Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I feel like season 6 is still good TV, it's just a bit of a lull between seasons 5 and 7 which were both much better, so a lot of people rate it harshly in comparison.
Many of the task segements on S6 are still fairly good, it's just the studio interaction that lets it down a bit. All five of the contestants end up being straight shooters and it lacks some of the 'agents of chaos' that make the best Taskmaster. That said, it's aged well just because S10 came along and took it's place at the bottom of the pile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The peak of Taskmaster UK dick joke outtakes is Taskmaster NZ's raunchiness baseline

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I'm sure I read or heard an interview with someone from the show (Alex, Greg or contestant) that said they wouldn't allow someone to get naked for a task. On the other hand, Lisa made Alex sit in cake, Rod make Alex show his bum and sprayed water out of it. (S7 spoiler for Alhazred...)

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I suppose we have had both Lou considering impregnating herself for a task and David Baddiel deliberating whether to put a chickpea up his arse or balance it on his cock. They'd get on well with the kiwis.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Seven has two Rhod Gilbert moments which cause me to believe he is the greatest UK contestant (the siren and the prize task).

I loved Rhod so much because he showed up to play an entirely different game called How Can I Make Them Regret Inviting Me and he was playing that game to win.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Pablo Bluth posted:

Many of the task segements on S6 are still fairly good, it's just the studio interaction that lets it down a bit. All five of the contestants end up being straight shooters and it lacks some of the 'agents of chaos' that make the best Taskmaster. That said, it's aged well just because S10 came along and took it's place at the bottom of the pile.

On S6 I also find that many of the tasks are very abstract and subjective in nature, "make most dramatic/exotic/emotional somethingsomethingsomething" enabling Greg to just throw fivers at Tarbuck.

I also find those types of assignments much more boring than tasks which you can measure accurately.

Der Kyhe fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Jan 24, 2022

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Trig Discipline posted:

The pendulum does draw the eye.

Trig Discipline posted:

I loved Rhod so much because he showed up to play an entirely different game called How Can I Make Them Regret Inviting Me and he was playing that game to win.

Rhod apparently showed up to play one game and one game only: "How can I kill Alex Horne?"

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Or Rhod was playing 'How can I screw with one of my best friends on national television and make him like it?'

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
Nightly bump, for S05E06, what a cracker.

DIY: For a change of pace, Aisling going for the smutty angle instead of Sally (actually throughout this episode, not just the prize task!)
Seesaw: Alex throwing some extra awkwardness in, by being needy about how hard he was to lift. Wondered myself if the box was sealed well enough to fill with water.
POV: One task with four incredible moments. Bob having every in stitches at the start, and a very funny film make up two of them, and Nish getting a talking-to is immense. But this is Sally's crowning moment (no pun intended!) Just spectacular.
Pineapple: Makes you wonder how often individual tasks just don't pan out. This one was at least an entertaining misfire. "One religious, one horse-based".
Candle: Moving on from an individual task to the lesser-seen task with an individual constraint. But for my money it's one of the all time greats, it's such a precision targetted assault from Alex upon someone he knows extremely well. Even though the task doesn't require any talking, this simple addition causes Mark to go to pieces.
Paints: Bit similar to an earlier live task this series, perhaps they should have saved this for the next series.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Or Rhod was playing 'How can I screw with one of my best friends on national television and make him like it?'

Rhod is my favorite troll out of all the seasons.

He always seems out of his league in any show he leads though. Honestly solid as a guest on everything, but he has no hosting ability.

He also reminds me of James Van der Beek, physically.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Rhod kind of went overboard with the trolling. A couple tasks he kinda just doesn't do and instead monologues about how bad Greg's Teeth are, and then I dunno why he would ever think the best noise would get any points at all.

Greg's double take in the fez task was amazing though.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Greg's double take in the fez task was amazing though.

That was an amazing payoff

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

Acaster's reaction is heartless but classic. Little easter-egg - watch out for the nameplate on the runway in future episodes...

