Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Philippe posted:

Jesus Christ, I skipped six hundred pages and you're still talking about Star Trek?

You're on an internet forum, on the internet, populated by mostly of 30+ yr old boomers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

MariusLecter posted:

You're on an internet forum, on the internet, populated by mostly of 30+ yr old boomers.

a boomer in their 30s would be quite remarkable

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Barry Foster posted:

Boomerism is a state of mind.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Barry Foster posted:

To Gen Z, everyone older than them is a Boomer.

As if Millennials haven't suffered enough.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Toshimo posted:

Lmao. Andy Griffith was America's favorite cop.

Hell, you had Adam 12, Dragnet, CHiPs, Hawaii Five-O. Plenty of popular cop shut in the 50/60s/70s.

It goes back to radio, too. "I Was a Communist for the FBI", "Dragnet", "Broadway is my Beat", "True Tales of the Texas Rangers", "Gang Busters", "Crime Does Not Pay" - copaganda in media is as old as the media.

If you have XM give a listen to the old radio channel.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Was there any complaints or protests about Lord of the Rings? Kind of a funny once there since you've got dwarves and hobbits who are both little people of different kinds.

I'm not little myself so I'm more than willing to be corrected here -- but it feels like neither dwarves nor hobbits were particularly othered in that. Especially where in Fellowship there are a bunch of shots from the hobbits' POV making them feel like the normal and the default and the rest of the world feel large and looming and exotic and alien. That feels very at odds with something like Snow White where it's the small characters who exist to be weird and fantastical and different in comparison to a tall protagonist.

Ortho
Jul 6, 2021

pentyne posted:

Huh, kind of interesting. Wonder when the full throated cop worship started in media. Feel like Hill Street Blues was probably the start of the trend despite not showing cops in a glowing light and every successive attempt to make a cop drama leaned more into the "bad things for good reasons" with every iteration.

Don't think cops were highly regarded in the 50s and 60s, and the massive ramp in crime in the 70s and 80s probably led to more people having contempt for the useless police at the time.
The author, Erle Stanley Gardner, was a practicing defense attorney before turning author, so he probably saw cops for what they are. He wasn't a fan. He also pointed out how forensic science was junk.

(The crime organization book is The Case of the Moth-Eaten Mink, should anyone wish to read it.)

Ortho has a new favorite as of 16:48 on Jan 26, 2022

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I've been watching Seinfeld and there's this episode from where Elaine is dating a guy named Joel Rifkin, who shares his name with a serial killer who was caught the year of the episode. She convinces him to change his name, and suggests some sports players' names, one of which is O.J. She's very excited about this, begging him to change his name to O.J.

I like how quickly that one aged out. Was that commented on at the time, I wonder?

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Brawnfire posted:

I've been watching Seinfeld and there's this episode from where Elaine is dating a guy named Joel Rifkin, who shares his name with a serial killer who was caught the year of the episode. She convinces him to change his name, and suggests some sports players' names, one of which is O.J. She's very excited about this, begging him to change his name to O.J.

I like how quickly that one aged out. Was that commented on at the time, I wonder?

It’s been commented on basically since that episode hit syndication, since it aired just 6 months before the murders and the show later used the police chase footage in another episode.

Of course, part of me wonders if they were actually referring to Simpson at all with the original joke. While it’s quite likely, the episode involved them going to a Giants game and they had a running back in those years named Ottis “O.J” Anderson who’d won Comeback Player of the Year and Super Bowl MVP a couple years before.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Brawnfire posted:

I've also been watching seinfeld and my favorite aged joke is when Kramer says Jerry's last set has been getting bad reviews on the internet and the laugh track goes off

That was it, that was the entire joke, I had to remind myself that in the 90s treating anything internet related with credibility was funny in itself (it should have stayed this way)

I think there was a similar joke on the simpsons where a fancy upscale private school having a website was considered a sign gag

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'm almost certain if there was a commentary track the writers would be laughing about it. It's the kind of punchline they'd wish they could do on purpose.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

pretty soft girl posted:

I think there was a similar joke on the simpsons where a fancy upscale private school having a website was considered a sign gag

Yep, it’s the school in Cypress Creek in You Only Move Twice (The Hank Scorpio episode) from 1996. The writers themselves called it one of the most dated jokes in the show when they did the DVD commentary.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Brawnfire posted:

Honestly I think it makes the joke even better.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Yeah, I laughed really hard at it, then I was like wait, this isn't a period piece, there's no irony intended...

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

pretty soft girl posted:

Considering the ongoing joke that Springfield Elementary is supposed to in a pretty poor shape that joke could probably work today.

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful
Plus isn't the entire URL spelled out on the sign? That's at least a secondary joke now, that no one would ever do that. Suggests the school is stupid, though.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
My Star Trek hot take is that I think the "unhinged wingnuts" plotting of Voyager is more realistic and relevant than DS9's brooding, self-aware ruminations on the chaotic nature of manmade systems.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

pretty soft girl posted:

I've also been watching seinfeld and my favorite aged joke is when Kramer says Jerry's last set has been getting bad reviews on the internet and the laugh track goes off
This is incredible :allears:

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

AOL keyword: yikes

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Stayne Falls posted:

Plus isn't the entire URL spelled out on the sign? That's at least a secondary joke now, that no one would ever do that. Suggests the school is stupid, though.

