Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Are you proud of what I do?

I'll try to be a better man than the one that you knew.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wf6MCco74GY

this entire album is loving nuts, it's loving great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBPG1w2-LCM

"i'm from out a time capsule, some kind of portal,
spittin these rhymes at you like i'm immortal"

:350:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
coma guy is right insofar as the models aren't right, which we can observe by how each time they become more accurate it turns out were hosed harder and faster than previously thought possible lmao

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I'm sorry but what exactly is this?

And what has it got to do with anything

a person, or at least, not profit

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook
No such thing as climate. Idiots.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

I always figured weather models would simply be increasingly incorrect and they'd have to drop the amount of time forecasts project, but this phenomenon of the models seemingly going insane to the headscratching of forecasters and then being increasingly correct during seeming malfunction is far more entertaining.

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Are you proud of what I do?

I'll try to be a better man than the one that you knew.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-o2BAfAb2yY

this is legendary country singer george jones (with legendary session musician pig robins on the keys) singing the theme song to a loving cartoon on adult swim

:patriot: you know, this whole ship might be going down but this song was worth it all, damnit

"i'm fixin to stop loving you today" is a reference to george jones' big comeback hit when he was blitzed out of his skull and sanity on coke and booze and having arguments with the voices in his head that were a cartoon duck and an "old man"

there was at least one instance of george jones playing a show and him not being able to prevent the cartoon duck voice in his head from taking over and singing the rest of the set or some absolutely mindbogglingly crazy poo poo like that

i highly recommend the podcast cocaine and rhinestones if you think you don't like country music

country music is actually punk rock, but they couldn't call it that because then they wouldn't have sold millions and millions of loving records (plastic discs that are now in the biosphere)

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

not much whats axolotl with u

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators
There was music chat? I will recommend Neptunian Maximalism ‎– Éons. It is a concept album about humanity's extinction at the end of the anthropocene.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Complications posted:

I always figured weather models would simply be increasingly incorrect and they'd have to drop the amount of time forecasts project, but this phenomenon of the models seemingly going insane to the headscratching of forecasters and then being increasingly correct during seeming malfunction is far more entertaining.

the pnw heat dome forecasts were great. "lol, hey the model keeps spitting out these insane numbers that are totally unrealistic. stupid models should clear up in a few days' followed by "oh gently caress, canada is hotter than death valley"

Kicked Throat
Apr 12, 2005

Shima Honnou posted:

coma guy is right insofar as the models aren't right, which we can observe by how each time they become more accurate it turns out were hosed harder and faster than previously thought possible lmao

hehe i thought the exact same thing

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

blatman posted:

not much whats axolotl with u

You axolotl questions.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

That's one of the dumbest things that I have ever heard

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
I'm with Jordan Peterson on this one.

If you walk down into the 9th or 10th definition of "Climate" it can be synonymous with "Environment" and defined as the reality we all live in which would include everything that exists.

Therefore your climate models are objectively ignoring variables. The weight of humans pressing down on tectonic plates? The solar wind pressure on our magnetosphere? The pressure of interstellar space on the heliosphere? The approaching Andromeda Galaxy?

If you aren't accounting for the light from Sirius B reaching earth in your climate models how can I trust you? You are just leaving information out and I'm supposed to trust that your science is accounting for the correct information? What are you hiding?

I am a big brain smart man who is able to destroy you with logic, now that you are destroyed give me money. Nothing can be predicted as it's impossible to account for everything in relation to everything therefore checkmate.

Nobody tell him that inaccuracy and inability to perfectly predict the "climate" and all variables in it is the reason we are so hosed. There aren't miracle animals out there that poo poo atmospheric cooling aerosols we are overlooking. We just don't understand how bad the feedback loops are and things are worse than we thought.

Rectal Death Adept has issued a correction as of 13:34 on Jan 26, 2022

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
The implications of that argument for the economy and judicial system are really funny.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Some very #deep thoughts from Mr. Psychologist.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
you heard it here first it's impossible to model anything unless you create a perfect simulation all the way down to the spinning of gravitons. Failing that you need to completely bake up your own theories about food allergies and what would be a world record for insomnia

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Explains the benzo addiction. That interview is four loving hours long, what the gently caress!

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Pretty fun to see that even the first global climate model from the 80s, calculated on a supercomputer with a processing power at Iphone 4 level, was able to predict today's climate pretty accurately.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

every time I hear that guy I think of the apple ceo from don’t look up.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Fame Douglas posted:

Pretty fun to see that even the first global climate model from the 80s, calculated on a supercomputer with a processing power at Iphone 4 level, was able to predict today's climate pretty accurately.

Taking this as sufficient cause to repost this beaut:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCxPOqwCr1I

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

what?

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
I can't find a transcript for it but NPR just had a senator from North Dakota on Morning Edition who is "ready to tackle" climate change. I guess you can listen if you want to get pissed off
https://www.npr.org/2022/01/26/1075717107/gop-senator-from-north-dakota-wants-to-tackle-climate-change

Some highlights

- Climate change is natural, earth has been changing as long as it has existed therefore ?????????