Nearly done with the Series 5 rewatch, here are some thoughts on the penultimate episode:
Extravagance: An incredibly heartfelt "I need this" from Mark, but in fairness it was a great entry - Sally was the only other good attempt here. Could you have entered something surprisingly inexpensive, like a real bargain? Perhaps the line of thinking that led TMNZ to go with that category.
Breadcrumbs: After seeing him walk blindly in circles, Nish strides determinedly in the complete wrong direction. It's a great simple idea for a task - one where you can really differentiate between the people who worked it out it and the ones who didn't.
don't.
Bob-sled: The return of the game theory task, but only as part of a more involved task. It looks like immense fun! The ramp is such a good prop it's not surprising they bring it back for later tasks.
Votes: You wait ages for a game theory task, then two come along at once. Sally's ability to get in everyone's heads was incredible here, and so it's a very deserved win for a random-seeming task.
Stop-motion: There's a single frame where Bob's eye looks pained after the banana goes in, and it sells it. Here, simplicity really carries the day - it's easy to make your story more complex than the medium can handle.
Zip-line: Live task that's very entertaining to watch. It is another task that must be harder in practice than it appears. Bob's tactic with the paper clips seems pretty sound, and loading the basket up seems like a good plan on reflection. Also key to avoid blocking the line with anything large.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Acaster refuses to greet Alex Horne and even Gilbert is weirded out by it.

The no blinking conteset: In the Norwegian version one of the contestant didn't blink for several hours and was really angry when he learned that the the second best didn't blink in half an hour.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Alhazred posted:

The no blinking conteset: In the Norwegian version one of the contestant didn't blink for several hours and was really angry when he learned that the the second best didn't blink in half an hour.

it's incredible how like every norwegian contestant did as good or better than rhod lol

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

It's incredible that no one realized that they could've just let their eyes shut.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

Alhazred posted:

It's incredible that no one realized that they could've just let their eyes shut.

I may have posted this before, but in one of the foreign versions, a contestant does that! What happens next is fantastic as well: the taskmaster's assistant sows doubt in their mind about whether they've correctly remembered whether the task permits this, and they end up opening their eyes to re-read it!

- You've produced a graph that shows the pointless of democracy
- Not just of democracy but of all human endeavour, basically. But to be fair, if people are watching Taskmaster, they know that already.

Sorry for endlessly filling the thread with self-indulgent posts for the past week. I felt I had to rush through series five before the podcast covers episode 8, because I want to gush about the finale. Like, a lot. Where the funniest moment, or the most impressive feat, or the cleverest solve of all Taskmaster occurs can be debated endlessly. But I think that nothing can top this episode for payoff, not just of the series, but of all the risks the show took with its format.

On paper, it might seem like the main payoff of a Taskmaster finale is just the accumulation of the scores, the presentation of the trophy. But in practice it's so much richer, the familiarity of the recurring cast heightens everything. Of course Nish's coconut bounces off a pole and lands at his feet. Of course Mark has a clever idea and then sabotages himself.

In this episode, there seem to be callbacks everywhere, down to the point where Aisling takes her trousers off again. Aisling and Sally produce graphs that call back to the attitude they established in their very first task. Of course, Sally's...er, voraciousness has been on display in one or two other tasks, but she gets to cap things off in the studio here.

Then out of nowhere, she gets one of the most elaborate individual tasks ever set. Except it isn't out of nowhere, it's been woven into the entire series, under everyone's noses. It's an incredible payoff, one that surely can't be repeated on that scale again. You have to admire Alex's craft here (but he still doesn't deserve five points...)

So we come to the last team task - another feature of the format which Alex had to fight for when he conceived the show. Obviously it's fun to watch people come together to accomplish something - or even to watch teams argue and fall apart. But there are subtler benefits as well. For example, when there are only two attempts at the task, you can examine each one in more depth. And a task that would outstay it's welcome with five attempts might shine with two.

This task realises both of those benefits. It's a winning idea for a task, fusing together a creative task with the "social task" of learning a lot about a person in a short time. We get to see a montage of the social side of the task - key to comprehending the songs of course. And then there's still enough time to indulge in two full length songs. Toss a coin for who goes first...

...And of course, it's the most incredible climax imaginable. Not only is it a remarkably catchy song and a touching tribute to Rosalind, but it also captures perfectly Mark and Nish's journey through the show. In doing so, they transcend their fate and write a happy ending for themselves. The rest of the show is all coda (of course Bob wins the series...). Even the credits acknowledge where the conclusion was made.

Mark smirks with satisfaction as Nish reaches the line about beans on toast; he knows that for once, this one should be good enough.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I can't believe I haven't posted the Youtube clip yet...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQxDyceIdK4

And have a high tempo cover...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpHMs-01K5o

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jan 27, 2022

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Bob Mortimer calling a seemingly very pleasant woman a "loving nightmare" loudly to her face in song form takes a lot of beating.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
Yeah, as much as Mark and Nish's song is objectively much better, I just can't help but love "Rosalind is a loving nightmare" more.

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!

Heavy_D posted:

Acaster's reaction is heartless but classic. Little easter-egg - watch out for the nameplate on the runway in future episodes...

I'm glad you said that because I never made the connection.

