Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
Adding to the Spain: I really like Madrid and find Barcelona to be the most overrated city in Europe. I'd probably like it if it wasn't so massively overhyped, like Prague.

Anyway for T&T stuff: I'm going to do a trip with 3 guy friends in late March to Valencia. We have 16 days to get from Valencia to Rome for their flight out and would probably stay in 3 or 4 spots. We'd probably spend like 5 days in Valencia, but we're trying to figure out what to do in Valencia before setting up where to go. Anyway, has anyone spent much time there and have any particular tips for people who like:

• Outdoors stuff (esp. hiking and/or with excellent views - we have a very good level of fitness. Also into most watersports but highly doubt in that season and it's not like there's surfing anyway, and biking, but only if using dedicated lanes or in the Netherlands - so probably no dice in/near Valencia).
• Nice dining (particularly unusual regional cuisine or unique modern cooking, don't care so much about 'best paella' or tortilla de patata unless they're really mindblowing)
• Unusual bars (either good view, or weird/neat setting like a speakeasy, we drink but don't care so much about the actual alcohol price, quality, or mixology)
• Interactive museums (e.g. science museums, for the rare ones that aren't focused on kids like aged 3-6)
• Architecture (hypermodern like City of Arts and Sciences, traditional, countryside, whatever... actually I pretty much like all types of buildings, not sure about them)
• Super upmarket grocery stores selling unusual and high quality (and inevitably overpriced) foods (e.g. Eataly)
• Heights. Anything with heights, whether outdoor climbing, driving to some visa, taking an elevator, whatever. We all climb but we're all flying in so don't plan on bringing any gear, except maybe climbing shoes for really light bouldering. I don't think anyone cares about indoor climbing walls.
• Sick AirBnBs (we're all childhood friends and 2 br/2 queens would be fine. Budget not really an issue, at least not up to €400/night or so, which I imagine should get a pretty sweet place in offseason in Valencia)
Potentially day trips in < ~90 min drive each way. Public transit preferred but renting a car for a few days not an issue at all either.
• Urbexing, ideally legal locations but depending on the situation we're fine with trespassing on abandoned property if the "trespassing" issue is theoretical and not actually enforced, like The Egg in Beirut or whatever.

I know a lot of this stuff I can just find looking around -- looks like Valencia has a lot of unusual hypermodern architecture for example, and I can just look at Guide Michelin and TripAdvisor for restaurants and AirBnB highlights dope apartments pretty well - but some things are a little harder to find like good hikes, interesting bars, viewpoints, and good urbexing spots. Spain's TripAdvisor forum seems to be dominated by retirees and alcoholic Brits (with significant overlap), and I hate Reddit like the plague, so the only other thing I've found are various blogs, but they usually seem to be written by travel bloggers who spent like one week in the area and wrote what they did. I've seen a lot of Spain Chat in this thread but not much on Valencia.

At least, all assuming travel from the US doesn't get shut down – but based on reactions so far to Omicron, it looks like most EU countries have finally thrown in the towel for travel restrictions against COVID.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

Saladman posted:

• Nice dining (particularly unusual regional cuisine or unique modern cooking, don't care so much about 'best paella' or tortilla de patata unless they're really mindblowing)
Try to find the original version of paella around Valencia, which is made with rabbit and snails!

Otherwise I haven't been to Valencia, closest I got was the Ebre delta which is already out of that 90 minute daytripping range. Might still be worth a look though - it's a pretty cool place, there is good paella around with the rice that they grow there, and you can go rafting on the river.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Are you going for fallas? It usually ends March 19 I think. It's unreal, absolutely change the dates of your trip worthy. Especially if you like explosives.

Besides that, I've spent some time in Valencia but I'm not sure I can check anything off your list. My favorite restaurant is an Argentine place in Russafa, Asador San Telmo. That's a cool neighborhood too.

Whenever locals take me somewhere it's usually a completely generic, where the neighborhood goes when they're not working type place. Which is great but not exactly worth a recommendation.

I'm scanning the map though and trying to remember anywhere else memorable we've been. But seriously, go for fallas and forget about the rest, all the action is on the street.

