Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

The_Doctor posted:

I'm not sure what they're doing to the voice, but I was surprised to learn the very Emma Thompson-sounding Zero, is actually voiced by 27 year old man, Angus Imrie.

I had to check out some interviews with Angus Imrie since I couldn't recall seeing anything with them and was like, yup, that sounds like zero

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

The_Doctor posted:

I'm not sure what they're doing to the voice, but I was surprised to learn the very Emma Thompson-sounding Zero, is actually voiced by 27 year old man, Angus Imrie.

I love his voice. It’s so beautifully androgynous. The perfect fit for a gender ambiguous ball of space gas.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Hello, it’s me, the thread’s Discovery liker. I fell behind because of Final Fantasy XIV’s expansion launch and then going on vacation, so I hadn’t seen anything after the Tilly episode (which was good!). I just finished catching up to the end of the season and, man…

…that certainly was some Star Trek content that I watched on my computer!

Zora’s whole “AI in control of the entire ship” thing was resolved by declaring her a new form of life and giving her a Starfleet commission? Okay, sure?? I guess it’s okay for something to have greater intrinsic authority over the ship than literally anyone else on board including the captain if they say they’ll follow orders! It would have been great if Stamets (who is chief engineer now??) had spent literally any time at all being freaked out about Zora’s existence before that episode. Also, I wish it was less “Stamets needs convincing that Zora is good, which is a foregone conclusion”, and more Measure of a Man-like “Kovich needs convincing that Zora is a person and not a threat”.

Gray’s leaving? After all that setup with getting him a body? Sure?? Weird that he did a therapy thing with Zora when we already have Culber. Gray had the whole “I’m in a new body too” sympathetic bit but him suddenly being Zora’s advocate felt really forced. Kind of upset he’s leaving because it felt like he could have had a role on the crew (and I liked him) but sure, I guess! Hope he shows up later in a non-contrived way.

Hey, I just can’t stop talking about Zora! Weirdly, I am entirely okay when Janeway yells COMPUTER TARGET THE ORPHANAGE AND FIRE when Tuvok is right behind her at Tactical, but it rubs me the wrong way when Burnham asks Zora to analyze something when Adira is at the science station. Hell, Bryce outlined how to use sonar to scan for the weird particles and then Zora did the thing? Were they doing it to emphasize that she was in control of the whole ship?

Really loved it when Owosekun demanded to be sent on a suicide repair mission and got shut down by Saru. It was an excellent character moment, emphasizing Saru’s calm stoicism in the face of danger in contrast to Owosekun, who has a history of volunteering for hopeless things. They sure didn’t need to have her apologize and drop her backstory after the fact, though!

I am actually really happy about Book being positioned as a villain(?) for the second half of the season. “Diplomacy is bad, actually” is a good oppositional stance for an antagonist, and Book has been established as a sympathetic character with every reason to turn coat like this. I’m hoping this lasts for longer than two episodes and that Tarka doesn’t get the Leland treatment and somehow turn into the face of Species 10-C.

Time to catch up on Prodigy, I guess!

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Edit: I am bad at reading.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Jan 26, 2022

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
"Diplomacy is bad, actually" is very much a weird-in-hindsight TOS thing, so it's not the first time it's appeared in Trek. Several episodes have Kirk and/or Spock being dismissive or even outright insulting when Federation diplomats want to solve a conflict situation rather than let the gunboat captain handle it.

It was so ingrained that when TNG started, Picard's passive "let's talk this out peaceably" attitude felt bizarre at first. I guess Roddenberry changed his tune post-Vietnam.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Payndz posted:

"Diplomacy is bad, actually" is very much a weird-in-hindsight TOS thing, so it's not the first time it's appeared in Trek. Several episodes have Kirk and/or Spock being dismissive or even outright insulting when Federation diplomats want to solve a conflict situation rather than let the gunboat captain handle it.

