Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Justin_Brett posted:

I guess they don't claim it wasn't a good game but they also say it was basically a beta for an entirely hypothetical game. And I don't even know what a 'huge event game' is but it will be that too?

no. theyre saying that the first installments of games going from a 3ds to a hd platform being this good is promising for future games in the series. very not confusing at all frankly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Xenomrph posted:

Are the N64 games enhanced in any way or are they straight ports? I have a physical N64 with an Everdrive cart with every N64 game on the planet loaded on it so if I want the True N64 Experience I can go right to the source.

The enhancements are just what you'd expect from an emulator, ie save states and filtering options.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Stux posted:

yeah and what does the one before say
They edited the tweet out of their post because they were just trying to post the second tweet but twitter embeds always show the previous reply by default and it was incriminating to their argument. :xd: :holy: :laugh:

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Xenomrph posted:

Are the N64 games enhanced in any way or are they straight ports? I have a physical N64 with an Everdrive cart with every N64 game on the planet loaded on it so if I want the True N64 Experience I can go right to the source.

online multiplayer

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

why don't we have an Ice Emblem

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Andrast posted:

finally someone is asking the real questions

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

three houses wasn't very good for me. felt too obligated to run around the school doing unfun stuff

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
"Fire Emblem will be huge 2 games from now" is a weird take that seems to forget that FEH exists, is (or was) hugely popular, and likely drove a lot of people with new/renewed interest in FE to buy Three Houses when they might not have done so otherwise.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Looper posted:

online multiplayer

Well poo poo, that’s a bit of a game changer (literally :v: )

That’s wild that they’d build netcode for decades old games that didn’t even dream of online multiplayer

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

grieving for Gandalf posted:

three houses wasn't very good for me. felt too obligated to run around the school doing unfun stuff

I also played 150 hours of Persona 5 and was hungry for more, but somehow was turned off by the very similar time-off game flow of 3 houses. I think FE might just be one of those series where, I played the hell out of Awakenings and that was the correct lifetime total of FE for me.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Xenomrph posted:

Well poo poo, that’s a bit of a game changer (literally :v: )

That’s wild that they’d build netcode for decades old games that didn’t even dream of online multiplayer
It's just emulating the other person as player 2. It's not that fancy and it doesn't work particularly well.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Andrast posted:

Because Ice is weak to Fire, duh.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

American McGay posted:

It's just emulating the other person as player 2.
Wait, what do you mean? Like, it makes a virtual opponent?

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Xenomrph posted:

lol

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
hey has anyone else tried out the free demos for all the kingdom hearts cloud games

because wow is this garbage; I really want to play the rest of the series, but I also refuse to pay money for this what the hell

E: I don't think I'm even particularly demanding, but I would like for the video games I intend to purchase to be playable; this is not

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jan 26, 2022

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

hey has anyone else tried out the free demos for all the kingdom hearts cloud games

because wow is this garbage; I really want to play the rest of the series, but I also refuse to pay money for this what the hell

E: I don't think I'm even particularly demanding, but I would like for the video games I intend to purchase to be playable; this is not

not how, please describe

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Xenomrph posted:

:confused:

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Xenomrph posted:

The emulator has netplay, so you can get controller slot one and your friend across the internet gets controller slot two. The nes game is unaltered.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Xenomrph posted:

yup

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I played the demo for the first game. It played perfectly fine, as far as input lag or whatever. There was some framerate stuttering, I don't know how these versions play on the Playstation but I assume the stuttering is due to my internet since it can't be a "Switch can't handle it" issue. My Switch is about two feet from the router, but I am using wifi instead of a wired connection, so I imagine there's some hiccups, but as far as controlling it it felt really responsive and fine. Though again, this is based completely on me playing ten or fifteen minutes or whatever of only the first game, I didn't touch any of the other stuff from 1.5/2.5 and I didn't even bother playing the demos for 2.8 or 3. So those could be significantly worse.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

The Bloop posted:

not how, please describe

I only played it for like a minute, but it has real noticable input lag and a lot of framerate stuttering. Like even if you stand perfectly still and don't touch the controls, the soundtrack crinkles up every five seconds. I have literally never had an issue with input lag or framerates before, and have enjoyed video games my computer was definitely not able to properly run, but this is beyond my tolerance.

Maybe that's just the reality of cloud gaming and it sucks if you don't have a beefy internet connection, or maybe it sucks because I'm in Europe and my local server is poo poo, but, uh, if they don't do something to fix it I think they're gonna lose a lot of sales by having a playable demo.