Edit: no need to "try to find" Valencian paella, everywhere that has paella has it. I'm sure several people have brought me to "the best paella" but I don't remember any of them. A hidden local place is just as good imo.

SurgicalOntologist fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jan 17, 2022

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
We're getting in on the 26th, dates not changeable. I did know about Fallas, but I don't think I'd adjust a trip in the hopes of doing anything festival-related this year. I see the Fallas festival was cancelled in 2020, and in 2021 they did Fallas in September 2021. Who knows when / if / what 2022 will hold but I'm not ultra optimistic. I guess I'll see like one week beforehand if I do anything for carnival this year, kind of like how Christmas markets were really hit (France, mostly) or miss (Germany, almost entirely).

While looking for nice or interesting AirBnBs, I found a BDSM sex dungeon, lol: https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/278231...KHK3dv&guests=1

If we were like 10 years younger maybe it would be a great place to rent, try to pick up Spanish chicks, and then re-enact Hostel.

E: Wow, the Wikivoyage page for Valencia is crazy detailed... like more detail than any other city overview that I've seen: https://en.wikivoyage.org/wiki/Valencia

Saladman fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jan 17, 2022

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

If you could spend four days in one of the following cities, which would you pick?

- Vienna
- Rome
- Stockholm
- Munich
- Amsterdam
- Prague
- Dubrovnik

This would be two adults, relatively experience travelers, in late September

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
Dubrovnik is too small for four days so only consider it if you're willing to travel around the area.

As for the rest, hard to say without knowing your interests, but Rome is a league on its own. I can't imagine picking Munich over Rome unless you're a huge fan of Bayern Munich or BMW cars.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Doctor Malaver posted:

Dubrovnik is too small for four days so only consider it if you're willing to travel around the area.

As for the rest, hard to say without knowing your interests, but Rome is a league on its own. I can't imagine picking Munich over Rome unless you're a huge fan of Bayern Munich or BMW cars.

Interesting, I figured four days would barely be enough, good to know. We're pretty typical; like to check out museums and other sites, explore neighborhoods, go up in tall buildings, eat and drink great food and cocktails/beer/wine. My favorite city in Europe is London; not sure if that makes me boring, or if I've just not been in enough places. My main hesitancy with Rome was that my wife was there in 2019 taking her mom on a bucket list trip. She'd obviously love to go back and take me, since her mom is getting up there in age which limited some options. All of the others are places either neither of us have ever been, or I was there when I was a little kid.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Omne posted:

If you could spend four days in one of the following cities, which would you pick?

- Vienna
- Rome
- Stockholm
- Munich
- Amsterdam
- Prague
- Dubrovnik

This would be two adults, relatively experience travelers, in late September

Vienna, Rome, Amsterdam or Prague, depending on what you're interested in and what you've seen more of in the past.

Vienna is great for cultural tourism like museums, concerts etc. Don't miss the Schoenbrunn Palace, the dance performances there are expensive but pretty good.

Rome has so much crazy stuff to see, like you can easily do a day exploring ancient Rome (Colosseum, Forum, Pantheon), another day exploring Renaissance Rome like the Trevi Fountain, Spanish steps etc, and another day in the Vatican (the archive & museum is excellent). If you like ancient ruins, Ostia Antica is Rome's old harbour outside the city, it's accessible via metro and hardly any tourists go there. You can also reach Hadrian's "villa" (really more of an imperial city) in a long day trip.

Amsterdam is great for just cruising around, enjoying the canals and the ambience. If you're into museums, go to the Rijksmuseum first thing in the morning before the tour groups, and prebook tickets for the Van Gogh museum as most people don't and the lines are insane. Obviously the Netherlands are quite small and you can do day trips out into the countryside pretty easily, or even nearby cities like Rotterdam.

Prague is a cheaper destination than the others if that's important. The castle is cool, along with the main square and cathedrals. The architecture here is also quite different too. I heard the Charles Bridge is going to close for a ridiculous amount of time (like 10+ years or something) for repairs and restorations, so if you're super keen on seeing that maybe Prague is a good option.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Honestly I wouldn't do Rome if I only had four days. You'll leave thinking you missed so many things and yeah, you will have. I'd come back when you have longer. I spent two weeks in Rome about ten years ago and I still want to go back.