It was so ingrained that when TNG started, Picard's passive "let's talk this out peaceably" attitude felt bizarre at first. I guess Roddenberry changed his tune post-Vietnam.

There is literally an episode of TOS that has a perfect peaceful utopia that is basically a physical heaven, and Kirk is like “This is actually a bad thing.” and then has to beat the poo poo out of or otherwise make everyone involved violently angry in order to “solve” the problem of paradise.

Spock fell in love and was legitimately happy for the first time in his miserable Vulcan life and Kirk was like “gently caress THAT poo poo” and beat him over the head with a lead pipe.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

nine-gear crow posted:

There is literally an episode of TOS that has a perfect peaceful utopia that is basically a physical heaven, and Kirk is like “This is actually a bad thing.” and then has to beat the poo poo out of or otherwise make everyone involved violently angry in order to “solve” the problem of paradise.

Spock fell in love and was legitimately happy for the first time in his miserable Vulcan life and Kirk was like “gently caress THAT poo poo” and beat him over the head with a lead pipe.

I hate this trope so much.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

nine-gear crow posted:

Jealousy is a powerful thing.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

nine-gear crow posted:

It's drug planet, though, right? The reason everybody is happy and doesn't want to leave is because the plants have spores that take over your brain. Plus, the crew is mutinying to abandon the ship and go live on the planet. It''s kind of not a good thing.

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.

Epicurius posted:

It's drug planet, though, right? The reason everybody is happy and doesn't want to leave is because the plants have spores that take over your brain. Plus, the crew is mutinying to abandon the ship and go live on the planet. It''s kind of not a good thing.

You say that, but in our modern times if you gave me the option to live a blissed out life in paradise in exchange for having my brain overthrown by a fungus, I would seriously consider it a tempting option.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

My Second Re-Reg posted:

You say that, but in our modern times if you gave me the option to live a blissed out life in paradise in exchange for having my brain overthrown by a fungus, I would seriously consider it a tempting option.

this is called owning cats and smoking weed all day

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Irradiated drug planet too. If you don’t huff the spores you just die. There is no choice, as they themselves admit. The colony is authoritarian and predatory and can be destroyed as much by one guy shouting racial slurs as by loving supersonic itching powder or whatever the hell it is they do. Imo it is wrong to accept the valuations of people brainwashed by inhaling parasitic alien jizz to think that they’re in paradise.

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

this is called owning cats and smoking weed all day

Oh. Well, I'm already there and it doesn't seem nearly as fun as I would have hoped. :(

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Star Trek: Life is poo poo and YOU WILL ENDURE IT, MISTER!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Me, nude and frolicking with my fellow Neo-Gaians: lol

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Edenic frolicking is for when the jarheads roll up, what they mostly spend their time doing is subsistence farming

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

My Second Re-Reg posted:

Oh. Well, I'm already there and it doesn't seem nearly as fun as I would have hoped. :(

Your happy brain parasite count is low, solution is more cats

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Nerds have extrapolated that painting from the Picard trailer. I don’t know why the nacelles are like that.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I hate this. It is revolting.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

Nerds have extrapolated that painting from the Picard trailer. I don’t know why the nacelles are like that.

Well whoever did that 3D model pretty obviously can't model properly themselves, they just took an existing galaxy model and sliced it and moved bits around and added simple shapes to make the mock-up. Which is fine for a mock-up, but yeah, they were limited by what was there, so it's pretty inaccurate to the guesstimate outlines someone did of the out of focus painting.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The_Doctor posted:

The nacelles are like that on the Constitution refit and the 1701-A.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Fun fact: the Fascist Galaxy was designed by the same person who designed the USS Titan.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

Looks like the Cybermen took over the Federation.

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can

nine-gear crow posted:

It was a very topical idea for the 1960's.

Love and Happiness? Get that flower child poo poo outta here. We are professional space men with the right stuff and we comb our hair and act civilized.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MikeJF posted:

Fun fact: the Fascist Galaxy was designed by the same person who designed the USS Titan.

