true alphas use xlookup.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Scientastic posted:

Vlookup is for #metoo pervs, true alphas use xlookup.

Literally used xlookup properly yesterday. Way better than vlookup. Now I don't have to count the column I need output! I can just select it! MAGIC! The ifnull clause is excellent too, I can just add "Not Found" as an ifnull value in the formula itself!

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Sad to say, but xlookup literally changed my life, I love it.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Scientastic posted:

Sad to say, but xlookup literally changed my life, I love it.

It's so good.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

I use VLOOKUP and have never heard of XLOOKUP. Time to google.

EDIT: I'm not on 365. Sucks to be me. It doesn't exist in my copy of excel.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Steakandchips posted:

Literally used xlookup properly yesterday. Way better than vlookup. Now I don't have to count the column I need output! I can just select it! MAGIC! The ifnull clause is excellent too, I can just add "Not Found" as an ifnull value in the formula itself!

Iferror also works
iferror((Vlookup shithere),"notFound")

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

tater_salad posted:

Iferror also works
iferror((Vlookup shithere),"notFound")

Indeed, but who is going to bother with that extra functioning and bracketing when it's all right there for the easy taking in xlookup...

BitBasher posted:

I use VLOOKUP and have never heard of XLOOKUP. Time to google.

EDIT: I'm not on 365. Sucks to be me. It doesn't exist in my copy of excel.

ah, right, this guy might^^^

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

I’ll average your ifs
:quagmire:

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I’ll average your ifs
:quagmire:

Baby let's XHOOKUP

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Links in this workbook are enabled <3

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

Baby let's XHOOKUP

You and me baby ain't nothin' but Pivot Tables
So let's automatically sort data in one place and present the information you're analyzing in another
:wink:

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I'm a Power Pivot.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

You know, LibreOffice is almost as good as HEY WAIT COME BACK, WHAT DID I SAY

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

~Coxy posted:

I'm a Power Pivot.

Is the Pivot generating all the power?

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Powered Descent posted:

You know, LibreOffice is almost as good as HEY WAIT COME BACK, WHAT DID I SAY

lol!

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Excel horny in the work thread. I like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

This week I learned that our payroll software doesn't have any way to mark certain pay codes as unemployment exempt. The head accountant's workaround is to temporarily mark certain pay codes as nontax because it's the only way to print the annual reports he needs, and then fix it.

When I ran payroll and imported timesheets, there were a ton of errors. I added those employees hours manually, because I didn't want to waste time troubleshooting this horseshit software when it was just as likely to be my hacky Excel sheet being fucky. The accountant saw that a bunch of people had nontax hours and realized he had not fixed the pay codes. So he fixed the pay codes. Making their hours disappear from being paid out, but not from the system. So I had to go in and manually add their hours again, and then delete the incorrect version of their hours that I had manually added earlier, which looked completely indistinct from the new hours I just added. It doesn't actually tell you in the entry interface whether hours are taxable or not, that is a fun surprise you wait to learn until you have printed a summary report.

Also every time I made an edit there was a random chance the first employee would be deleted. That particular issue is ongoing.

I would love that Excel dress but alas, I am fat as hell and I can tell that ain't happening.