Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

General Dog posted:

Mike Lindell, MyPresident

Don't you put that evil on me Ricky Bobby General Dog

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

hahaha, yay Big Papi

There's many parallels to the MLB HoF voting system and our electoral system if you think about it.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

LeeMajors posted:

Also the midterms are going to be an unconscionable bloodbath. I am morbidly curious how bad it will be.

Senate goes 55-45, GOP gets a 30 seat majority in the House, enough to lose a few kooks or single-issuers from any bill

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Joey caught a shark one time.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

GD_American posted:

Senate goes 55-45, GOP gets a 30 seat majority in the House, enough to lose a few kooks or single-issuers from any bill

Enough for permanent impeachment hearings.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

Play posted:

I'm a manchild so I've emancipated myself from the credit system. gently caress credit. I don't need it, I have money for everything I need and I will never have enough money to buy a house anyways so why should I be overly concerned with my score.

My wife and I aren't quite there yet, but I think it's a distinct possibility it'll happen in the next couple of years. I could probably accelerate it by selling our house, but I have no clue where we would move without just getting gouged again and taking on a bunch of new debt.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
It’s all I’ve ever wanted in life 😭

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Play posted:

I did not know you could have a dominant eye. or a submissive eye, for that matter

The brain is weird!

basically it takes one of your eyes and that's the important one, and then the other eye adds depth perception. You can discover which of your eyes is dominant with a simple test you can do right now!
https://www.allaboutvision.com/resources/dominant-eye-test.htm

quote:

I'm a manchild so I've emancipated myself from the credit system. gently caress credit. I don't need it, I have money for everything I need and I will never have enough money to buy a house anyways so why should I be overly concerned with my score.

You can buy a house with almost no money. I know it seems out of reach to a ton of Americans, and that's due to horrific systemic problems/capitalism/etc., but a lot of people essentially eliminate a small chance at home ownership (that they'd want) by adopting this "I can't ever do it so I won't even try" perspective. Very understandable, but if you have an income, someday you may live somewhere where you want a house, and having both a credit score and a modest amount of savings can get you there... potentially for less than you pay in rent, in the long term.

You might also one day get married to someone with more money or something :shrug: I don't know, is it impossible?

If you don't want to ever buy a house that's fine of course and I hope this post does not come off as pressure. I am also not trying to deny the reality that a big percentage of the country's population is effectively priced out of home ownership, either. That's real. But there's a fuzzy area at the margin where some folks think they're permanently priced out but they actually aren't, perhaps.

e. this goes for everyone, come stop by the home buyer/owner threads in BFC and read up a bit.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
Something like 10 years ago my credit score was around 600 since I used cash or debit for everything and for some lenders it was a massive red flag, even though I had never missed a payment for anything. I would recommend having some small credit card you use a little bit, just incase you need credit for anything in the future. Without really changing anything outside of putting 1-2 credit cards in my name, my credit is now close to the max and I pay off the balance immediately so I am not paying any interest. It does not really have any drawback, while finding yourself needing a good credit score for something and not having it could.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Lol at the idea that Americans have the income for “modest savings”.

Must of us are turbofucked, leper :(

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Silly Burrito posted:

Joey caught a shark one time.

:staredog:

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Seriously :(

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I know. I guess I still have some optimism for the future. I had a negative net worth and (at its max) $16k in credit card debt and $25k+ in student loan debt, in my early 30s. My wife had over $50k in student loan debt and no savings.

We bought a house at age 35, because both our circumstances and the housing market changed. I was very fortunate in that I earned more than my debt service, we didn't have any big disasters, and the housing market crashed in 2008. But if we'd had lousy credit, we could not have bought even then. By not having late payments, having jobs, etc. we switched from a $1650/mo rent to a $1500/mo mortgage, did the DIY approach to home repair to afford that, and lowered our cost of living a bit by moving off the peninsula and out to the east bay where e.g. food and stuff are a bit less expensive.

Everyone's situation is unique, and I know for some people, home ownership is just permanently not possible: but luck may bring you an opportunity, maybe in five or ten or twenty years, and if you can build decent credit you won't have that one thing serving as the only/final obstacle to getting what you aspire to. I know even just "not having late payments" can be impossible: I have family members right now who are in that situation (I send them money but they have to actually ask and they tend not to until things get bad and they're behind payments etc.). But maybe for some of you, building 700+ credit score over a couple of years is an option? If it is, I think you should consider doing it, to not lock that door shut before it possibly cracks open.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jan 26, 2022

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Qwijib0 posted:

4 hours in on my first sous vide bison chuck roast, never done a 24 hour before.

Hope it's as good as the book promised!