Sean Tourangeau is actually pretty drat good at designing post-TNG starships, so I’m glad they’ve brought him into the fold full time now. The Fash-D looks appropriately god awful. Like it was purpose build to make any TNG fan who looked at it recoil in disgust as a way to visually sell how hosed up the Fash Federation is. Same way how the Cerritos was intentionally designed to look like a piece of poo poo too. I like it.

E: hell, if I was running the show, that would basically be my instructions to the art department. “Give me an All Good Things Enterprise. Take the D, and do something to it that will make Andrew Probert frothing mad when he sees what you’ve done.”

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jan 26, 2022

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

skasion posted:

Irradiated drug planet too. If you don’t huff the spores you just die. There is no choice, as they themselves admit. The colony is authoritarian and predatory and can be destroyed as much by one guy shouting racial slurs as by loving supersonic itching powder or whatever the hell it is they do. Imo it is wrong to accept the valuations of people brainwashed by inhaling parasitic alien jizz to think that they’re in paradise.

The alternatives are so much worse with so much higher baseline suffering and misery it's absurd for someone living in torture-existence to go around suggesting people in bliss should feel as lovely and miserable as everyone else actually, because uhh freedom? freedom is a lovely consolation prize for petty individualist mortals maintaining prisons of their own design.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

Sean Tourangeau is actually pretty drat good at designing post-TNG starships, so I’m glad they’ve brought him into the fold full time now. The Fash-D looks appropriately god awful. Like it was purpose build to make any TNG fan who looked at it recoil in disgust as a way to visually sell how hosed up the Fash Federation is. Same way how the Cerritos was intentionally designed to look like a piece of poo poo too. I like it.

E: hell, if I was running the show, that would basically be my instructions to the art department. “Give me an All Good Things Enterprise. Take the D, and do something to it that will make Andrew Probert frothing mad when he sees what you’ve done.”

Given how many love that monstrosity, I wonder how many 'ironic' terran empire fans will love this trash bucket?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

This isn't too bad, the hotdogs are securely attached. It's not coloured so you can imagine they put the christmas lights on the right sides, what's the issue? Is slicing up the saucer just anathema? Looks like it could be like a dinner table deal where it can compact into a regular saucer, then cock itself to open up and reveal some extra guns in they need to step up to someone trying to toe the line.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

That saucer deflector dish is the permanently weaponized version of the thing they tried in BOBW, isn't it. There is even the smaller secondary one to play the role of "not Spinal lance weapon".

So All Good Things combined with concepts lifted straight from the STO, which seem to be a theme recently.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah i think it looks fine

not as the hero ship but as a trek antihero ship sure

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
It appropriately telegraphs “this is the Enterprise, but evil”.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
they don't need all that saucer volume for diplomats and refugees* so they cut it out to make it more menacing like axe blades

I kind of dig it

*the D didn't need all that space either, but in principle

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I bet they use it to slice up enemy ships.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
It feels like an 80s/90s toy like MASK or something where you push a button on the saucer and the sides pop out and weapons pop out

pew pew

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

lol, they just replaced the saucer with a toy Cylon Raider.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Hispanic! At The Disco posted:

lol, they just replaced the saucer with a toy Cylon Raider.

:eyepop:

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

My issue is that the middle part is so much shorter than the sides.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Technowolf posted:

My issue is that the middle part is so much shorter than the sides.

Watch after all this Terry Matalas is going to post a high-res version of it after the episode airs and the saucer gap is just people wildly misinterpreting a shadow.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

not sure why they posted the shot in potato size/quality, but here's a slightly larger shot

e: for one thing I don't thing the nacells are quite as blocky/stubby in the painting as they are in the "rendering"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Snow Cone Capone posted:

not sure why they posted the shot in potato size/quality, but here's a slightly larger shot

Okay, yeah that is definitely a saucer gap then.