Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/thedailybeast/status/1485497639122743296

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

the most diseased society.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/PopCrave/status/1485756890197995522

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
lots of cake in that bakery window

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
every once in a while this thread turns into the some guy tt twitter feed and honestly it's not bad

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

smarxist posted:

lots of cake in that bakery window

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

kim and chelsea are pretty much opposite heights from what i had in my head

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
drat kim, letting her use you like this. She old news. I know b's got obama now, but drat.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Femur posted:

drat kim, letting her use you like this. She old news. I know b's got obama now, but drat.

hillary scheduled the meeting for her to convince pete to keep the tat

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

vvvvv the applause light came on and they tried to do their job

i say swears online has issued a correction as of 08:02 on Jan 26, 2022

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

do you think the audience has any idea what theyre talking about or are they just interpreting it as an overly elaborate bit

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

BUY MY APE!

PLEASE!

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

kudos to the Bored Yacht Club for shoveling millions at C list celebs and trade mags to humiliate themselves hocking worthless bullshit tho

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
crypto and nfts are stupid as poo poo but tbh that video was just jimmy fallon and paris hilton admiring two expensive pieces of art that they had bought. it's certainly tacky and tasteless but they don't mention (at least in that clip) any of the uniquely dumb poo poo about nfts

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

More and more powerful forces being employed to convince people to fall for a stick and box trap.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Aglet56 posted:

crypto and nfts are stupid as poo poo but tbh that video was just jimmy fallon and paris hilton admiring two expensive pieces of art that they had bought. it's certainly tacky and tasteless but they don't mention (at least in that clip) any of the uniquely dumb poo poo about nfts

loving duh. it's hype to get into the game and eventually to buy hilton and fallon's own masterpieces before they become hot potatoes

who knows if those things even cost them anything instead of just generated and given as payment for advertisement

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
https://twitter.com/johnsemley3000/status/1486083163751333889?s=20

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

oh yeah lmao

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

lool

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Some Guy TT posted:

i just learned that bilibili the chinese youtube has all the biggest recent movies such as last years top box office hit just sitting there in recommendations accruing millions of views and i cant decide if it would be funnier for disney to be getting told to gently caress off when asking they get taken down or for them to be so oblivious that they dont even know this is happening

went ot that webnsite and 1) its really hosed up and 2) i found this video which looks cool

https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV1sR4y1u73M

dunno what theyre saying tho so dont blame me if its bad words (slurs.. etc... )

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Aglet56 posted:

every once in a while this thread turns into the some guy tt twitter feed and honestly it's not bad

lol

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/NeilNevins/status/1468992392736882689?s=20

I didn't see this before. Fallon is such a piece of poo poo.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

it really bugs me how no way home presents jameson as this alex jonesesque whackjob but his actual comments are a mix of objectively true facts and subjectively defensible conclusions based on the information available to him its an incredibly flattering depiction yet i have no doubt the people who wrote it patted themselves on the back for doing their part to fight disinformation since were encouraged to understand that spiderman is obviously correct and not think about how insane and unnecessarily catastrophic this situation looks to an outside observer even under the most charitable possible interpretation

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

Some Guy TT posted:

it really bugs me how no way home presents jameson as this alex jonesesque whackjob but his actual comments are a mix of objectively true facts and subjectively defensible conclusions based on the information available to him its an incredibly flattering depiction yet i have no doubt the people who wrote it patted themselves on the back for doing their part to fight disinformation since were encouraged to understand that spiderman is obviously correct and not think about how insane and unnecessarily catastrophic this situation looks to an outside observer even under the most charitable possible interpretation

the conceit is that the meta-audience knows he’s complete bullshit, it’s directly comparable to Alex Jones and them going to court and arguing “nobody can reasonably take my insane ramblings as fact or news” and the meta-audience of judges agreeing that he’s peddling bullshit

also I truly cannot bring myself to care about this, at all. oh wow the edgelord is doing edgelord poo poo I’m shocked and appalled (the abuse and sexual assault is obviously awful but idk that this is related, plenty of people do that without having Nazi merch. I understand why ERW would want to torpedo his reputation but this seems like window dressing)

indigi has issued a correction as of 15:12 on Jan 26, 2022

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

lmao calling NFT's expensive pieces of art

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

more like expensive pieces of fart. gottem

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

indigi posted:

the conceit is that the meta-audience knows he’s complete bullshit, it’s directly comparable to Alex Jones and them going to court and arguing “nobody can reasonably take my insane ramblings as fact or news” and the meta-audience of judges agreeing that he’s peddling bullshit

also I truly cannot bring myself to care about this, at all. oh wow the edgelord is doing edgelord poo poo I’m shocked and appalled (the abuse and sexual assault is obviously awful but idk that this is related, plenty of people do that without having Nazi merch. I understand why ERW would want to torpedo his reputation but this seems like window dressing)