Out of that list, I'd probably do Prague or Amsterdam. Dubrovnik if you're willing to drive a car and do day trips, but if you're just staying in Dubrovnik itself then yeah, it's too long.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I'll just add that if you decide to do day trips out of Amsterdam, a car isn't really necessary unless you're planning to go to very rural areas. There's trains leaving to all major destinations within the country every 10 minutes or so.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I'm going to Naples for this weekend, does it make sense or rent a car there? Not for the city itself as much as the stuff around like the volcano, coastal villages and what not.

My experience from Sicily is that public transport isn't great but no idea about this area.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jan 26, 2022

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Thanks for all the input; the fates have decided we're going to Rome. We know we won't see even a portion of everything, but if we wait until we have more time, it could be years.

Now, where to stay? One recommendation was near Campo de' Fiori (particularly the Boutique Hotel Campo de' Fiori), but I've also heard that that area can be party central at night. Since we're short on time we'd like to be pretty close to the main stuff, so definitely open. Bonus points if I can use Marriott/Hilton/Hyatt points

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I stayed in a place right next to the Vatican and it was very cheap, safe, and close to everything. It was frankly incredible. You might spring for something a touch nicer, I have no idea what your budget is.

https://www.priceline.com/relax/at/...57e06391f5adfef

Our friends stayed across the street in a more expensive, nicer one. These are called hotels but they're just rooms with private entrances. The room was nothing to write home about but they provided fresh breakfast every morning and the walkability was amazing. Highly suggest this area.

Also eat at Sorpasso

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

mobby_6kl posted:

I'm going to Naples for this weekend, does it make sense or rent a car there? Not for the city itself as much as the stuff around like the volcano, coastal villages and what not.

My experience from Sicily is that public transport isn't great but no idea about this area.

Depends what you’re doing really. If you’re just going to the Amalfi Coast and Pompeii then I’d say no, but further afield it might be worth it.

Make sure if you do rent a car, pick it up from the airport. You can basically turn directly onto the freeway from there and avoid the nightmare that is Neapolitan streets. We did grab a car, but we were going much further afield to Campania and Puglia.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

mobby_6kl posted:

You probably don't need a car if you're just there for a weekend. The downtown core is walkable and the train runs to the Herculaneum and Pompeii. Amalfi may be hit or miss so you should research where exactly you want to go.

If you can drive in Italy, then you can probably drive in Naples, but it is a nightmare to do so and is substantial worse than pretty much anywhere else in the country. I'd try to avoid driving in the city if you can as a car shouldn't be necessary anyway.

Go to the Museo Cappella Sansevero. The sculptures there are unreal.

asur fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jan 27, 2022

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Omne posted:

Thanks for all the input; the fates have decided we're going to Rome. We know we won't see even a portion of everything, but if we wait until we have more time, it could be years.

Now, where to stay? One recommendation was near Campo de' Fiori (particularly the Boutique Hotel Campo de' Fiori), but I've also heard that that area can be party central at night. Since we're short on time we'd like to be pretty close to the main stuff, so definitely open. Bonus points if I can use Marriott/Hilton/Hyatt points

I would have voted Rome on your initial list - yeah your wife has been there and four days isn’t nearly enough, but that means she also hasn’t even seen all the top sights there unless she spent 2+ weeks when with her mom.

For where to stay: anywhere in the medieval city is good, including where you looked, piazza navonna, pantheon…

I wouldn’t worry about party central too much, any modern place will have A/C so if it’s loud you can just close the windows and if it’s loud and hot you can turn on the AC—unless you’re in a place with windows like directly facing a bar street. I didn’t look at the hotel.

For the other person for Naples; I wouldn’t rent a car for a short period. Public transport to Pompeii and Ercolano is good. The trains to the north Amalfi coast ("Sorrentine Peninsula" is apparently the correct term ) are good or you can take a boat. The southern Amalfi coast is realistically only accessible on a daytrip by car but tbh you could spend 5 days in Naples and not have enough time for the city and immediate suburbs, and if you find you do have too much time you can just go to Ischia or something by ferry, where you wouldn’t want a car anyway.