Trip report: it was amazing, very prime rib like. Might try 48 next time to see if more of the fat will melt.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

This is timely because I just learned my in-laws are $60k in debt and are probably underwater on their house too.

My MIL got laid off during the pandemic and is interviewing for jobs, but it’s not easy when you’re a 60 year old Puerto Rican woman. FIL is retired and gets a pension from working as a laborer, but no clue how much that is. He also drat near died a couple of times that last few years from MRSA and then a heart attack.

My wife is trying to figure out how to get them into a consolidated loan, but I’m sure their credit is awful. We could help them out, but family and money are an awful mix and I’m reluctant to do too much. Plus I can’t afford to lose $60k if they can’t pay me back.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Qwijib0 posted:

Trip report: it was amazing, very prime rib like. Might try 48 next time to see if more of the fat will melt.

Looks loving amazing.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Sometimes this state makes me proud

https://twitter.com/AlexMcDaniel/status/1486019763960786946

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Bird in a Blender posted:

This is timely because I just learned my in-laws are $60k in debt and are probably underwater on their house too.

My MIL got laid off during the pandemic and is interviewing for jobs, but it’s not easy when you’re a 60 year old Puerto Rican woman. FIL is retired and gets a pension from working as a laborer, but no clue how much that is. He also drat near died a couple of times that last few years from MRSA and then a heart attack.

My wife is trying to figure out how to get them into a consolidated loan, but I’m sure their credit is awful. We could help them out, but family and money are an awful mix and I’m reluctant to do too much. Plus I can’t afford to lose $60k if they can’t pay me back.

Something tangentially similar is going on with my mother. My sperm donor left behind a substantial retirement fund, and she basically started spending like a drunken sailor. First she moved from Morris, Illinois, to buy a gigantic house in Boise that was right next-door to her drunken-rear end sister, so they could get drunk together. Then she moved to Madison, Wisconsin, because she wanted to be closer to me and my now-ex-wife, thinking that my ex-wife would become her best friend and would visit every few days to play cards and whatnot. (My ex hated my mother.) She dumped $90,000 into renovating that Madison house, because she didn't like the cabinetry in the kitchen and wanted ground-floor laundry, so it had to be re-done to have a gas line up to the ground floor and she needed new machines. Then she realized that, no, my ex-wife and I were living our own lives and we weren't going to spend every waking free moment with her, so she sold the house--taking a $120,000 bath on it--and moved back to Boise, again close to her sister. She also buys cars compulsively.

I have limited power of attorney over her finances, so I put a lot of her remaining money into trusts and CD accounts so she couldn't piss anymore away, but that means she now lives on Social Security survivor benefits and some limited income she gets from doing bookkeeping (really poorly) for the machinery company my sperm donor used to be a partner in after he left the banking industry. So as a result, it feels like every other month, she asks me for $5,000 or so, and I'm like, Ma, I just spent 20 months unemployed and I have extreme levels of debt to pay down and I'm still on Medicaid and food stamps, and you know this; do you think I have spending money outside of occasionally buying a cheeseburger?

But she has growing signs of dementia and will be 72 this year. So that's a whole other can of worms I'm going to have to deal with.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I made raw pizza's while in the conservation corps out of pita bread so I think this is fine; I do actually need to try Beto's

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Relentless boredom :clap:
Run for :clap:
Office :clap:

Florida needs u
god no

Florida needs napalm and Maoism to even begin to cleanse the filth

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

LeeMajors posted:

Florida will never go blue again because it’s spent a half century or more concentrating the worst people in the country into a meth and cocaine infused hot box.

Change that timeline to “the past decade” and you can simply say “Californians, Texans and NorthEasterners”

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
The new episode of Knowledge Fight is about Alex Jones' Sandy Hook depositions & if you wanna listen to that worm squirm when someone won't slurp up his bullshit and he can't just yell at them, it's a good listen.

It turns out the host has been consulting with the attorney on the case, too. Dan from KF is probably the Alex Jones expert, and he went day-by-day after Sandy Hook to document everything for the podcast so even if you don't listen, you can rest assured the families have plenty of nails to nail Jones to the wall

https://knowledgefight.libsyn.com/641-formulaic-objections-part-4

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

And when Florida finally gets the big one, all those poo poo head voters will flee to dry states and take their hideous policies with them.

Like a lysed tumor.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Amy Pole Her posted:

Change that timeline to “the past decade” and you can simply say “Californians, Texans and NorthEasterners”

Well Texas has also been doing that with the worst California transplants, but they had a much worse base.

