Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

My one gripe is why not just use the word holocron!! That’s what it is !! Ahhhh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Darth TNT posted:

And by god the Knights of Ren. :allears: Such a glorious group of losers. I'm struggling to think of a more squandered group of rejects.

I thought about this a bit and find it really hard to come up with anything comparable. The red guards in TLJ come to mind, existing just to do Power Ranger Poses and then die, or the red guard in Return of the Jedi. Those guys didn't even get to do anything... but neither group was really part of the story before they showed up, they were just there for flavor. TFA established that the nefarious Kylo Ren was the leader of THE KNIGHTS OF REN. Who were the KNIGHTS OF REN? Are they all as badass as Kylo? What did he do to become their leader? Are they some sort anti-Jedi order?

Nope, they are a biker gang. Kylo doesn't even interact with them that much, and disposes of them rather quickly.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Luke was also going to join the Imperial flight academy originally, and may or may not have intended to defect.

He later tells Obi Wan he hates the Empire so I'm curious why he wanted to join one of their academies so bad

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
The Knights of Ren kind of look like a lacrosse team

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Grendels Dad posted:

Nope, they are a biker gang. Kylo doesn't even interact with them that much, and disposes of them rather quickly.
A biker gang without bikes. They just ride around in a coal-rolling space truck.

What's that saying about how you shouldn't make references to a good movie in your bad movie? The Knights of Ren are like the Black Skulls from Mandy, if they loving sucked

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jan 25, 2022

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Insofar as there is anything worth remembering about the knights of ren, it's that the one who wore horse blinders on his helmet was their pilot

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

The Knights of Ren adhere to the teachings of John K., if you catch my drift.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Larryb posted:

He later tells Obi Wan he hates the Empire so I'm curious why he wanted to join one of their academies so bad

To get the gently caress outta dodge

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Larryb posted:

He's a farmer who hates "big government" but nonetheless loves the military. I'll never understand these people either but there are millions of them in the United States.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

It seems like a well documented space grift at this point to have the empire pay for your schooling then bail. That said I'm not sure why everyone has such a hard on for going to pilot school when most of the characters in question are innate genius pilots already

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Big government is usually white supremacist code. It can also be free market liberal code . But farmers yeah . They depend on big governments

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Halloween Jack posted:

He's a farmer who hates "big government" but nonetheless loves the military. I'll never understand these people either but there are millions of them in the United States.

Knows in his heart that taxation is theft but the Stormtrooper corps are the thin white line between order and chaos in the galaxy.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

General Dog posted:

Waiting for the introduction of the Order of Stimpy in the EU.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

General Dog posted:

It was Jeffery Epstein actually

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Larryb posted:

Deleted scenes featured a plotline where Biggs had a contact at the academy who could help him join the Rebellion, and Luke had a similar idea.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Does anyone have archive links to any of the pre-2016 threads? I want to dive into some of the older prequel discussions.

Mr. Grapes!
Feb 12, 2007
Mr. who?

Larryb posted:

Same reason most teenage boys join the military? Because it seems awesome to travel to exotic places, pilot heavy equipment, and blow poo poo up? He was stuck in a boring farming town and wanted to fly space jets. I don't think he had any real politics until the stormtroopers killed his family.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Grendels Dad posted:

I thought about this a bit and find it really hard to come up with anything comparable. The red guards in TLJ come to mind, existing just to do Power Ranger Poses and then die, or the red guard in Return of the Jedi. Those guys didn't even get to do anything... but neither group was really part of the story before they showed up, they were just there for flavor. TFA established that the nefarious Kylo Ren was the leader of THE KNIGHTS OF REN. Who were the KNIGHTS OF REN? Are they all as badass as Kylo? What did he do to become their leader? Are they some sort anti-Jedi order?

There's a difference though. The red guards from the OT aren't named in the movie, the camera doesn't linger on them. They're set dressing. They're the Buckingham Palace guards. You can expect them to do something if poo poo comes in the way of the thing they need to guard. But it never happens so they just barely exist.
The red guards from the ST do pretty much the same thing. They're also not named, the camera doesn't linger on them. They're set dressing except in this case they're caught off guard when their charge suddenly dies. So they get to do stuff. Like power ranger poses and then die. But hey, they looked awesome doing it at least.