Naples has the worst and most chaotic driving in Italy-and by that meaning most of the world-but it’s only a horrifying mess in the downtown area, and outside it’s just kind of normal south-of-Apennine-Italy type traffic chaos. Not sure how the ZTLs are in Naples but probably also significant.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Jan 27, 2022

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Thanks everyone! The cars are cheap enough that I was considering getting one just in case but when I saw the street we're staying on... nope, not parking there lol.

Any particularly good places for pizza? I've been informed that pizza in Bari and Sicily isn't the real deal so I want to see what's up.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

We went to this place and it was outstanding:
https://goo.gl/maps/JEaNnyrU2JV3pyzC8

It was called Pizzeria Sorbillo and looks to have a different name now, but that’s the same address and it looks pretty similar. I was there in early 2018 mind.

The fewer toppings, the better, and typically you’ll be given a knife & fork to eat since it’s usually unsliced.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

kiimo posted:

I stayed in a place right next to the Vatican and it was very cheap, safe, and close to everything. It was frankly incredible. You might spring for something a touch nicer, I have no idea what your budget is.

https://www.priceline.com/relax/at/...57e06391f5adfef

Our friends stayed across the street in a more expensive, nicer one. These are called hotels but they're just rooms with private entrances. The room was nothing to write home about but they provided fresh breakfast every morning and the walkability was amazing. Highly suggest this area.

Also eat at Sorpasso

Here's the place across the street:

Star Vatican Rooms
Via Catone 29, Rome, RM, 00192 Italy

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
Anyone ever hike Alta Via 1 or 2? Considering trying to make a trip late Summer.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

So, as you know, many countries in the EU require any indoors places (restaurants, museums, cinemas, ...) to check if any visitors have a proof of vaccination or something.

For EU citizens this is generally handled through signed QR codes we can load into a phone app and the restaurant staff can scan that with a special scanning app.

It's been very unclear how this is supposed to work for non-EU citizens. I think in many places they accept some other type of proof but places randomly might not do so.

Well, the Netherlands just stated that they're planning to install desks at the central stations of the four largest cities where non-EU citizens can get a QR code with a validity of 2 weeks if they show a valid proof of vaccination from their country of origin.

I have no idea what this means, if this is gonna be required in the Netherlands, what other EU countries are gonna do with this etc etc.

If you travel from outside the EU check the specific rules of the countries you'll be visiting ahead of time.

E: typo

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jan 30, 2022

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

webmeister posted:

We went to this place and it was outstanding:
https://goo.gl/maps/JEaNnyrU2JV3pyzC8

It was called Pizzeria Sorbillo and looks to have a different name now, but that’s the same address and it looks pretty similar. I was there in early 2018 mind.

The fewer toppings, the better, and typically you’ll be given a knife & fork to eat since it’s usually unsliced.
Great, thanks! First night we got takeout from a popular place nearby called Concettina ai Tre Santi but I'd want to try it out today.

Any idea what's up with these leather jackets sold on the streets?

Feel like the real thing on first touch but even if they're fake and only last a season that's still ridiculously cheap. And I don't see how it could be just a scam since they're selling it out of shops.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Carbon dioxide posted:

So, as you know, many countries in the EU require any indoors places (restaurants, museums, cinemas, ...) to check if any visitors have a proof of vaccination or something.

For EU citizens this is generally handled through signed QR codes we can load into a phone app and the restaurant staff can scan that with a special scanning app.

It's been very unclear how this is supposed to work for non-EU citizens. I think in many places they accept some other type of proof but places randomly might not do so.

Well, the Netherlands just stated that they're planning to install desks at the central stations of the four largest cities where non-EU citizens can get a QR code with a validity of 2 weeks if they show a valid poor of vaccination from their country of origin.

I have no idea what this means, if this is gonna be required in the Netherlands, what other EU countries are gonna do with this etc etc.