Image nameplate:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I'm honestly surprised that one of the team tasks didn't end with James punching either Rhod or Phil.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
We just started Taskmaster NZ Season 2, and by sheer coincidence I'm finally listening to Til Death Do Us Blart. I was absolutely not ready for the fact that the Guy from TM was the same Guy from Death Blart.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

sebzilla posted:

Bob Mortimer calling a seemingly very pleasant woman a "loving nightmare" loudly to her face in song form takes a lot of beating.

"Do we strike you?"

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Oh god, the hammock.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
Alex Horne just retweeted this, and this video was incredibly well edited.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgDfl6Icrqg

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Seven eps into NZ season 2 and I'm convinced David is a five year old who has magically been transformed into an adult in some kiwi version of Big.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

After exhausting Taskmaster NZ I've started watching Kongen Befaler, it's pretty fun too. Feels like the Norwegians tend to take a very hands-on approach to tasks and like their power tools. The studio atmosphere seems nice too, Greg Davies' merciless bullying is starting to feel like the unique approach out of the various Taskmasters.

At one point early in an episode I was thinking about how part of why Taskmaster works is that the tasks are arbitrary and meaningless and no reason is ever given for them, and just then they suddenly framed a task with a backstory ("the Tasmkaster's daughter has a birthday, set the table from behind the fence") and it felt super weird and old-fashioned and just odd.

wait what these are the What Does The Fox Say guys, what the gently caress is going on

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

My Lovely Horse posted:

After exhausting Taskmaster NZ I've started watching Kongen Befaler, it's pretty fun too. Feels like the Norwegians tend to take a very hands-on approach to tasks and like their power tools. The studio atmosphere seems nice too, Greg Davies' merciless bullying is starting to feel like the unique approach out of the various Taskmasters.

At one point early in an episode I was thinking about how part of why Taskmaster works is that the tasks are arbitrary and meaningless and no reason is ever given for them, and just then they suddenly framed a task with a backstory ("the Tasmkaster's daughter has a birthday, set the table from behind the fence") and it felt super weird and old-fashioned and just odd.

wait what these are the What Does The Fox Say guys, what the gently caress is going on

I just watched the first season of KB, and I love that the show turns into a mechanical engineering challenge for entire episodes at a time. Thanks to the power tools, multiple fires, and general sense of 'yeah ok, go for it', it feels like almost every task features an attempt that would have been disallowed for safety in the UK version.

Obviously, the in-studio segments suffer as an English-speaker. I get the sense that there's a lot of wordplay and allusion going on that can't possibly land through basic translation.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

Even though it's a tiny little thing in the grand scheme of things, I really think the title sequence to the first series of KB is one of the greatest opening montages. Almost every half second cut is funny or intriguing - I never fail to laugh at the Wendy house trying to board a bus.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Heavy_D posted:

Even though it's a tiny little thing in the grand scheme of things, I really think the title sequence to the first series of KB is one of the greatest opening montages. Almost every half second cut is funny or intriguing - I never fail to laugh at the Wendy house trying to board a bus.

i legit think Maria Stavang is one of the funniest chaotic fuckup competitors of any season, up there with David Correos

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

eke out posted:

i legit think Maria Stavang is one of the funniest chaotic fuckup competitors of any season, up there with David Correos

I just rewatched the episode where she spends the entire 200 Kroner budget for a task on waffles, and still arguably comes third. Although it's pretty heretical to bring back contestants for a second series, Maria is the most easily forgivable.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Heavy_D posted:

I just rewatched the episode where she spends the entire 200 Kroner budget for a task on waffles, and still arguably comes third. Although it's pretty heretical to bring back contestants for a second series, Maria is the most easily forgivable.

the funniest thing to me, which is apparently not a gimmick at all, was her just earnestly eating everything she could in each task like she was starving, even when it actively hurt her chances

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

eke out posted:

Just wait till you get to Amir Asgharnejad.

Alhazred fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Feb 3, 2022

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

guz's descriptions of his fellow contestants on today's podcast:

morgana: cool drama teacher that lets you do mdma
alan: deputy headmaster who really takes an interest in students
desiree: career counselor who makes you really want to get one
victoria: teacher so strict you're afraid she'll have you deported

Alhazred posted:

Just wait till you get to Amir Asgharnejad.

i'm halfway through his season, he's great

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

So I'm starting to believe that someone bought too many eggs and started this show to get rid of them.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Anyone know where I can find full episodes of the Mitchell show, Outsiders, in the US?

I've seen a couple of quick youtube compilation videos but nothing otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Anyone know where I can find full episodes of the Mitchell show, Outsiders, in the US?

I've seen a couple of quick youtube compilation videos but nothing otherwise.

r/panelshow has links if you search for it, I believe