Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

THE BIG DOG DADDY posted:

Oops the new BMW electrics already outperform their ICE counterparts

https://www.bmwblog.com/2022/01/23/bmw-i4-m50-drag-race-m3-xdrive/

If you're wondering if you should read this, don't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

it's irresponsible to buy a new ICE car anyway. i mean it's irresponsible to buy a new car no matter what but at least buy an EV

Mahatma-Squid
Nov 22, 2004

One of the last true gentlemen left alive . ';,,,,,,,,;'

glyph posted:

Can you weigh in on the cruise control thing? I've never had a manual bmw before this, it strikes me as odd that it doesn't cancel when the clutch pedal hits the firewall.

I'm 99% certain my e82 manual cancels cruise control when I touch the clutch, I would assume something weird is going on if yours doesn't.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

it's irresponsible to buy a new ICE car anyway. i mean it's irresponsible to buy a new car no matter what but at least buy an EV

Meh. Went and drove a Mach e gt the other day and still not sold.

Need more options. Went back to the gas guzzlin Audi q8 and was much more comfortable and happier.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

FWIW I tested on the way home and fully depressed the clutch and no cruise control cancel, also shifted down to 5th and it stayed as well. So same behavior on my manual e91 N52

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

None of my manual cars have cancelled cruise control depressing the clutch, even right back to the 80s VWs I owned when I was slightly more stupid than now.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Nitr0 posted:

Meh. Went and drove a Mach e gt the other day and still not sold.

Need more options. Went back to the gas guzzlin Audi q8 and was much more comfortable and happier.

Q8's a more expensive car, I think

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
How are you supposed to shift up when accelerating if the clutch would cancel cruise control?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Cojawfee posted:

How are you supposed to shift up when accelerating if the clutch would cancel cruise control?

I only use it on the highway at cruising speed so no clue

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

Yeah totally not ready for this yet. I routinely have to drive from Boston to NY once a month during the late fall/winter to do family stuff and I have 0 interest in extending that trip 30 minutes for a charge stop. Some of the long range EVs can do it, but where I'm going there's almost no place to charge nearby so I better hope I don't need to go anywhere for 8 hours while I trickle charge off a 120v extension cord.

I could probably live with it for a Taycan but I'm not in the market for something that big/expensive.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Q8's a more expensive car, I think

I bought it used Jan 2020, 2019 model, black optics and sound upgrades, 6,000 km. $73,000.

This Ford GT is new but $90,000.

Then what are the alternatives? I’m never buying a Tesla again. Had a model 3 for 5 days before returning it due to fit and finish, software bugs, and general distaste of the company.

Porsche too expensive.

Drove the Hyundai iq and it was tastefully bland.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

did you know: Audi makes an EV if you like your Audi but want it as an EV

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

You hit the resume button at the tip of the stalk once you've upshifted?

I guess this is just a teething thing for me, I'll get used to it. It just caught me as odd that it could lead to the car accelerating without the driver intending it to. Perfect example of what I mean- I was on a two lane highway in a line of cars, the car in front of me went to turn on a side road while our road was going up a slight hill. I did what I usually would do in my other manual cars, and downshifted to slow down using the engine and hill in anticipation of accelerating back up to speed after the turning car clears out, while not closing my brake lamp circuit to avoid accordioning the 5 or so cars behind me. In the cars I've driven in the past, the CC would have cancelled with the clutch push, and I could then either accelerate, shift and reset the cruise or hit resume after the car cleared to accelerate, then shift then resume again once in cruising gear. This was different though- as soon as I got off the clutch for the downshift, the car, which had slowed from coasting and the hill decided it needed to accelerate back up to 55 right NOW, and because it was in a lower gear I found my self in a car trying to resume the set cruise speed barrelling at the increasingly large rear bumper of a slowing car. My brain was still in don't hit the brakes mode, and the accel caught me off guard so much I fumbled to find the stalk rather than hit the brakes. All in all, I could have done things differently, but I was surprised to have a slight panic moment out of something so seemingly innocuous and common.

Though this car is a 2006, which would put it before Toyota got dragged for unintended acceleration. Maybe that's why the e82 doesn't hold CC set through shifts?

I have, however, noticed that if you keep the clutch in longer than it would take for a normal shift, it does cancel, with the warning chime. The same one you hear for engine/trans malfunction, freezing temperatures, dead light bulbs, and low washer fluid. That loving chime.

E: /cruise chat from yours truly.

glyph fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jan 26, 2022

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

did you know: Audi makes an EV if you like your Audi but want it as an EV

poor range

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Nitr0 posted:

poor range

No, Audi's poor range is called VW. :confused:

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

KillHour posted:

No, Audi's poor range is called VW. :confused:

:iceburn:

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

Another BMW Thread success story!
I’m back!