If you travel from outside the EU check the specific rules of the countries you'll be visiting ahead of time.

On the ground it’s an absolute shitshow of inconsistency. My parents have been all over Germany and France this year with 2 week trips in July, Nov, and Jan and their CDC card was accepted without fail, when it was checked at all - some places often (Paris) others never (Marseille). My personal experience traveling around the past few months has ranged from e.g. Zeeland and the Belgian coast, with about a 1/10 chance of a restaurant checking your QR code, while places like Paris were more like 80% chance of getting checked. Long distance trains in France also exclusively check the QR code in Paris stations - nowhere else in the country do they appear to check your QR code to board a TGV in my reasonably extensive experience the past few months. E: officially the CDC card is only accepted at ports of entry in France and officially you need a QR
code to go into a restaurant or whatever. In practice this appears to be one of those theoretical laws that is applied about as often as getting struck by lightning (yeah it happens, but not super likely).

And now it’s even worse with different countries considering vaccination differently. Like J&J followed by Moderna is fully Vaxxed in every EU+ country… except not Germany, where such a vaccination schedule sends you into a catch 22 hell where you’re not considered fully vaccinated but you’re not eligible for a follow up vaccination for up to 6 more months. My Germany neighbor is hosed by that rule. At least the EU is maybe standardizing how long a vaccination is even valid, before it ranged from 4 months (Switzerland) to 12 months (Belgium). I think it’s supposed to be 9 months everywhere from Feb 1, but that might only be for 2G and not 2G+?

Anyway the whole vaccine pass thing is a Kafka-esque bureaucratic nightmare of rules that vary hugely on paper depending on of you move a few km in any direction, and which vary even more in terms of enforcement and if they’re real rules or theoretical ones.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jan 30, 2022

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

Saladman posted:

I think it’s supposed to be 9 months everywhere from Feb 1, but that might only be for 2G and not 2G+?

Only for the purposes of international travel, so for actually doing anything once you are there, you'll still have the same (usually stricter) rules which differ everywhere as before!

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Entropist posted:

Only for the purposes of international travel, so for actually doing anything once you are there, you'll still have the same (usually stricter) rules which differ everywhere as before!

I was in Germany today and everywhere (restaurants/museums) checked my vaccine pass, but none of them actually scanned it... meaning I could have just printed out any sheet of paper and changed the stuff in Adobe Acrobat. In France people either scan the QR code (most museums), or don't look at it at all (most food service places outside Paris). ID checking is incredibly sporadic, I've had my ID checked maybe 7 times the last 7 months.

I went to a bar before being boostered and the guy scanned the pass and checked my ID and said like "you need a booster" and I said "yeah, ok" but he let me in anyway. I can't imagine how awful it must be to work in a bar right now.

It also took me 4 weeks from when I scheduled my booster appointment to when I was able to get my appointment, and I took the first available date. The whole system is so confusing, incoherent, and largely unrelated to like, actual epidemiology. Like why is a booster required to go to an art museum in Germany anyway? You're masked up, no one is talking, and incredibly dispersed in an area that has good airflow and humidity maintenance.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Saladman posted:

Like why is a booster required to go to an art museum in Germany anyway? You're masked up, no one is talking, and incredibly dispersed in an area that has good airflow and humidity maintenance.

Governments are taking every excuse of getting people to accept the boosters short of making it completely mandatory (because that would backfire). And since every percent of the population that get boostered reduces the number of hospitalizations significantly, and a couple percent of the population is convinced by "I don't really believe in the vaccine but it would be annoying if I can't go to the restaurant", they will keep doing this.

Some governments admit that outright, others are kinda beating around the bush about it but every single vaccine-related regulation is about getting more people vaccinated.

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

WARNING:I AM A FASCIST PIECE OF SHIT.
Police beatings get me hard

Elysium posted:

Anyone ever hike Alta Via 1 or 2? Considering trying to make a trip late Summer.

I've done 2 and parts of 1. What do you want to know?

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

Rojkir posted:

I've done 2 and parts of 1. What do you want to know?