Yep.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

pentyne posted:

Huh, kind of interesting. Wonder when the full throated cop worship started in media. Feel like Hill Street Blues was probably the start of the trend despite not showing cops in a glowing light and every successive attempt to make a cop drama leaned more into the "bad things for good reasons" with every iteration.

Don't think cops were highly regarded in the 50s and 60s, and the massive ramp in crime in the 70s and 80s probably led to more people having contempt for the useless police at the time.

The Gang Busters radio program debuted in 1936 and the tv show in 1952. So sometime before that.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

No https, either.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

Absurd Alhazred posted:

No https, either.

Back in the days of actually typing in HTTP I don't recall ever manually using an HTTPS site. I was a kid, though so no OG online banking.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Back in the days of actually typing in HTTP I don't recall ever manually using an HTTPS site. I was a kid, though so no OG online banking.

I'm just saying it aged poorly, I'm not sure https was really a thing back then. :v:

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
It was a thing specifically for like, pages where you enter credit card info. So if you're buying something you get sent to a secure page, if you're changing a password maybe, but for 90% of pages it was just HTTP.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Maxwell Lord posted:

It was a thing specifically for like, pages where you enter credit card info. So if you're buying something you get sent to a secure page, if you're changing a password maybe, but for 90% of pages it was just HTTP.

Well, that episode is from 1996, and SSL 2, the first public one, only came out in 1995. So I don't think it was very widespread yet, period.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Toshimo posted:

Lmao. Andy Griffith was America's favorite cop.

Hell, you had Adam 12, Dragnet, CHiPs, Hawaii Five-O. Plenty of popular cop shut in the 50/60s/70s.

Andy Taylor was pretty much the only competent cop on the whole series.

Barney almost always jumped to the wrong conclusions or wasn't rational in the slightest. Warren was more thorough, but worse than Barney about social cues. Any of the locals temporarily deputized screwed it up, big-time ("and get that gun out of your mouth"). Big city cops didn't know how to handle local situations. Even the dog Barney brought in once was friendlier with the bad guys. All of it was played for laughs, of course.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Sir Lemming posted:

My guess is you should not in fact take it seriously. I can't be bothered / don't have access to listen to the original interview, but I saw the same article (probably) and I smell clickbait. The quotes from him definitely sound like he's kind of doing a bit, in a way that wouldn't come across without hearing his tone of voice. Similar to the recent thing with John Stewart discussing antisemitism in Harry Potter. (Not that there aren't valid discussions to be had about both of these things, but the quotes sounded so much more humorless and condemning in print.)

If its a bit then its a bit he's been doing for a decade. There's interviews from 2012 where he says how he'll refuse to play magical dwarves and elves and leprechauns. Someone called him out for playing a fantasy-esque dwarf in a Marvel movie and he said he only agreed to even look at the script because they said he'd be huge.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

EthanSteele posted:

If its a bit then its a bit he's been doing for a decade. There's interviews from 2012 where he says how he'll refuse to play magical dwarves and elves and leprechauns. Someone called him out for playing a fantasy-esque dwarf in a Marvel movie and he said he only agreed to even look at the script because they said he'd be huge.

That is a pretty fun way around it.

PRetty sure the Snow White and the Huntsman movie or whatever it was had the dwarves be full blown fantasy dwarves.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

pretty soft girl posted:

That was it, that was the entire joke, I had to remind myself that in the 90s treating anything internet related with credibility was funny in itself (it should have stayed this way)

I wonder if that is a recurring trend. Are there any episodes of the Dick van dyke show that make fun of the VCR?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

IT'S CALL WAITING! CALL WAITING, GEORGE! CALL WAITING, ELAINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! CALL WAITING KRAMMERRRRR

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Toshimo posted:

Adam-12 was basically Dragnet but with more human-like cops. Reed and Malloy would occasionally gently caress up and get reprimanded for it. I don't if that happened in Dragnet. Joe Friday was just a policebot.

Pachylad
Jul 12, 2017

pretty soft girl posted:

https://twitter.com/maxsaltman/status/1488555017804124171

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
Now I want to see one from the advent of indoor plumbing where a party host is pointing down the hall and saying "The toilet? It's in that room."

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣

This same post but 30 years in the future so it's all "Stevie, neuraload your metawork to your teacher" and "whoof, these dollar tree chastity cages are tight!"

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

am i the only one that doesn't find this particularly funny? i mean, it's not even a clever url name.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Mr Interweb posted:

am i the only one that doesn't find this particularly funny? i mean, it's not even a clever url name.

That's what makes it a poorly aged joke. :v:

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The joke is that they have a website at all. There were no clever urls back then—you could register whatever domain you wanted and it was right there for five bucks.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Colleges have websites for official business and student use. But an elementary school? Wowee!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

I AM GRANDO posted:

The joke is that they have a website at all. There were no clever urls back then—you could register whatever domain you wanted and it was right there for five bucks.

It was $100 per year.