Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Making myself happy (winning with a giant robot as my commander) is better than making other people miserable imo

EDIT: The cool thing is if you go off with this guy you incidentally loot a bunch of free/cheap interaction to your hand to protect the Oracle.

Shell of all the good rocks, the good artfact tutors in U and W, counter magic, silence effects, etc. Seems like it could be okay. W has good answers for RoL/Null Rod effects too.

fadam fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jan 26, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

fadam posted:

EDIT: Wait, you can because he's not actually a creature I just found out.

Shorikai is, in fact, the first noncreature, nonplaneswalker commander.

In black border anyway.

That's a lot of unique attributes.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

As an alt-win con are there any UW cards that can do something interesting with a bunch of summoning sick 1/1s?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

fadam posted:

As an alt-win con are there any UW cards that can do something interesting with a bunch of summoning sick 1/1s?

The Tomino Special.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I guess yea if you can find a way to Time Twister loop you can make an infinite army of 1/1s all of which can then feed that lol.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
To be honest I am spending zero attention on the pilots and they'll only come up if the other plans fail and I have to resort to actually using the Getter Robo* to fight things.

*It needs 3 pilots.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

To be honest I am spending zero attention on the pilots and they'll only come up if the other plans fail and I have to resort to actually using the Getter Robo* to fight things.

*It needs 3 pilots.

Ya 100% , but I've had my Oracle grasped before and absolutely wished I had some other way to win lol. The fact that you can reliably draw your entire deck AND make a shitload of 1/1s means adding Altar/Twister is a pretty free include I think.

EDIT: Thanks for posting that robot picture lol. I've been looking for a cool low colour commander and this really has be excited.

EDIT 2: Where I'm at right now:

fadam fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jan 26, 2022

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Anyone speak Phyrexian:

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
7 mana 5/5 no text

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

it's not going to be that horrible fake leak from strixhaven is it

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

fadam posted:

Anyone speak Phyrexian:

I think there is a 1:1 phyrexian->english alphabet now, but lmao I am not trying to read the world's blurriest runes

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

fadam posted:

Anyone speak Phyrexian:

When Jin-Gitaxias enters the battlefield, target opponent must make you a sandwich

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Pictures dead for me but I assume cards are halved/doubled but not the first one each turn

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Entropic posted:

the proper use of Isochron Scepter is to put Memory Lapse on it. It's not an instant win combo, but it will make your opponent miserable and that's what counts.

I got this assembled exactly once in an ultimate masters (I think?) draft and it was glorious.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

this is the card. discord link expired/blocked

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Given the second Vorinclex's effect was very different but still a key green effect I wouldn't be surprised if it was "The first spell you cast each turn cannot be countered. Counter the first spell an opponent casts each turn."

Maybe first noncreature spell

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jan 26, 2022

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
I suppose aggro/combo vehicle is an interesting space for a UW commander that hasn't really been touched on.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
IDK why the phyrexians are experimenting with gods and planeswalkers when all they need is to nut out a little oil and come back in a few centuries.

Also wasn't Tezz a bolas lackey? Dude really can't strike out on his own eh?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

IDK why the phyrexians are experimenting with gods and planeswalkers when all they need is to nut out a little oil and come back in a few centuries.

Also wasn't Tezz a bolas lackey? Dude really can't strike out on his own eh?

The Mirrodin Phyrexians have very different aims and goals from the original ones, iirc.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Strong Sauce posted:

this is the card. discord link expired/blocked

discord is just having a ton of issues today, card did not get erased from the memory of man

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Framboise posted:

I suppose aggro/combo vehicle is an interesting space for a UW commander that hasn't really been touched on.

It is kind of unfortunate that there's a ton of cool unique stuff about its design but in terms of applicability it is basically just a better Vega lol.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

aww man i just noticed the alchemy changes

soulhearder + inquisitor captain was just ever so much fun, especially backed up by ephemerate

"oh sorry im gonna barf out at least one creature every turn for no mana, often the one i most need"

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Given the second Vorinclex's effect was very different but still a key green effect I wouldn't be surprised if it was "The first spell you cast each turn cannot be countered. Counter the first spell an opponent casts each turn."

I can't believe they got to Eryao!

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

. Counter the first spell an opponent casts each turn."

That would be absurd

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

ilmucche posted:

That would be absurd

it does seem like the sort of thing that would require the "shuffle into library when it hits the graveyard" clause at minimum just because cheating it out would end games

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

I can’t get over how wimpy the P/T looks on the phyrexian text cards.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

LeafHouse posted:

What, you don’t like your Power and Toughness to look like a child’s scribbles?

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

LeafHouse posted:

Oh god, I just realized that we're probably getting alt frame cards in the LoTR set in Sindarin and the black tongue instead of english

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Silhouette posted:

Oh god, I just realized that we're probably getting alt frame cards in the LoTR set in Sindarin and the black tongue instead of english

Why didn’t we get AFR cards in Dethek and Espruar then I’m angry

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

I haven't played magic seriously since Thragtusk/Restoration Angel era.
what is the big complaint I keep seeing about monetization? I got into Arena, am playing Standard and it cost me sixty dollars. im a little annoyed they just nerfed the poo poo out of the deck I built, but I could easily buy in for a whole new deck and it still wouldn't cost as much as paper used to. paper prices aren't exactly cheap but don't seem out of line with my memory. what have I missed?