Like anything about planning it. how early to book, transportation, which huts are are good, estimated cost, what kind of pack to bring, supplies, what the covid situation is like, etc.

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

Elysium posted:

Like anything about planning it. how early to book, transportation, which huts are are good, estimated cost, what kind of pack to bring, supplies, what the covid situation is like, etc.

A lot of these questions are pretty basic and general, have you done a multi-day hike before? You should probably consider buying a guidebook. I've used this one: https://www.cicerone.co.uk/trekking-in-the-dolomites-fourth, but there's also https://www.amazon.nl/Mccluggage-Trekking-Dolomites-Andrew-McCluggage/dp/191293308X and a usefull facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/DolomitesAV1/?multi_permalinks=978916463061054

General advice would be to start planning and booking now, but if you're alone you can start later. Especially if you feel confident enough to adjust plans when a hut is full. Weekends are very busy in the huts, so mind that. I found the AV1 (the part that I did went north from Belluno to Averau where I left the route to get back to the AV2 start) to be beautiful but way more boring than the AV2 or the AV1 variant that I walked. The AV1 is busier and the path is wider at most places. The AV2 contains more difficult parts that make it feel more exciting for me, but I have more multi-day alpine hikes under my belt. I only actively disliked one hut on the AV2 which was Puez, the rest was fine. Covid: Who knows. Packs and supplies: read and google some more, you'll figure this out for yourself, it's a personal preference.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Check out Kraig Adams on YouTube, his videos are mostly silent hiking videos but he does provide guidance, often at the end of the main video or on his other channel. He did Alta Via 2 earlier this year.

https://youtu.be/WKcnvPDgifA

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

Kraig Adams' video's are always great but this time he quit halfway at Passo Valles, which is before al the really scary and exciting bits happen. Thereby also missing some of the most beautiful parts...
edit: This video was really helpfull in helping me plan, the video linked is an overview, but he has a sub video for each day. Helped me assess what distances were possible each day, how difficult it would be and if I needed a Via Ferrata kit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkAzXZe-Hbg

edit 2: Good to note that in the craziest parts of this video he is off the most commenly used hiking route and walking the Marmolata variant.

Rojkir fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Jan 31, 2022

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Has anyone traveled around the south of Italy? If so, any recommendations for a one week long trip in the south of Italy? Flying in and out of Naples and considering staying there for a few days, and then renting a car and exploring the south there.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

Busy Bee posted:

Has anyone traveled around the south of Italy? If so, any recommendations for a one week long trip in the south of Italy? Flying in and out of Naples and considering staying there for a few days, and then renting a car and exploring the south there.

Haven't been there, but one week is just enough for Naples, Pompeii and the Amalfi coast I'd say.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

There's a few cool spots down there that don't see a lot of tourism! In Matera, there's the ancient Sassi cliff dwellings which are fascinating and unusual, and really give you a strong impression of what ancient cave homes must have been like. If you've seen the latest James Bond film, the opening sequences were shot here, and it's often stood in for ancient Jerusalem as well in a bunch of religious movies (including Passion of the Christ).

Still on the unusual houses bent, the town of Alberobello is packed with what's known as trulli houses - square stone dwellings with unusual conical roof shapes.

If you're into ancient Greek ruins, check out the temples at Paestum (near the coast, south of Naples) which are just as well preserved as anything in Greece (if not better, to be honest).

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

So my partner and I are in a very common situation now where we "totally thought" we'd be beyond Covid at this point and yet....we clearly aren't. We have a booked flight for Amsterdam to land on March 17th, and is there anything in the new guidance that clarifies what we should expect? Her and I are both boostered and have our paper document, and Netherlands will clearly let us in, but...is there anything about what the gently caress we do regarding the EU QR code and what not? I cannot possible explain how badly we both need this trip. Like, I'll kill a man, and everyone he's ever known. JUST TO LEAVE THE STATES. But only if we can, like, eat and drink places.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

MEIN RAVEN posted:

So my partner and I are in a very common situation now where we "totally thought" we'd be beyond Covid at this point and yet....we clearly aren't. We have a booked flight for Amsterdam to land on March 17th, and is there anything in the new guidance that clarifies what we should expect? Her and I are both boostered and have our paper document, and Netherlands will clearly let us in, but...is there anything about what the gently caress we do regarding the EU QR code and what not? I cannot possible explain how badly we both need this trip. Like, I'll kill a man, and everyone he's ever known. JUST TO LEAVE THE STATES. But only if we can, like, eat and drink places.