E: aw dang I was kind of hoping it was a broader problem; if other people are running it fine, that means the issue is on my end.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jan 26, 2022

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I think there's only one actual bad bit of level design in Metroid Dread that could be tweaked (even if only because it got my dumb rear end good), and it's early on when you first get Missiles. There's a spot in a tall narrow room where it looks like you need to shoot a single-block gap and jump over to grab it and climb up into a morphball to roll on through to the other side, but you can't tuck-and-roll through yet so obviously you need to go find the Morph Ball or something elsewhere and get confused wandering around.

The actual answer is all the blocks above it are also missile blocks, but I think it's easy to get the wrong idea at first-glance if you've played other Metroid games before with the way the walls are sculpted.

Okay, maybe that and the game's love of one-time-only progression routes. Just let them be stuff that can be vaporized with Power Bombs or something, because a bunch of them make for lengthy unnecessary backtracking when you just want stray upgrades anyway.

This is the only time I stalled out in the entire game. It happened in my second play through, too. On the second time I was like “I remember getting stuck here two weeks ago but I’ll be damned if I remember what to do.”

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Snake Maze posted:

The emulator has netplay, so you can get controller slot one and your friend across the internet gets controller slot two. The nes game is unaltered.

That makes sense, thanks :)

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I'm enjoying FE3H but I'm really regretting not starting on hard difficulty. I also don't think the voice acting is that good, especially compared to something like DQ11. Granted there are a tonne of characters, but too many of them sound similar imo.

Chas McGill fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jan 26, 2022

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

E: aw dang I was kind of hoping it was a broader problem; if other people are running it fine, that means the issue is on my end.

Like I said I noticed the framerate stuttering too, it was incredibly noticeable, I don't really remember the music having any issues but I was playing with the volume fairly low due to people being asleep in the house. But yeah if you were having really bad input lag then that's almost certainly a problem with your internet, because for me the controls felt perfectly fine.

This is why cloud gaming stuff sucks, and yeah even if I wanted to play Kingdom Hearts again I wouldn't give them money for this.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

cloud gaming: not even once

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the best use case for cloud gaming is demos, and for trying stuff out

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

the best use case for cloud gaming is demos, and for trying stuff out

Pretty much. I don't install Xbox games anymore unless I play them more than a few times. Streaming is here, real excited for actual Netflix showing theirs off.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Bleck posted:

Three Houses would have been a perfect game if doing the between-quests stuff was just a menu I could browse through to get to cutscenes instead of having to watch Byleth jog through the monastery six hundred times.

I know this is neither here nor there but we haven't talked about Fire Emblem in a while and I needed to get it off my chest.

Monster Hunter, for me, hits this "you're actually walking through the menus" balance perfectly. FE3H just went a bit too ambitious with it with such a big space.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
An Emblem Of Fire & Ice

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Chronojam posted:

Monster Hunter, for me, hits this "you're actually walking through the menus" balance perfectly. FE3H just went a bit too ambitious with it with such a big space.

it helps that in MH rise you can bring up a literal menu and warp to the thing you want to do. never played FE3H though so idk if it has something like that.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

the rise hub is mercifully compact too. a blessing

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

b_d posted:

it helps that in MH rise you can bring up a literal menu and warp to the thing you want to do. never played FE3H though so idk if it has something like that.

The FE3H equivalent isn't granular enough so you usually still have some legwork to do after using the menu.

Some things are possible instead from the pre-fight deployment menu though, but definitely not everything. If you want you can keep the monastery stuff to a bare minimum and stick with menus for a perfectly good SRPG, but you won't get the full Hogwarts experience and won't minmax.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
the monastery in FE3H just isn't interesting enough to spend as much time as you do running around it

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Needs to be like majora mask so I can spy on Bernie sneaking eats

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Fire Emblem Snap

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

honestly it didn't occur to me that you could tag the same enemy more than once and I assumed it was a waste of ammo. Thank you.

You are not alone! You are the third person ive had to tell this trick too lol. I guess i get it, storm seems like its for multiple targets, but i experimented with it first thing and figured that trick out almost instantly

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

i'm pretty sure it tells you that in the tutorial and maybe shows it in the video. i understand that some people are too pro to read the instructions though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

If you are going to talk about being owned by Mario 64 please post accompanying footage of it tia.