It's not really new either. Reznor gave the guy the boot years ago for being a shitlord. Fiona Apple refused to put up with his poo poo. Manson being Phil Spector in his personal life has been known for decades. He "wrote" a book bragging about it in the 90s even.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/TheAVClub/status/1486323317296353284?s=20

Sir... thank you.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
the fact that every liberal went apeshit on how bad masks were and "the air is nicer without a mask" back in May 2021 makes these guys sound stupid af. can't even be consistent about the stuff they're smug about

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
i would say NFT apes are "art", but only because they have the same function in modernity as "fine art", eg, drawings (or whatever) that are enormously valuable only because art collectors say they are enormously valuable which mostly exist as a tax shelter and investment asset which the unwashed masses do not have access to, rather than an aesthetic object. It is just another instrument of capitalist rule.

A print of Starry Night is different from the original Starry Night because we say it is. An NFT is different from a .jpg of the same image because we say it is. To the extent that "authenticity" matters, ie, Benjamin's concept of original art having an "aura" that is unique as being produced by an artisan in a specified time and space, which a reproduction of that art cannot have, NFTs imitate this by showing their unique providence through the blockchain.

without getting into the validity of "aura" and all that poo poo, the difference is twofold, IMO:

1. "Art" in the sense of "fine art", in theory, invites contemplation, like a religious exercise. You look, you say something like "this makes me feel X," or (in the case of a lot of dumb modern art), "does this qualify as 'art'?", which is still aesthetically valuable because it forces the viewer to contemplate what "art" itself might be as a conceptual category.

Ape NFTs exist as a product, first and foremost. They do not even begin to broach the question of what they could be in terms of aesthetics. They exist because they are like a banknote - this is a representation of value which is worth $X. Few people ask whether or not a treasury bond they own has any aesthetic value, and if they do, this is incidental to its function as currency. It does not even ask the beholder to consider if it is "good" or "bad", only whether or not it is valuable. It does not invite contemplation, it only asks for consumption. It is a shrine to Molloch.

2. In a purely materialist sense, art, in the form of a portrait, for example, is just canvass and paint. It is done when the artist says it is done. It ceases to consume.

The blockchain requires a huge amount of infrastructure to function and wastes tremendous amounts of energy and planetary resources. As long as it exists it will continue to eat and eat and eat while providing nothing but its own existence; it is a perfect capitalist piggy. The NFT parasitically lives off the worker in a similar way to the ruling class. It is a pretty little mirror for the most wretched and soulless humans alive to hold and reflect upon their own magnificence.

I have little-to-no education in art history so this is just navel-gazing. Anyway, I think the innate aversion that most people have to NFTs is probably because, unlike "art" with an "aura", there is no religious quality to NFTs. There is no hand of the master; I doubt most people even know or care who drew their ape. Art can exist outside of its "function"; this is why religious art can still be inspirational to an atheist. NFTs are inextricably bound to capitalism; outside of this system they have no existence. It is really just the naked skeleton of the shell-game that modern art now functions as, masquerading as a technological advancement because the stagnation of our society has so totally overwhelmed everyone that even pretending to aspire to anything better is unimaginable.

wendy's drive thru, blah blah

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

drat horror queefs posted:

A print of Starry Night is different from the original Starry Night because we say it is. An NFT is different from a .jpg of the same image because we say it is. To the extent that "authenticity" matters, ie, Benjamin's concept of original art having an "aura" that is unique as being produced by an artisan in a specified time and space, which a reproduction of that art cannot have, NFTs imitate this by showing their unique providence through the blockchain.

this is reminding me of how there are multiple originals of some pieces of fine art a concept that makes about as much logical sense as nfts do

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

the NFT apes look like racist 4chan memes

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

drat horror queefs posted:

wendy's drive thru, blah blah

hey if you're interested in this stuff, you should check out Brad Troemel's patreon. He does these Reports that talk about cultural trends and trends in the art world - he did a big NFT Report not too long ago that was a good watch. You're probably familiar with his art, he does a lot of satire of the modern liberal art style and his stuff has been posted on C-SPAM more than a few times as a result.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I'm happy for MM to eat poo poo however it happens.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/GameSpot/status/1485999162655232001

I hope its not in the title either the whole premise is a mystery where you try to guess which video game is being used as source material

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

I can’t believe an Antichrist Superstar would do this! lol why were you there lady ffs?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

good post

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Some Guy TT posted:

I hope its not in the title either the whole premise is a mystery where you try to guess which video game is being used as source material

This is an interesting concept for a (bad but gimmicky enough to be noteworthy) movie and hope its this but it won't be, it would require no trailers to be released at all

The concept would fall apart when the first ten seconds of the movie is the rock walking on set in a comically too-small luigi costume

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Some Guy TT posted:

I hope it ends up being Tetris.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Eric Cantonese posted:

I hope it ends up being Tetris.

The Rock is: The Block