Some websites to keep an eye on, in case something changes:
https://www.government.nl/topics/coronavirus-covid-19/visiting-the-netherlands-from-abroad/checklist-entry/from-outside-the-eu
https://reizentijdenscorona.rijksoverheid.nl/en/advies?tot=2022-03-17&bestemming=verenigde-staten-van-amerika&vervoersmiddel=vliegtuig
https://reopen.europa.eu/en/

Since you have boostered, this means that even though USA is listed as a high-risk area, you can enter the Netherlands as long as you also bring proof of a recent negative covid test (specific requirements).

Within the country, right now, most things in the Netherlands are open - the main rules are that places of entertainment (such as pubs and clubs) need to close at 10 pm, that you are required to wear a mask in indoors public places (except when sitting down in a restaurant) and be able to show your proof of vaccination.

It is similar in most surrounding countries.

Now, omicron is still causing a crapload of infections, more than ever. But the amount of hospitalizations stays way behind which is why the government decided to loosen the rules so much. The Dutch government tends to reevaluate the rules every couple weeks or so, and honestly unless the hospitalizations suddenly skyrocket I think it's unlikely they close stuff down again, simply because they're unable to ignore the pleas of business owners anymore.

As for the QR code - your printed proof of vaccination should really be accepted by (almost) all places. It is legal for them to accept that and they'd rather do business than not so I don't expect much trouble there.

If not, well, apparently they're setting up a stand at Amsterdam Central Station where they give you a temporary QR code (2 week validity) if you show your proof of vaccination so you can always go get that. If you do end up getting a QR code, note that Dutch citizens got two: one that is only valid in the Netherlands, and one that's valid everywhere in Schengen (including the Netherlands). I'm not sure which one the temporary will be. If it's the Netherlands-only one make sure to bring your paper proof if you decide to take a trip to a neighbouring country.

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Feb 3, 2022

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
Yeah I think Eurotrips should be pretty much fine again as of around now; NL just reopened last week, but they were pretty much the only European country that closed down in the last 6 months (Austria also closed, but only for like 2-3 weeks in Nov/Dec).

Switzerland just announced that they're going to start phasing everything out starting like.. 17 Feb? So unless we get variant zeta in the next 7 weeks I think you're good to go.

Carbon dioxide posted:

If you do end up getting a QR code, note that Dutch citizens got two: one that is only valid in the Netherlands, and one that's valid everywhere in Schengen (including the Netherlands). I'm not sure which one the temporary will be. If it's the Netherlands-only one make sure to bring your paper proof if you decide to take a trip to a neighbouring country.

That's an... incredibly confusing system. I can't imagine anyone ever mixes theirs up!

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
I've got a week in April to get from Zürich to Copenhagen by train and go wherever in between. No car, but I'd like to get some small towns & hiking in there. Right now my only idea is Besancon because I love Stendhal's Red & Black which is set there, interested in any suggestions.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Saladman posted:

That's an... incredibly confusing system. I can't imagine anyone ever mixes theirs up!

In the Dutch app it's clear enough, you can just choose to show either Netherlands or intl. QR code. I believe the only real difference is the Dutch code contains somewhat less personal identifiable information, because the Dutch government figured there's too much privacy-sensitive data in the EU code which no-one who needs to scan the code would ever need to see. They still also make the EU QR code available because otherwise travel would be kinda impossible, and vice versa, the Dutch scanning app should just be able to scan the EU QR code, so visitors don't run into any problems here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

Who knows where we are on March 17th... I agree the political will to go into restriction again isn't there at the moment, but a few very sick children can change that quite quickly. You should probably ask again a closer in advance. Worst case you book a flight or take a train away from Amsterdam to some other major city where we didn't gently caress up so bad.