Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grei Skuring
Sep 12, 2011

:norway::thumbsup:
Asimov ramped up the titties in the later (and somewhat less elegant) foundation books, AFAIK. Weird faacist ice planet titties and literal mother earth banging an old scientist dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Grei Skuring posted:

Asimov ramped up the titties in the later (and somewhat less elegant) foundation books, AFAIK. Weird faacist ice planet titties and literal mother earth banging an old scientist dude.

This sounds profoundly unappealing

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

skasion posted:

Also any discussion of crazy 20th c SFF authors would be incomplete without Cordwainer Smith, who was apparently perfectly nice personally but also a batshit insane propaganda master for the nationalist chinese

His godfather was Sun Yat Sen, cut the guy a break. During the Korean War he was writing propaganda leaflets that had phrases that sounded like "Duty, honor, country" in Chinese, but "Don't shoot" in English. Anybody who can do that kind of linguistic trickery is bound to be a little unusual.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Grei Skuring posted:

sounds hot

Zohn
Jul 21, 2006

Trust me, pinko, you ain't half he-man enough for Mickey Spillane's Rye Whisky.

Grimey Drawer
Arthur C. Clarke was essentially exiled to Sri Lanka for being a pedophile. There was a blind item in Vice years back about how it was open knowledge in his neighborhood to keep the kids away from the old famous English ex-pat.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Caveats and all, The Stars My Destination is about as perfect as golden age sci-fi lit gets.

I dunno, there are plenty of golden age SF novels that are both good and don't have rapist protagonists. James H. Schmitz even had — gasp! — :females: as lead characters.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

please at least tell me that Ursula K LeGuin is not a poo poo human being

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

More Than Human is a bangin piece of literature

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Grei Skuring posted:

Is that where Rick and Morty got their idea

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

kalel posted:

Lived in Portland for 50+ years, sorry :(

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

Zohn posted:

Arthur C. Clarke was essentially exiled to Sri Lanka for being a pedophile. There was a blind item in Vice years back about how it was open knowledge in his neighborhood to keep the kids away from the old famous English ex-pat.

One thing that stuck out to me in "The City and the Stars" was how, apropo of nothing, Clark mentions that the humans have been genetically engineered with no fingernails and retractable dicks. It got an extreme :catstare: out of me

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Zohn posted:

There's a bit in one of his books where a young boy of his acquaintance comes to him asking for movie funding and he lols at the presumption of it all, at the time it just seemed like a random anecdote but more recently I've been thinking a bit about what might have prompted that request

in terms of good authors, cj cherryh is one, she writes excellent books and does an adorable blog about maintaining her fish pond, getting older while being a working author and going horseriding.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

kalel posted:

She was hwite and very into eastern spirituality/religion, so :shrug:

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
i like hwite as an alternative to WASP to specify the exact blinding degree of white person you're trying to convey

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

skasion posted:

Lived in Portland for 50+ years, sorry :(

so what

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Reading Dune for the first time and almost at the end but don't want to finish because it's really good and everyone seems to say it's all downhill from here. I thought there would be more in here about the navigators and a lot of other things, but I guess that's all the later books?

I refuse to ever read Kevin J Anderson again after Darksaber.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Mulaney Power Move posted:

Reading Dune for the first time and almost at the end but don't want to finish because it's really good and everyone seems to say it's all downhill from here. I thought there would be more in here about the navigators and a lot of other things, but I guess that's all the later books?

Dune is a great book. Dune 2 is a good sequel. Dune 3 is about kids. Dune 4 is :kiss:. Dune 5 is weird. Dune 6 is even weirder.

There are no other Dune books.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

pnumoman posted:

Dune is a great book. There are no other Dune books.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Dune 3 has laser tigers and ghost possessions, it's great.