The Knights of Ren meanwhile carry the name of one of the movie's leads. I think they're named once in the Force Awakens? I know they don't show up at all in TLJ. But then show up getting slaughtered in the beginning of the RotS, followed by standing around on a cliff and fighting Kylo with a wifflebat before dying. It's amazing.
Maybe they should've left Snoke and Palpatine behind and just focused on the Knights of Ren.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
The movie never says it’s the military Academy, just the academy (I’m not even sure the movie calls it “Imperial”). Considering how in his deleted scene Biggs is jumping ship to the Rebels specifically because he thinks the Empire is about to take control of all spaceships, I’m pretty sure the Academy is supposed to be like getting your Pilots License to fly big commercial jumbo jets or the Merchant Marine. In fact I bet it’s the Merchant Marine because as we all know space is an ocean with navies and the Merchant Marine even has a whole thing where the government is allowed to press gang you into military action. And the Empire trying to evilly militarize all the dashing freedom loving Star pilots who go where the wind takes them is exactly the kind of imagery Star Wars is about.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Darth TNT posted:

There's a difference though. The red guards from the OT aren't named in the movie, the camera doesn't linger on them. They're set dressing. They're the Buckingham Palace guards. You can expect them to do something if poo poo comes in the way of the thing they need to guard. But it never happens so they just barely exist.
The red guards from the ST do pretty much the same thing. They're also not named, the camera doesn't linger on them. They're set dressing except in this case they're caught off guard when their charge suddenly dies. So they get to do stuff. Like power ranger poses and then die. But hey, they looked awesome doing it at least.

The Knights of Ren meanwhile carry the name of one of the movie's leads. I think they're named once in the Force Awakens? I know they don't show up at all in TLJ. But then show up getting slaughtered in the beginning of the RotS, followed by standing around on a cliff and fighting Kylo with a wifflebat before dying. It's amazing.
Maybe they should've left Snoke and Palpatine behind and just focused on the Knights of Ren.

Yeah exactly. It's as if ANH mentions that Darth Vader is a dark lord of the Sith, and then in RotJ we get a group of punks in Mad Max cosplay outfits getting their asses kicked by the Ewoks. Mystifying decision and completely underwhelming in every regard.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I think, I could also be wrong, but Rian mentioned making snokes guards the knights of Ren but because they got dispatched so quickly he figured he should leave them to the next filmmaker so they didn’t waste them

Lol

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

JJ Abrams half listening to that interview: "Huh? Dispatch them quickly? Got it!"

Star Wars fans should really check out Episode 5 of "The Book of Boba Fett" - it has no relation to the previous 4 episodes so if you're soured on boba fett you don't have to worry. Its just a really well made romp with connections to the PT, OT, AND ST. Its also very well made. Some of the most gorgeous effects on the TV shows so far.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

CelticPredator posted:

I think, I could also be wrong, but Rian mentioned making snokes guards the knights of Ren but because they got dispatched so quickly he figured he should leave them to the next filmmaker so they didn’t waste them

Lol

I wouldn't have minded that at all, gives them a connection to Snoke and most importantly a mission. Snoke corrupted Kylo and made him the boss of his own personal guard, makes sense. And then they die and that loose end is nicely tied up.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

CelticPredator posted:

Lol

Wookiewiki seemed to think so. In writing about Ren I looked at their page to see if I didn't conflate other marketing material with movie material. It's in their note section.

Grendels Dad posted:

Yeah exactly. It's as if ANH mentions that Darth Vader is a dark lord of the Sith, and then in RotJ we get a group of punks in Mad Max cosplay outfits getting their asses kicked by the Ewoks. Mystifying decision and completely underwhelming in every regard.

ST in a nutshell.