- Man is the only thing, other than god, that can have an impact on the climate
- There is no need to "destroy ourselves" in pursuit of a solution (he elaborated this meant that we don't have to stop using fossil fuels because we would lose money)
- American taxpayers have paid too much for Solar/Wind energy with little benefit
- Coal is the way to provide power 24/7 while people discuss possibly reducing emissions
- If people wanted electric vehicles then companies would build the infrastructure, there doesn't need to be federal funding. FREE MARKET.

By the metrics of most climate change activists this is at least 0.00000000000000000000000000000000001% of a positive action since he is at discussing climate change existing as a concept even if he misunderstands it and is a huge dumb rear end in a top hat about it. Therefore he must be applauded for contributing positively to the cause of fixing climate change. Hooray! Problem on the way to being Solved!

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

"Western North Dakota contains an estimated 351 billion tons of lignite, the single largest deposit of lignite known in the world. North Dakota also contains an estimated 25 billion tons of economically mineable coal, enough to last for over 800 years at the present rate of 32 million tons per year. "

https://www.dmr.nd.gov/ndgs/mineral/nd_coalnew.asp

oh, word?

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

while i figure out what to do about my gambling addiction, i'm gonna check out these hot slots

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

"Western North Dakota contains an estimated 351 billion tons of lignite, the single largest deposit of lignite known in the world. North Dakota also contains an estimated 25 billion tons of economically mineable coal, enough to last for over 800 years at the present rate of 32 million tons per year. "

https://www.dmr.nd.gov/ndgs/mineral/nd_coalnew.asp

oh, word?

but wheres the ligma stored

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014

SplitSoul posted:

You axolotl questions.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
I've been reading Calvin and Hobbes to my 5 year old and it's struck me, that, despite being a little too concerned with NUCLEAR waste, no doubt a product of his time, Calvin is pretty much OG Blackpilled on climate poo poo.

We're only 2/3 of the way through volume 1 of 3 and these are just some of the gems I've found. This first one basically feels like "the way most of us biodoom posters feel about our loving parents' generation".

(1987)

(also 1987)

:rubby:

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

quote:

In May 2021, Energy Secretary Jennifer Granholm said that Yucca Mountain would not be part of the Biden administration's plans for nuclear-waste disposal. She anticipated announcing the department's next steps "in the coming months"

We tried, dry cask storage it will be.

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
https://twitter.com/peterdaou/status/1486369268098809856

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Cabbages and Kings posted:

I've been reading Calvin and Hobbes to my 5 year old and it's struck me, that, despite being a little too concerned with NUCLEAR waste, no doubt a product of his time, Calvin is pretty much OG Blackpilled on climate poo poo.

We're only 2/3 of the way through volume 1 of 3 and these are just some of the gems I've found. This first one basically feels like "the way most of us biodoom posters feel about our loving parents' generation".

(1987)

(also 1987)

:rubby:

Hobbes is like dont worry lil buddy you'll get your parents house some day. Feels bad taking a shot at the tiger I loved that cartoon growing up

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Hobbes is like dont worry lil buddy you'll get your parents house some day. Feels bad taking a shot at the tiger I loved that cartoon growing up

i still love it.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Having the mom go "and yet you continue to live in society huh? gotcha!" is excellent and fitting :discourse:

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

https://twitter.com/ChuckCjmmn/status/1486369704478494723?t=WWSCql6ouyIfU-5ncr-5Tw&s=19

:thermidor:

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

On Facebook
Mods please change me to "Cuck Chismmn"

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

On Facebook
Eat my shorts climate losers

https://twitter.com/weekoldsushi/status/1485456891979390981?t=_D9WXut_0brHxcfgCx3MEw&s=19

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.

The tragedy of the commons is that there IS no tragedy, because it isn't common. Think about it.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
If people knew that smoking caused cancer don't you think they'd stop smoking??? Thus,

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

This is honestly the biggest blocker for many people to admit reality about climate change, because climate policy is proof that yes, the people in charge aren’t willing to lead, yes they’ll stand by and do nothing as the world crumbles, and yes that makes them immorally human beings.

So many people have worldviews that one way or another rely on the idea that those at the top are both in charge and competent. Be they blue maga types, techno fetishists, conservative just worlders, or classic classists. The idea that those at the top might just let the whole world explode also explodes their perception of the world.

So nope, Biden is saving the climate because the alternative is unthinkable!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Trabisnikof posted:

This is honestly the biggest blocker for many people to admit reality about climate change, because climate policy is proof that yes, the people in charge aren’t willing to lead, yes they’ll stand by and do nothing as the world crumbles, and yes that makes them immorally human beings.

So many people have worldviews that one way or another rely on the idea that those at the top are both in charge and competent. Be they blue maga types, techno fetishists, conservative just worlders, or classic classists. The idea that those at the top might just let the whole world explode also explodes their perception of the world.

So nope, Biden is saving the climate because the alternative is unthinkable!

I've definitely been met with "we believe in technology making things better" when I confront my parents about the fact that capitalism has no will to make things better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Lol, nice bow tie dork