Y’all really have been subject to mass immigration of lead poisoned boomers though, and it’s been ongoing for my entire life.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I feel bad for anyone under like 50 living in Florida. Your whole state has been captured by conservative retirees who absolutely do not care what happens to younger people in the state. Florida is 41st in education spending per pupil.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

I feel bad for anyone under like 50 living in Florida. Your whole state has been captured by conservative retirees who absolutely do not care what happens to younger people in the state. Florida is 41st in education spending per pupil.

This is also arizona, the "I already paid my school taxes back home" is a popular sentiment here too.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

My state is like a mini-Florida, but less diverse and with less colorfully insane leadership. Just bog standard bible beating dullards, same lovely results. We even get our share of insane snowbirds who are fine letting the state crumble outside of their enclaves!

It’s awful.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

I’m 31, born and lived in South Florida my whole life, and it’s depressing as all hell. My whole education got hosed up by standardized test loop holes and barring another massive collapse of housing prices, I’ll probably never be able to afford a house or apartment in a decent area on my own even if I stumble onto a job that magically pays me like 50% more than what I’m making now (Which is okay but not great pay wise).

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Qwijib0 posted:

This is also arizona, the "I already paid my school taxes back home" is a popular sentiment here too.

I could tell. My cousin's from a rural town in northern Arizona and his school was just atrocious. Like six times three is 24, or people in the graduating class getting a diploma they couldn't read. I reckon the entire state's like that, except for Scottsdale.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

I got jarred awake by one of those terrifying emergency alert alarms on my phone at like 3:30 for some guy running around “armed and dangerous” vaguely near me, his description mentioned “skinny build, in a t-shirt, no coat”

It’s like -14 he was probably a block of ice three minutes after waking me up, gently caress outta here with that poo poo

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Look these retirees already paid their dues! Their kids are grown up! Why should they have to pay for schools?

*dies immediately in nursing home from unintentional overdose when an 18yo CNA fucks up their med count*

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
Arizona also has its own version of a "debt ceiling" -- a constitutional edu spending cap from 40 years ago -- used as hostage taking for school funding which gets hit earlier and earlier in the school year as things get more expensive leading to poo poo like this

quote:

schools face another looming crisis in the form of an ill-advised education spending cap in the state Constitution. Lawmakers need only take a vote to save schools from a $1.2 billion cut. It costs nothing — the money is already allocated and budgeted for, schools just can’t legally spend it.

If lawmakers don’t lift the cap, Arizona schools will see a 16% drop in state funding. That’s not something you fix by skimping on tissues and textbooks — we’re talking slashing budgets, laying off teachers and closing schools.

But Republican leadership at the state Capitol is using the cap as a hostage to negotiate with in court over Proposition 208, the Invest in Education Act. Not a single Republican has introduced legislation to lift the cap, and House Speaker Rusty Bowers and Senate President Karen Fann haven’t even assigned the Democratic bills lifting the cap to committees.

Prop 208 is a 3.5% surcharge on any income earned above $250,000 for single filers, or $500,000 for married couples filing jointly. The surcharge was estimated to raise $827 million a year, effective with the filing of 2021 taxes. Most of the money was targeted for teacher salaries.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Qwijib0 posted:

yea when I was a kid in FL I used to hear the olds say this poo poo a lot. that and “well my grandkid doesn’t go to school here so why should I pay for school taxes “

hard to believe in the system when you’re told repeatedly as a child that you don’t matter bc you’re in the wrong state

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
On the Florida topic, let's not forget how the voters approved the ending of felony disenfranchisement and state legislature just said "Naw" and reinstated it

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

The Glumslinger posted:

On the Florida topic, let's not forget how the voters approved the ending of felony disenfranchisement and state legislature just said "Naw" and reinstated it

But they have to pay their fines first! How much do they owe? The gently caress do you expect us to know that we’re just the state that’s fining them.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Guys don’t worry now that Nancy Pelosi moved to florida and is one of the people surely she will see what truly affects people here in America’s mexico…

Oh wait she’s living in a 25 million dollar Oceanside mansion lmao who voted these people in

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

Amy Pole Her posted:

Guys don’t worry now that Nancy Pelosi moved to florida and is one of the people surely she will see what truly affects people here in America’s mexico…

Oh wait she’s living in a 25 million dollar Oceanside mansion lmao who voted these people in

She reneged on her current term being her last and is running again!

But yeah, that’s the real problem. There really isn’t as much room between the two parties nationally as people think on core policy.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
https://twitter.com/CNBCnow/status/1486382329450930180

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

awesome, now we get to see Manchin and Sinema refuse to confirm a new justice, then McConnell blocks it until Trump wins again.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Can’t wait to see the new and exciting ways biden disappoints us

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

I mean, it’s not like I anticipate the senate getting better any time soon, better than going full RBG, but still woo boy I’m not going to enjoy watching this play out