Grendels Dad posted:

I wouldn't have minded that at all, gives them a connection to Snoke and most importantly a mission. Snoke corrupted Kylo and made him the boss of his own personal guard, makes sense. And then they die and that loose end is nicely tied up.

Definitely. Or don't pivot back to Palpatine and instead have the Ren be new guys pulling the strings after Snoke died.

Jerkface posted:

Star Wars fans should really check out Episode 5 of "The Book of Boba Fett" - it has no relation to the previous 4 episodes so if you're soured on boba fett you don't have to worry. Its just a really well made romp with connections to the PT, OT, AND ST. Its also very well made. Some of the most gorgeous effects on the TV shows so far.

That's a good sell right there. I really need to sit down and watch that.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Jerkface posted:

JJ Abrams half listening to that interview: "Huh? Dispatch them quickly? Got it!"

Pretty sure most of the money for the season went to this episode because nearly everything in the previous episodes looks like total dog poo poo.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Did Rodriguez finally stop directing episodes

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

euphronius posted:

Did Rodriguez finally stop directing episodes

Bryce Dallas Howard did this week's.

I don't really keep up on that stuff but people in the TVIV said Rodriguez has one more.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I can understand his technical skill but his episodes always slide off me

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Yeah I'll agree that this episode is a good Star War that blends Prequels well with originals and animated and even ties in Fallen order stuff. Very well directed and good looking, too.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Darth TNT posted:

Yeah, there's nothing wrong with having glorified mooks. But these characters were built up and then did nothing.

I call it the General Katana Rule: If a villain is going to have a climactic fight with the hero, you should establish that they can actually fight. I don't remember the Knights of Ren doing anything at all before they get killed by Kylo.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Halloween Jack posted:

Yeah, there's nothing wrong with having glorified mooks. But these characters were built up and then did nothing.

I call it the General Katana Rule: If a villain is going to have a climactic fight with the hero, you should establish that they can actually fight. I don't remember the Knights of Ren doing anything at all before they get killed by Kylo.

Reminds me of how the Clone Wars shorts introduced General Grievous as basically a slasher movie villain against Jedi and in the movies he became an asthmatic Snidely Whiplash.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I do think that Lucas knew what he was doing with that. Grievous tells us he's trained in Jedi arts, has a bunch of lightsabers he's taken as trophies, and Obi-Wan is like "I'm going to have so much fun killing this stupid bastard."

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Halloween Jack posted:

I do think that Lucas knew what he was doing with that. Grievous tells us he's trained in Jedi arts, has a bunch of lightsabers he's taken as trophies, and Obi-Wan is like "I'm going to have so much fun killing this stupid bastard."

There's a point there. Though even Obi-Wan is driven to his limits to actually kill Grievous in practice.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

porfiria posted:

That's well and good but it raises a rather troubling question: who the gently caress is Rey?

why is it "troubling" to not know who a character's parents are? Rey is Rey. I enjoyed the character of han solo in the original trilogy even though they never showed me a family tree

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Mr. Grapes! posted:

Same reason most teenage boys join the military? Because it seems awesome to travel to exotic places, pilot heavy equipment, and blow poo poo up? He was stuck in a boring farming town and wanted to fly space jets. I don't think he had any real politics until the stormtroopers killed his family.

Or because they need money. On that note, is Luke supposed to be poor on Tatooine? He seems pretty comfortable.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Since Lucas spent his teenage years loving around with his friends and dreaming of becoming a race car driver, while his dad wanted him to work at the family's stationery store instead of going off to college, it's probably fair to say Luke's financial situation is supposed to be "middle class California teen in the 60's".

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

You have three movies to tell the story of a full war, and all three wasted gobs of time on Rey's parentage when the subject really never needed to be raised to begin with.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

He’s not middle class he’s part of an fringe agricultural colony

To the extent the term middle class has any meaning

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The topic of her parents needed to be discussed because it’s a core part of her identity and a conflict the resolution of which drives her story (in part )

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The character of rey is a tripod of parents issues, wanting to kiss weird adam driver face, and being a star wars fan. Don't get me wrong, none of those legs are great, but you can't really get rid of any without a replacement