There’s now a 2016 328i xdrive sedan also in my price range.

Looks like the f30 is a lot more reliable than the n20?

(Please talk me out of this)

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

th3t00t posted:

I’m back!

N20 is the engine, F30 is the chassis code. If you are looking at an F30 328i, it has the same N20 engine. 330i is when they switched to B48 engine as the baseline 4cyl

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

th3t00t posted:

I’m back!

why are you doing this to yourself, what do you want in a car?

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

Nitr0 posted:

I bought it used Jan 2020, 2019 model, black optics and sound upgrades, 6,000 km. $73,000.

This Ford GT is new but $90,000.

Then what are the alternatives? I’m never buying a Tesla again. Had a model 3 for 5 days before returning it due to fit and finish, software bugs, and general distaste of the company.

Porsche too expensive.

Drove the Hyundai iq and it was tastefully bland.

BMW makes electric cars now, if you didn't know

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

why are you doing this to yourself, what do you want in a car?
I used to drive a lot for my commute so I could justify to myself spending a decent amount on my ride. But now I work from home and can’t justify it to myself.

But I still love performance/luxury.

So to split the difference I’ve been looking at older used luxury brands. To try find something cheap that will last with me putting ultra low mileage on it.

Edit: and choices are very limited due to the shortage of used cars right now

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

th3t00t posted:

I used to drive a lot for my commute so I could justify to myself spending a decent amount on my ride. But now I work from home and can’t justify it to myself.

But I still love performance/luxury.

So to split the difference I’ve been looking at older used luxury brands. To try find something cheap that will last with me putting ultra low mileage on it.

Edit: and choices are very limited due to the shortage of used cars right now

this is not possible, unless you look at like Lexus

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

Lexus are almost as expensive to repair as the germans these days

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

EvilBlackRailgun posted:

Lexus are almost as expensive to repair as the germans these days

I still think they are in need of repair less often though was my thought

But yeah OP, do not buy an approaching 10 year old german luxury car and be thinking anything around the realm of “cheap” if you aren’t prepared for everything that entails it won’t be a fun experience.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

TheBacon posted:

this is not possible, unless you look at like Lexus

ya, agreed with this. buy a LS430.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

BlackMK4 posted:

ya, agreed with this. buy a LS430.
I’ve been looking at Lexus and Acura as well. Favorite car that I owned was a 2007 Acura TSX. I got it with 66k miles on it. Drove it for 7 years, drove it up to 175k miles with no issues, just breaks, tires, fluids and such as needed.

There’s a fully loaded 2013 Toyota Avalon that’s caught my attention…

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

performance avalon

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Carbon fiber bench seats in the front? Oh hell yeah

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Ether Frenzy posted:

Carbon fiber bench seats in the front? Oh hell yeah

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

performance avalon
was driving with my brother recently, visiting home from germany in the first time in a while. we were behind some kind of xxtreme racing camry trim (factory, mind you) and he was just like...why

e: this poo poo. lmfao

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jan 28, 2022

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

LC500h is the only option.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

have to say the LC500h looks fully sick despite missing a pedal

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
lol I bought my e91 a year ago for $7k.

I have spent at least $10k on parts that I've installed or parked in my garage and I can see a v clear path to another $10k this year...

this hobby owns.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

was driving with my brother recently, visiting home from germany in the first time in a while. we were behind some kind of xxtreme racing camry trim (factory, mind you) and he was just like...why

e: this poo poo. lmfao

trd avalon baybeee

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

th3t00t posted:

I’ve been looking at Lexus and Acura as well. Favorite car that I owned was a 2007 Acura TSX. I got it with 66k miles on it. Drove it for 7 years, drove it up to 175k miles with no issues, just breaks, tires, fluids and such as needed.

There’s a fully loaded 2013 Toyota Avalon that’s caught my attention…

If you would like a newer version of that TSX, buy a 2019+ Mazda 3

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

trd avalon baybeee
lol i assumed you were joking but decided to google this just in case

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

lol i assumed you were joking but decided to google this just in case

you are welcome

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Toyota's marketing department has clearly done their demographic research and determined that dudes who turned 11 the year The Fast & The Furious came out are all having their second child around now

User Error
Aug 31, 2006

Ether Frenzy posted:

Toyota's marketing department has clearly done their demographic research and determined that dudes who turned 11 the year The Fast & The Furious came out are all having their second child around now

Oh that's why I thiink XXXtreeem TRD Camrys are dumb, I was 14 when F&F came out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

User Error posted:

Oh that's why I thiink XXXtreeem TRD Camrys are dumb, I was 14 when F&F came out.

Idk I was 11 and I think they are dumb too lmao. Instead I’m making XXXtreeem M wagon. Obviously much better