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

what is the big complaint I keep seeing about monetization? I got into Arena, am playing Standard and it cost me sixty dollars. im a little annoyed they just nerfed the poo poo out of the deck I built, but I could easily buy in for a whole new deck and it still wouldn't cost as much as paper used to. paper prices aren't exactly cheap but don't seem out of line with my memory. what have I missed?

It's really cheap/easy to build one or two good decks on Arena, but:
-Because all rares cost the same, spending wild cards on janky fun cards for brews feels bad.
-There's no way to liquidate cards so if you get tired of a deck after buying in and want to build something else, you have to start from scratch.
-If I want to buy a copy of card in paper or on MTGO I look up how much it costs, decide how much I want to spend, then buy it. With Arena its a bit more of a pain in the rear end and costs are more obfuscated. The optimal way is to buy/crack one pack at a time until you earn a WC/open the card you want. As someone willing to spend money on the game, I don't want to gently caress around with that, just let me spend my money on the card I want directly!
-Now that they can alchemize cards buying in to powerful stuff is kind of a liability because they might just nerf it to make it unplayable instead of banning it, so you don't get a wildcard OR a playable card. At least in paper/modo if the card is still playable in SOME format you can get some value back (for example: despite just getting banned in Legacy Ragavan is still a 90 dollar card).

Having played a bunch on both I think I like MTGO's economy better, but I'm not a F2Per.

fadam fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jan 26, 2022

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Expect to spend a lot of your capital on lands for a long while.
Try to draft when possible and do your dailies to suppliment your collection while you spend the rest of your wildcards on lands.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

It does feel lovely to blow a wildcard on a dual land. but it felt even shittier to blow $25 on a single snapcaster mage or overgrown tomb. i really hate shelling out for expensive cardboard that's only valuable because of the rules printed on it. Putting every rare on the same playing field value wise is something I actually like.

im pretty annoyed that arena is going to cripple my izzet deck and give me back 8 cards when I need to replace the other 52 cards also. but even this injustice is better than when they ban poo poo in paper.

maybe I was misunderstanding the monetization complaints and people are upset about paper prices. modern decks were really expensive ten years ago but they're actually unbelievable now.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

It does feel lovely to blow a wildcard on a dual land. but it felt even shittier to blow $25 on a single snapcaster mage or overgrown tomb. i really hate shelling out for expensive cardboard that's only valuable because of the rules printed on it. Putting every rare on the same playing field value wise is something I actually like.

im pretty annoyed that arena is going to cripple my izzet deck and give me back 8 cards when I need to replace the other 52 cards also. but even this injustice is better than when they ban poo poo in paper.

maybe I was misunderstanding the monetization complaints and people are upset about paper prices. modern decks were really expensive ten years ago but they're actually unbelievable now.

I also never understood the Arena hate. I play for about 30-45 minutes everyday, I don't spend gems or gold on useless cosmetics, and I am currently sitting at over 300 wild cards between Mythic and Rare.
Granted, I only play Standard, and have the tier 1 decks built out.
Feeling really good about avoiding Historic with all of these bullshit Alchemy additions.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

DangerDongs posted:

Granted, I only play Standard, and have the tier 1 decks built out.

Rewards being predicated on wins makes this a big deal, especially for people who don't play 30-45 minutes a day.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

I dunno if anyone is keeping up with the Kamigawa plot but looking up that Jin-Gitaxias art led me to one of the story posts and apparently The Wanderer is the empress of Kamigawa? Not where I thought they were going to go with that character, but neat.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Nighthand posted:

I dunno if anyone is keeping up with the Kamigawa plot but looking up that Jin-Gitaxias art led me to one of the story posts and apparently The Wanderer is the empress of Kamigawa? Not where I thought they were going to go with that character, but neat.

Yes, and Tamiyo is back on Kamigawa too.
And had a Nezumi kid!

I was talking about the story with some friends and basically every thread left in magic story is getting tied up here in Kamigawa

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Rewards being predicated on wins makes this a big deal, especially for people who don't play 30-45 minutes a day.

You make a good point. I guess starting a collection after the game has been going for a while would make that harder. I assumed it matched people in non-ranked games to players with similar collections.
I also have the collection I do, because I started on day 1 of the program.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Unranked has deck strength matchmaking, which would supposedly match new players playing underpowered new player decks against other new players with similarly underpowered decks, but also against established players playing bad decks with lots of bad cards.

This can lead to some perverse incentives where crafting some dual lands to make your deck objectively better actually means you start getting stomped by the people playing top-tier meta decks but playing them in the unranked queue for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
Having started right when arena released in open beta, I can't imagine doing it now.

I had the advantage of all the checkland and shockland sets being relevant and in standard when I started, now a new player will have to crack whole lot of packs from those old sets with few good cards or spend 80 wildcards to get them all. Building a mana base for historic from nothing seems like it would be awful.