I just finished god emperor of dune last week, it gets weirdly :biotruths: and homophobic at times but it's a cool book. Also the 3000 year old incel wormmanchild with no dick is hilarious.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Grei Skuring posted:

Lol yeah I remember the fascist lady titties from foundation and earth. The whole sequence was like Han Solo loving Mon Mothma energy

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I shall cut my dick off.

How far has it gone, this thing you've done?

My dick is not my own.

You cannot do this!!

My dick is not my own.

Perhaps it is not too late for you to...

It is too late.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

Colonel Cancer posted:

Dune 3 has laser tigers and ghost possessions, it's great.

I just finished god emperor of dune last week, it gets weirdly :biotruths: and homophobic at times but it's a cool book. Also the 3000 year old incel wormmanchild with no dick is hilarious.

Yeah, the :biotruths: and homophobia sucks but the other parts are great.

Plus, who doesn't love climbing sploosh?

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.

If you've enjoyed Dune I would definitely recommend to keep reading the rest.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I am a little confused about what the deal is with the Fremen. They were on some other planet and Imperial raiders started getting them and planting colonies on Bela Tegeuse and Salusa Secundis? Why? So they're like space refugees, hiding on Arrakis? But they want to terraform it? Wouldn't they still need to hide?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

I am a little confused about what the deal is with the Fremen. They were on some other planet and Imperial raiders started getting them and planting colonies on Bela Tegeuse and Salusa Secundis? Why? So they're like space refugees, hiding on Arrakis? But they want to terraform it? Wouldn't they still need to hide?

They’re from Earth originally, migrated over thousands of years to a lot of other planets, got enslaved and oppressed on some of them (the Salusa Secundus thing is I think supposed to suggest that they represent part of the ancestry of the modern Sardaukar), eventually some subgroup (the ancestors of all the modern Fremen) fled to Arrakis and started living in the backcountry where nobody could tell them what to do. They do hide (most of their population is in the secret palmaries in the south which they pay the Guild poo poo tons of spice bucks to keep hidden from the universe as a whole) but nobody except them really cares anymore that they ran away from Emperor Clownass XXX five thousand years ago, it’s more like their history of cultural trauma has left them insanely paranoid and nobody else gets that. The terraforming thing is very recent, as in within living memory of the events of the first book. Before Kynes’ dad showed up they had no idea that such a thing was possible and were just really determined to cope with living in a hellish drug worm desert forever. One of the appendices to the first book is a short story about how that worked.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

read the dune books in pairs. this is the final answer

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

skasion posted:

Emperor Clownass XXX

Azathoth Prime
Feb 20, 2004

Free 2nd day shipping on all eldritch horrors.

skasion posted:

Emperor Clownass XXX

Emperor Spicelord Bonerhitler

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Azathoth Prime posted:

Emperor Spicelord NoBonerhitler

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

skasion posted:

Emperor Clownass XXX

Please don't doxx me

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Azathoth Prime posted:

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

skasion posted:

Emperor Clownass XXX

This is what the rock johnson calls vin diesel

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Azathoth Prime posted:

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

skasion posted:

One of the appendices to the first book is a short story about how that worked.

I love that story. “Man trips and falls on his own knife, becoming founding martyr of new religious movement” is just peak Dune.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

galagazombie posted:

I love that story. “Man trips and falls on his own knife, becoming founding martyr of new religious movement” is just peak Dune.

What do you call the mouse avatars that are everywhere all of a sudden?

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Mister Speaker posted:

What do you call the mouse avatars that are everywhere all of a sudden?

We call that one Mouseb'Ddy.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I bought the book on kindle and went straight to reading it. didn't even realize there was an appendix.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

I bought the book on kindle and went straight to reading it. didn't even realize there was an appendix.

Be careful with those Kindle editions. Dune is good, but the EU eds of Heretics and Children where full of typos from being scanned that weren't fixed when I read it in around 2018. which was nearly ten years after those editions came out. Ended up reading someone's dodgy ebook instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Arguing about the best Dune books is pointless. It’s not about the destination, it’s about the gholas we made along the way.